daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2011, 02:14 AM   #361
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...uare-foot-void

Roosevelt Road developer must fill 300,000-square-foot void
By: Alby Gallun June 13, 2011

...To improve the project, the developers plan to raze retail buildings in a median at the center of the project, converting the space into a public plaza with landscaping, water features and children's play areas.

“In its present condition, it's not very inviting,” Mr. McCaffery says. “It's not very pedestrian-oriented and it doesn't strike you as a place to quote-unquote gather. If we can do things that make it more of a place to gather, there is a market for that down there.”
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #362
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I actually like the plan to raze the median retail buildings and replace with public space.

It will make it look more like a true neighborhood and less like a shopping mall.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #363
nicksplace27

Likes (Received): 2

It'll transform it into the biggest courtyard building in all of chicago... I like it.
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #364
The Urban Politician
The City

^ In a sense, I have always thought of this development as just that--a massive courtyard building
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #365
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

As always, I'm a little worried. The idea that a retail center needs an empty unprogrammed "gathering spot" in the middle just doesn't ring true. I fear that it's simply a ploy to create short-term parking up there to lure convenience-type retail. I would have thought the center restaurant pavilions would have been the easiest to lease if it were going to remain a lifestyle center.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #366
The Urban Politician
The City

^ It's more than just a retail center--it's an actual neighborhood. Besides, where did they talk about parking? They said they are looking to create public plazas and water features.

Besides, a little bit of diagonal parking may not be a bad thing.
Old June 16th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #367
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

^They could start by actually building the park they are obligated to build at the north end, and the stairway down from the cineplex. The part that doesn't make sense to me is tearing out the center's only black-iron spaces. I think it's a scheme to get TIF money.
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #368
spyguy
Expert

Old June 17th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #369
nicksplace27

Likes (Received): 2

??????
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:58 PM   #370
spyguy
Expert

If these are the latest plans, I don't understand them.

Now there will be three towers north of the theater, where the park was originally planned? And are those pedestrian bridges over Wells?

Are they just shifting the park even further north where phase 2 (tower+townhomes) was supposed to be?

It's starting to look like a Vegas resort.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:00 AM   #371
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

IMO this is still the stupidest development I've seen so far. Why couldn't they or someone force them to just put it on a standard grid? That would of been far more practical than this BS. And that last shot does look like a vegas development...
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:53 AM   #372
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

^You'll find no bigger fan than me of the Chicago grid, but the problem here is that Roosevelt Road is 30 feet above Wells Street. How would you have "put it on a standard grid?"

I can't wait to see these plans in a readable size, but there's actually a certain logic to putting the towers between the cineplex and Ninth St., allowing the towers to face the streets, with the parking podium in between being an extension of the existing parking garage. (Might be a problem with the exiting requirement for the cinemas, though).
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:27 AM   #373
ChitownCity

^It works for LSE.....
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM   #374
ChitownCity

I really hope the towers have a significant enough height to help out the SL skyline. and judging from the 2nd pic it looks like only 1 tower would be actually fronting a street while the other one will be set substantially and the other facing the train tracks...
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM   #375
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

What works for LSE? The absurd U-turns required to get from Middle South Water to Lower Stetson? Three levels of Wacker Drive with high-speed ramps up or down?

Back in the 90s I tried to convince the city to put the Metra tracks on viaduct all the way (instead of having them drop down at 14th and then come back up at Polk), so that the new Roosevelt Road could be down on the ground with intersections, like a real civilized city street. My neighbors complained that this would throw Dearborn Park into permanent shadow and—even worse—allow Roosevelt Road bus riders to stand next to their condo buildings!
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #376
ChitownCity

if we had the money and the right people with a good imagination and power to get things done, then having roosevelt elavated could be a good thing considering how flat the rest of the city is. They could elevate the rest of the streets to connect to roosevelt and build highrises with those dreadful parking podiums. That way underground parking would be much easier to accomplish and buildings will always be taller/more attractive than what they would regularly be. the only people with access to the lower level will of course be residents and employees. Also metra would be a subway then...
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #377
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
if we had the money and the right people with a good imagination and power to get things done, then having roosevelt elavated could be a good thing considering how flat the rest of the city is. They could elevate the rest of the streets to connect to roosevelt and build highrises with those dreadful parking podiums. That way underground parking would be much easier to accomplish and buildings will always be taller/more attractive than what they would regularly be. the only people with access to the lower level will of course be residents and employees. Also metra would be a subway then...
That's a lot of infrastructure... look at how expensive reconstructing Wacker is.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #378
JoeZekas

The plans don't appear to be new

See this PDF doc, from May of 2008.

The 3 towers appear to be separate from Roosevelt Collection, part of a larger LaSalle Park planned development referenced at McCaffery's site and previously noted at the Roosevelt Collection site.
JoeZekas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #379
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZekas View Post
See this PDF doc, from May of 2008.

The 3 towers appear to be separate from Roosevelt Collection, part of a larger LaSalle Park planned development referenced at McCaffery's site and previously noted at the Roosevelt Collection site.
Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong thing in the pdf, but the plans don't look the same.

Here's basically what I'm trying to say:

RC phase 1 is what is standing today. The original plans stated that they'd eventually build a ~40 story tower in the corner (#1 above). There was also supposed to be a one acre park (mysteriously never finished) which now seems to have been replaced by the new towers (#2 and 3).

RC phase 2 was supposed to be a tower plus attached townhomes where #4 is. Now that land looks like it will become the park or "Future _" (I can't read the tiny font).

The land at #5 with three towers was last controlled by AvalonBay. Maybe you're thinking of that?
#6 is the AMLI tower (completed).
#7 is The Curve (proposed).

Here's a larger version
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #380
JoeZekas

You're right, spyguy, I was thinking of Area 5. Your enlarged version makes things much clearer.
JoeZekas no está en línea   Reply With Quote