daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old April 20th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #121
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy View Post
I think that bit was quarried to build the M54 and hasn't recovered yet
Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telfordboy
There are plans for an Opencast Coal Mine near the foot of the Wrekin at the moment as well
Oh yeah I saw that on Midlands Today recently. Some locals aren't too happy.

From the back of our house we can almost see the Ironbridge power station. You can see it from parts of the area where I live - not the cooling towers but the top of the tall chimney poking over a hill and the steam from the cooling towers!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #122
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 75

Thats all I can see of it from my house too. I think the fact that its in a valley (no matter that the valley isn't appropriate for a power station) definately minimised its impact on surrounding areas.

The steam cloud looks best on a cold clear winter day with a bright blue sky, the cloud of steam goes for miles.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #123
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 32

Loving the pictures there! The views are fantastic and the day looked slightly dull so I would love to see what it's like on a clear day! Thanks telfordboy
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:35 PM   #124
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Woo hoo,

New plan for ‘KGB’ flats backed

Developers have been granted planning permission to build a £20 million Telford apartment block which had been likened to a “KGB headquarters” when the proposal was first unveiled last summer.

Architects went back to the drawing board to lessen the impact of the scheme for a site next to the M54 at Shifnal Road, Priorslee, after the original plans were thrown out last month.

Members of Telford & Wrekin Council’s plans board granted approval at a meeting yesterday - provided developers agree to pay more than £200,000 towards educational, recreation and road improvements, and provide 22-shared ownership homes.

I knew that this would be backed this time and the only difference to the rejected version is wood instead of metal an sandstone colour instead of white and that could have been conditioned anyway.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #125
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Some more info including pictures of that here http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/2007...2%a320m-flats/ One of the comments is mine
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #126
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Are you "Dave" or "Harold St. John Peasbody"??

I like the swishy look of the building, it looks like an 'S' for a certain county.
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #127
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Oh, I'm still awaiting moderation. It does look pretty cool though and is a more interesting shape than I thought it was.
Btw you can use the name of the county as long as you replace the Shrop with Slop, kay.
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #128
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 5154

Quote:
Woo hoo,

New plan for ‘KGB’ flats backed

Developers have been granted planning permission to build a £20 million Telford apartment block which had been likened to a “KGB headquarters” when the proposal was first unveiled last summer.
Actually, if Telford had some buildings like the Lubyanka in Moscow, it might be a more interesting town to look at compared to the endless sprawling wimpey homes, dull 1980s offices and dirty big shopping mall instead of a town centre.

Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #129
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Ah thanks an example of what Shrop-shites think of Telford, thats what I've been talking about Butters.
Thats a good building though and I agree about the town centre too but some of the 1980s offices are not bad, like the plaza and Darby House.
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #130
Jonesy55
Mooderator

No need to be cheeky, it's hardly a secret that Telford is no Venice in the beauty stakes.

The Plaza is ok but i'm not a fan of new towns in general, too many roundabouts, not pedestrian friendly at all, neighbourhoods with little character etc. You can't beat Ironbridge though.

The 'KGB' building and others like it are just the type of thing Telford needs to up the density so it can function like a 'normal' town imo.
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #131
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

I'm only messing, I completly agree with everything you just said, I like Wellington as well though but I'm all in favour of incresing the density and so is the council which is why we are to have about 30,000 new houses built in the next 20 years
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #132
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Yes, me too. I can't see this being popular in Telford though as many of the residents moved there specifically to get away from dense cities.
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #133
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Yeah well they've gotta go somewhere and if not in Telford where there is plenty of space and the infrastructure already they will be built on greenfield land across the rest of Shropshire and I doubt that'll be popular either
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #134
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

My comments are up now I sound pretty smart but a bit of a twat http://www.shropshirestar.co.uk/2007...2%a320m-flats/
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #135
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Ah thanks an example of what Shrop-shites think of Telford, thats what I've been talking about Butters.
Mmmm. Telford may be a bit dodgy at times (like every other town) but it's perhaps the best-placed town in Shropshire being surrounded by countryside yet with all its own amenities and great access to the whole of the country.

Shrewsbury has got its own bad planning - that irritating bypass and big islands that takes forever to go round without actually getting very far. And it's also got a name that no one can decide which way to pronounce it.

Also, I remember seeing someone spit on the floor by the Red Lion Hotel or whatever it's called - how low quality for the self proclaimed "town of flowers"!

Old April 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #136
Jonesy55
Mooderator

You tell 'em Grey

It always amazes me how anti-development some people can be. A new development just down the road from me is about to start, building 160 new apartments and houses plus recreational space, cycle paths into Shrewsbury town centre and other associated improvements yet people complained in their dozens about it.

I would understand if the site was pristine countryside or involved knocking down some important old buildings but it's just a huge patch of derelict railway land less than half a mile from the centre of town that is currently strewn with building rubble and litter, no good to anyone.
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #137
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
Also, I remember seeing someone spit on the floor by the Red Lion Hotel or whatever it's called - how low quality for the self proclaimed "town of flowers"!

I saw that too, it was a day-tripper from Telford
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #138
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Cheers,
That does sound like a Telfordian but remember most of them are descended form Brummies/Black Country folk and Scousers so I'll blame them.
Whereabouts is this development sounds pretty good, I work in Shrewsbury so I quite like learning about whats going on there.
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #139
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Cheers,
That does sound like a Telfordian but remember most of them are descended form Brummies/Black Country folk and Scousers so I'll blame them.
Whereabouts is this development sounds pretty good, I work in Shrewsbury so I quite like learning about whats going on there.
The land between the railway lines going to Manchester and Chester just to the north of the town centre. It's around 2 hectares I think and you can access it from the Ellesmere road by the old rail social club or from Castle Foregate behind Kwikfit (opposite Fitness First)

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cg...multimap.y=135

http://www.shrewsbury.gov.uk/plannin...ppNo=06/0636/F
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #140
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Oh I know that site, I worked on it at work, there are big plans for that northern corridor out of Shrewsbury.

Tags
city centre