daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #261
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

What were they thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella good View Post
it will look like it does now. the finished facade is the current one
Yikes!! I can now go on record as saying this is one of the ugliest skyscrapers I have ever seen. It looks like a high rise prison. It is really a shame for NYC. Seriously though, do you think my theory of not having any daytime renderings because it looks hideous holds any merit?

BOA on the other hand, I have high hopes for it. If the facade is good on that one, it will be awesome.

I realize this is just my opinion but I think others have some dissapointment as well. Looking in the NY Times thread in the NY sub-forum, it looks like people stopped posting when they saw what the facade looks like.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #262
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

this sumbitch will GLIMMER at night.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #263
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
It looks like a high rise prison.
Show me a prison that looks like this.
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #264
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

March 7, 2007

The top still not finished, but at ground level........another story...

at the base...."ceramic rods or no rods"...you decide which looks better!

future retail shops...

future subway entrance???? old tiles visible....from old entrance...

messenger center??? maybe...

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #265
Chi649

Quote:
Originally Posted by centreoftheuniverse View Post
Show me a prison that looks like this.
That would be the Metropolitan Correctional Center in downtown Chicago. Here is the link to it on Emporis: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...chicago-il-usa

It's really not hard to understand why it looks like a prison. Ugly concrete looking facade and small windows. In NY Times Tower, the windows may be larger than they appear but they certainly look small with all that ceramic stuff covering them. When the crown is finished, the tower will look a little better and at night it should look great. I'm afraid the facade is so bad though, nothing can make up for it. I apologize to all New Yorkers for my harsh assessment but I just needed to say it.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #266
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
That would be the Metropolitan Correctional Center in downtown Chicago. Here is the link to it on Emporis: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...chicago-il-usa

It's really not hard to understand why it looks like a prison. Ugly concrete looking facade and small windows. In NY Times Tower, the windows may be larger than they appear but they certainly look small with all that ceramic stuff covering them. When the crown is finished, the tower will look a little better and at night it should look great. I'm afraid the facade is so bad though, nothing can make up for it. I apologize to all New Yorkers for my harsh assessment but I just needed to say it.
the facade looks much better in person...
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #267
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

hahaha

still it looks good on 8th ave, but now if they could just get rid of the funky smell by the port authority bus terminal.
Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #268
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Omar View Post
hahaha

still it looks good on 8th ave, but now if they could just get rid of the funky smell by the port authority bus terminal.

funky smell? ONLY IN THE SUMMER!!!!

I Love NY
Old March 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #269
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:

Have you seen it in person? If not then you should, this building isnt photogenic. In person you can see it is more airy than in pictures. In the pictures it looks bleh.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #270
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

awesome update, thank you
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #271
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

I hate the New York Times but this is actually turning out to be a pretty decent building.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #272
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Quote:

Please. The two not only don't look similar they have nothing in common. One is a concrete block, the other is glassy without an ounce of concrete in it.

You might not like the gray color but other than the color, this building is all artistry. Any city should consider themselves lucky if they had this unique building. The fact of the matter is prisons don't look like the Times building and if they did, the prisoners wouldn't want to leave.

Old March 9th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #273
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
awesome update, thank you
you're welcome!

I Love NY

Old March 9th, 2007, 05:24 AM   #274
Chi649

Quote:
Please. The two not only don't look similar they have nothing in common. One is a concrete block, the other is glassy without an ounce of concrete in it.

You might not like the gray color but other than the color, this building is all artistry. Any city should consider themselves lucky if they had this unique building. The fact of the matter is prisons don't look like the Times building and if they did, the prisoners wouldn't want to leave.
I understand this tower is glassy but it definitely does not look like it with all of the ceramic covering it. So your comment about it being glassy is really pointless when using this as a reason of why it doesn't look like a prison. Perhaps the comparison to a prison seems so absurd to you that you are unable to the see similarities.

Anyway, I will most definitely see this in person and it's entirely possible my opinion could change. I doubt it but I will try to keep an open mind. A lot of this is subjective anyway so some people will love it and some will hate it. Cheers.

Old March 9th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #275
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Even if you covered up every exposed square inch of glass with the rods it still won't look like the correctional facility you posted. Plus, the north and south sides have lots of glass showing so you're point is incorrect there again.

If by your standard that every building that aren't glassy and aren't floor to ceiling windows are prison-like, then there are alot of buildings that look like prisons. But you know that is not the case.
You just used a bad analogy and now feel like you have to defend your incorrect position.

By the way, I don't particular find this building attractive, just don't agree with your assessment that it's prison-like because prisons don't look like that.

Old March 10th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #276
yuko

Likes (Received): 0

look great
yuko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #277
MDguy

if they were to take off the white rods, would there be glass under there?

MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #278
Chi649

Quote:
Even if you covered up every exposed square inch of glass with the rods it still won't look like the correctional facility you posted. Plus, the north and south sides have lots of glass showing so you're point is incorrect there again.

If by your standard that every building that aren't glassy and aren't floor to ceiling windows are prison-like, then there are alot of buildings that look like prisons. But you know that is not the case.
You just used a bad analogy and now feel like you have to defend your incorrect position.

By the way, I don't particular find this building attractive, just don't agree with your assessment that it's prison-like because prisons don't look like that.
Your assessment is as subjective as mine, yet you are so sure that you are right. Most people would just disagree and realize this. Therefore, you must really believe your opinion is fact.

Old March 10th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #279
AndySocks
Outerborough Advocate

Likes (Received): 1

Ugh. I keep forgetting to check it out whenever I'm in the neighborhood. I guess usually I got more on my mind than just skyscrapers, but I'd really like to see how it's come along since last time I was there.
AndySocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #280
A.P.P.E

Likes (Received): 0

These are my favorite shots I made today... enjoy

Last edited by A.P.P.E; March 10th, 2007 at 06:38 PM.
A.P.P.E no está en línea   Reply With Quote