daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Florida

Florida Welcome to the sunshine state

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2006, 04:32 PM   #1
HardRocker

Likes (Received): 1

Future Skylines

I know this has been posted before but I can't find it or t's the one I've seen. Does anyone have a picture of what Tampa's skyline will look like in the future, knowing all of the projects and such. (I'm asking all of these questions 'tampa in 10 years' because I may move there after college and I'm interested in its look.)

Sponsored Links

Old November 6th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #2
tampamobster21

Likes (Received): 20

I am going to call both colleges tomorrow and try to find out if they will let me have a rendering of the skyline.
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #3
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

We're gonna hold you to that, mobster21.
Quegiebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #4
tampamobster21

I called UT and no one answered, but when I called USF they connected me to a gentleman named Trent Green, who is the director or something of architecture at USF and I left a message with him, so lets hope it goes through.
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #5
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 23

Can someone tell me why the USF is in the Tampa area and NOT in South Florida?
ScraperDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #6
smiley

Likes (Received): 109

Yea, cause.
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #7
dmpeek77

Likes (Received): 0

Although located in west-central Florida, at the time of establishment USF was the southernmost public university in the State of Florida, a geographic situation that lent USF its sometimes confusing name.
dmpeek77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #8
dmpeek77

FYI I copied and pasted that from Wikipedia
dmpeek77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #9
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 3

because UWCTF was taken!!
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #10
zerobullchip
BANNED

It's better than U of F at temple terrace. It's named that because we let our government do what it does best.
http://usfweb2.usf.edu/history/struggles.html
Quote:
USF Site, Name Stirred Struggles
by Leland Hawes, Tampa Tribune, Oct. 30, 1986

By July of 1956 the case for creating a new state university for Florida had gained a powerful push from the Council for the Study of Higher Education.

The study, authorized by the Legislature, predicted an explosion of college students within the next 15-year period - from 45,000 in 1955 to 132,000 in 1970 (that number proved to be conservative).

The report also pointedly cited "one of the most pressing needs...establishment of a four-year university in the Tampa Bay area."

By then, St. Petersburg pitching for a campus that would include "1,000 acres of waterfront" (on Old Tampa Bay between Gandy Bridge and the still-contemplated Howard Frankland Bridge), other Florida cities began gunning for the state university.

Sarasota, Orlando, West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale put forth bids, as well.

Gibbons said he worried at first over all the rivalry, then concluded that it seemed taken for granted a new institution would be created.

The St. Petersburg Times blasted Tampa's proposed location as an "abandoned airfield in an area earmarked for industrial development." What's more, it was within a mile or two of the newly announced Schlitz brewery.

A Times sports column by Bill Beck attacked the location "on the back yard of a brewery" as "stunningly asinine." The column was illustrated by a cartoon of a bloated football player wearing a "Florida Brewers" jersey and derided the Tampa site as "Bottlecap U."

(Congressman Sam Gibbons, intensely involved in the struggle then as a state representative, said recently that the Tampa Industrial Park location was a "plus" because the legislature still was dominated by rural "Pork Choppers" interested in seeing it closer to their constituents.)

In October, the Board of Control made a crucial decision: That the new university would be established in Hillsborough County. But it held the competition open to a second site - the Bower Tract, bordering Old Tampa Bay east of Oldsmar.

Pinellas began pushing for the closer Bower location, not only because of its proximity but also because of its waterfront.

The St. Petersburg Times continued to lambaste the North Tampa site as subject to sinkholes. The Hillsborough group conducted test borings, and countered that the Bower acreage would require $5 million in fill to rise above high tides from Old Tampa Bay.

Gibbons recalled recently that a tour by Board of Control members of the Bower tract coincided with a "Northwester" that had sent water almost to Hillsborough Avenue. He felt that visit convinced them of its unsuitability.

Early in December 1956, the Board of Control voted 5-2 to accept the North Tampa site for a new university. But there was another hurdle to clear - the State Cabinet, acting as the Florida Board of Education.

Gov. LeRoy Collins expressed reservations, and there were worries that the battle would begin anew. Collins continued to hold doubts that state revenues would support a new university.

After one Cabinet delay, which undoubtedly triggered every ounce of political persuasion the Hillsborough forces could muster, the Board of Education agreed to the north Tampa location Dec. 18, 1956.

An addition 700 acres north of Fletcher Avenue, donated by Stanton Sanson, gave the North Tampa site frontage on the Hillsborough River and growing space to spare.

But the struggle wasn't over. The state, suffering a business slowdown, had little money to pour into a new university. Despite a Board of Control recommendation that $12 million be allotted, the first budget for planning came to only $600,000.

And the name for the new institution proved to be a nettlesome point. Although "University of Southern Florida" surfaced early, critics insisted Tampa really wasn't far enough south for the name to be accurate.

Other names swirled around for much of 1957: Gulf Coast University, Citrus State University, Sunshine State University, University of Southwest Florida.

Gov. Collins really stirred up a Tampa reaction when he raised the possibility of calling it "The University of Florida at Temple Terrace."

Aghast, Tribune Editor James Clendinen wrote that the name "wouldn't be known" outside of Tampa, since Temple Terrace was still a small suburban municipality.

The Cabinet apparently wearied of the fracas in October 1957 and finally settled upon the name University of South Florida. Its status as a full-fledged institution was assured.

By then, Dr. John S. Allen, a University of Florida vice president, had been appointed to take over the helm at USF.

Tall, dignified and commanding respect, Allen quickly gained area and state support as he went to work in a tiny office at the Hillsborough County Courthouse.

Before long, he had selected librarian Elliot Hardaway as the first staff member, and books started piling in.

Planner Milo Smith started charting the placement of buildings and streets between Fowler and Fletcher avenues.

At the groundbreaking, Gov. Collins wielded a shovel, along with high school juniors who were spotlighted as potential freshman at the university.

By 1960, classes were meeting in the first five buildings, with 1,993 students enrolled.

As Gibbons said the other day, growth has surged "beyond anybody's imagination."

With 164 buildings on the Tampa campus alone now, the university this year is educating more than 29,000 students on four campuses.

Branches operate at St. Petersburg, Sarasota and Fort Myers (and another is in the works at Lakeland).
zerobullchip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM   #11
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Likes (Received): 3

great read. thanks.
cwat212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #12
HardRocker

Im guessing no luck, mobster? Can someone just make one on photoshop or something? Please?
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #13
HardRocker

C'mon guys, I am not a photoshopper. All of the images I have seen look dated and like not very much much work was put in to them. I'd like to see, the Tampa Tower(s), Venu, Trump, The three skypoints, and maybe even tie in channelside.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:53 AM   #14
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 54

Can't you see that nobody is interested? Spamming the forums doesn't help. Please, stop asking every day. If someone wishes to do it, they will. Nagging members in the mean time won't encourage anyone to do it.

Last edited by Maxim98; December 2nd, 2006 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Typo
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 04:53 AM   #15
Quegiebo
SoHo

Hey HardRocker, your best bet is to ask one of the local newspapers or television stations to help out.

Sometime last year, the St. Pete Times did a story about St. Pete's future skyline with graphics and all...

maybe you can "guilt" the Tampa Tribune into doing something similiar regarding Tampa's future skyline.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:31 AM   #16
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim98 View Post
Can't you see that nobody is interested? Spamming the forums don't help. Please, stop asking every day. If someone wishes to do it, they will. Nagging members in the mean time won't encourage anyone to do it.
lol
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:19 AM   #17
Maxim98

Likes (Received): 54

delete
Maxim98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:24 AM   #18
jh28wd40

SP Times story

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/03/19/skyline/

This is the article I believe.
jh28wd40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:28 AM   #19
tampamobster21

Now if they did something like that for Tampa, but I honestly do not see all of those being completed or started by 2008.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:28 PM   #20
Quegiebo
SoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobullchip View Post
It's better than U of F at temple terrace. It's named that because we let our government do what it does best.
http://usfweb2.usf.edu/history/struggles.html
Wow! I don't know how I missed your post but I'm glad I caught it this a.m. Very informative.

Thanks for the history lesson, zerobullchip.