daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #61
yoshef
I like beer.

Likes (Received): 391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertonian View Post
Knock that down and build Everton's stadium there.

Nice to see the Everton stadium shoehorned into yet another thread. You're worse than John and his trainset. Hang your head in shame
yoshef no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM   #62
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1492

Quote:
People have got a real bee in their bonnet about this one building. It's comical!
I think the, what some might call excessive, dislike of the Doll's House is merely a manifestation of the passion and desire of people to see the city achieve all it can.

Quote:
Surely people must see the logic in sorting out buildings like the Irish Centre or the Tobbacco Warehouse and such BEFORE thinking of demolishing a perfectly sound, yet admitedly unimpressive building.
I don't think it has to be case of one, and then the other. I don't think there's any reason why can't we address sites like these that are in need of attention (for different reasons) at the same time. We have people/groups in the city focused on heritage, we have others focused on attracting new business and investment. Let the former deal with the Irish Centre and Tobacco Warehouse, and the latter deal with sites like the Doll's House.

Quote:
Personally I find buildings like Costco, on prime, city centre real estate, to be a more offensive example of labour's cheap and nasty approach to the city.
I'll concede that Costco has even less right to be where it is than the Doll's House, however ultimately they both suffer from the same problem - not fully realising the potential of the sites in question.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:19 PM   #63
Evertonian
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Where is John these days!?
Evertonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #64
Evertonian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I think the, what some might call excessive, dislike of the Doll's House is merely a manifestation of the passion and desire of people to see the city achieve all it can.

I don't think it has to be case of one, and then the other. I don't think there's any reason why can't we address sites like these that are in need of attention (for different reasons) at the same time. We have people/groups in the city focused on heritage, we have others focused on attracting new business and investment. Let the former deal with the Irish Centre and Tobacco Warehouse, and the latter deal with sites like the Doll's House.

I'll concede that Costco has even less right to be where it is than the Doll's House, however ultimately they both suffer from the same problem - not fully realising the potential of the sites in question.
I understand what you're saying I just find it amusing that this poor little sod of a building....out of all the shockers in town is Public Enemy number one on this site. Haha!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:49 PM   #65
Hans Groover

Likes (Received): 26

I propose that next year, we should have a new artistic festival (building on our CoC Heritage) that's themed around literalism. I suggest it should be called 'Literalpool'.

Three example events would be:

1. The dumping of 12 tons of liver into the Albert Dock (ie; quite literally 'Liverpool'). Directed by Heston Blumenthal.

2. The Doll's House, converted to an immersive installation which is simply a giant doll's house. (Title: "The Doll's House"). Curators: Tracey Emin, Grayson Perry.

3. The inaugral running of Merseytram. The first tram has a 40ft animatronic replica of Noddy attached to the top, in a 'sitting/riding' position. He rings a bell as the tram proceeds around its route. Conductor: applications invited.
Hans Groover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM   #66
Evertonian
BANNED

haha! Ace!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:03 PM   #67
Medici
Beppo

Likes (Received): 2

The Doll's House tells you everything about the anti modernist crowd. This faux Georgian neo vernacular crap is the product of a complete lack of imagination in architecture. It should be flattened and something more appropriate built in its place, not a case of if but when.
Medici no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:08 PM   #68
Joe the red

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
People have got a real bee in their bonnet about this one building. It's comical!

I can think off the top of my head of a dozen other buildings in town that offend me more.

Surely people must see the logic in sorting out buildings like the Irish Centre or the Tobbacco Warehouse and such BEFORE thinking of demolishing a perfectly sound, yet admitedly unimpressive building.

Personally I find buildings like Costco, on prime, city centre real estate, to be a more offensive example of labour's cheap and nasty approach to the city.

Knock that down and build Everton's stadium there.
As Awayo says, the first post on this thread was an article specifically about the building itself, no negativity from anyone, Stanley Park pops up and refers to a more than one year old post and you pop up with a defence of something which wasn't even under attack. And as Yosh notes somehow manage to get EFC's new ground into the umpteenth thread.

Joe the red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:30 PM   #69
T0M
Scousish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Groover View Post
I propose that next year, we should have a new artistic festival (building on our CoC Heritage) that's themed around literalism. I suggest it should be called 'Literalpool'.

Three example events would be:

1. The dumping of 12 tons of liver into the Albert Dock (ie; quite literally 'Liverpool'). Directed by Heston Blumenthal.

2. The Doll's House, converted to an immersive installation which is simply a giant doll's house. (Title: "The Doll's House"). Curators: Tracey Emin, Grayson Perry.

3. The inaugral running of Merseytram. The first tram has a 40ft animatronic replica of Noddy attached to the top, in a 'sitting/riding' position. He rings a bell as the tram proceeds around its route. Conductor: applications invited.
Awesome idea. I think we should brand it as a CoC 'legacy' project, because everything arty that happens in the city now is only as a direct result of the CoC.

2. I think the Dolls House installation should include lifesized 'dolls' who are incased in resin for the duration of the exhibition, including the original architect and all members of the planning committee who approved it, dressed in full Victorian costumes and enjoying a medieval banquat of roasted lambanana and grilled penguine, being served by a couple of the poor sods who once worked there, looking suitably dejected and misserable whilst an audio loop of Paperback Write plays continuously over loud speakers.

Actually, when's the next Biennial?....
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #70
Evertonian
BANNED

I don't see anything wrong with pointing out there's worse buildings in Liverpool that should be knocked down.

I don't see theres anything wrong with suggesting a new stadium is built on one of those sites.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:16 PM   #71
Evertonian
BANNED

By the way i've heard the "dolls house" be mentioned on multiple threads, specifically remember it coming up in a conversation about Mann Island and relating that scheme to the rest of the strand.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:27 PM   #72
Evertonian
BANNED

Oh and when comparing to John MK: John is the SOLE advocate of his own pie in the sky rail plan....noone else proposes it, it's never been on the drawing board.

....whereas clearly there has been a well publicised stadium move plan (twice actually) and the nwda, mdhc, LCC, Bill Kenwright, Robert Elestone, Tesco, Liverpool Vision, Bestway, and dozens of interested parties have advocated and/or planned for a new stadium.

Theres a fundamental difference (not least in his disgraceful attitude)
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:02 PM   #73
Lathom

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with pointing out there's worse buildings in Liverpool that should be knocked down.

I don't see theres anything wrong with suggesting a new stadium is built on one of those sites.
Neither do I. And may I say - without wishing to sound patronizing - that I have been impressed by your readiness on other threads to admit when you have been wrong, which is very rare on the forum and not at all like JohnMK.

However I think there is some justification for the preoccupation with this building. It is not uniquely awful architecturally (though it is awful in a non-unique way). And it produced, while it was occupied, rental and rates income, and housed workers who bought sandwiches in town, etc.

The fact that it is of recent construction, though it makes its demolition not very green, is a large part of the problem. It is a standing reminder of a time not long ago when the city was so short of investment that anything pretty much would get through. Of all the examples of this (e.g. the budget hotels down the road) it is the most prominently located.

It isn't helped by standing on the site earmarked for a large magistrates' court block, which would have masked the cliff-like wall of the QEII courts. The setting only accentuates its diminutive stature. I remember the acute disappointment when I saw just how dinky the steel framework was turning out to be while they were building it.

If, as seems likely, its days are numbered, and especially if a substantial courts building is erected in its place, I will personally find this a rewarding moment that will be, as you say, 'out of all proportion' to the building's size and practical importance. It's a symbolic thing.
Lathom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:03 PM   #74
Medici
Beppo

Likes (Received): 2

I agree with Evertonian, that there are lots of candidates for replacement.

Queen Square, for me is tasteless. Although a complete replacement is out of the question, I do think the retail sheds that border Williamson Square could be replaced with something superior. The area could be further enhanced by extending the layout down past the Blessed Sacrament church on land currently occupied by a taxi rank, thus adding density and a new street to the city centre.
Medici no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #75
Evertonian
BANNED

Queens square is horrific and (sadly) a fitting testament to Merseytravels discusting taste.

The dolls house would make a decent enough block of flats. Failing that convert it into a hotel, with a decent pub on the bottom floor to replace the much missed coopers.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM   #76
Chris B
Liverpool - Est. 1207

Likes (Received): 1492

I had to do a bit of digging to find this thread. Unfortunately, the reason for the bump is not what we'd like to see.

It seems the GMCP (Greater Merseyside Connexions Partnership), which has been operating out of the Doll's House for a while, is now applying for planning permission for permanent signage. From that we can infer that they intend to be there for some time, and thus, so will the Doll's House.

