daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old February 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM   #41
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 930

It's also a waste of prime downtown land, buildings on sites like that need to be maximising the location.

Sponsored Links

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM   #42
Evertonian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Look further down the strand for a massive waste of land.

Theres a half finished plot there they started to throw up that's not getting finished now.

This is the point....there are rot spots and places of neglect you guys should be pushing for to be redeveloped, all over Liverpool. On the strand and dock roads there are places that look like the Gaza strip. Lets get them fixed up first before demolishing a perfectly fine, modern and (currently) perfectly usable building.

Last edited by Evertonian; February 1st, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM   #43
Evertonian
BANNED

I know this is skyscraper city and you all want a 160 storey glass monolith built on that site like! haha!
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM   #44
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 391

Maybe we can rebuild the building brick by brick somewhere in the Wirral for you, so you can have that big city feel over there too. Hamilton square perhaps or in Wirral Waters
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM   #45
Evertonian
BANNED

Wirrals probably not the best example to use. They're destroying heritage and culture on a scale that is causing a situation of almost civil unrest.

Why follow OUR discredited model?

Learnt the lesson from us. Halt the rot and invest in suitable sites (i.e. ones that actually deperately need resurrecting or demolishing, rather than one built in the 1990's that serves a function well)
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM   #46
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertonian View Post
I know this is skyscraper city and you all want a 160 storey glass monolith built on that site like! haha!
Who has mentioned skyscrapers? Only you. Exaggerated nonsense like talk of Gaza Strip and monoliths, you're starting to sound like Mr Colquholn.

We aspire to something in keeping with its surroundings both in its dimensions (10-12 storeys would be ideal) and architectural quality. Other sites like Kingston House and L1 have been spoken of at length on other threads.

There had only been 30 or so comments on this thread before this latest round of discussion and most of them are refuting your largely irrelevant points.
Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM   #47
Evertonian
BANNED

I believe I have a good point that theres no need to demolish a perfectly sound working building built less than 15 years ago....when there are areas along that route that are far more deserving of attention that do not get mentioned on this site.
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM   #48
Evertonian
BANNED

The over the top, totally uncompromising response to this building reminds me of John and his rants about the arena.
Old February 1st, 2009, 09:20 PM   #49
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

Or tunnel tolls
Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM   #50
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

There needs to be proper massing along the Dock Road all the way from Stanley Dock to Parliament Street (Hill Street, thanks to Vermont). All these sheds and budget hotels etc have to go.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM   #51
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 16

Talking Don`t shoot the customer.....they might want variety?

QUOTE=Babaloo;31670422]There needs to be proper massing along the Dock Road all the way from Stanley Dock to Parliament Street (Hill Street, thanks to Vermont). All these sheds and budget hotels etc have to go.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, not sure about the budget hotels, it might be all that thier customers can afford and I`m sure they will evolve.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #52
Babaloo
Fiat Lux

I don't have a problem with budget hotels. I'm just arguing that they don't need to be low-rise eyesores despoiling a main downtown thoroughfare. The Travelodge in Haymarket shows the way to go, right height for this area.
Babaloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:54 AM   #53
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 112

Rent free till the end of the year!! be worth it just for the 30 parking spaces.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...2534-26284090/

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:55 AM   #54
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 690

New SSC office then.
buggedboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #55
Stanley Park

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the red View Post
Who has mentioned skyscrapers? Only you. Exaggerated nonsense like talk of Gaza Strip and monoliths, you're starting to sound like Mr Colquholn.

We aspire to something in keeping with its surroundings both in its dimensions (10-12 storeys would be ideal) and architectural quality. Other sites like Kingston House and L1 have been spoken of at length on other threads.

There had only been 30 or so comments on this thread before this latest round of discussion and most of them are refuting your largely irrelevant points.
I'd have to say I agree with Evertonian here. Our focus needs to be elsewhere on maximising the potential of sites which are currently in use as street level car parks etc.

His point about people's obsession with building height is also valid. Plenty of the posters on here wanted to pull down the Renshaw Street building because they didn't represent sufficient massing within the city centre. There has to be room for a variety of building types and I just can't see the driver behind this apparent hatred of the Halifax Building.
Stanley Park no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #56
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Park View Post
Our focus needs to be elsewhere on maximising the potential of sites which are currently in use as street level car parks etc.
Why can't we do both? When it comes down to it, both surface car parks and the Doll's House are the same - they both fail to realise the potential of the site. As such, both should be the focus of our attention.

Quote:
His point about people's obsession with building height is also valid.
I don't think people on here have an obsession with height. I think they just want any building to be befitting for the area where it is located. Read back through the thread, and also the Strand Travelodge thread, and you'll see people calling for buildings along that stretch of road to be somewhere in the 10-15 storey range - which is befitting for that area. Similarly around Old Hall Street, you'll see calls for much taller proposals, because they are appropriate there. Although the new Premier Inn on Hanover Street isn't to everyone's taste in terms of design, I don't think any has complained about it being too short, as again, in terms of height it is appropriate for the area, and that's all that people want.

Quote:
I just can't see the driver behind this apparent hatred of the Halifax Building.
I think it's because it's the type of building that Liverpool became afflicted with during the 1990's, when we grabbed any investment coming into the city because there wasn't much of it. It's poorly designed, it doesn't address the area around it, and it doesn't realise the full potential of the site. People naturally want to see the city reach its full potential, and therefore want to see sites that don't come close to fully realising potential re-developed. The Doll's House isn't the only site that falls into this category - see the Crowne Plaza, Formule 1 Hotel, and the Youth Hostel for other examples - however as the most prominent example, it naturally gets most of the flack.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 01:57 PM   #57
T0M
Scousish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I think it's because it's the type of building that Liverpool became afflicted with during the 1990's, when we grabbed any investment coming into the city because there wasn't much of it. It's poorly designed, it doesn't address the area around it, and it doesn't realise the full potential of the site. People naturally want to see the city reach its full potential, and therefore want to see sites that don't come close to fully realising potential re-developed. The Doll's House isn't the only site that falls into this category - see the Crowne Plaza, Formule 1 Hotel, and the Youth Hostel for other examples - however as the most prominent example, it naturally gets most of the flack.
Chris is right. The reason that this common animosity towards this building seems to have sprung up overnight is because in the last few years we've seen the gradual redevelopment of several key surrounding sites, including Liverpool One, the Arena and the Pier Head and Museum developments, all of which have given us a glimpse of the sort of standard we should expect for this prestigious area of the city.

Ten years ago the Dolls house wasn't seen as a big problem because a) there were far bigger architectural concerns to worry about and b) other than the Albert Dock and the three graces there wasn't a lot else around of significantly better quality to compare it to. Now we've addressed lots of the real problem areas and have got some of the best architects in the world designing modern, striking, high qualitiy buildings in the immediate vincinity and the Dolls house is looking more and more out of place. Fortunately we're not the only ones to feel this way, and we can expect that site to fetch a lot of money at some point in the not too distant future (fingers crossed!) and see a development worthy of the location in its place.
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #58
Poolcool
BANNED

The building is a fkn embarrassment, it shouts the Liverpool labour party was here. There's no way this pathetic dollop should be allowed to exist. It should be knocked down and the site landscaped.
Poolcool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM   #59
Evertonian
BANNED

People have got a real bee in their bonnet about this one building. It's comical!

I can think off the top of my head of a dozen other buildings in town that offend me more.

Surely people must see the logic in sorting out buildings like the Irish Centre or the Tobbacco Warehouse and such BEFORE thinking of demolishing a perfectly sound, yet admitedly unimpressive building.

Personally I find buildings like Costco, on prime, city centre real estate, to be a more offensive example of labour's cheap and nasty approach to the city.

Knock that down and build Everton's stadium there.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM   #60
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

To think, there's a handful of posts about the "Doll's House" on the Dolls House thread (with a year's gap between them). Totally OTT! Outrageous!

As a strange old bugger in Oxford once shouted at the driver when informed that the bus he was trying to board actually went to the destination on its sign rather than distant Banbury, which wasn't even served by Oxford buses: "I'm contacting the United Nations!"
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote