daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2006, 05:12 PM   #21
Biakko
Fighting spirit

Likes (Received): 0

Korea is great ! ^_^

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM   #22
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

Dynamic Korea

It's amazing how South Korea emerged from being one of the world's poorest to one of the world's most dynamic economies.

It's also amazing that a country with no substantial mineral resources can develop their manufacturing/industrial sector into one of the world's largest. It can produce so much products, most of which entails the application of cutting-edge hardware technologies (S. Korea is a leader in certain key-technoloical fields such as: a. the mastery of making online games b. the development of LCD screens of unmatched resolution quality.)

A good example would be the success story of Samsung Elctronics. Samsung Electronics was no where near Japan's Sony when it began. But in a matter of a decade, Samsung has overtaken Sony not only in the field of innovation but also in overall revenue generation.

Now, S. Korea is engaging itself in, what others may call as, "vanity" projects. Imho, they seem to be a bit excessive relative to its demographic prospects (S. Korea will be a shrinking nation in the not to distant future). But, at least, its ambitious projects are not as over-ambitious and audacious as the ones in the Gulf Countries (i.e. United Arab Emirates--particularly the ones in Dubai).

Korea, indeed, has an uber-dynamic, though extremely centralized, economy.

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; February 1st, 2007 at 07:56 AM.
The Cebuano Exultor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:36 PM   #23
larven

Likes (Received): 2978

I've seen no evidence to suggest any of the supertalls are under construction and to be honest most of them have been around for quite some time...the phrase pie in the sky comes to mind. The construction photos shown of the Lotte Busan site show some activity but the great big hole they've dug is for the low rise element, not the tower. This can be confirmed by checking the site plan.
larven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:33 AM   #24
BOM
Alive

Likes (Received): 8

True, but it's better there being plans for supertalls than no plans at all.

c;
BOM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM   #25
allan_dude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Dynamic korea! i love you guys!
allan_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #26
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

So many 100+ floors towers in one (relatively small) country! Amazing!
HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #27
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

So its not just China and UAE having a construction cramped period then...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #28
Locomotive

Likes (Received): 0

Wow, are they gonna build all of them??
Locomotive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #29
BOM
Alive

Hopefully they'll build them all, but South Korea is somewhat infamous for not caring out plans.

You'll see South Korea building more supertalls in the coming years and following decade, because the government is working on opening the economy even more and South Korea is working on FTA's with the US, EU, China, and Japan making it the center of some of the biggest ecoomies in the world.

To be frank, South Korea wants to be the UAE of Northeast Asia (or atleast emulate Hong Kong and Singapore)

c;
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #30
feverwin
Peace-all the world needs

Likes (Received): 124

Like some unfinished building in Pyongyang...
Care your custom, that would turn to be personality;
Care your personality, because that decide your destiny!
feverwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #31
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1234

Hey!!! how did I miss this???? It's the country with more supertalls in the world, surpassing even China and UAE! Nor China neither UAE have so many buildings above 400 meters, a 550 m tall, 2 x 610 m tall, and much moreee!!!
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #32
vipermkk

Likes (Received): 5

why these buildings looks familiar,especially the IBC,reminds me another project extrmelly alike.
vipermkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:27 AM   #33
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15920

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOM View Post

S K E P T I C A L . P R O J E C T S

HUGE NEWS!!!!

Millennium Tower World Business Center, Busan, Korea
Friday 26 Jan 2007

Triple treat design wins

Asymptote wins competition for WBCB Tower, to be tallest building in Asia

On 25 January Asymptote Architecture, a New York based architecture practice led by principals Hani Rashid and Lise Anne Couture, has been awarded the Millennium Tower World Business Center (WBCB) in Busan, Korea through an international competition organized by the Busan International Architectural Culture Festival (BIACF) and sponsored by the Municipality of Busan City and the Solomon Group. The announcement was made on January 23 in Busan after a unanimous decision by jury members selecting Asymptote's ground breaking design of three separate tapered towers rising out of a robust and powerful base. The Solomon Group, a private Korean developer, intends to move forward with Asymptote's design for a 560m tall tower, which upon completion will be the tallest building in Asia. Asymptote's three-towered design for the World Business Center Busan is a newly minted approach where the notion of singularity and autonomy gives way to a strong juxtaposition of form and voids. Simultaneously a single entity, the towers are also read as three distinct forms set against Busan's dramatic natural backdrop of sea and mountains. The base of the tower artfully negotiates the site at the entrance level while from the top of the midsection the three slender towers rise above the skylobby level and gracefully taper upwards around a spectacular central void. Through its formal and sculptural qualities this unique architectural expression is a powerful symbol of 21st century Busan and a beacon for it's trajectory into the future and onto the global stage.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...&upload_id=840

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #34
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

to me S.Korea should at least have the 2nd tallest building in the world, becasue if you look at other countries that there helping build. they should get something in return. that's just my thought

Zefire liked this post
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:00 AM   #35
globill

Location: I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country.

South Korea has an advantage over places like Shanghai and Tokyo as it has solid bedrock (unlike Shanghai) and relatively little/minor earthquake risks (such as Tokyo).

Busan,Seoul, and Incheon are naturals for mega-talls.

"I told you what I thought about that when I said I do not trust Obama and I probably never will. He hasnn't proven anything to me or you yet but he has flapped his lips plenty. And that I guess, is enough for some of you smarties in here." nygirl
globill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:02 AM   #36
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
HUGE NEWS!!!!

Millennium Tower World Business Center, Busan, Korea
Friday 26 Jan 2007

Triple treat design wins

Asymptote wins competition for WBCB Tower, to be tallest building in Asia

On 25 January Asymptote Architecture, a New York based architecture practice led by principals Hani Rashid and Lise Anne Couture, has been awarded the Millennium Tower World Business Center (WBCB) in Busan, Korea through an international competition organized by the Busan International Architectural Culture Festival (BIACF) and sponsored by the Municipality of Busan City and the Solomon Group. The announcement was made on January 23 in Busan after a unanimous decision by jury members selecting Asymptote's ground breaking design of three separate tapered towers rising out of a robust and powerful base. The Solomon Group, a private Korean developer, intends to move forward with Asymptote's design for a 560m tall tower, which upon completion will be the tallest building in Asia. Asymptote's three-towered design for the World Business Center Busan is a newly minted approach where the notion of singularity and autonomy gives way to a strong juxtaposition of form and voids. Simultaneously a single entity, the towers are also read as three distinct forms set against Busan's dramatic natural backdrop of sea and mountains. The base of the tower artfully negotiates the site at the entrance level while from the top of the midsection the three slender towers rise above the skylobby level and gracefully taper upwards around a spectacular central void. Through its formal and sculptural qualities this unique architectural expression is a powerful symbol of 21st century Busan and a beacon for it's trajectory into the future and onto the global stage.

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...&upload_id=840
BEAUTIFUL!! I love the asymetric abstract qualities it embodies. Very stunning.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:30 AM   #37
BOM
Alive

Wow... someone revived the thread.
I thought it was deep in the thread graveyard...

W/e, glad it's back.

And I'm really excited to see the Busan tower looks amazing o_o!

c;
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:10 AM   #38
NachoGB

Likes (Received): 4468

orgasmic.....
NachoGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:32 AM   #39
Harryx5
Harry

Likes (Received): 11051

Awsome proyects