daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #281
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
5. Anyone know what the story is with the property south of the Paper building? It looks like with the relocation of Financial, the lot has only about 100' from public way to public way. That is not enough to get two bays of parking (very ineifficent for parking garage/podium) and likely will result in lack of interest for the property (it has been for sale for a long time). It seems inevitable that it will now be a surface lot for a very long time.
^ Well, a building without a podium could be built, with either below grade parking or (gasp!) no parking. I'm sure the latter is not fathomable given the prevailing assumption that cars absolutely must be accommodated everywhere, but it's indeed very possible, desirable, and should be encouraged (although it obviously won't be).

Last edited by The Urban Politician; February 11th, 2008 at 12:33 AM.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #282
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
5. Anyone know what the story is with the property south of the Paper building? It looks like with the relocation of Financial, the lot has only about 100' from public way to public way. That is not enough to get two bays of parking (very ineifficent for parking garage/podium) and likely will result in lack of interest for the property (it has been for sale for a long time). It seems inevitable that it will now be a surface lot for a very long time.
The site is currently zoned DX-5. The site could easily accommodate a 4-5 story apartment building or a row of townhouses. That may be the only hope for development - either that, or some sort of use that requires little to no parking. I could see a retail-only building there - maybe restaurant space and some small shops?

I know of no CTA plans to run rail lines along or near Clark, but they may increase frequency on the #24 to account for all the new residents.

Last edited by ardecila; February 11th, 2008 at 04:36 AM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #283
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The site is currently zoned DX-5. The site could easily accommodate a 4-5 story apartment building or a row of townhouses. That may be the only hope for development - either that, or some sort of use that requires little to no parking. I could see a retail-only building there - maybe restaurant space and some small shops?
I suppose the proposed parking podium for the apartment across the street will be lined with townhouses so it can't be that oud of the question. A 4-5 story apartment building would probably only need one level of parking so that might work. I just get the feeling that if the owner could not get the money he wanted from Centrum (presumably they inquired because they bought everything around it) that this guy wants more money than what a retail or 4-5 story apartment building can bring in. They have the same issue at the big parking lot at the SEC of Congress and Dearborn. Someone at one point mentioned this property... just seeing if someone like Mr. Downtown knows something we all don't.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #284
smurf
Smurfy Smurf

Roosevelt Collection from the Target Parking lot

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Amli 900
image hosted on flickr
smurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #285
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
I just get the feeling that if the owner could not get the money he wanted from Centrum (presumably they inquired because they bought everything around it) that this guy wants more money than what a retail or 4-5 story apartment building can bring in.
I'm not sure who the owner is anymore. The city must have bought part of the parcel in order to shift Financial Place to the west. Perhaps they own all of it. If that's the case, then the city may be withholding the land for an RFP at a later date, or they may refuse to sell to Centrum in order to bring a different developer in and break the monotony.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #286
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
1. CDOT says they are adding a left turn lane for southbound traffic onto Taylor from Wells... where does this go to?
Excellent question. I was under the impression that the park begins at the south line of Taylor.

Quote:
any plans for CTA lines along Clark
Already served by the 24 and 129, and the terminal of the 22 and 36 is at less than a block away, at Polk.

Quote:
Anyone know what the story is with the property south of the Paper building?
Just that it's been advertised for sale in Crain's in recent months. You raise a good point about the inefficiency for parking, which I've been told is also the problem with the surface lot at Dearborn/Harrison. I think with condo spaces, you could do one row of parallel spaces to get around this:

Centrum bought property solely from the big Walsh-Higgins parcel, so they may not have tried to buy this parcel.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; February 11th, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #287
Centrum

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
When are they going to build that 9th street connection to Clark?
CDOT is not building the connection with this phase of the project. I do not know when that connection will go in.
Centrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #288
Centrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
So, to the best of your knowledge, the highrise portion is moving forward and will be a part of this phase?
It's the second phase of the Roosevelt Collection project and it will move forward.
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #289
Centrum

