daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #401
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Relax guys. I wasn't saying that the US & UK don't share something special. The combination of UK as a former colonial power and the US being the US has resulted in English being THE universal language. And as such London and New York are (imo) the only true "world cities".

And may I add that I hope it stays that way in my lifetime because I don't feel like learning chinese :-)

I was just reacting to the (very british) idea that there are two kinds of peoples in Europe: The brits and the europeans... If it was that simple there wouldn't be more than 50 independent countries and a multitude of regions feeling apart from the countries that they actually belong to.

Thumbs up to London being the only city in the EU (which undortunately wouldn't survive a referendum in any memer state) building anyting that actually requires a lift.... (an elevator. Pardon me).
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #402
LASF
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Good response sir.
LASF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #403
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

The uk is a continent... One that extends slightly onto a neighboring continent known as Ireland! Lol. But seriously, we Americans sure do hope that the European Union lasts because we all know what happens when European nationalism runs wild... Not that anyone is suggesting you all start behaving like Sweden or anything haha. Stay classy Europe. Stay classy U.K.
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #404
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by KøbenhavnK View Post
Different from the Europeans.... from the russians, the turks, the germans, catalans, basques, the millions whos parents and grandparents came from the former colonies...

It's fairly naive to think that the brits stand out more than so many others do. And apart from a few thousand eurocrats in Bruxelles nobody define themselves as European ahead of their nationality.

I was in the UK once (before the tunnel) when there was a storm so the ferries couldn't sail. The anchor on the tele announced:- The continent is cut off.

I guess you have to live on an island to think like that.

As far as your special relationship with th US is concerned it's a very oneway thing. Or at least a thing of the past because the US focuses it's attention elsewhere.

There are fewer people living on your islands than there are in countries such as Thailand and Vietnam...

So hands up for the special relationship. I doubt many americans are aware that it exists though. Just look at an average world map i the US. It isn'r centered around Europe- That continent is a very little thing at the very edge.

I think Moscow has the best skyline in Europe but London definately comes second...But it does has the coolest building: 30 st. marys axe :-)
As an American just said a few comments ago... most Americans are VERY aware of the Anglo-American relationship... we are all taught it at school from a young age.

It's by no means a one-way relationship. At all.

Yeah Thailand and Vietnam could have the largest populations on earth but it doesn't change the fact that London is the global financial centre alongside NYC.

Like I said; the British are definitely geographically European... but the vast majority of British feel that they do not have much in common with our European neighbors. It's just how it is... it's culture. No one can destroy or get rid of a culture or thinking that has persisted for years upon years.

~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #405
JimB

Likes (Received): 4801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
As an American just said a few comments ago... most Americans are VERY aware of the Anglo-American relationship... we are all taught it at school from a young age.

It's by no means a one-way relationship. At all.

Yeah Thailand and Vietnam could have the largest populations on earth but it doesn't change the fact that London is the global financial centre alongside NYC.

Like I said; the British are definitely geographically European... but the vast majority of British feel that they do not have much in common with our European neighbors. It's just how it is... it's culture. No one can destroy or get rid of a culture or thinking that has persisted for years upon years.

This is all getting very off topic so apologies to others reading this thread and hoping to see something new about Riverside South!

Sorry, Bligh, but I simply cannot agree with the highlighted part of your post. In fact, I will go further by saying that you can have no justification for making such a statement. There is no evidence to support it.

Are there Brits who would love the UK to leave the EU? Certainly.

Are there Brits who oppose further federalisation of Europe? Most definitely.

Are there Brits who are staunchly set against the UK giving up the pound and joining the Eurozone? You bet there are.

But to say that the vast majority of Brits feel that they do not have much in common with other Europeans is simply not a supportable statement.

You can't even claim that a "majority" of Brits feel thus, let alone a "vast majority". If there was a referendum on the UK staying in the EU now, opinion polls suggest that it's likely that Brits would vote something like 55-60% to 40-45% to leave. A majority, certainly. But nothing like a vast majority. More pertinently, while it wouldn't be unreasonable to presume that those voting to stay in the EU are likely to feel that they have a fair bit in common with other Europeans, it doesn't necessarily follow that all of those voting to leave the EU feel that they have little in common with other Europeans.

