daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Hull and Humber

Hull and Humber For Hull and East Riding.

Old March 26th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #6561
The Hedge

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
Was down Whitefriargate the other day and coming out of HMV looked up to see...

Previously the Kardomah signage was painted over black, but you could still make out the letters. Someone has stripped this covering off to reveal the old sign, and from the looks of things, developing inside.
Funnily enough, I showed this to my mum on the weekend, and she was amazed as Kardomah was where her dad used to take her for coffee and treats in the 60s! It was a coffee house, I wonder if it'll return like that?
You are right Jill. I took this pic of it at the back end of last year.

It would be nice to see it as a coffee house although they'd need to be selling a lot of latte's and cappuchino's to cover the rent. Units down Whitefriargate are between 50-100k. Very expensive comparatively.
The Hedge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #6562
Bushy_Badger
Hullensian...

Wow,

Back from a long weekend in New York to find the Tigers won again and move into third and the SSC Hull thread looks to be on its last legs with a break away move (good on ya legs).

I have some new pics on the marina gateway legs. Do you want them on the new site or here. With the building being a paultry 14 stories I may get sneered at by the SSC admin if I post them on here.

Edit

Just read your private message legs, will post new pics on the new site.

Last edited by Bushy_Badger; March 26th, 2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Addition
Bushy_Badger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #6563
Dazzar86

Likes (Received): 1

My rubbish attempt at an extension to the KC;

Dazzar86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #6564
acwalby

Re: New Hull Development Forum

Despite being somewhat in favour of forum expansion on SSC or an equally high quality external website, I am not in favour of someone’s amateurish attempt designed to give the moderators of SSC a ‘kick in the balls’ simply because he was told ‘no’.

Hull’s presence on SSC is compromised and likely to be abandoned. Using SSC to post the odd message is nothing more than a token gesture and one likely to fade over time.

Let us put something into perspective:

Hull is a city of roughly 250,000 with a handful of large, medium and small developments. It is a fairly large city but cannot claim to be a truly ‘major’ city… yet.

I may be proud of my city, but I am realistic as well.
Old March 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #6565
Dazzar86

Nearer to 300,000 I think... and thats without including Cottingham, Bilton, Hessle, Hedon etc... in the boundaries, so whouldn't be in the count either...
Dazzar86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #6566
Chris (Newcastle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwalby View Post
Despite being somewhat in favour of forum expansion on SSC or an equally high quality external website, I am not in favour of someone’s amateurish attempt designed to give the moderators of SSC a ‘kick in the balls’ simply because he was told ‘no’.

Hull’s presence on SSC is compromised and likely to be abandoned. Using SSC to post the odd message is nothing more than a token gesture and one likely to fade over time.

Let us put something into perspective:

Hull is a city of roughly 250,000 with a handful of large, medium and small developments. It is a fairly large city but cannot claim to be a truly ‘major’ city… yet.

I may be proud of my city, but I am realistic as well.
I suppose it's like we're in the play-offs for promotion. We could do with more threads but it looks like we're not getting them. I'll be supporting both forums. This one for the fans and the new one for the players.
Chris (Newcastle) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #6567
Chris (Newcastle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzar86 View Post
My rubbish attempt at an extension to the KC;

That's pretty impressive Dazz. It would take the capacity to 33,000 I think that there may be talk of adding seats above the 'Hull' ends - and sort of filling in the corners..to give 35,000+.
Chris (Newcastle) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #6568
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
Was down Whitefriargate the other day and coming out of HMV looked up to see...

Previously the Kardomah signage was painted over black, but you could still make out the letters. Someone has stripped this covering off to reveal the old sign, and from the looks of things, developing inside.
Funnily enough, I showed this to my mum on the weekend, and she was amazed as Kardomah was where her dad used to take her for coffee and treats in the 60s! It was a coffee house, I wonder if it'll return like that?

Wow!

I was wondering recently what lies beneath the large white wooden panel covering the Bob Carvers frontage on Chapel Street (opposite Magma/sgt peppers). I've got a feeling that there could be something equally historic and impressive waiting to be revealed.
legolamb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #6569
ChrisG (Hull)
ChrisG

Spillers Mill RIP
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I guess this is the sort of concrete interior that will stop Rank Hovis being reused too?
ChrisG (Hull) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6570
livin' hull

Likes (Received): 3

IS HULL SHIPSHAPE FOR CRUISE SHIPS?
Be the first reader to comment on this story

Hull Daily Mail - 27 March 2008

A Study into the feasibility of operating cruise ships from Hull is due to conclude next month.

The research was commissioned in December by the Association of British Ports (ABP), Hull Citybuild, Hull City Council and Visit Hull And East Yorkshire.

It aims to assess how the city could benefit from the national increase in the amount of people travelling on cruises.

John Holmes, chief executive of Hull Citybuild, said: "The cruise market is clearly growing in the UK.

"This study represents the first step in identifying the level of potential for the city.

"We are looking to develop the concept further should the final study results show whether a cruise terminal investment would be beneficial, particularly in terms of creating jobs and bringing new income to the area."

Peter Jones, chief executive of ABP, said the company had appropriate land to establish a passenger cruise terminal in Alfred Dock and William Wright Dock.

Mr Jones said: "It requires different facilities to the existing ferry business. It is almost like an airport terminal when it comes to facilities.

"In Southampton, we have the leading cruise port in the country, almost 70 per cent of all cruise passengers embark and disembark there.

"We are experienced as a cruise terminal operator and we have excellent contacts within the industry. We believe Hull could be a viable place from which to operate.

"It can have real regeneration benefits and we are hopeful a project can move along."

Cruise ship operator Van Gogh, which is based in Cheltenham, already uses the city's ports for a number of its ships.

A spokesman for the company said it was awaiting the results of the study.

She said: "We are looking to operate out of Hull into next year and depending on the results of the survey that will decide the number of cruises we operate, as well as the destinations."

To learn more about Humber ports, check out the Mail's free supplement available on Tuesday, April 1.

----------------------

considering that they already operate some cruises from Hull, it wouldnt be too far a stretch of the imagination to see cruises to the Baltic, Artic Circle etc leaving from Hull... and remember the original 'castaway' began his cruise around the tropics in Hull ! (why isnt more made of Hulls Robinson Crusoe link ?)
livin' hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #6571
ChrisG (Hull)
ChrisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin' hull View Post
IS HULL SHIPSHAPE FOR CRUISE SHIPS?
Be the first reader to comment on this story

Hull Daily Mail - 27 March 2008

A Study into the feasibility of operating cruise ships from Hull is due to conclude next month.

The research was commissioned in December by the Association of British Ports (ABP), Hull Citybuild, Hull City Council and Visit Hull And East Yorkshire.

It aims to assess how the city could benefit from the national increase in the amount of people travelling on cruises.

John Holmes, chief executive of Hull Citybuild, said: "The cruise market is clearly growing in the UK.

"This study represents the first step in identifying the level of potential for the city.

"We are looking to develop the concept further should the final study results show whether a cruise terminal investment would be beneficial, particularly in terms of creating jobs and bringing new income to the area."

Peter Jones, chief executive of ABP, said the company had appropriate land to establish a passenger cruise terminal in Alfred Dock and William Wright Dock.

Mr Jones said: "It requires different facilities to the existing ferry business. It is almost like an airport terminal when it comes to facilities.

"In Southampton, we have the leading cruise port in the country, almost 70 per cent of all cruise passengers embark and disembark there.

"We are experienced as a cruise terminal operator and we have excellent contacts within the industry. We believe Hull could be a viable place from which to operate.

"It can have real regeneration benefits and we are hopeful a project can move along."

Cruise ship operator Van Gogh, which is based in Cheltenham, already uses the city's ports for a number of its ships.

A spokesman for the company said it was awaiting the results of the study.

She said: "We are looking to operate out of Hull into next year and depending on the results of the survey that will decide the number of cruises we operate, as well as the destinations."

To learn more about Humber ports, check out the Mail's free supplement available on Tuesday, April 1.

----------------------

considering that they already operate some cruises from Hull, it wouldnt be too far a stretch of the imagination to see cruises to the Baltic, Artic Circle etc leaving from Hull... and remember the original 'castaway' began his cruise around the tropics in Hull ! (why isnt more made of Hulls Robinson Crusoe link ?)
I think there is a small muriel/wall art in Queen's Gardens and thats about it.
ChrisG (Hull) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #6572
Mr Lister

Quote:

I agree. It was me who offered to set up a separate forum, as part of the website dedicated to Hull's regeneration that I was planning. I'm somewhat surprised and disappointed to see that a new forum has since been set up on a free website. People should really have been more involved in deciding the format for this. Incidentally it's also a bit of a kick in the teeth for me personally, but fortunately I hadn't spent any money or much time on the website yet.

Apart from being better able to organise discussions, the main reason for a separate forum was that it would give us an identity when trying to get officials and politicians to contribute. We won't get that from 'makeforum', which could be here today and gone tomorrow. I can't imagine it being taken very seriously by the people who are actually running the show. Compared to posting on SSC, it could actually be a backwards step.

Still, if discussion switches to there then I will follow and continue to make my occasional posts. Keeping the discussion going is the important thing - we've got a good community of interested people here and it would be a shame to lose that.
Mr Lister no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #6573
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Sincere apologies if any offence has been caused by the setting up of the new forum.

It was my idea, and I went ahead with it after consulting a few of the longer serving members of the thread. I'm sure you can appreciate that getting every single Hull member to agree on every aspect would take forever, and would ultimately lead nowhere. Best to just get on with it and let people decide for themselves whether they were interested in using it or not.

I was aware of your stated intention to maintain and host your own forum and would still be very interested to see whether this is still a viable option. If the plan goes anywhere, i personally would be happy to make use of it. i have actually shown a degree of interest already, by responding to your request for feedback on the idea with a positive post.

The fact remains that many users of this thread have stated on numerous occasions that it is annoying and offputting to be forever having to change the subject, and that as a result, the quality of discussion as well as the potential to raise the city's on-line profile from a politicians, developers, road sweepers or anybody elses point of view is affected.

Whilst the makeforum is clearly not going to achieve the last of these, it is serving a useful purpose at this point in time. It is allowing more detailed discussion and easier navigation between projects for the great little community of posters you rightly point out has developed on this thread.

'keeping the discussion going' is exactly what it is offering the potential to do.
Old March 28th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #6574
acwalby

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
Sincere apologies if any offence has been caused by the setting up of the new forum.

It was my idea, and I went ahead with it after consulting a few of the longer serving members of the thread. I'm sure you can appreciate that getting every single Hull member to agree on every aspect would take forever, and would ultimately lead nowhere. Best to just get on with it and let people decide for themselves whether they were interested in using it or not.

I was aware of your stated intention to maintain and host your own forum and would still be very interested to see whether this is still a viable option. If the plan goes anywhere, i personally would be happy to make use of it. i have actually shown a degree of interest already, by responding to your request for feedback on the idea with a positive post.

The fact remains that many users of this thread have stated on numerous occasions that it is annoying and offputting to be forever having to change the subject, and that as a result, the quality of discussion as well as the potential to raise the city's on-line profile from a politicians, developers, road sweepers or anybody elses point of view is affected.

Whilst the makeforum is clearly not going to achieve the last of these, it is serving a useful purpose at this point in time. It is allowing more detailed discussion and easier navigation between projects for the great little community of posters you rightly point out has developed on this thread.

'keeping the discussion going' is exactly what it is offering the potential to do.
I find much of your statement to be arrogant and undemocratic.

By consulting only "long serving members" of the thread you have shown complete disregard for all other members. Put simply, their opinions do not matter to you.

The views and opinions of all users must be taken into account when making significant changes.

Just how many comments do I have to post before my opinion counts?

The new forum was set up for one reason only: You wanted to be in control.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #6575
The Hedge

I went to the last of the ARC debates at the Freedom Centre last night.

The theme for the night was 'is Hull's past the key to it's future?'.

Three speakers outlined their thoughts on the proposition including a guy from Hull City Build who set the scene for the evening.

For me the best part of the evening was a talk given by Irena Bauman. She runs the architectural practice that is part of the the Fruit Market development team. It was like a breath of fresh air.

She outlined that we simply have to make sure that Hull does not make the same mistakes of other cities in allowing monstrous apartment developments to completely destroy the city. The images of Leeds were frightening in this regard.

There was much talk about small being beautiful and that Hull has the opportunity of developing itself much more sustainably given that it is some years behind other UK cities who simply allowed over development from developers as a response to the governments 'city living' agenda which came out 10 years or so ago.