We've been taking some panoramic pictures of the project. Can I PM them to someone to post?
Old February 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #290
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Sure, you can PM them to me if you'd like.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #291
PrintersRowChemist

Quote:
I suppose the proposed parking podium for the apartment across the street will be lined with townhouses so it can't be that oud of the question. A 4-5 story apartment building would probably only need one level of parking so that might work. I just get the feeling that if the owner could not get the money he wanted from Centrum (presumably they inquired because they bought everything around it) that this guy wants more money than what a retail or 4-5 story apartment building can bring in. They have the same issue at the big parking lot at the SEC of Congress and Dearborn. Someone at one point mentioned this property... just seeing if someone like Mr. Downtown knows something we all don't.
I heard directly from someone-who-knows at Centrum that the owner of the parcel wanted 2-3x market value for that piece, and/or wanted to participate in the development. Total non-starter, and hence, it is still available.
PrintersRowChemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #292
PrintersRowChemist

Quote:
I'm not sure who the owner is anymore. The city must have bought part of the parcel in order to shift Financial Place to the west. Perhaps they own all of it. If that's the case, then the city may be withholding the land for an RFP at a later date, or they may refuse to sell to Centrum in order to bring a different developer in and break the monotony.
No, from what I understand this is a private owner. He thinks he is holding a gold mine.

How does the shift of Fin Place impact the lot south of 801 Wells? Are we talking about the same parcel?
Old February 14th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #293
Centrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowChemist View Post
I heard directly from someone-who-knows at Centrum that the owner of the parcel wanted 2-3x market value for that piece, and/or wanted to participate in the development. Total non-starter, and hence, it is still available.
is this is the site north of 9th and west of financial? If so, he plans to hold that site for a while, based on my last conversations with him.
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #294
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrum View Post
is this is the site north of 9th and west of financial? If so, he plans to hold that site for a while, based on my last conversations with him.
yes, that is the site we are discussing. that's a shame. i suppose it means slightly less competition for your product, but it also means that the neighborhood will be marred by an unsightly, unimproved gravel lot where cars are jammed in like sardines.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #295
PrintersRowChemist

Hey Centrum,
Was contribution to the Wells Street Improvement as a contingency for approval and entitlement of the project? Any dollar amount and/or percentage of the total cost of WSI you wouldn't mind sharing?
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #296
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Construction update. I hadn't realized the "loft" buildings would go this tall.

Old April 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #297
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

It's almost topped-out, if the renderings on their website are to be believed. Only roof structures remain.

Apparently they haven't started the west buildings yet.

After visiting Atlantic Station, I'm more re-assured about this development. The stairs at the north end, if they come out well, seem like they will tie the development into the city fairly well. If there is street-level retail along Wells, then I don't see this as being any worse than North Bridge at Rush/Illinois.

Last edited by ardecila; April 20th, 2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #298
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
The stairs at the north end, if they come out well, seem like they will tie the development into the city fairly well.
There's no retail along Wells, just parking garage entrances.

And the stairs have been value-engineered so they're now little more than exit stairs. They will certainly not invite anyone to approach on foot from the north and climb up three flights to sneak in the back entrance by the cinema. They'll shout "go back home, you loser, until you're wealthy enough to drive here like a real Amurkin."
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:43 AM   #299
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrum View Post
The width of the stair had to be reduced b/ CDOT is installing an 8' sewer on the western edge of the stair. We cannot build over it. You might have seen an older design. I think our new design is very attractive and more grand.
I asked about the value-engineering last fall, and this was the response I received. The remark about the "older design" makes me think that perhaps you and I both saw the same unexecuted, older design. Of course, it could also be the Centrum guy tooting his own horn, which is pretty likely.

The lack of retail along Wells is extremely disappointing, and a huge missed opportunity. I saw a nice rendering a while back that depicted the area with a ground-level street grid, and shops under the Roosevelt viaduct. I'm starting to pine for that now, even though it was low-scaled.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:47 PM   #300
Chicago3rd

Likes (Received): 1

April 6, 2008
Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote