daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #321
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Nice shots. I have a thing for canyonized rail ROW's, and this one looks like it's turning out that way.

I'm assuming that the DOT will remove the railings from the Roosevelt Bridge where it interfaces with Roosevelt Collection, right?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #322
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #323
Centrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
There's no retail along Wells, just parking garage entrances.

And the stairs have been value-engineered so they're now little more than exit stairs. They will certainly not invite anyone to approach on foot from the north and climb up three flights to sneak in the back entrance by the cinema. They'll shout "go back home, you loser, until you're wealthy enough to drive here like a real Amurkin."
We have about 6000sf of retail along Wells Street.
Centrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #324
Centrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowChemist View Post
Hey Centrum,
Was contribution to the Wells Street Improvement as a contingency for approval and entitlement of the project? Any dollar amount and/or percentage of the total cost of WSI you wouldn't mind sharing?
Many years ago a TIF was approved to do the Wells Street work. I do not know how much the work costs - MQ is doing the work for CDOT.
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #325
Centrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ Nice shots. I have a thing for canyonized rail ROW's, and this one looks like it's turning out that way.

I'm assuming that the DOT will remove the railings from the Roosevelt Bridge where it interfaces with Roosevelt Collection, right?
The Roosevelt Road intersection should be done this year.
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #326
Centrum

we are starting the steel in the theater this week, if anyone is interested.
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #327
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 19th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #328
Centrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Thanks for the updates Centrum!

Besides Kerasotes, could you list some of the major tenants that have been locked in?

I am especially interested in the book store tenant.
I cannot release that information yet. I can tell you that we are getting great traction and will have a number of leases to announce soon.

We've also written 6 new resi contracts over the last three weeks.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM   #329
paytonc
Pragmatist

Forgive your forebears, for they knew not what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
it really isn't very forward thinking, is it? you don't build a community of this size without thinking more about its future environment than the present one.
And when Dearborn Park was planned in the 1970s, how could anyone have predicted what the South Loop would look like in the late 2000s?

Take some time to read plans and predictions from that era; very little of it had any prescience whatsoever. (And no, even though I work in the planning biz, I'm afraid to say that we probably haven't gotten much better at crystal-ball-gazing since then.) And even if City Hall actually did write binding, official City Plans, and the Central Area is the only part of town where it even pretends to do so, what were the chances that its ideas would come to fruition? Distributor subway, anyone?

In the 1970s, some people genuinely planned for River City to become an inwardly focused monster complex three times as big as Presidential Towers -- or half again as large as Robert Taylor Homes. (Note how wonderfully River City, as built, meets the street. And yes, the original plan would have used a Section 8 mortgage, which could have filled it with public housing tenants.) The demographic trends were perilous: the city's population dropped over 10% in the 1970s, with a net loss of 300,000 people (the population of Pittsburgh or Tampa!), all while the city's poverty rate increased 24%.

Hindsight is 20/20.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM   #330
Satan's Mile Boy
South Loop Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centrum View Post
we are starting the steel in the theater this week, if anyone is interested.
Hurry up... finish the freakin movie theaters I'm tired of going up north to watch a movie. Has the completion date changed?
Satan's Mile Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #331
Centrum

no, we are on schedule and plan to open October 2009. Steel for the theater is going up as we speak.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:01 AM   #332
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
no, we are on schedule and plan to open October 2009. Steel for the theater is going up as we speak.
I always thought that the theater was going to be on the very southern edge of the entire building structure, with the residential units on the west and east edges (which are on top of two floors of retail). I can't tell for sure, but looking at the steel for the theater today, it looks like the theater is going up on the west edge of the entire building structure???
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM   #333
Centrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
I always thought that the theater was going to be on the very southern edge of the entire building structure, with the residential units on the west and east edges (which are on top of two floors of retail). I can't tell for sure, but looking at the steel for the theater today, it looks like the theater is going up on the west edge of the entire building structure???
Theater is on the north side of the building on both the east and west sides. It sits on top of the first retail level.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #334
Sir Isaac Newton

Quote:
Theater is on the north side of the building on both the east and west sides. It sits on top of the first retail level.
Oops....I meant to say northern edge! Thanks for the clarification.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #335
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Taken today:
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #336
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Centrum, I'm curious why the theater is being framed in steel rather than concrete like the rest of the center. It seems like concrete would have fewer problems with sound transmission.
Mr Downtown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #337
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but has there been any thought about building over the Metra tracks? It just seems like a great opportunity to make use of what could end up being unused air rights
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #338
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Sorry if this question has been asked before, but has there been any thought about building over the Metra tracks? It just seems like a great opportunity to make use of what could end up being unused air rights
didn't they do this on some of the Museum Park buildings?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #339
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

I notice that Roosevelt Collection's retail floors are cantilevered out toward the tracks about three feet further than the parking levels. I suppose it's possible that Metra agreed to accept a narrow maintenance easement extending beyond the tracks up to +25 feet only, but that's very unlike Metra.

Originally, Metra's interest was a "relocatable easement," which raised hopes that the tracks could be moved to allow easier development both here and on the Riverside Park tract. But the Riverside Park PD and the 2003 LaSalle Park amendments changed that, giving Metra ownership of the current track ROW.

Anyway, these three tracks are small potatoes for development. I'd love to see something over the Amtrak/Metra yards between the river and Canal. An Olympic stadium, for example.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; July 12th, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Mr Downtown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #340
Centrum

Quote:
No thought was given. If Centrum had owned all the land between clark and the metra we might have though about this, but w/out that land there was no reason to bridge over.