daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Old September 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #4301
deskoh91
Land Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm6299 View Post
Indeed, but given the demographic of the area is one that would not necessarily use the MRT, the children is all they have left to capture the imagination of the public in the area.
not to forget the schoolgoers are the key demographics likely to use this part of the line...
deskoh91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 15th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #4302
eX.A.K.R.

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seloloving View Post
Argh, girls. :S (The old My Little Pony is awesome, though)

I would name it Kim Jong Il. Kim Jong Il burrowing through the sand!!
Off-topic: ...Selo, you like the pre-FiM My Little Pony? Oo;

...OK...

On-topic: Well, do consider the fact that stage 2 of the Downtown Line will run through a large number of schools, and that stage 3 will terminate near a future university. I forsee that this line is going to be used mostly by students in the future, so it's a good idea to get them involved with the construction of the line now.

Also, I know this is late, but whatever. :P

eX.A.K.R. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #4303
Seloloving

I liked a A Very Minty Christmas. It along with Hamtaro, Pokémon, Winx Club and Thomas the Tank Engine defined my childhood.

(nice image, by the way)

As for DTL, what future University will be situated near Expo? o.O;
Seloloving no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #4304
circleline4
Whoop

Likes (Received): 41

It's the future Singapore University of Design and Technology, SUDT in short.
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #4305
aforl

Likes (Received): 17

Actually its Singapore University of Technology and Design, SUTD (Although they mean the same thing lol).
Its just next to the Upper Changi station.
2012 first intake of students, but the campus at Upper Changi wont open till 2018..
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #4306
Aranho

Likes (Received): 14

SCGS made those masculine TBMs sounds feminine just by the name itself, just saying. And the names sounds like it's taken or inspired from their class naming system they use in their schools, just saying again. :/

Oh well, I won't blame anyone since it's for public relations. As long people does not stop the construction, I am happy.

As for the schools involved for the naming of the TBMs of 920, I'm highly guessing both of them will be named by ACS Primary (STV-NEW) and ACS Junior (NEW-LTI). Just like the other TBMs, these two primary schools are roughly in the middle between the two sections.

I doubt any secondary schools will be involved since I guess most secondary students are either not interested or will make fun of the TBMs in school.

Are there gonna be any TBMs between TKK and SAV? If so, I wonder if it gonna goes to Hwa Chong for the naming for will it automatically goes to RGPS since it's the nearest primary school there. Tough luck for Hwa Chong.

Last edited by Aranho; September 15th, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Aranho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #4307
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 40

I'm pretty sure that there won't be separate TBMs for STV to NEW. Instead, it will simply use C919 from BTN to NEW as there is no space at STV for a TBM shaft to lift and lower the machines. Moreover, STV is a stacked station which would make it even more complicated.

So far we know...
C915 - C&C to HVW? or C&C to BTW?
C916 - BTW to KAP (2 machines)
C917 - KAP to SAV (2 machines)
C918 - TKK to BTN (2 machines) and TKK to SAV (1 machine; total 3 machines)
C919 - BTN to NEW (2 machines)
C920 - LTI to NEW? Sgmrtbuilder, any idea?
C921 - RCR to BGS

All in all, there are supposed to be 19 machines working on this stretch.

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...84612760_n.jpg

Last edited by mrtfreak; September 16th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #4308
sgmrtbuilder

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
I'm pretty sure that there won't be separate TBMs for STV to NEW. Instead, it will simply use C919 from BTN to NEW as there is no space at STV for a TBM shaft to lift and lower the machines. Moreover, STV is a stacked station which would make it even more complicated.

So far we know...
C915 - C&C to HVW? or C&C to BTW?
C917 - KAP to SAV and TKK to SAV (4 machines)
C918 - TKK to BTN (2 machines)
C919 - BTN to NEW (2 machines)
C920 - LTI to NEW? Sgmrtbuilder, any idea?
C921 - RCR to BGS

All in all, there are supposed to be 19 machines working on this stretch.

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...84612760_n.jpg

C920 has 4 TBM's; not 2 - they have 2 drives from LTI to NEW (1 TBM already delivered - tunnelling to start soon i guess) & then 2 drives from NEW to STV.

On mine, we have 1 TBM that has to do both drives from RCR to the receiving shaft at Queen Street (the end of C903 - DTL1)

On C919, they have 2 TBM's - to drive between their 2 stations - from BTN to STV

C915 - has 4 TBM's. 2 drives from Hume to Beauty World & then 2 drives from Hume to Hillview.

C913 has 4 TBM's - to drive between Hillview & Cashew + 2 more to drive from Cashew to Bukit Panjang

C917 / C918 has 5 TBM's in total. 1 TBM will be doing 2 drives. They have 6 drives in total.

Last edited by sgmrtbuilder; September 16th, 2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: add-in info
sgmrtbuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #4309
mrtfreak

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

From C916 Beauty World's FB page:

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...59362525_n.jpg

They are up to permanent ring 54 which is roughly 75.6m from the station area. The distance between BTW and KAP is roughly 1.2km.

Corrections on TBM after sgrmrtbuilder's input:

C913 - CSW to HVW (2 machines) and CSW to BPJ (2 machines; total 4 machines)
C915 - C&C to HVW (2 machines) and C&C to BTW (2 machines; total 4 machines)
C919 - BTN to STV (2 machines)
C920 - LTI to NEW (2 machines) and NEW to STV (2 machines; total 4 machines)
C921 - RCR to BGS (1 machine)

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a whopping 22 machines for DTL2?
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #4310
sgmrtbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

From C916 Beauty World's FB page:

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/...59362525_n.jpg

They are up to permanent ring 54 which is roughly 75.6m from the station area. The distance between BTW and KAP is roughly 1.2km.

Corrections on TBM after sgrmrtbuilder's input:

C913 - CSW to HVW (2 machines) and CSW to BPJ (2 machines; total 4 machines)
C915 - C&C to HVW (2 machines) and C&C to BTW (2 machines; total 4 machines)
C919 - BTN to STV (2 machines)
C920 - LTI to NEW (2 machines) and NEW to STV (2 machines; total 4 machines)
C921 - RCR to BGS (1 machine)

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a whopping 22 machines for DTL2?

Am not so sure on the number of TBM's on C913 & C915 - but the drives are correct. They must have at least 3 each though....i'll check.
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:13 AM   #4311
mrtfreak

Thanks a lot sgmrtbuilder. I guess LTA must have their schedule fully booked if they want to engage the community this much.
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #4312
sgmrtbuilder

Ok - update, C913 has 2 TBM's & C915 has 3 TBM's (1 does 2 drives) - hence the total number is indeed 19....
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #4313
circleline4
Whoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranho View Post
SCGS made those masculine TBMs sounds feminine just by the name itself, just saying. And the names sounds like it's taken or inspired from their class naming system they use in their schools, just saying again. :/

Oh well, I won't blame anyone since it's for public relations. As long people does not stop the construction, I am happy.

As for the schools involved for the naming of the TBMs of 920, I'm highly guessing both of them will be named by ACS Primary (STV-NEW) and ACS Junior (NEW-LTI). Just like the other TBMs, these two primary schools are roughly in the middle between the two sections.

I doubt any secondary schools will be involved since I guess most secondary students are either not interested or will make fun of the TBMs in school.

Are there gonna be any TBMs between TKK and SAV? If so, I wonder if it gonna goes to Hwa Chong for the naming for will it automatically goes to RGPS since it's the nearest primary school there. Tough luck for Hwa Chong.
I'm afraid you're wrong. LTA came down to the Barker/Primary canteen on Thursday to invite us to name the C920 TBMs. I'm not sure whether Junior is involved though.

As for BTN, I saw about 20 new tunnel 'rings' laid just beside the gantry crane. Tunneling at NEW should start soon too.
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #4314
sgmrtbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by circleline4 View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong. LTA came down to the Barker/Primary canteen on Thursday to invite us to name the C920 TBMs. I'm not sure whether Junior is involved though.

As for BTN, I saw about 20 new tunnel 'rings' laid just beside the gantry crane. Tunneling at NEW should start soon too.

Tunnelling at Newton won't start for a few months - but it will start at LTI very soon, for the tunnels to Newton.
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #4315
circleline4
Whoop

Ah, sorry for the mistake there. So there's going to be a total of 4 machines are heading towards STV? Can't imagine a retrieval shaft in the midst of that congested site.. I'm guessing the 2 from BTN would finish their drives in about Q1 2013 and the ones from NEW in Q3 2013?

Here are some new photos of the C919 TBM from LTA's FB page.

Last edited by circleline4; September 16th, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
circleline4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #4316
whatzup

Likes (Received): 0

There was an article today in The Straits Times on page A18 "Donwtown Line likely to bust $12b budged" In the article I found some information I would like to share:
Quote "Stage 3, an eastern wing that goes to Bedok and Pasir Ris, was least costly..."
I am confused....
whatzup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #4317
circleline4
Whoop

It's probably just some typo. Bedok - yes. Pasir Ris? - I think they meant Changi or Tampines . There was once CNA wrote that the acquired flea market land at Sungei Road was to make way for the CCL construction. Hence, not surprising.
Old September 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #4318
deskoh91
Land Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 30

seems most of our rail line budgets are underestimated in both timeline and cost, judging by how CCL and DTL is doing. to be fair though, they did add an additional station...

I suppose the overrun is the reason LTA appears to be siting DTL3 stations at relatively empty plots rather than to try to push them as close to developments as possible.

$11 billion has been awarded for stations so far, with another $1.13 billion towards E&M contracts and more are to follow suit. I will think the overrun will be in the magnitude of CCL, where $6.7b became $8-$10b. we may be looking at $14b this time for DTL.

==

The most expensive part of the Downtown Line is Stage 1, which runs through heavily built-up areas such as Chinatown, Bugis and Telok Ayer. It had an average cost of $390 million per station.

Stage 2, linking the Bukit Timah corridor to the downtown area, was second at $313 million per station. This portion includes cost for a depot in the north.

Stage 3, an eastern wing that goes to Bedok and Pasir Ris, was the least costly, averaging $210 million per station.

The LTA attributed the cost differences to factors such as the station's size, its surrounding environment and construction complexities.

'For example, stations in the city area are often constructed in a narrow corridor and there is insufficient space for road diversions,' it said.

'So contractors had to come up with alternative solutions like the temporary vehicular viaduct along Cross Street.'

The LTA added that Stage 2 goes through the granite-filled Bukit Timah area, which makes excavation slow and costly.

Stage 1 and 2 jobs, it noted, were also called during a time when the construction industry was experiencing a boom and contractors had plenty of jobs elsewhere.

'Ground conditions for Stage 3 are generally less onerous. The ground is softer and the area is not so built-up,' it said. 'So it is technically easier.'

Also, contracts for this stretch were called during a construction slump following the 2008-2009 economic meltdown.

Heated competition among contractors - some of whom had never bid for jobs here - helped drive down costs as well.

The Transport GPC is keeping tabs on the development. Mr Chong quipped: 'Whatever the overrun, we just hope that it won't be in the magnitude of the YOG.'

He was referring to the Youth Olympic Games hosted by Singapore last year. It cost $387 million - more than three times the initial projection of $122 million.

The three stages of the Downtown Line will open in 2013, 2015 and 2017 respectively.
deskoh91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #4319
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 282

Some pics I took of the Downtown station site. The road above the station is almost done. Here are some pics.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...54244774_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...07945005_n.jpg

Btw, if you can't see the images I posted, I have deleted them.
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #4320
y2koh

Likes (Received): 79

Thanks Mith, looks like the work is progressing very well, we may be looking at a 1Q2013 opening if the train testing proceed smoothly.
y2koh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
mrt