daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #81
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
Agreed, Fido...
Woof!
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #82
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Okay Mr. Downtown - as often as I find myself disagreeing with you, I have, simply, to applaud your knowledge. It's absolutely baffling. You are quite the resource.

Okay, that's the last nice thing I'm going to say... I promise :P. I do have a reputation to uphold!
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #83
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

So getting back to Roosevelt Collection, the road running through it will likely never be dedicated, but it can become a public right of way by 2027-8 via this 'prescriptive easement'? Is that correct?

If so, that's good enough for me..
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #84
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
So getting back to Roosevelt Collection, the road running through it will likely never be dedicated, but it can become a public right of way by 2027-8 via this 'prescriptive easement'? Is that correct?
No. Centrum will put a plaque in the sidewalk reading "Access Subject to Control of Owner." That satisfies the Illinois statute and protects against adverse possession or prescriptive easements in favor of the public.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #85
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^Exactly. You can think of the 20 year period as the statute of limitations for bringing an action in ejectment against trespassers.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #86
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
IDOT generally owns nothing except the ROW under purpose-built state highways. In Chicago, I can't think of any other than the expressways.
What about all the state highways? Lake Shore Drive, North Avenue, Irving Park Road, etc? (And I am pretty sure parts of Wacker Drive are IDOT too).
My understanding is the roads belong to IDOT but there is an agreement in place that roads other than the interstates are maintained by the city.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #87
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
What about all the state highways? Lake Shore Drive, North Avenue, Irving Park Road, etc?
Preexisting city streets that became part of the state highway network. The state gives money to maintain them and may even handle some of the construction, but the actual ROW is owned by the city.

I won't swear that there are no odd parcels near Dunning or Ford City owned by IDOT, but for the most part the state highways in Chicago are simply numeric designations given preexisting city streets.

Expressways, of course, required condemnation of existing lots, and ownership of most of those went to IDOT. I don't know for sure about the Eisenhower, though, which was built in part by the city and Cook County. And a really wild case is the Skyway, built entirely by the city. Since federal regulations never contemplated city ownership of an Interstate highway, a few years ago CDOT had to change the signs from "I-90" to read "TO I-90."
Old December 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #88
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.suntimes.com/classifieds/...gest29.article

Some areas hot even as market cools

December 29, 2006
BY BILL CUNNIFF Real Estate Reporter

Roosevelt Collection

For example, about 1,000 lofts and high-rise condos are planned at the Roosevelt Collection, a $900 million mixed-use residential and retail enclave planned on the north side of Roosevelt, just east of Wells in the South Loop.

The first residential phase of the project consists of 342 loft-style condominiums planned above retail shops at 150 W. Roosevelt. Base prices range from the upper $200,000s to the $600,000s. Later, two 40-story high-rise condominium towers are planned.

Including the Target Store, which already is open, the new neighborhood would have 400,000 square feet of retail space patterned after the North Avenue Corridor, which Centrum Properties developed in Lincoln Park.

"There will be more than 40 high-end retailers when complete," said Jennifer Arons, senior vice president of Centrum Properties. At the north end of the development, plans call for a two-acre park. Call (866) 606-0267, or visit the Web site, www.loftsrc.com.

"Sales on the Near South Side are picking up because buyers are getting increasingly comfortable with the area as retailers move in and as development continues," said Becky Thomson of Remax Vision II in Chicago.

"The interest in residential property as far south as 18th Street has grown noticeably in the last year," she said. "For example, investors who have sold properties in the area near Roosevelt Road are now reinvesting six or eight blocks farther south, and because inventory on the market in the area is substantial, they are getting good deals from developers."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #89
spyguy
Expert

Sales figures might be off?

http://www.nearwestgazette.com/Archi...story0107a.htm

Roosevelt’s rising: New development will put street in shopper’s maps

By Jennifer Geiger

The long vacant land on Roosevelt Road at Wells Street that continues north to 9th Street soon will have a new name and bustle with more retail activity than the South Loop has ever seen.

In March, Centrum Properties will break ground on the Roosevelt Collection, filling the 12-acre plot at 150 W. Roosevelt Rd. with what developers hope will be a viable community of lofts, stores, and parks—a development they said this corner of the South Loop needs badly.

The land previously was zoned for 20 million square feet of office space. The Roosevelt Collection will use 12 acres of it for 1,000 lofts and condos on top of an approximately 1,500-space underground parking garage surrounded by a 2.5-acre park, which architects envision being used for concerts, outdoor movies, and farmers' markets.

What sets this development apart from the many buildings replacing the South Loop’s surface parking lots is a “mixed-use urban marketplace” Centrum plans for below the lofts.

“You find mixed use developments like this sometimes in the suburbs of major cities, but to have it in the heart of a real densely populated urban area like this is… unique,” said Lisa Balis, Centrum’s vice president of retail development.

The plans include 400,000 square feet for 40-plus dining, apparel, grocery, and entertainment retailers, including a 16-screen movie theater, a bowling alley, and a health club. The neighborhood has lacked a movie theater since the Village Theater near 9th and State Streets closed two years ago.

These stores will join a growing list of new and future Roosevelt Road merchants such as Target, Whole Foods, DSW Shoes, and Home Depot.

“Roosevelt Road is really starting to emerge as the retail corridor for the South Side of Chicago and the South Loop," Balis said, noting the similarity "to how North Avenue and Clybourn Avenue have emerged over the last decade on the North Side.”

The Roosevelt Collection adds to a sea of new residential buildings in a community divided about many of them. Many residents oppose new condos planned for Polk and Clark Streets and a proposed 80-story condo building that will tower over Grant Park’s southwestern border. Centrum is betting neighbors will accept the Roosevelt Collection, however.

“What’s fantastic about it is that you have an opportunity to live, shop, and pretty much do everything you do on a day-to-day basis right at your fingertips,” said Jordan Cooper, the development’s sales manager.

Centrum estimates the Roosevelt Collection will cost around $900 million to build; it will offer studio and one- and two-bedroom lofts. Limited-time pre-construction studio prices start at $379,000. One-bedrooms are pre-construction priced starting at $269,000 and two-bedrooms begin at $402,000.

Phase one, directly west of Target, will consist of 324 lofts in mid-rise buildings plus retail space below and a pedestrian shopping plaza. North of phase one and bordering 9th Street, phase two consists of a 40-story tower with 676 condos leading out to the proposed park. While units will be mostly one-bedrooms, Cooper expects not just young single professionals will be interested.

“The market is wide open," Cooper said. "This is a…unique product that appeals to a wide variety of people from first-time homeowners, to people who want to move to the city from the suburbs, to people who already live in the South Loop and want a place to shop and meet.”

Many of those South Loop residents were on hand last month for a grand opening reception attended by more than 500 people. Based on the turnout, it appears the development does not need to go far very far to get community approval. Sales figures tell a similar story, with 20% of phase one sold already.

“So far everyone seems really happy and excited about it," Cooper said. "The location is…unique. We’re not blocking any views; we’re surrounded by the river. I think that we’re going to be a true added value to the overall community.”

Old January 6th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #90
bnk

Likes (Received): 727

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_addict View Post
Can we say Navy Pier with residences! I think it is terrible! It looks like a MALL!
Why not make the street a usuable street instead of a slow-traffic pedestrian street? A REAL street would feel much more URBAN! A street with meters, curbs, sewages drains and bike lanes that define true city streets!
And the architecture is ugly! I like the modern glass facades much better than the generic brick and mortar facade. I believe they should use the existing ideas of shopping mixed with lofts and towers and change a few things such as the street. The architecture needs to be MODERN and EDGY! Maybe build three towers instead of one. Alternating heights of 10, 20 and 30 to show some drama and depth. And use green roofs and garden terraces. If we are going to build in the South Loop we have to build it to be urban and distinctive, not suburban and bland!
I could not agree more.
bnk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #91
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

They should tear down the island in the middle and replace it with the world's largest ice rink.

What could be put there could be cool and feel like a bit of a ped santuarary (like N.Rush) instead I fear that the single use low rise retail there will be the biggest architectural detriment especially since I feel they are going to go cheep.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #92
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

I think the idea is to have restaurants in the center to help animate the space.
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #93
spyguy
Expert

^But it looks like a suburban pad site.

And they keep repeating this, which I hate:
Quote:
“You find mixed use developments like this sometimes in the suburbs of major cities, but to have it in the heart of a real densely populated urban area like this is… unique,” said Lisa Balis, Centrum’s vice president of retail development.
Old January 6th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #94
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

People need to stop with this "lets create a real street" BS. It's essentially a street that intersects with itself. It will have street parking, sidewalks, and I'm guessing some bike racks will be provided.

We all know that the particulars of this site don't make a through street in the least bit close to possible. So lets just let that argument go. The architecture leaves much to be desired, but I actually don't mind how the development looks in the picture of the model below.

I think over time this will become a valued development, esp as it sparks development around it. And it's NOTHING like the strip malls and shopping malls of yesteryear. Everybody keeps forgetting that people will be living here, it's pedestrian-oriented, and for pedestrians at least it's not really a cul-de-sac.

Wow I can't believe how much my opinion has changed about this development, but I think the positives add up way more than the negatives about it do.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #95
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; June 20th, 2010 at 04:48 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #96
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
People need to stop with this "lets create a real street" BS. It's essentially a street that intersects with itself. It will have street parking, sidewalks, and I'm guessing some bike racks will be provided.

We all know that the particulars of this site don't make a through street in the least bit close to possible. So lets just let that argument go. The architecture leaves much to be desired, but I actually don't mind how the development looks in the picture of the model below.

I think over time this will become a valued development, esp as it sparks development around it. And it's NOTHING like the strip malls and shopping malls of yesteryear. Everybody keeps forgetting that people will be living here, it's pedestrian-oriented, and for pedestrians at least it's not really a cul-de-sac.

Wow I can't believe how much my opinion has changed about this development, but I think the positives add up way more than the negatives about it do.
Well said TUP!
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #97
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

TUP - I couldnt agree with you more.

If any of you guys complaining about this lived in the South Loop, you would be grateful that someone is building it. If you knew anything about this parcel and the challenges to build it (the grade difference, the market, the rail yards), you would realize that it is a shock that something will ever be built here. I have to go to the East Side AMC (E Illinois St) to catch a movie! We need a centralized park here. We need more retail. This will start the domino effect for more development to come on these empty parcels that have sit barren throughout the development of the city. Who are you to say that this is not good enough for the South Loop?
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #98
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

There has been a lot of mention here about disliking the suburban nature of Roosevelt Collection and its fake, almost disneyesque, nature.

Those are legitamite criticism. But architecture is a product of its times. and it is roosevelt collections that is popping up - both large and small - in our cities and suburbs today.

For those who agree with the above RC observations, if you were an architect, how would you design such a large scale residential and retail project in a prime downtown waterfront location? How would you cut new ground, avoid the plastic look, and not try to recreate pre-WWII America in a sanitized and stereotypic fashion?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM   #99
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I have a request for Mr. Downtown, PRB, et al....

Can I get a site plan for the Roosevelt Collection? I'm working on doing massing models of all the current South Loop developments for Google Earth's 3D Buildings set, and the Roosevelt Collection is one of the last major pieces. (A site plan for 900 South Clark wouldn't hurt, either...)

Thanks in advance.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #100
Sir Isaac Newton

I realize that the major discussion of this development was a couple weeks ago, but I just wanted to mention that as a South Loop resident, I overwhelming support this proposed development....should be great for the neighborhood!
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote