daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #1
RSG

Likes (Received): 4

Construction Techniques

Everytime I see one of the awesome pictures of these buildings at different stages, I try and get a good look at the construction being undertaken. I thought it would be good to start a thread that we can discuss these techniques. As I work as a structural design draftsperson, I am always interested in techniques from around the world.

An example being, we had a visit at work from the bosses old friend from the states who showed us some of the buildings he designed. One of the largest was a student precinct at a university over there which consisted of an indoor traing athletics field, pools and other facilites, as well as student accomodation, library and offices. When discussing the methods of construction for the student accomodation, the structure was made completely of steel. This was interesting as we thought that concrete would not only be easier to erect, but it would also be more economical. The most interesting part was that the american did not agree with our comments.

In terms of the thread
I will start with the ecavation of Ahmed Abdul Rahim Al Attar Tower.

I am unsure but it looks as though they have excavated through rock and installing anchors into the rock with bored piers that incude starter bars for columns. Either that is rock or some kind of shoring wall. If that is a shoring wall, I am curious on why they didn't use a pile shoring system. Was it a case of the contractor winning the tender with their system or a geotech issue.

Any comments?

Another tecnique in construction I am interested in, is the slip forming of concrete towers. I believe the Khalifa Sports City Tower in Qatar uses this method.

[img]http://i1.************/nfitm1.jpg[/img]

I would love to see the raising close up. Structural Systems in Australia have a system that can raise the formwork at 300mm per hour. Amazing.

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Brad
voyageur

Likes (Received): 4163

[QUOTE=RSG;10415451]

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324

Last edited by Brad; November 9th, 2006 at 02:07 PM.
Brad no está en línea   Reply With Quote