daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1101
dinp
Wow

Likes (Received): 118

Wouldn't surprise me.

Sponsored Links

Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1102
CorbyCC10

Likes (Received): 0

Got a new pic of the Tesco site whilst driving past the other day, sorry for the low quality but I thought it diserved a post. Steel work about half way done now.

CorbyCC10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #1103
dinp
Wow

Good stuff, it doesn't take long to put these things together. I noticed yesterday that steelwork is also up for the Hungry Horse pub up by Wetherspoons. They haven't hung around there!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 02:59 PM   #1104
dinp
Wow

Good progress being made on Market Walk, to bring it into Willow Place. Looks a mess at the moment, but just look at the 'before' photo to see how dark and dingy it was before...

Before Willow Place
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1105
Rikmeister

Likes (Received): 1

I have to say when i was a kid the town centre was a great place to play in the evenings after school. All the upper and lower levels for games, the multi storey for bikes. Loads of nooks and krannies for hide and seek. The cinema which was always popular in the 70's and 80's. Westgate when it was the co-op department store which had all the retro computers set up on the top floor. The 80's were so good.

Try as i might i still cannot find good photos of the town centre from the 70's and 80's.... Asked the council and they couldn't help. Looked in books but all from the 50's and 60's and before. I want to see photos of the town when i was growing up. ( seen a couple of the old market in queens square but probably from the 90's )...

Any ideas.?

RIK
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1106
robbierunciman

I think that Corporation street and the Market square area should have been protected as a good example of 1950's new town architecture. The 1970's and 80's additions and the excretory Deene House ruined what was well designed. I hope that now that the shelters have been removed there is some attempt to work with this legacy. Market Walk changes - big improvement.
robbierunciman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1107
dinp
Wow

I completely agree Robbie. Now that the canopies have been removed on Corporation Street, it looks much cleaner and you can actually see the buildings, rather than the mess attached to them. The same will be true of Market Walk once it's all tidied up.

Deene House is hideous, but worse still are the two buildings in front of it - the Lloyds and Specsavers buildings. They ruin the whole way the old square used to function, so now you have dead spaces along Corporation Street, in front of Deene House, and near the Candle. If you took them away we'd have a proper square again, framed by the original town centre buildings (and Deene House but the ground floor of that could be improved). The square itself could be used for a variety of things - events, markets etc.

The new owners have got off to a good start with the Corporation St/Market Walk works. Will be interested to see what they do with the various vacant spaces above the shops. Personally i'd like to see:

- A Rileys (or equivalent) snooker/pool club
- A Nightclub

Maybe the TJ Hughes building could house both... there's a taxi rank right outside it as well which is handy.

And, strange as it may seem in relation to what I've just said above, I'd also like to see some private rent flats. There will be people who want to live in the town centre, so they can just walk to everything they need. And if there's more people living in the town centre WHO WANT TO LIVE THERE (as opposed to Housing Association tenants who may have less of a choice), there will be more demand for services. Watch this space I guess!
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #1108
CorbyCC10

Queen's visit to Corby tomorrow, anyone know what time they are likely to arrive at the town centre?
Old June 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1109
Rikmeister

The Queen is due at the cube at 3pm.

Would get there before that just incase.
I believe the cube and pool are the only areas she is visiting.

Supposed to be some big screens outside for the public to watch in the rain. lol
( Just looked at the forcast. Overcast with sunny spells but no rain it seems. )

I drove through George street at 6am this morning and have to say it looked great. Olympic flags out, the trees, grass and greenery around the area all looked good.

If they keep it nice and clean this summer then im going to get some nice photo's for sure.

The whole area is maturing nicely.

RIK
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1110
Rikmeister

Got some decent video and photos of the Queens visit this afternoon. Will put a video together over the next few days and link it on here..

Its on the local BBC and ITV news this evening and a special at the weekend apparently.

Was thousands there today.

RIK
Old June 14th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #1111
CallumK

I was working whilst she was here but can't say I'm too gutted I missed it.

Nice to see the A43 bypass work has finally started
CallumK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1112
CorbyCC10

Managed to get another drive by photo of the Tesco site, the steel is really shooting up now.

Plus I got some pics of the queen when she visited the town centre on wednesday.

Old June 20th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #1113
CorbyCC10

I was out and about yesterday enjoying the hot weather a got some new pics from Corby. The first is of the new Westliegh housing development opposite Harpers Brook and the second is a much better pic of the Tesco site.

Most of the steel is now finished at tesco and the timber framing looks huge.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1114
Rikmeister

Nice one CC10.

The rain must be playing havoc with the Tesco build. Battle of he Somme comes to mind.

Im off for two weeks now and im praying for a few days Sun so i can go on one of my walks. ( posted pages back. http://www.retroshak.plus.com/Walk )

The walk takes me right through St James so some good close up photos could be had.
Come on weather.. Get your act together..!!

RIK
Old June 24th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1115
robbierunciman

I see from the NNT (formerly the ET) that the Tesco is to be an eco store and there will good walking and cycling links to it. I hope that does not mean that the existing shared footpath/cycleway get a skim of tarmac (much needed but a bit crap). New off roads cycling routes linking the shop to Oakley Vale and Little Oakley, as well as the Station/Town centre link.
robbierunciman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1116
dinp
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbierunciman View Post
I see from the NNT (formerly the ET) that the Tesco is to be an eco store and there will good walking and cycling links to it. I hope that does not mean that the existing shared footpath/cycleway get a skim of tarmac (much needed but a bit crap). New off roads cycling routes linking the shop to Oakley Vale and Little Oakley, as well as the Station/Town centre link.
They're re-doing the roads between the traffic lights and the store, so there will be new paths/crossings etc there. The path runs straight towards the store, whilst the road snakes round into the car park.

The path through to EuroHub is also due for an overhaul and I think another path to Oakley Road (between the TA Centre and railway bridge) is also on the cards
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1117
dinp
Wow

The Hungry Horse... to be called the Chequered Flag after a naming competition is coming on well. Excuse the poor quality photo, but they're starting on the first floor now, which will house the manager's flats.

Old July 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1118
CorbyCC10

Got some new pics of the tesco site taken about a week ago. The first one is the store and the second where the petrol garage will be.

Old July 20th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1119
dinp
Wow

I was lucky enough to have a tour of the Tesco construction site earlier. It's a pretty vast site. Here's a few choice pics I took along the way:

View towards the building. Odd coloured steel you might say...

But look more closely at the entrance porch. That isn't steel at all...

Yep, my suspicions are confirmed. It is indeed timber!

This is the canopy to the front of the store

It isn't just the exterior with a timber finish either...

But for you steel enthusiasts, fear not. The warehouse section to the rear is steel-framed.

By this point the group were all getting muddy, so we cranked it up a level...

...onto the roof. Firstly the lower section of roof above the warehouse. This area will house all the ugly, but necessary plant equipment and will hide it from view

There's Crown House in the distance

Up again onto the main roof, and a chance to get in some views of the surroundings. Firstly towards St Marks Road

Improvements to St Lukes Road are well underway

Back down to earth again and at the back of the site, near the railway sidings. The soil around the site is well known for being toxic/contaminated. Note the white coating on this patch. Sulphate apparently

To the front of the site now, and work is well underway on the roads here as well. St James Road is being re-aligned to allow for the new petrol station to be built

This will be the customer entrance to the car park

Drainage hasn't been overlooked, just look at the size of those channels which will be underneath the car park surface!

Construction staff are well catered for as well. The smell of bacon from the staff canteen was making me hungry, and there's even this...

Big thanks to Barr construction for showing us round. Mud aside (which the weather hasn't helped with), I couldn't believe how tidy the site was compared to other construction sites I've been too.

Hoping to go round again as it nears completion. The aim is for the store to be open before Christmas. You would think it impossible from these photos, but now the basic building is in place, give it a few weeks and it'll look totally different. You don't really get a sense of how much has been done from the main road.
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #1120
Rikmeister

Excellent post dinp.

Size wise, how does it compare to Asda.? Doesn't look as big from the road.?

RIK

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: