daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Old November 24th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #21381
Marky_boy
Registered Maniac

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
I suppose I might as well post this here too (from a discussion in the skybar about whether the shard is too tall).

It certainly has the soar factor and is pretty dominant. So much for its light fooprint on the london skyline, blending into the surroundings.

Its epic and in everyone's face. And if I am honest it looks a bit ridiculous. But as a structure I am a big fan. Its a fantastic building. I reckon it will look better if some other taller buildings can be built around it - perhaps the size of Swiss re - to act as an anchor.

Seeing the impact of the shard I hope we enforce its height as a maximum on any future buildings. At least for a couple of decades to allow a better density of talls to built up. Anything taller than the shard right now would be a major mistake.
You must despise the Eiffel Tower.
Marky_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 24th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #21382
Nightjar
Bird

Likes (Received): 2168

Poor Octo.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #21383
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 1824

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
I am actually surprised as to how little impact it has, sure it is dominant from certain positions and views, but no more dominant than the bell tower when standing outside a church.
You might as well argue that there is no point going to see Mount Everest because it has the same visual impact as laying on the floor with your eye close to a rock.

Of course it has a major impact. Human beings have depth perception and the brain can naturally distinguish between a giant mass in the distance from a smaller object close by. Cities located near mountains would have a different feel if the mountains were not there. They are an ever present part of the character of the city and dont merely appear and disappear as the mover navigates the streets.

I like the shard. It is a great building. In its current location and with the current surroundings it is hugely dominant IMO. It wouldnt be if built in Manhattan and that is the point I am getting at. Until we bulk up our skyline I dont think London needs taller and taller buildings screaming for attention. There are plenty of middle east cities doing that and the result is patchy at best and in some cases downright ugly.

So I disagree that the 2,000 ft skytree would look great in London. It would bloody awful. Aside from the fact that it has the worst spire on top I have ever seen.

The Eiffel tower, like the CN tower and even the Blackpool tower work because there are one of a kind and designed to be look at me. Would Paris look better with 50 Eiffel towers? Or with 50 buildings each a little bit taller than the Eiffel tower dotted around? Of course not.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #21384
Sprogbot

I'm a strict believer in taller the better.
I think we should be seriously looking at several 400 meter or 500 meter supertall towers in the near future. This would keep London close to the top of the world height rankings.
It's simple, If you wanna get noticed, you have to build tall!
Sprogbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #21385
anthonySE1

Likes (Received): 61

anthonySE1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #21386
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprogbot View Post
I think we should be seriously looking at several 400 meter or 500 meter supertall towers in the near future. This would keep London close to the top of the world height rankings.
I wasn't sure if your post was serious or not for a while, but after reading it a few times I presume it is.
Why would london want/need to get noticed? Or to be anywhere near the top out the world height rankings?
Schmeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #21387
Sprogbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
I wasn't sure if your post was serious or not for a while, but after reading it a few times I presume it is.
Why would london want/need to get noticed? Or to be anywhere near the top out the world height rankings?
Because London is a world class city!!! Therefore we need world class skyscrapers and that means tall skyscrapers!
The Shard and the pinnacle are truly fabulous buildings, we just need more of them.
Sprogbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #21388
Skrapadude

I bet your really looking forward to seeing whats happening with Avia then!
Skrapadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #21389
Edvvc
Just for time pass

Likes (Received): 15

How will the windows above the BMU in anthonySE1's photo be cleaned? I haven't seen any suitable hardware yet.
Edvvc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #21390
Edvvc
Just for time pass

image hosted on flickr

Piece of Shard by edvvc, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Holding area by edvvc, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

White Cube by edvvc, on Flickr
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #21391
siberian dreamer

Likes (Received): 12

The sky tree would look so ridiculous in London, hah. That shard is just right, really but compare it with super talls nearly twice it's height and you realise London isn't ready for that yet.
siberian dreamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #21392
Loyalist.
Let's modernise Britain

Quote:
The Shard was originally planned to be 442m! But the Civil Aviation authority imposed a 1,000ft (304.8m) height limit.

The Shard is now 1,016ft. They managed to get away with the extra 16ft because the location is on lower ground.

On the positive side, maybe the Shard would not have been built if it was 442m. For years they struggled to get the financing in place. Maybe if it was taller, the economics would have meant that the project would have been cancelled.
Loyalist. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #21393
scalatrava89

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvvc View Post
How will the windows above the BMU in anthonySE1's photo be cleaned? I haven't seen any suitable hardware yet.
I'm sure I remember someone saying there would be a BMU at level 84.

Any nice nighttime pictures for us Edvvc, yours are always first class .
scalatrava89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #21394
Edvvc
Just for time pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalatrava89 View Post
Any nice nighttime pictures for us Edvvc, yours are always first class .
Thank you Here's one from five minutes ago...

image hosted on flickr

24th November by edvvc, on Flickr
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #21395
I am he

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Im pretty sure London does get noticed...you know, considering it is the worlds largest financial centre and all...
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #21396
london lad

Likes (Received): 365

[QUOTE=Edvvc;86002110]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edvvc/6395243413/

Is the building in the left of this pic the one with the hoardings round or does it just look that way from the picture?
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #21397
Edvvc
Just for time pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Is the building in the left of this pic the one with the hoardings round or does it just look that way from the picture?
If you mean the hoarding from the Holding Area pic, no, this building is about ten minutes walk away further south.
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #21398
london-b
βAŇŇĘÐ

Likes (Received): 328

It's about the right height for London. I mean the skyscrapers of the the city make very little to no impact from many areas of London. It's nice to have a great looking building that you'll be able to see from many points.
london-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #21399
Laszlo Jamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydoggy View Post
Bandy, that's not weird at all. These details are what makes a building interesting and elevate it from the merely bland. Everytime I look at The Shard I see something I hadn't noticed before.

IMO this is turning into a truly exceptional building and I am getting really excited about watching it race to it's topping out!
More than just a little detail though—if the kink wasn't there I don't think the 'shard' on the western side would taper to the right point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranesetc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post

Laszlo Jamf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #21400
Skyscrapercarazeeee
I am 10.94 mgy's tall

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
I agree to a point,and you shouldn't be jumped on,just because you air your opinion. I think its rather a nonsense,thinking no building over 1016 feet would look right in London.

I would doubt there'd have been moaning groaning and protests from skyscraper ''enthusiasts'' if the Shard had been given go ahead at 1200-1400 feet ..but we settle for 309 metres,because that is how it is .

Having said that,London is noticed for its beautiful eclectic architecture,and now we have one of the sparkiest scrapers on Earth nearing completion-and maybe a couple more to follow

Tags
architecture, bridge, gallery, glass, highrise, london, observation, shard, skyscraper, southwark, supertall, tower