daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:56 PM   #41
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 94

I do love those, there is still a empty plot of land next to the tallest blue one that has outline for office or hotel and I'm hopeful that whatever goes there will be at least 15 storeys it would look soo special.
The amount of space in central Telford is incredible, if you have ever been shopping here or anything you will have seen the acres and acres of surface car parks I want them all built on so it feels like a real place when you wander around, there is so much potential here its unbelievable.

Sponsored Links

Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM   #42
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

See the empty space here
http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cg...ut.x=3&out.y=8
The top right corner is the M54 crossing the railway and A442 Eastern Primary (Queensway).
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM   #43
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1220

Telford's roads are so curvy aren't they?

I wouldn't recommend building on the car parks. I've only shopped in Telford twice, well the second time we gave up looking for somewhere to park and carried on to Shrewsbury instead where there was loads of car parking spaces.

I am always impressed with the little cluster of mini skyscrapers in Telford and the brief view you get off the M54.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:50 PM   #44
rottersclub

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post

Telford's roads are so curvy aren't they?

I wouldn't recommend building on the car parks. I've only shopped in Telford twice, well the second time we gave up looking for somewhere to park and carried on to Shrewsbury instead where there was loads of car parking spaces.

I am always impressed with the little cluster of mini skyscrapers in Telford and the brief view you get off the M54.
And Shrewsbury is a gorgeous little city!
rottersclub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #45
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

The S word isn't allowed on the Telford thread
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #46
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Picture time...

Ok so I finally took my camera out and had a wonder around the town centre, these are my first try so please don't laugh. The weather was totally random one minute it were really sunny and then it started p*ssin it down so my trip was cut slightly short.

Well I'll start with Telford Square, named after the man himself. That is supposed to be a waterfall behind the statue of him but they stopped it cos people kept putting washing up liquid in it.

This is Wrekin Square I waited for bloody ages for that fountain to shoot high in the air but I guess it only does it in summer.

This one shows how dominant the car is, its taken from the red footbridge you might see in some other pic and shows the A5 Rampart Way, the A442 Eastern Primary and the M54 oh and the railway on the far right.

Time for an insight into the mindset of the youth of Telford, shiny new office block with its back to a footpath, clearly that means its time to put the windows out with rocks

This one is a bit rubbish but it kinda shows some of the town centre away from the mini scrapers. The trees in the far background are the entrance to the town park which is almost half the size of Sutton Park

From the old A5/Watling Street/Holyhead Road, cant remember what it's called here tbh but I couldn't resist getting the Wrekin in

If any of you saw that Telford Masterplan by SMC Hickton Madeley, this is the area that it was showing, its called Southwater and is at the edge of the town park, the green plastic buildings are a Focus DIY store and Spencers market which I suppose is our indoor market. That brown bit you see peeking over the top is the HQ of the council who recently had a super secret meeting on whether to destroy it and build a new one (fingers crossed).

The same area but further into the park, you can see Southwater Lake, by this point it were pouring with rain so I was stood in some gazeebo, sorry about the trees.

Some of what I guess is the CBD,
Does the skin on this building look familiar to any of you Brummies?

Telford Plaza 1 & 2, I like the step feature on the smaller one

Darby House, the oldest of all the mini scrapers in Telford and one of the few I don't remember being built

Some skylines,
From the new A5 Telford Way looking south west, the view used to be much better until those buildings in the foreground were built.

From the old A5 looking south east, in the foreground is Central Park

Looking past the train station back to the town centre

From the bridge over Hall Park Way looking east, you can see open countryside which is part of the Greenbelt between us and Wolves

I'll try and get some pictures of old Telford as soon as I can and some tower blocks for Butterfield too, enjoy.

Last edited by Telfordboy; February 23rd, 2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Being thick
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM   #47
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Thanks for the pictures. Telford is buzzing with culture and youthful excitement! OK, no need for sarcasm there but really great pictures! Thanks
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM   #48
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Was that last bit sarcasm as well?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:07 PM   #49
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Nope! Genuinely great pictures! You showed off the city centre pretty well - I love them mini-scrapers!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #50
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Chers man, and I'll love you forever now cos you called it a city centre (people always do that when they see the mini scrapers).
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM   #51
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Excellent work Telfordboy! I like it when people explain each photo.

Shame about that waterfall behind the statue - once may be funny but now they've spoilt it for us all.

You captured Telford Plaza well and it's good that you got it from a distance too. I've never noticed Darby House before - it looks more tower block than office block but that's good in my opinion!

Is the ice rink in any of those photos? I went there 10ish years ago with a group of people but I didn't skate.

A good set of photos, hope we get to see more of Telford soon!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #52
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

The ice rink is just to the right of that slightly fuzzy one with the trees and the lake in, It may be demolished and replaced soon as part of the regeneration of Southwater.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #53
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 77

Thanks for the pics TB
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM   #54
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
The ice rink is just to the right of that slightly fuzzy one with the trees and the lake in, It may be demolished and replaced soon as part of the regeneration of Southwater.
Interesting. Telford ice rink is the only reason people round here go to Telford - school trips and such. Will it be replaced with another?
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM   #55
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Probably, I think they're thinking super entertainement complex including cinema bowling and ice rink as all three are in the way of the redevelopment of central Telford.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM   #56
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

Nice pics Telfordboy!

Might even pay the place a visit one day!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM   #57
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Why on earth would you do that?
Unless its to visit Ironbridge that is.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:34 PM   #58
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Probably, I think they're thinking super entertainement complex including cinema bowling and ice rink as all three are in the way of the redevelopment of central Telford.
Good. Dudley and Wolverhampton have got plenty of cinemas and bowling alleys but only Telford has a skating rink! When I was young, Telford meant ice skating cos I remember my older sister used to go every so often with her friends.

Stratford = Shakespeare

Telford = ice skating
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM   #59
blahblah
Change is Here!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Why on earth would you do that?
Unless its to visit Ironbridge that is.

It don't hurt to go somewhere you've never been before mate. Me and the other half went to Worcester last sunday for the sheer hell of it, and because we'd never been before.

Cracking little place actually, lots of really nice georgian, and older buildings, and the Cathedral is beautiful.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM   #60
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Thats true man.
I forgot to mention earlier, suspicious fire at the proposed location of a new Tesco store.
Blaze tears through flats

Staff had to be evacuated from a Telford supermarket as a major fire tore through a row of flats above it.

The blaze took hold in flats above Somerfield in Russell Square, Madeley, Telford, from about 8pm yesterday, just after the store had closed.

A Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said everyone in the shop below had to leave the premises but no-one was believed to have been injured.

Madeley is a reet hell hole, it was this cute mining town in what is now south Telford but had its pretty little main street ruthlessley destroyed by 60s planners and replaced with a hideous carbuncle of a local centre and now Tesco wanna replace it and rebuild the high street etc.

Tags
city centre