daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #81
BOM
Alive

Likes (Received): 8

Upcoming updates: Redesigning the Megacity - Seoul; Digital Media City; Fashion-polis; and perhaps a Magok R&D City section.

Expect a lot of information!
It might be up by Wednesday or later.

New Songdo City and Dureraum will be delayed for a later update.

c;
BOM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #82
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Songdo City? isn't that the area with the IBC?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #83
BOM
Alive

Digital Media City, Seoul gets the IBC

But -- New Songdo City gets the Incheon Towers and the Northeast Asia Trade Tower

There are tons of new city projects taking place all over Korea. It's kind of overwhelming.

c;
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #84
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

ah now i get it
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #85
BOM
Alive

Anytime P:

Does anyone know how tall the Hyundai tower will be?

c;

Last edited by BOM; March 7th, 2007 at 05:01 AM.
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #86
BOM
Alive

Updated the front page once again. If you like reading then you might like the new section.

The DMC section will be up next.

c;
Old March 11th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #87
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOM View Post
Okay, well I found out construction is going to start late this year and will be completed in 2012.

http://english.incheon2014ag.org/bbs...iew.asp?seq=20

UPDATE!
Also!
I updated the frontpage. There is no new content, just added a color scheme so it is easier to see which towers are u/c, proposed, accepted, and etc.
they got some wrong info on the Burj Dubai, it's not 700m it's 808m and it won't be completed in 2008

Zefire liked this post
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #88
BOM
Alive

Yeah, I noticed that as well.

I'm guessing they're just being conservative but I can't really say.

c;
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #89
BOM
Alive

With the up-and-coming new forums, it is likely that this compilation thread might bow out.

Expect more threads dedicated to Korean skyscrapers from yours truly, but nothing as broad as this thread was. It is likely that I'll concentrate on cities and/or metropolitan areas, not a compilation of the entire nation.

-- There is a chance, however, that if interest continues I won't disband the thread.

c;
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #90
Evangelion
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

i say continue updating.... i've enjoyed looking at your updates

Zefire liked this post
Evangelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 03:24 AM   #91
BOM
Alive

Thank you Evangelion :]

Well I made a little update ~ still not sure about the future of this thread P:

I particularly like the Yeioudo skyline, it looks very modern and classy.

c;
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:04 AM   #92
Sister Ray
Just like Sister Ray said

Likes (Received): 483

Quote:
Thank you Evangelion :]

I particularly like the Yeioudo skyline, it looks very modern and classy.
Yeah, that Yeoeuido skyline looks fantastic. Would love to see that come to pass. Especially with a refurbished Hangang park in front
Sister Ray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM   #93
Origami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Five of the tallest buildings in the World maybe in Korea by 2010:

Inchon Tower, likely to Start late 2007.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=314951

Quote:
Busan, South Korea to Have Tallest Tower in Asia
New York City-based architects, Asymptote, thinking tall with their design for the Millennium Tower World Business Center

by Tim McKeough

Asymptote Architecture is feeling big these days thanks to a competition win in Busan, South Korea. The New York–based firm’s design for the Millennium Tower World Business Centre features a three-pronged skyscraper that stands 560 meters tall—a height specified by competition organizers that’s expected to make this skyscraper the tallest in Asia.

“We made a decision not to do a single monolithic tower, which the other two competitors did,” says principal Hani Rashid, “but rather to introduce urban space up into the midsection of the building.” The lower portion, which will include 30 stories of office space, is capped by an indoor/outdoor public plaza and sky lobby. From there, visitors will ascend one of three tapered towers devoted to separate hotel, luxury residential, and office programs.

The competition was organized by the Busan International Architectural Culture Festival, and was sponsored by Busan Metropolitan City and the Solomon Group, a private company that will be responsible for developing the building. It is part of Busan’s Millennium Projects, which involve significant real estate development to further the city’s goal of becoming an international hub for business and culture. “From Dubai to Shanghai to Taipei, towers are a way that these cities, which are remarkable economic engines, are showing their prowess,” Rashid says.

A formal completion date and budget are still to be determined, but Rashid speculates that the earliest the building will be completed is 2010. Foreign Office Architects and UN Studio also participated in the design competition.
http://www.businessweek.com/innovate...ion+%2B+design
Lot more creative than Freedom Tower...

I wonder if there is a symbolic meaning behind this?

Quote:

Two lofty towers, Busan Lotte World at 107 stories and

the World Business Center at 106, are planned in Busan

While all over the world cities started high-rise building competition, Busan also plunges into the competition by constructing skyscrapers. To proudly compare with the world‘s high-rise buildings, Busan will host two skyscrapers.

High-rise buildings to be built in Busan

The design of 106-story Busan World Business Center(left) to be built at the Centum City. Haeundae district. The design of Asymptote was chosen through an international competition. It looks like three sailing ships spreading. 107-story Busan Lotte World will be built in the former site of Busan City Hall Jungang-dong, Jung district. It will be topping off at 510 meters.

■ Busan Lotte World

The site around the former Busan City Hall building in J ungang-dong, Jung district will house the 107-story Busan Lotte World, 510 meters tall, while the 106-story World Business Center Busan or WBCB will soar above Centum City in Haeundae district.

The former will be the fourth-tallest building built or being built in the world when completed. Busan recently approved the construction plan from Lotte Shopping Co. Ltd.

Lotte will open a department store and cinema in 2009 as the first phase. It plans to finish the construction completely, including the high-rise tower, by 2013. The high-rise tower will house a luxury hotel with 800 suites, an observatory and intelligent furnished offices. Cultural facilities and a department store will be located on the lower levels.

The edifice will bear some semblance to a standing ship, with grand curves conveying the city's harbor spirit. Also, the traditional Korean cheonhadaejanggun (guardian deity at the entrance of a town) will be engraved to make its image that of a powerful, cutting-edge gateway to Northeast Asia.

■ Busan World Business Center

Meanwhile, Busan selected a design by New York Asymptote for the WBCB, being built at Centum City, Haeundae district, through an international competition.

Its design looks like three sailing ships spreading.

The WBCB will include a 106-story building and two 51-story buildings, with a floor space of 396,696 square meters on a 26,446-square-meter space, and will start construction in March.

The world's high-rise building construction competition started with the 110-story World Trade Center at 417 meters in New York in 1972. Then the Sears Tower soared up to 443 meters in Chicago in 1974. In 1999, Petronas Tower in Kuala Lumpur followed with its 88 stories and 452 meters in height.

In 2004, Taiwan's Taipei 101 Financial Center at 508 meters broke the world record. In the next year, Dubai in the Middle East will have the 160-story Burj Dubai, the tallest building in the world. In Hong Kong, a 108-story International Commerce Center will be constructed by 2010.

http://english.busan.go.kr/community...nd=view&sn=582
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=416973&page=2

Kind of surprised there's not much news in Japan...

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by Origami; March 21st, 2007 at 07:15 AM.
Origami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:31 AM   #94
BOM
Alive

It is great to hear the WBCB is going be constructed this month!

It'll be exciting to see Busan in ten years or so.
Centum City and the North Harbor redevelopment are great projects, I wish I had photographs.

c;
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:46 PM   #95
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

we really need some pics from busan....if i would have enough money i would fly to busan and take pics
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #96
BOM
Alive

Here are some mixed images of apartments in Centum city and the Lotte Tower - none belong to me.
Furthermore, these pictures are somewhat old - like a year or two old. Nothing is really current.

c;
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #97
Origami
BANNED

I always thought Busan had more potential than Seoul. Seoul looks like an unorganized sprawl. I suspect there will be far better planning for Busan, since it's still yet to fully realize.

Busan section under Korea:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=58277

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by Origami; March 25th, 2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM   #98
BOM
Alive

Seoul is too massive to really deregulate laws and organize the architectural balance of the city in my opinion.

Busan has more potential, as you said, and it also has a beautiful coastline and it has nice beaches.

I suspect more skyscraper projects will move to Incheon and Busan until the military, in Seoul, finally becomes flexible.

c;
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #99
Origami
BANNED

Quote:
Seoul is too massive to really deregulate laws and organize the architectural balance of the city in my opinion.

Busan has more potential, as you said, and it also has a beautiful coastline and it has nice beaches.

I suspect more skyscraper projects will move to Incheon and Busan until the military, in Seoul, finally becomes flexible.
I think Seoul is too late. Are you a developer? I'd be surprised if all these can go up in three years.
I can only imagine the overruns, vanity runs high in East-Asia. Too bad Japan can't match it because of the earthquake problems.

Zefire liked this post

Last edited by Origami; March 26th, 2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #100
BOM
Alive

I suspect Seoul will see a skyscraper boom, not just a proposal boom, later than the other majors cities in Korea. Furthermore, in my opinion, Seoul will have a classier skyline than Busan, but it'll take further time to develop it. I think Busan will have a very sleek, semi-futuristic skyline, while Incheon will be something entirely different in the coming years.

In my perspective:
Seoul = classy skyline (late development)
Busan = sleek, innovative (Asian) skyline (developing already)
Incheon = mixed (developing slower than Busan)

I am actually excited for Incheon's skyline, because there will be such a mix of designers due to New Songdo City and the surrounding free trade zones.

And, no I am not a developer, haha. I just have a wide perspective and a bunch of free time.

Japan has to be practical about developments, and it is unfortunate that there is a chance of earthquakes throughout the country. But, that means Japanese developers probably think more innovatively than other developers/architects from Korea, Dubai, China, or SE Asia. Then again SE Asia has the potential for deadly earthquakes as well, but nonetheless the area is seeing great growth reminisct to Asian Tigers furious growth in past decade or two.

c;