daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM   #301
trvlr70

Likes (Received): 0

Is anything planned for those hideous parking lots directly south of River City along the river?
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM   #302
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Not yet.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:59 PM   #303
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM   #304
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

As far as I know, the owner of the riverfront site is Jos. Cacciatore & Sons. I don't know of any specific plans for the site since the later phases of River City were cancelled, unlike the Riverside District to the south and Franklin Point to the north, both of which have had relatively recent development plans released to the public.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #305
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
April 6, 2008
^ Ugh...

I'm so turned off with how this entire part of town is developing.

No grid, lots of stand alone garages, and the fugly Dearborn Park...

Last edited by The Urban Politician; April 24th, 2008 at 04:54 AM.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #306
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:08 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #307
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Ugh...

I'm so turned off with how this entire part of town is developing.

No grid, lots of stand alone garages, and the fugly Dearborn Park...
It has come a long way from five years ago... when there was literally nothing. Once they punch 9th Street through the tracks, build Taylor Street, finish Wells and extend Southerly, the grid will be slightly better. The garages once everything will be built out should not be too bad stashed by the tracks - better than up agaisnt the street (although without retail it isnt great). You gotta figure at some point they are going to open up Dearborn Park (try to open up the streets / redevelop portions of it) - dont hold your breath!
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #308
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

i know this might be considered a stupid question for most of the forum but is Dearborn Park a gated community? from the picture above, it looks like a gc... a very very sad way to live in the city. sorry for my ignorance, i have never been in that area for the six years i've lived in Chicago.
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #309
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_addict View Post
i know this might be considered a stupid question for most of the forum but is Dearborn Park a gated community? from the picture above, it looks like a gc... a very very sad way to live in the city. sorry for my ignorance, i have never been in that area for the six years i've lived in Chicago.
Sort of - more like a walled community. Anyone can really walk through there... but there are only a few access points for both pedestrians and cars.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #310
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

You can walk into it, but not through it. You can only enter on the north and east sides, and the west/south sides are basically an unbroken wall. Many of the residents like this, because people cannot drive or walk through their neighborhood to reach places on the other side, and so their neighborhood becomes very quiet and isolated.
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #311
Chitowner245

^ F' em'
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #312
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You can walk into it, but not through it. You can only enter on the north and east sides, and the west/south sides are basically an unbroken wall. Many of the residents like this, because people cannot drive or walk through their neighborhood to reach places on the other side, and so their neighborhood becomes very quiet and isolated.
seems a little short sighted to me. when properties are connected and part of the same exciting street scape, everybody's property is more valuabe.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #313
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
seems a little short sighted to me. when properties are connected and part of the same exciting street scape, everybody's property is more valuabe.
What's that? The big picture, you say? Never heard of it.
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #314
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
when properties are connected and part of the same exciting street scape, everybody's property is more valuabe.
As evidenced by the premium homebuyers pay for a property on a cul-de-sac.

At any rate, the city came and installed speed bumps on the cul-de-sacs in Dearborn Park I last week. No one seems to know who wanted them or why. Apparently the wheels were set in motion when Haithcock was alderman.
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #315
paytonc
Pragmatist

Quote:
Opening up to the neighborhood doesn't add value when the surrounding neighborhood consists of vacant lots and empty railyards, which was the case when Dearborn Park was built. Times change, you know, and one of the fascinating things about cities is reading the layers of history (social, economic, environmental) that are encoded in the built environment around us. We can regret decisions made in the past that, in retrospect, were not the best ones -- but which might have made sense to someone in the past. And meanwhile, we can hope that future generations will look as kindly upon the decisions that we make today.

(If you really want to get ticked off about poor connectivity, try walking the riverwalk up either side of the north branch in River North/River West sometime.)

The original plan for River City would've cost billions of dollars. Very few of those grand Modernist megastructure schemes ever got built for good reason: they ran out of money in their quest to have cities grow mechanically, not organically. The few that did get built look preposterously overplanned and hopelessly inflexible in retrospect: Illinois Center, Renaissance Center, Peachtree Center, Front de Seine.
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:37 AM   #316
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
As evidenced by the premium homebuyers pay for a property on a cul-de-sac.
^ Yet some of Chicago's most expensive property is not located on cul-de-sacs.

If it's a great neighborhood, I don't think it matters. The south loop was a shithole when DP was built, but as it improves as a neighborhood I"m wondering how important having a blind-ending street will really be weighed against the pressure of a growing community that faces congestion
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #317
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Yet some of Chicago's most expensive property is not located on cul-de-sacs.

If it's a great neighborhood, I don't think it matters. The south loop was a shithole when DP was built, but as it improves as a neighborhood I"m wondering how important having a blind-ending street will really be weighed against the pressure of a growing community that faces congestion
it really isn't very forward thinking, is it? you don't build a community of this size without thinking more about its future environment than the present one.

I'm in total agreement with you, Urban; we're dealing with a serious lack of logic. And in real answer to your point: there will come a time when they will need to poke an expensive hole(s) in the interior of RC and connect it with more of the "outside world".

Perhaps the developers should have studied the history of the fortress Circle before it morphed into the open and green UIC.
Old April 30th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #318
edsg25
BANNED

related:

Big mistake or not: orienting RC to the riverfront rather than on a north/south axis in the middle of the project?
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:48 AM   #319
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

I'm not sure why this keeps getting asked. Roosevelt Collection is not within 300 feet of the river.
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #320
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Precast Begins

May 10, 2008