Furthermore, as time passes, opinion polls suggest that the UK will become increasingly pro Europe, with the younger generation (aged 16-24) voting in favour of staying within the EU. Meanwhile, the older generation (65+) votes most emphatically in favour of leaving the EU. As more young people come of voting age and more old people die, the momentum will swing in favour of a pro European identity.

As to the U.S.A, I've lived and worked there; travelled there countless times; have many friends there; and have great respect for the talented, clever and interesting people I've met there.

And I can assure you that it is every bit as much a strange and foreign land, full of wonder, as anywhere on the European mainland - regardless of our two countries' shared language, history and culture.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #406
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex-md View Post
The uk is a continent... One that extends slightly onto a neighboring continent known as Ireland! Lol. But seriously, we Americans sure do hope that the European Union lasts because we all know what happens when European nationalism runs wild... Not that anyone is suggesting you all start behaving like Sweden or anything haha. Stay classy Europe. Stay classy U.K.
If you're refering to me:
"Ø" isn't part of the swedish alphabet.

I do love a good mine-is-"better"-than-yours-argument. But after reading the previous pages I didn't think it would make much sense elabourating on my first post.

Besides I don't think that I said anything in the second post that contradicted the first one. Merely expanded on it.

Those of us who are not regular contributers on Fox News hopefully have worldviews that can't be delivered in one-liners....

unless we're regular viewers I guess.

Signing off from this topic (... you're welcome)
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #407
Trex-md
In Reason We Trust

Likes (Received): 162

Sir kobenhavhavnk; I apologize for the misconception that I was referring to you personally as a swede.. Not that if I were to have, it would have been an insult. I was pointing to the Swedish governments policies of denouncing nationalism. My so called one liners were meant to be taken lightheartedly and I do NOT watch Fox News.
In an attempt to get back to the root topic of this thread.. Are there any update pics??

JimB liked this post
Trex-md no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #408
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
This is all getting very off topic so apologies to others reading this thread and hoping to see something new about Riverside South!

Sorry, Bligh, but I simply cannot agree with the highlighted part of your post. In fact, I will go further by saying that you can have no justification for making such a statement. There is no evidence to support it.

Are there Brits who would love the UK to leave the EU? Certainly.

Are there Brits who oppose further federalisation of Europe? Most definitely.

Are there Brits who are staunchly set against the UK giving up the pound and joining the Eurozone? You bet there are.

But to say that the vast majority of Brits feel that they do not have much in common with other Europeans is simply not a supportable statement.

You can't even claim that a "majority" of Brits feel thus, let alone a "vast majority". If there was a referendum on the UK staying in the EU now, opinion polls suggest that it's likely that Brits would vote something like 55-60% to 40-45% to leave. A majority, certainly. But nothing like a vast majority. More pertinently, while it wouldn't be unreasonable to presume that those voting to stay in the EU are likely to feel that they have a fair bit in common with other Europeans, it doesn't necessarily follow that all of those voting to leave the EU feel that they have little in common with other Europeans.

Furthermore, as time passes, opinion polls suggest that the UK will become increasingly pro Europe, with the younger generation (aged 16-24) voting in favour of staying within the EU. Meanwhile, the older generation (65+) votes most emphatically in favour of leaving the EU. As more young people come of voting age and more old people die, the momentum will swing in favour of a pro European identity.

As to the U.S.A, I've lived and worked there; travelled there countless times; have many friends there; and have great respect for the talented, clever and interesting people I've met there.

And I can assure you that it is every bit as much a strange and foreign land, full of wonder, as anywhere on the European mainland - regardless of our two countries' shared language, history and culture.
This is true... but polls are polls. Until the real thing happens there is no definitive answer or conclusion. I am by no means Anti-European, and to a certain degree the EU is a great idea!

As for the age group suggestion - I am part of the 16-24 age group... I do not know many people my age who are pro-European if I'm honest with you - no matter what the poll suggests.

You're right; I cannot state something on behalf of a whole nation. Similarly a poll on some selected people representing probably less than 10% of the British population cannot conclude the future. But I know what I have seen and heard - as have many other Brits in regards to Europe and the European Union.

Only time can tell if the UK remains part of the EU.

Whatever happens; it's been good speaking about it! I love a good debate. No hard (or Anti-Euro) feelings JimB!
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #409
UK86
UK86

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex-md View Post
The difference between America and the EU is that America is a fully fledged country despite state differences, with a common culture. The EU covers a continent of different countries with different languages, cultures and traditions and that is precisely why it is so difficult to make a cross-governmental system work in Europe. Every country wants something different from another, that is why the EU has begun to experience difficulty recently and many in southern Europe despise the Franco-German alliance running the show. But when I was in America I was glad to be called English or British first

Loving this project btw.
UK86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #410
Cujas
European

Likes (Received): 1078

I laugh when I read what I read on this thread. Please, Gentlemen's, talk about skyscrapers, it's already enough...

Bligh, Groningen NL, MPEARCE14 liked this post
Cujas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #411
JoeyCocoDiaz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

start giving us more points in eurovision and maybe well talk

jonnyboy, JimB liked this post
JoeyCocoDiaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #412
Clone

Likes (Received): 35

The Brits might feel close with the US as spain feels close to South America, Portugal with Brazil and the Netherlands with South afrika. I have visited some of these countries and I must say. There is most defenitly a European culture that you wont find anyware in those new world countries. I mean have you tasted American Beer?
Clone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 04:44 PM   #413
Frankus Maximus

Likes (Received): 735

Originally posted by theBerry in the London forum,

From Costar news.

JP Morgan banks on Riverside South sale
By James Buckley - Thursday, July 31, 2014 15:35

E-mail Print JP Morgan is preparing to sell Riverside South, the US investment bank’s huge Docklands site once earmarked to become its European headquarters and one of London’s largest office schemes, CoStar News can reveal.

The American financial services giant has issued Requests for Proposals to a handful of agents, which in turn will prepare sales strategies for the site, which has planning permission for a 2m sq ft office scheme in Canary Wharf.

It is thought that JP Morgan’s main advisers in EMEA: CBRE, JLL and Cushman & Wakefield have been invited to pitch with their sales rationales this Friday before the bank selects its preferred exit route and appoints an agent to find a buyer.

Once a buyer is found, the deal will signal one of the largest development sites to be sold in London in recent years.

Two overriding sales options are likely to come to the fore: either sell the Docklands site as is, with enabling works carried out to street level and with its existing 2008 office consent in place, or work up a separate planning application for a higher value residential scheme.

Given the size of the site, which could potentially accommodate around 1,000 homes, as well as demand for residential space in Docklands, it has been estimated that with residential consent JP Morgan could sell the scheme for more than £500m.

JP Morgan bought the 999-year leasehold interest in the vast tract of land in November 2008 for £237m from Canary Wharf Group and progressed plans to build a £1.5bn office development for its own occupation. However, the global downturn and changing needs of the bank meant that there was no longer a need to occupier the entire scheme. JP Morgan is understood to have since spent tens of millions of pounds on preparing the site.

After the original proposals were cleared at council level for a Rogers Stirk Harbour & Partners-designed 240m tower, it was hoped that the scheme would be completed by 2013 before JP Morgan opted to delay its plans.

JP Morgan bought the 1m sq ft former home of failed investment bank Lehman Brothers, 25 Bank Street, E14, in 2010. It paid Canary Wharf Group £500m for the property and has since been consolidating staff from all over London, particularly the City. In November 2011, the 327,000 sq ft 10 Aldermanbury in the Square Mile was added to a 1m sq ft tranche of office space JP Morgan instructed DTZ and Cushman & Wakefield earlier that year to dispose of as the investment bank moved to shrink its occupational footprint in London.

The deal to purchase Riverside South and 25 Bank Street incorporated a clause which retained Canary Wharf Group as the development manager of the riverfront scheme, and which also gave the firm a pre-emption right on the site if JP Morgan opted to sell.

All parties declined to comment.

[email protected]
Frankus Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 02:49 PM   #414
Wazirabad
Falak sher

Likes (Received): 3

waooo great city

Wazirabad no está en línea   Reply With Quote