daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2006, 04:51 PM   #21
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 94

Ok here are some more pics.

Ok this one is real small but i like it anyway.

Sponsored Links

Old December 29th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #22
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Ok I'm bored so I thought I'd add some new development info to this thread. Its mostly housing but anything that makes Telf bigger and more important is fine by me.
Here is a link to some info about Lawley.
Lawley is a sustainable urban extension to the west of town involving 3300 homes, offices, shops a primary school etc http://www.lawley.info/qanda.htm

You Brummies might like this, Its the Lightmoor village which is UC 850 homes in SW Telford built by Bournville Village Trust and inspired by the original Bournville.

http://www.lightmoor.info/

The Telford Millenium Community at East Ketley NW of the town centre, its 750 houses and its supposed to be sustainable and stuff
http://www.tmc-eastketley.info/home.htm

If you've been on the train between Telford and Shrewsbury recently you've probably seen the ground investigation works etc on the site already.

I'm struggling to find info on them but there is also the 600 homes/business development nr jct 4 of the 54 which also includes a hotel up to 11 storeys and a swanky apartment block at Shifnal Road, Priorslee overlooking the M54 called the Lexington. The plan apps for these have been submitted cos I have worked on them but I just cant find any info to share soz.
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #23
van heckler

Likes (Received): 67

I've never really considered Telford to be that big, but when looking at the Terraserver satelite image of the West Midlands, it looks almost as big as Coventry. Any explanations for this?

http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/i...&t=drag&OL=Off

Nice avatar by the way Telfordboy. The Iron Bridge is an architectural wonder.
van heckler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #24
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Cheers man. The simple reason is because it is that big. 30 square miles making it 2sqm bigger than Wolverhampton. Its mostly low density though thats why we've only got about half the population of Coventry.
Also when you're driving around in Telford the urban form / townscape is hidden by all the trees.
There is a lot of potential for growth here and the infrastructure is in place for a much higher popn.
Have a look at this http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail...4&NewsAreaID=2 Its about Telford being a New Growth Point and its aims to build 13,000 new homes by 2016.
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #25
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Wow, them developments look huge. I like the use of water in the second housing project and wide open green spaces which would work well as nature reserves. The New Hall Manor Estate just north of Walmley has a couple of nature reserves but I doubt they even considered making ponds. The country park is next door anyway and that's got Plants Brook (albeit channelled and clogged full of litter).

Just out of interest, on the first masterplan, has the Persimmon The Laurels already been built? It rings a bell.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #26
rottersclub

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by van heckler View Post
I've never really considered Telford to be that big, but when looking at the Terraserver satelite image of the West Midlands, it looks almost as big as Coventry. Any explanations for this?

http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/i...&t=drag&OL=Off

Nice avatar by the way Telfordboy. The Iron Bridge is an architectural wonder.
Just a guess, but Telford's a new town - it's a lot more spread out and contains more semi and detached houses. Coventry's very dense (In more ways than one! ) and consists mainly of very narrow streets of terraced housing - if you go 3-4 miles out of the city centre into some of the suburbs, it's predominantly terraced housing. Coventry also contains a lot of high rise and low flats - whole suburbs like Bell Green consist of flats.

Telford didn't seem that big last time I drove through it - you can drive about 8-9 miles across Coventry and it's all built up. Even further if you go up towards Bedworth and Nuneaton.
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:46 AM   #27
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1219

Yeah, Telford's suburbs are all spread out with stacks of green in between the lickle townlets. I quite like that about Telford, it gives each community a slight sense of identity I'd have thought.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 03:14 PM   #28
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post

Yeah, Telford's suburbs are all spread out with stacks of green in between the lickle townlets. I quite like that about Telford, it gives each community a slight sense of identity I'd have thought.
It also makes it impossible to walk anywhere and public transport inefficient. But it does make it really green and leafy. They always call it a Forest City.
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #29
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

A small tidbit about the apartment building I mentioned before.

£20m 'landmark' planned for town

A £20m luxury apartment block designed by the architects behind the world's only seven star hotel is being planned for Shropshire.
The building, in the Priorslee area of Telford, will contain 129 apartments with the biggest - a three bedroom penthouse flat - costing £1m.

Drivers on the M54 will be able to see the development which, planners say, will signal their arrival into Telford.

Architects WS Atkins designed the acclaimed Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai.

Eco-friendly

The company behind the plans, Clutton Homes, has been working with Telford and Wrekin Borough Council to draw up an appropriate scheme and a planning application will be submitted this week.

Rob Clutton, from Clutton Homes, said he wanted to include eco-friendly aspects in the development.

"The land has interesting features, it drops by six metres from the top to the bottom and, working with the architects, I thought we could do something more sustainable here.

"It will have sustainable drainage and as the development progresses we will look at earthcore heating and solar panels."

From BBC Slops. Thats all the info there seems to be on it but I know the app has been submitted cos I looked at it at work its number is W2006/0867
and it'll be called The Lexington or summat.
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #30
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Sounds quite impressive Telfordboy! This is one to watch.

I once had to drive to Priorslee to take our now deceased budgie for a show-and-tell that my sister was doing at the nursery she worked at. I remember him jingling around in his cage on the loud and bumpy M54!
Old January 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #31
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Looks great Telfordboy! Is this Telford's first £1m+ penthouse?
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #32
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 77

That apartment block looks nice
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #33
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Looks great Telfordboy! Is this Telford's first £1m+ penthouse?
That it is, it'll be in quite a prominent location on the Shifnal road in Priorslee and it'll be quite high on a hill overlooking the 54. Now I'm just waiting for something like this in the town centre but there just isn't anything happening in town right now.
I reckon its because something big is gonna happen in the Southwater/Coach Central area which is the area show in that Hickton Madeley Masterplan which seemed to involve the demolition of the bus station. This is 1 of the main policies in the Central Telford AAP in the LDF and will involve its relocation closer to the train station on Lawn Central. Personally I would quite like the design in that masterplan.
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #34
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

I finally found a picture of Telford's skyline but it doesn't seem to want to be uploaded so here is the link to it, if you're interested that is.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdaddymerk/2197045/
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #35
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Nice little photo.

But why is one of the tags "chavs"??
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #36
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Cos of the cars in the foreground, note the Vauxhall Corsa or chavmobile.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM   #37
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Woo hoo good news, something may actually happen in this town.

£20m luxury flats backed

Plans for a £20 million block of luxury apartments in Telford have won the backing of council officers.

The scheme for the flagship building in Priorslee - eight storeys high in places and containing 129 apartments - will be decided at Telford & Wrekin Council’s planning committee next week, it was revealed today.

It is being recommended for approval, as long as the developers agree to plough money in to primary education, recreation facilities and road improvements, and provide 22 shared ownership homes.

The development has been designed by WS Atkins, which created the seven-star Burj Al Arab hotel in Dubai, and is to go before the plans board next Wednesday.

A deal has already been agreed for the biggest apartment, a three-bedroom penthouse, which has a price tag of £1 million.

The multi-million pound scheme, called The Lexington, would be off Shifnal Road in Priorslee.

The same site was previously the focus of concern among residents, who feared it would be used to house asylum seekers.

And The Lexington proved controversial when it was first announced, with some residents claiming it would blight their properties.

But today Rob Clutton, who runs Clutton Homes, said he believed the development had won over critics.

He said his company had worked closely with Telford & Wrekin Council over the last 18 months to gain full officer support and he understood there had only been a “handful” of letters of inquiry in response to the latest plans.

“The design of the final building is now highly complex in responding to the different and often conflicting needs of the various stakeholders,” he said.

“For example, the elevation on the Shifnal Road side is designed to present a two to four-storey face that blends seamlessly into its semi-rural surroundings; in contrast, the elevation on the M54 side soars higher, presenting an iconic welcome to Telford.”

He said his company had spent £200,000 drawing up the plans and he was hopeful planning permission would be granted.

Council spokesman David Morgan, said: “The recommendation is for granting approval subject to conditions.”

By Becky Parkinson
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:15 PM   #38
rottersclub

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
A small tidbit about the apartment building I mentioned before.

£20m 'landmark' planned for town

A £20m luxury apartment block designed by the architects behind the world's only seven star hotel is being planned for Shropshire.
The building, in the Priorslee area of Telford, will contain 129 apartments with the biggest - a three bedroom penthouse flat - costing £1m.

Drivers on the M54 will be able to see the development which, planners say, will signal their arrival into Telford.

Architects WS Atkins designed the acclaimed Burj Al Arab Hotel in Dubai.

Eco-friendly

The company behind the plans, Clutton Homes, has been working with Telford and Wrekin Borough Council to draw up an appropriate scheme and a planning application will be submitted this week.

Rob Clutton, from Clutton Homes, said he wanted to include eco-friendly aspects in the development.

"The land has interesting features, it drops by six metres from the top to the bottom and, working with the architects, I thought we could do something more sustainable here.

"It will have sustainable drainage and as the development progresses we will look at earthcore heating and solar panels."

From BBC Slops. Thats all the info there seems to be on it but I know the app has been submitted cos I looked at it at work its number is W2006/0867
and it'll be called The Lexington or summat.
That looks really smart. Certainly better than the dismal stuff they're building in Cov.
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:19 PM   #39
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

At least stuff actually gets built in Cov, that new square is really cool, in the last 10 years about 6 new buildings have been built in central Telford.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM   #40
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Never complain about central Telford - it has those blue glass mini skyscrapers! Nowhere else in the Midlands out of Birmingham has got anything like that, apart from those new ones in Cannock perhaps!

Tags
city centre