daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #221
brett7three
Insert Cheesy Slogan Here

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
does anyone know why this development wasn't designed to make use of the waterfront? seems like tweaking its location a bit could have put a lot of the retail and entertainment activity right smack on the river.
I would hope that the city has in mind to increase the height of the area around the river south of the loop significantly. It's a ripe spot for a supertall, and the river view could demand a good $. Not to mention, we have to maintain our pride in Chicago and keep the city that invented the skyscraper and the architectural capital of the world alive with respect to both.

In short, I would like to see something tall and beautiful along the river south of the loop.
brett7three no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM   #222
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7three View Post
I would hope that the city has in mind to increase the height of the area around the river south of the loop significantly. It's a ripe spot for a supertall, and the river view could demand a good $. Not to mention, we have to maintain our pride in Chicago and keep the city that invented the skyscraper and the architectural capital of the world alive with respect to both.

In short, I would like to see something tall and beautiful along the river south of the loop.
Supposedly, one of the buildings in the multi-building development on Harrison/Wells just north of River City could be 80 stories. I know that an article on this possible development was posted on one of these threads maybe 2-3 weeks ago.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #223
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Supposedly, one of the buildings in the multi-building development on Harrison/Wells just north of River City could be 80 stories.
Actually, the Near South Community Plan sets a limit of 440 feet for the Franklin Point district.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #224
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #225
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Actually, the Near South Community Plan sets a limit of 440 feet for the Franklin Point district.

Do you already need another lecture on what a guideline is and how this particular guideline is outdated? Really, what are you out to prove?
Old July 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #226
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

That height limit is needed, to reduce the morning shade on the river and the evening shade in Dearborn Park.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #227
brett7three
Insert Cheesy Slogan Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
That height limit is needed, to reduce the morning shade on the river and the evening shade in Dearborn Park.
Shade on the river? Is that a problem?
brett7three no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #228
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

WHY!!?!??!!?!
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #229
InTheLoopSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post

Are you serious or just putting us on? (of course sometimes sarcasm - which I hope you were trying to express - does not translate so well online)
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #230
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopSam View Post
Are you serious or just putting us on? (of course sometimes sarcasm - which I hope you were trying to express - does not translate so well online)
I think he was being sarcastic, pretty much making a "shade" comment along the lines of something that Mr. Downtown would say.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #231
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopSam View Post
...sarcasm - which I hope you were trying to express - does not translate so well online...
Agreed, but I figured the pure insanity of the actual statement would be enough of a clue for most people. (I have a personal aversion to emoticons and using 'lol'). I can't think of any 'real' reasons why height should be limited along the river. It works so well for the east and near south branches, and I'm hoping it will continue south down to 18th street.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #232
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Perhaps the moderators would be willing to create a "Franklin Point Development News" thread and move the last several posts, as this has nothing to do with the Roosevelt Collection. Presumably we will have Franklin Point news to discuss in the next few weeks.
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:27 AM   #233
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWolf55 View Post
On the second tower, would you consider employing a similar strategy that the Blue Cross / Blue Shield did with vertical expansion. Since you could vertically expand your building as oppose to finding and buying new additional land.
Not economical.

Think about it: the foundation and lower floors of the building will need to be engineered and built to sufficiently hold up of the "complete" building. That puts a lot of costs upfront, with zero guarantee of return during this lifetime -- look how long it's taken to put the tower atop Union Station. Meanwhile, you still have to compete with the guys next door on price, even though your building cost twice as much to build (per square foot).

BCBS could afford those upfront, long-term costs since they, as an owner occupant, did not have high-interest, short-term construction loans (of the variety that condo developers are utterly dependent on) to pay off.

In addition, the liability risk of sending a wayward I-beam through a condo owner's bedroom is much higher than sending one into a hotel room that you own and manage.

Plus, we've proven many times that Chicago's zoning is more of a gentle suggestion than a requirement, so finding additional land is easy. Any parcel, anywhere, can sprout a building of whatever size needed.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:22 AM   #234
RavenWolf55

Short term gain vs. long term again. It really depends on the developers and their assets and overall goals. Many of your view points hold true on the short term gain. But each developers are different. But most I gather will perer to fallow he former rather then the later. It was a long time since I last posted that, surprise it received a reply. I was surprised to discover the change to the stairs on this project, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
RavenWolf55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:26 AM   #235
RavenWolf55

Hmmm Zoning may not be as easy with new alderman and the occasional NIMBY neighbors.
RavenWolf55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #236
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I looked at the website and now there is a controllable webcam available.

http://www.rclofts.com/constructionCam.html

It's also useful to see the progress of other South Loop projects.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #237
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Crane was erected yesterday.
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #238
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Construction financing has been secured:

http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/n...10-25&id=26899
Old October 26th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #239
Chicagotom

What ever happened to Centrum? If your out there lurking we all could use some inside updates?
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #240
PrintersRowChemist

Post a question and maybe he'll answer. Nothing is going on in this thread except typical gum-flapping about the pros and cons of the NSCP.
PrintersRowChemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote