daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM   #101
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Here's what I have from the original site plan. The flyaround video showed some things, particularly the steps at the north end, differently.

Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM   #102
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Great! One thing I noticed, though - this site plan does not include the Taylor Street Extension or Bridge, which would form the northern boundary of the Roosevelt Collection site?
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:20 AM   #103
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

A new Taylor street would only extend east to Wells--and it may be 20 years before anything is done on a bridge. The Metra embankment is too low to get under and too high to go over. The LaSalle Park PD doesn't include any provision for Taylor Street.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:43 AM   #104
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Damn, it'd be nice if we could get Taylor to go though to Clark. The corridor is intact (as gardens) all the way to Plymouth Ct in Dearborn Park.

As for crossing the viaduct - I've seen examples in Milwaukee of underpasses where the rail is above ground by a yard or two and the road dips a few yards beneath it. You just have to give trucks alternate routes because the clearance for vehicles is low. I'm sure there are some in Chicago somewhere, but I can't recall any. I'm sure it's possible to cross the viaduct, just costly.

Hopefully we can get a traffic survey on Taylor justifying further construction. Of course, once more area residents get angry at having to go up to Harrison or down to Roosevelt to cross the river, we'll get a bridge just for political reasons.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:28 AM   #105
Sir Isaac Newton

Likes (Received): 0

From what I think someone at Roosevelt Collection told me, the 9th street continuation will go all the way from Clark to Wells, and will connect under the Metra Tracks. Looking at this map, it looks as if the street stops just short of the Metra tracks on both sides?

Also, from talking to someone at RC, the parking garage will be lined with a few street-side stores on Wells, which should be nice....much, much more inviting than just a wall.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:28 AM   #106
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

What are you showing just east of the Paper Place? Is that a proposed development by Centrum?
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:33 AM   #107
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Damn, it'd be nice if we could get Taylor to go though to Clark. The corridor is intact (as gardens) all the way to Plymouth Ct in Dearborn Park.

As for crossing the viaduct - I've seen examples in Milwaukee of underpasses where the rail is above ground by a yard or two and the road dips a few yards beneath it. You just have to give trucks alternate routes because the clearance for vehicles is low. I'm sure there are some in Chicago somewhere, but I can't recall any. I'm sure it's possible to cross the viaduct, just costly.

Hopefully we can get a traffic survey on Taylor justifying further construction. Of course, once more area residents get angry at having to go up to Harrison or down to Roosevelt to cross the river, we'll get a bridge just for political reasons.
I've always thought that having a bridge at Polk would be better than Taylor since Polk actually goes all the way through. If you take Taylor to Wells, it would be a bunch of zig-zagging to get back on the street grid. What would you think about a pedestrian bridge across the river?
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:45 AM   #108
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Hmm.... tough question. First of all, Polk is vacated between Canal and the river. However, it has an full sidewalk, for reasons unknown.

The reason a bridge is preferred at Taylor is because Polk stops at the UIC campus on the west. Taylor is continuous out to Western (but it downgrades to a neighborhood street at Morgan).

A pedestrian bridge at Polk would do wonders. Due to heavy postal traffic, I don't think an auto bridge will be built there any time soon, though.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:46 AM   #109
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 20th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:49 AM   #110
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM   #111
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Also: Was there ever a bridge at Taylor? In Google Earth, there appear to be remnants of bridge on both sides of the river at Taylor. Polk too, but lesser so.
Long story. Before 1929, there were bridges on both streets. Back in those days, the whole Riverside Park/LaSalle Park was railyards, with alternating blocks of warehouses. Both streets led from the west directly into the railyards to access freight areas, warehouses, etc. and all the way east to State.

In 1929, they straightened a long bend in the river from Polk to 18th, digging a new straight channel for the river and then filling in the old one with what they dug out. The Taylor Street bridge had to be torn down to dig the new channel, and it was never replaced.

The Polk Street bridge was just to the north of the straightening project, and it survived intact. However, it was an ancient, unsafe swing bridge, with a pylon in the middle that obstructed river traffic. Soon, it was also removed, but the viaducts leading up to it remained on the east side until the demolition of Grand Central Station in 1971, and on the west side until the demolition of the Marshall Field's River Warehouse/construction of the new Post Office in 1993.

[/storytime]

Last edited by ardecila; January 23rd, 2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM   #112
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

The site plan looks like shit.

How am I supposed to make any sense of it? All I see are curvy buildings, driveways, inward-oriented cul-de-sacs, and excessively large setbacks from the street. Is this my Dearborn Park nightmare revisited?

Who's the douchebag behind this horrendous joke of a plan?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:53 AM   #113
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Remember that a new 9th Street will go under the Metra tracks, probably in the next couple of years. In early permutations of the LaSalle Park plan a Taylor Street crossing was anticipated, but the problems with getting under the Metra tracks forced a 9th Street undercrossing instead. I agree it's a shame it won't line up with anything east or west.

Polk Street had a bridge until 1967. I believe it was the city's last center-pivot swing bridge (for autos).

The Taylor Street bridge history is more intriguing. When the river was rechanneled in 1927-29, a new Taylor Street bridge was planned. But I can find no evidence it was ever built, and a 1984 Tribune story says it was not. Newspaper stories from the 1930s discuss PWA grants for the bridge, but 1938 aerials show only the counterweight pits still visible in aerials today. My best guess is that those were dug, either as part of the river rechanneling or as the first phase of a PWA project, and the project was put aside and never resumed.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM   #114
Sir Isaac Newton

I'm not sure how long ago this work was done, but there is about 50 feet or so of what I assume would be part of the proposed Taylor Street Bridge already constructed....just east of Canal and just north of the newly constructed Southgate Market.
Sir Isaac Newton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:06 PM   #115
mohammed wong

urb,

this is LA type development,
great for LA, strange for chicago.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM   #116
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Old January 24th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #117
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Thanks for posting the site plans. Looks like they forgot Burnhan Pointe next to Folio Square.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #118
PrintersRowBoiler

Are the townhomes shown behind 900 S Clark blocking the parking garage still planned? I thought those were omitted.
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #119
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 20th, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #120
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

- edit
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote