daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old March 16th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #81
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

I saw this one the news. It looks very smart but I hear there are considerable objections because a lot of the land is countryside or something like that. The walkthrough videos looked very promising!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 16th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #82
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 68

Yeah thats right although its not properly countryside, its been inside Telford boundaries from the start and its been opencast mined so its brownfield land technically. They were gonna build here in the 70s etc but canned it when they revised the population target from 225k to 150k. I'm glad because it could have turned out like Woodside but I'm optimistic that this will be a really good area now.
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:33 AM   #83
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1026

Look what I've found!

I've got my own photo of this block from fiveish years ago through the windscreen of my car with the windscreen wipers on in the rain!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #84
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Ah Reynolds House in Ketley, saves me a trip. How does it rate on a scale of 1-10 in the Greater Birmingham Tower Blocks with 1 being the worst?
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #85
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 64

I think it's quite nice.
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #86
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

I don't mind it cos there are so few of them in Telford, it feels more 'city like' when you can see them.
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #87
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
Ah Reynolds House in Ketley, saves me a trip. How does it rate on a scale of 1-10 in the Greater Birmingham Tower Blocks with 1 being the worst?
I quite like it but it's slightly dull and could probably do with a nice makeover making it white or something but as you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
I don't mind it cos there are so few of them in Telford, it feels more 'city like' when you can see them.
which I agree with. Tower blocks tell you that there's a dense population in that town, and Telford has at least five blocks if I remember rightly.

I'd give it 5/10 compared with Birmingham's tower blocks. It's only 10 floors whereas most seem to be 12-15. But it looks in good condition so I may actually give it 6, or 7 cos it's Telford!
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #88
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Thats sweet of you lol.
We are about to get a lot bigger as well the govenrment wants us to build 30,000 houses ini the next few years which is more than the rest of Shropshire put together. Apparently there are 63,000 homes in Telford and Wrekin at the moment with a population of around 160k.
We're gonna be massive.
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #89
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Yikes and woah!! Where are all these people gonna come from?
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #90
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Well we are already the second fastest growing town in the country, I guess it'll just accelerate.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:34 PM   #91
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Here is an interesting story from the Sloppy Star, it might be worth a visit.

Event shows how to grow drug
A national exhibition with stalls selling marijuana seeds and explaining how to grow the drug is hoping to bring more than 10,000 people to Shropshire.

The UK Hemp and Hydroponics Expo will be held at Telford International Centre in May.

Weed World, a marijuana culture magazine which runs the event, does not advocate growing the drug but says it is safer done by private users than professional Vietnamese gangs who dominate the market.

Among the exhibitors will be Patricia Tabram, aka Granny Pat, a 68-year-old Northumberland woman who campaigns for the drug to be legalised for medicinal use.

The event has been held for several years in Wembley and last time attracted 12,000 visitors but moved because of building work.Philip Kilv, Weed World’s director, said he hoped the event may run in the Midlands permanently after its first outing from May 5 to 7.

He said it attracted exhibitors from across the world.

It is divided into two exhibitions, which run simultaneously.

The Hydroponics Expo is about the practice of growing plants quickly using only water and no soil. The Hemp Expo features products from T-shirts to smoothies made of the crop, as well as marijuana seeds, advice on growing and smoking equipment.

Mr Kilv said the event would attract many conventional gardeners who use hydroponics as well as those interested in marijuana.

However, he defended those who grow it privately as opposed to importing the drug, which is more likely to be dangerously treated, or buying it from farms which are run by criminal gangs.

He said: “The major problem in the UK is imported weed that has been coated with silica and can make people ill. We don’t advocate growing at all but if people are going to grow we would much rather individuals do it for themselves.”

Joanne Parton, from the international centre, said: “We are fully aware the public may have some concerns as to the exact nature of this event, but we are working extremely closely with the show organisers to ensure a safe, and trouble-free show.”
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM   #92
Biosonic
Second Citizen

Likes (Received): 64

There's a £7.3m visitor centre in for planning for Blists Hill
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #93
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

In the business supplement in the Birmingham Post, today, there was something about Telford but I was too much in a rush to read it. The headline was something like 'Transformation of Telford' and there was two pictures; a random man and a render or photo of a low rise building next to what looked like a canal or river.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM   #94
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

I wish I could get the Post,

Some more news,

July date on flats
By Suzi Cope

The tallest block of flats in Telford is still standing idle six years after it was closed down and almost two years since it was announced as being sold to developers.

The 12-storey Manor Heights block in Hadley remains boarded up and owners, the Wrekin Housing Trust, now say it will be the summer before a developer is even appointed.

Manor Heights, which was plagued by social problems and renowned as a centre for crime, was closed down after a huge police raid in 2001, which smashed the area’s biggest drugs ring.

Since then the eyesore tower block has lain derelict, despite increasing furore over the need for affordable housing in the borough.

Many residents resent the loss of green space which is being swallowed up in the wake of housing developments in areas such as Leegomery and Apley, while an existing tower block as big as Manor Heights continues to stand idle only a mile away.

Wrekin MP Mark Pritchard said: “This block should be a prime candidate for regeneration and affordable housing. People are rightly asking why wards to the north west of Telford are missing out to the millions of pounds is being poured into south Telford. There needs to be equity.”

Manor Heights is owned by the Wrekin Housing Trust which, in 2005, announced its intention to sell the block to developers after it was unable to meet the high costs of revitalising the Hadley site itself.

However, almost two years later the future of Manor Heights has still to be revealed and a deal with developers has apparently yet to be sealed up.

George Rushgrove, director of property at the Wrekin Housing Trust said a developer was likely to be appointed by July.

He added: “The Wrekin Housing Trust has been working closely with Hadley and Leegomery Parish Council and Telford & Wrekin Council to select an appropriate developer for the site at Manor Heights in Hadley.

“Although there has been speculation about the flats’ future during the period the block has been empty, the Trust has been working closely with tenderers to identify the most appropriate developer. It is anticipated that the successful developer will be announced in July this year.”

“We look forward to a solution that will provide high quality accommodation to suit the area. As soon as a decision is made, we will let local residents and the Press know,” he added.

Pat Smart, chairman of Hadley & Leegomery Parish Council said: “I am disappointed that it is taking so long to find a suitable buyer for Manor Heights.

“It would be nice to see it up and running with people living in it again, although the people of Hadley will want assurances that it will not go back to how it used to be,” she added.

After being plagued with drug and crime problems, many residents originally wanted to see Manor Heights demolished.

But this was ruled out because of what was described as limited redevelopment potential for the site.

However, a condition has been put on the sale of the building to ensure any future use of the tower block must “add value to the area.”

Councillor Smart added: “It would be unacceptable for Manor Heights to return to its former state.”
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM   #95
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

They must keep it and make it a desirable place to live! I didn't even know this one was boarded up. But I'm pleased they're not just saying "demolish it, full stop" - it looks as though some people think it does have a future.

Telfordboy, is this the one that's identical to Reynolds House? Could you also tell me where in Hadley I'd find it?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM   #96
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

It is the one that I were talking about but it seems that they aren't as similar as I thought, the window arrangement is different and Manor Heights is taller apparently. Here is a link to multimap hopefully it'll still be circled just zoom in and out to your hearts content. If you look at the aerial photography you can see it.
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...1&scale=200000
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #97
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Ahh thank you! I have a feeling I'll be there seeing it for myself next week.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM   #98
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Although I've now proved that that was a lie...
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:35 PM   #99
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Lol, don't worry about it mate, I won't hold it against you.

Take a look at this from Transforming Telford. It's one of those overly optimistic publications that is used to advertise a place but there is some stuff in it that I didn't know including an ice arena. Oh and that bit that says within the next 20 years Telford will be bigger than Newcastle and Oxford.

http://www.transformingtelford.co.uk...%20Telford.pdf
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #100
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Some great pictures in that.

They need to focus on improving Telford, not necessarily making it bigger. Make it a nicer place for the current residents to live. Telford is in a lovely setting but some of the housing isn't so nice to look at. Build some more lickle skyscrapers and maybe fill in some of the gaps but I think the area is just right.

I wish places like Stoke would try and improve that have been stuck in rut long before Telford was born.

Tags
city centre