Not great news. But posted here for the record.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:37 PM   #77
bluesnapper

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I had to do a bit of digging to find this thread. Unfortunately, the reason for the bump is not what we'd like to see.

It seems the GMCP (Greater Merseyside Connexions Partnership), which has been operating out of the Doll's House for a while, is now applying for planning permission for permanent signage. From that we can infer that they intend to be there for some time, and thus, so will the Doll's House.

Not great news. But posted here for the record.
There are a good few signs in the upper windows of the building as I drove past on Saturday.
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM   #78
design_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesnapper View Post
There are a good few signs in the upper windows of the building as I drove past on Saturday.
Oh dear.

http://www.connexionslive.com/AboutC...s/Default.aspx

We are dealing here with people so stupid that they include the main acronym (in this case NCN) and don't even know it's sensible or necessary to spell out what it stands for..... really really dumb, third world, pathetic, stupid sort of stuff. Why not just put a big sign up saying "SOME STUPID PEOPLE WHO ARE PAID TO TALK TO YOU ARE IN HERE" if they want a sign?

I've never once had decent careers advice, but received poor careers advice when I was younger. And that's natural, because the "advice" was given by Careers Officers, and if they knew their arse from their elbows they'd have found a proper career for themselves. It's a bit like those "get rich" schemes by criminal losers, I mean, who is really tricked by them except vulnerable and stupid people?

The Dolls House is evil and should be demolished immediately.
design_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:31 PM   #79
design_man

Oh dear. I just searched for jobs on that site, just typing "all" to the various choices, and the first job is throws up is this:

"Vacancy: Apprentice Beauty Therapist

Tasks: You will be working in a beauty salon based in Birkenhead. Your duties will involve facials, waxing and lash & brow treatments. You will also be doing manicures, pedicures and nail treatments. Other duties will involve reception duties.

Essential Criteria: You must have an NVQ L2 in Beauty Therapy. You must possess skills and experience in facials, manicure, pedicure, waxing, and lash and brow treatments. You must also be polite, presentable and punctual.

Training on Offer: An NVQ level 3 in Beauty Therapy with in house training through Wirral Metropolitan College.

Please be aware that this vacancy may close earlier than the date stated.

Please note, a direct approach to this employer will result in the application being disqualified.

Hours: 40 hours Monday-Friday including one day in college

Ages: 16 to 65

Pay: £120 per week

Closing Date: 09/12/2012

---

So they have the utter and insane nerve to demand a "qualification" for a post that pays £120 a week for a 40 hour week? And the only remotely positive thing is day release to study for another useless qualification?

This is mad. People have more intelligence and ability than this. And why is someone "disqualified" if they apply direct to the employer? What sort of bossy fascism is that? Disqualified.

Horrendous. The young will slit our throats in rage if this carries on. Oh yes, it's open to those aged 64, and you will have a fair chance at interview if you are 64.

That organisation is useless, and should not be keeping the Dolls House in use. This is public money and it's a total waste of time and money, and does nothing to promote growth or opportunity.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM   #80
design_man

But on second thoughts, it's top of the list for a reason. This is the second to the top of the list.

Vacancy: Hairdressing Apprenticeship

Tasks: You will be working in a hairdressing salon based in Southport. Your duties will involve customer service and client care. You will be keeping the salon environment tidy and be shampooing. As your skills increase, your duties will include cutting, styling, colouring and perming.

Essential Criteria: You need to have a friendly and motivated attitude towards work and clients. You must be able to use your own initiative. You must have a helpful nature towards clients and your employer. You must also respond positively when asked to carry out any instruction.
Desirable Criteria: A good knowledge of basic Maths and English would be an advantage

Training on Offer: An NVQ level 2 in Hairdressing will be offered via Michael John with in house training.
Please be aware that this vacancy may close earlier than the date stated.

Please note, a direct approach to this employer will result in the application being disqualified.

Hours: 30 hours per week

Ages: 16 to 65

Pay: £79.50 per week

Closing Date: 23/12/2012
--

Wow, almost £80 a week. More bogus rubbish qualification nonsense. More threats of disqualification if you actually walk in with your cv and offer your services (how dare you show initiative! Do you have NVQ level 2 in "showing initiative"?).

We should leave this to the market, it's not appropriate for public agencies to be faking opportunities that are actually nothing of the sort.