Irena suggested that Albion Square be greened ( ) and that the city focuses on developments that will encourage people into the city.

I think it was universally argued that high rise city living apartment developments are dead in the water nationally and that Hull, because it has lagged behind, has a once in a lifetime opportunity to not repeat the mistakes of other cities.

There was also mention of the need to get away from 'iconic' developments. Perhaps one or two, but no more. The important thing in the panels view was to focus on historical themes and architecture and complement that with new sympathetic developments.

The Clarence development proposal was, from what i could tell, universally opposed and interestingly the City Build guy seemed to be inferring that it had come through the planning process without any reference to the masterplan design principles.

A thoroughly enjoyable evening and it was good to see another forum debating the development of Hull.

I got the impression that the many folk there want the wider debate to take place about what is or isn't going to be developed in our city.

Perhaps the airing of some of my long held thoughts on developments in Hull were the reason I enjoyed last night. It was heartening to know that we now have architects involved in city development who are not prepared to compromise to meet the quick profiteering of the developers.

Apologies for the long post (and no pictures)
The Hedge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #6576
Wagg

Excellent report, Hedge. It's good to know that even some of the bigwigs involved in shaping our city seem to share the same view as most of us.
Wagg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6577
legolamb
Advance Kingstonia!

Quote:
The new forum was set up for one reason only: You wanted to be in control.
If that is what you think then fair enough. I've got no interest in attempting to change your mind. I will just state this once that you are wrong.

If you don't like the makeforum, then don't use it.
Old March 28th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #6578
livin' hull

Likes (Received): 3

re the new forum

I'll use this as a supplement to the SCC one - it basically shows the way a Hull forum would work on SCC, and enables perhaps non SCC topics to get an airing...

re the ARC talk from Hedge

v. interesting, reflects what I've read elsewhere re state of play with city centre living, at least by playing catchup Hull should avoid the mistakes of other cities - makes me lick my lips with anticipation on the fruit market regeneration - hopefully this will mean real homes for families NOT apartments for absent landlords...
livin' hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #6579
sudge

Fruit Market

Of all the imminent developments in Hull I'm convinced the Fruit Market is the most iomportant of the lot.
The opportunity to create a completely new urban quarter, mixed with the best of what's there at the moment and the surrounding waterfront, is something most other cities would sell their teeth for.
From Hedge's report on the Arc debate it seems the right sort of architects have been signed up. I've also read a few encouraging articles in the Mail about Hull lad Richard Scott from Surface Architects leading the masterplanning for Igloo at the Fruit Market and he seems to have the right ideas about scale and massing. The last thing we need is more high-rise blocks on Humber Street.
Personally, I don't fancy the recently expanded 14-story ispace scheme next the Marina. Hopefully, the planners will get them to scale it back to the original proposed height.
As for the different threads, I'm just confused.........
sudge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #6580
hull.co.uk

RE Hull 'Green City', http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/cities/hull/.

RE Fruit Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudge View Post
Of all the imminent developments in Hull I'm convinced the Fruit Market is the most iomportant of the lot.
The opportunity to create a completely new urban quarter, mixed with the best of what's there at the moment and the surrounding waterfront, is something most other cities would sell their teeth for.
I couldn't have put that better myself. Look at how much space will be transformed back into use, it'll become part of the centre again. All the new accomodation will bring hundreds of people permanently into the city centre. The Deep will no longer be isolated. We're lucky about how the whole thing has been planned, it's been done as a whole and the architects recruited have a good understanding of what is appropriate for the area. As Sudge said, the potential to develop run-down historical streets into a new urban waterfront quarter combining old and new is something that most other cities would sell their teeth for.

Quote:
Personally, I don't fancy the recently expanded 14-story ispace scheme next the Marina. Hopefully, the planners will get them to scale it back to the original proposed height.
As for the different threads, I'm just confused.........
I think a little more height will add to the project, 14 stories is manageable. Even though the design is already querky, I think it'll be more impressive, and it'll go on to become an iconic building for the city, on the waterfront between Humber Quays and the Fruit Market.

Last edited by hull.co.uk; March 28th, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
hull.co.uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, hull and humber, kingston, yorkshire