daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:28 PM   #1081
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef17 View Post
Told my mate today that I have a uni project about tower blocks in Nottingham ( I actually don't but I told him this otherwise he'll probs take the piss out of me).
I should hopefully have some pics of all of the blocks in Nottingham soon. Depending on when I can get the car for the whole day.
Sounds great!

It is essential for us tower blockers to lie from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by up the tigers View Post
This is one of two blocks near Hull city centre (the other one just out the picture to the left) that, after construction in 1973, were said to be the last municipal residential high-rise tower blocks in the country. the 3 in the background were approved in 1959 and completed in 1964. Hull City Council said at the time, “we built them because people liked them”.
Interesting! Thanks for that. The block furthest away on that photo is the one that's been refurbished in white and other colours isn't it?
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #1082
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schemie View Post

Loudon House

Nelson House
Is this where they filmed the oustide shots of Rosie's estate in the new Dr Who?
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #1083
up the tigers

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post

Interesting! Thanks for that. The block furthest away on that photo is the one that's been refurbished in white and other colours isn't it?
thats right and now the other two ones built in 1964 are being refurbished as well. I doubt if the blocks from 1973 will be though. Its good to see that demolition isnt even being considered. I think almost all of Hull's tower blocks are safe for at least another decade due to recent refurbishments-thats apart from 4 in the north of the city
up the tigers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #1084
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Good. Some of the refurbishments aren't liked by all of us but I'd prefer that rather than them being demolished.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1085
schemie

Likes (Received): 1

“we built them because people liked them”

Nothing wrong with that. People did like high rises back then. I have 3 now elderly relatives that used to live in high rises (one even lived in Red Road) and they loved their flats. Outdated, stigmatised and run down as they are now it can be hard to believe that but the Councils didnt put them up to punish the working classes yknow. I thinki've said this before but I like the way these Hull blocks look. Nothing special on their own but all lined up like that... It looks pretty cool next to the main road. Although I see impending doom on the horizon in the shape of a cheap and nasty refurb. Check the state of that one at the end.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #1086
schemie

that was a spontaneous post to tiger's post on the last page btw. let me catch up...
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1087
schemie

"It is essential for us tower blockers to lie from time to time."

very true!

"Is this where they filmed the oustide shots of Rosie's estate in the new Dr Who"

Don't know for certain but I could have sworn it was set in London because I remember there were other blocks on the skyline in the rooftop scene and they looked too tall to be Cardiff but I could be wrong.

"Some of the refurbishments aren't liked by all of us but I'd prefer that rather than them being demolished."

true true... But some big brutal tower blocks look so ridculous dressed up in all those fancy colours its like seeing Mr T in a clown suit.
Old May 7th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #1088
up the tigers

Quote:
“we built them because people liked them”

Nothing wrong with that. People did like high rises back then. I have 3 now elderly relatives that used to live in high rises (one even lived in Red Road) and they loved their flats. Outdated, stigmatised and run down as they are now it can be hard to believe that but the Councils didnt put them up to punish the working classes yknow. I thinki've said this before but I like the way these Hull blocks look. Nothing special on their own but all lined up like that... It looks pretty cool next to the main road. Although I see impending doom on the horizon in the shape of a cheap and nasty refurb. Check the state of that one at the end.
I think we should like them as they are but i can understand why councils would want to brighten up the image of council estates. Ive been in the one at the end and never thought it needed recladding. The inside was a bit drab and depressing but i never heard a complaint from my grandma who lived there. However recently i understand there were problems with the metal windows letting in a draft and needed replacing.

As for the recladding it was probably done for insulation reasons but i can imagine how disgusting a row of 3 blocks will look if they are the same as the first one.

I can remember not so long ago the colour scheme on the 3 blocks was to have the central balconies in one colour which would be light at the bottom and gradually get darker as you went up.
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #1089
schemie

[QUOTE]I can remember not so long ago the colour scheme on the 3 blocks was to have the central balconies in one colour which would be light at the bottom and gradually get darker as you went up.[/QUOTE}

That would be quite nice. I remember one of the French lads posted a pic of a block with something like that going on and it worked quite nicely but they obviously ran out of money and inspiration... I mean, the reclad makes it look like a giant birthday cake or something. So much for big scary tower block... Poor things been neutered... Since you seem to know your stuff about Hull: when are your big one's coming down? Anytime soon or are their demolitions just unofficial?
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #1090
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
But some big brutal tower blocks look so ridculous dressed up in all those fancy colours its like seeing Mr T in a clown suit.
What a great though...!
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1091
up the tigers

These probably are the big ones you are talking about. There used to be four more but they were demolished about 3 years ago.

Currently there is no fixed date but if any are to be demolished in the city in the near future then these will will be the ones. At the moment all the options are being considered including different levels of refurbishment and doing nothing is not an option. Recently the blocks were painted, but only on two sides so at the moment it looks like there wont be any demolition until another year or two. But with household appliances on one occasion and even people falling from the flats plus the estates bad reputation these are the most unpopular blocks in the city.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #1092
up the tigers

I've shown most of Hull's tower blocks before on page 21 or 22 but heres some pics i didnt show of the Orchard Park estate.

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1093
schemie

They look boring and they dont fit in to their surroundings and they are crap places to live so if they are dull-looking, incongruous crap places to live, for once I say tear them down!

Last edited by schemie; May 7th, 2007 at 10:37 PM.
schemie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1094
schemie

i await the backlash in the morning...
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1095
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

You don't have to wait until the morning to get a backlash!

I think those blocks are great, I love the balconies on them and they're quite tall and random with nice pastel colours.

I for one enjoyed that little selection.

Schemie, we all know that Glasgowshire has some of the best tower blocks, give some of the other cities a chance.
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1096
up the tigers

I think a little paint has transformed them and has added a little individuality to each one. You dont have to go way over the top to make a block look nice.

They look even nicer on a sunny day.
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1097
Borras_Hwfa
Gog Almighty

Great pics UTT, they look good. Obviously I'd prefer them grey but at least they haven't got stupid patterns on! That light finish WILL look dirty very quickly indeed though.
Borras_Hwfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1098
schemie

"Schemie, we all know that Glasgowshire has some of the best tower blocks, give some of the other cities a chance."

i concede, the blocks are alright. i like the balconies and how the roof seems to show some flats higher than others (best way i can describe it. see the last pic). But I was getting the feeling this thread needed an over the top, over opinionated reply to revive discussion a wee bit. They really don't look in rude health though. That paint ain't fooling anyone. The place looks barely inhabited. Loads of curtainless windows and closed curtains in the daytime
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #1099
Borras_Hwfa
Gog Almighty

Quote:
The place looks barely inhabited. Loads of curtainless windows and closed curtains in the daytime
Well if I knew some painters and decorators were going to be outside my window all day whilst I was out, I'd close my curtains. Likewise if I was lying on the setee smacked out of my eyeballs!
Borras_Hwfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:51 PM   #1100
up the tigers

Just found a bit of info on them

Cabinet of the 29th of November commissioned a full feasibility study to look at the structural state of the blocks and to determine whether cladding is required to bring the blocks up to the DHS and to give the blocks a 30 year life.

The full cost of DHS improvements plus the cladding to all 7 blocks at Orchard Park is £30m. The additional cost of cladding the blocks is £8.6m.

Evidence provided in the full Orchard Park High Rise report suggests that lettability of the current properties has increased following the demolition of 4 neighbouring blocks between 200x and . However turnover of properties is still above average and the void level currently stands at around 13%.

Tags
commieblocks, tower blocks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: