daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:05 AM   #21
newtochicago

Likes (Received): 0

boo!

this building should be protested as it will ruin 600 north fairbanks next door.
newtochicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:07 AM   #22
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtochicago View Post
this building should be protested as it will ruin 600 north fairbanks next door.
Is that a joke?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 05:24 AM   #23
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I really hope this project happens.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:11 AM   #24
smurf
Smurfy Smurf

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtochicago View Post
Hope you are joking.
I think 560 N. Fairbanks will do the exact opposite of what you suggest; it will not ruin it but complement 600 N. Fairbanks. Instead of having a fugly hot dog stand with a parking lot, there will be a normal urban landscape on all 4 corners of the street. In my humble personal opinion the styling of 560 & 600 go hand in hand and fit in very well.

If you are being serious, dare I say I smell a NIMBY? In the 600 N. Fairbanks thread you posted information about buying a south facing 1 BR unit on the 34th floor. If (or hopefully when) 560 N. gets built your south facing view of the river and LSE & Loop will disappear. I don't think I have to explain any further.
smurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #25
bobablob

Nice looking building. Nice addition to the neighborhood. Big improvement over the present use of the property. Hope to hell that it gets built.
bobablob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 01:26 PM   #26
Lucky Lefty

I have to disagree with you Newtochicago. I truly hope this gets built. I Believe Graves Hotel will be located in the lower floors of this building with the upper floors being condos. This is without question a great improvement over the current space. This is Streeterville we're talking about. THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY PARKING LOTS HERE. Besides, its a good looking building. I truly hope you're not a NIMBY because SOAR is very pro development, hence why Streeterville is one of the most dense central area hoods only after the loop.
Lucky Lefty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM   #27
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Anyone know if this project is still alive? Graves website at

http://www.graveshotelsresorts.com/graves-chicago.asp

still has a page for it with a picture and this caption:

Located at Ohio and Fairbanks will feature 220 Luxury guest rooms, a fine dining restaurant, a full service spa and 300 condo units. Opening is scheduled for late 2009

But we don't see anything happening and a 2009 opening doesn't seem possible.

Last edited by Chiman; September 22nd, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #28
newtochicago

no nimby

yes i am moving to a south-facing unit in 600NF, but no, i am not a nimby. i think the 600NF project is beautiful and i am concerned that this huge building will overshadow and dwarf 600NF.... that's all. just my opinion.
newtochicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #29
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I wouldn't worry too much about 600NF being overshadowed. Good architecture prevails over scale every time. If a building is worth being noticed, it will be noticed regardless of its size. We won't know whether 600NF is worth being noticed until the dust really settles and the tower fills up (IMHO).
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:53 PM   #30
Chiman

Looks like the property to the south of 600 North Fairbanks (245 East Ohio) is in play again, but Graves Hotels seems to be out.

FYI

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29898
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #31
richardsonhomebuyers

Well the hot dog place is cosing on the 12th and the building is going to be torn down. There is also one of those trucks the drills for soil testing. I talked to the owner of the hot dog place and he said he wasn't sure what they were doing with the land. He did say they offered him an 8 month lease when they were done doing the soil testing but he would have to rebuild his building and it would only be for 8 months. Doesn't make much sense.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #32
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

SCB's website refers to it as "Fairbanks Court."

Quote:
In Chicago at the corners of Ohio Street, Fairbanks Court and Grand Avenue is the proposal for Fairbanks Court, a 55-story, mixed use tower. The two dominant parts of the program are the distinctive Streeterville condominium address providing 165 luxury one, two, three and four bedroom layouts and the 219 room hotel below it. Each has a distinct entry on Ohio and Fairbanks, respectively. On the 10th floor, the fitness spa offers both hotel guests and condominium owners the shared amenities of an indoor pool, a fitness room and a sun deck. Condominium parking occupies the first 8 floors of the tower along with some retail space at street level. The tower tops out at nearly 700’ for commanding views in all directions.
http://www.scb.com/?mainpage=2&paget...l=2&seclevel=7
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #33
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

so three floors and over 90 feet cut off. Or was its spire always counted in the offical height? I thought it was supposed to top off around 750. Either way seems to be an official reduction.
Old September 18th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #34
DeaconBlue

This building isn't getting built anytime soon. They have closed the parking lot so that they can do some soil testing, but will be repaving it and reopening it soon. There was once a gas station on this sight, so the cleanup will probably be costly. This will get built eventually but not until the next cycle.
DeaconBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #35
markgpearse
Bob in 600

Is it Financed?

xx
markgpearse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #36
richardsonhomebuyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlue View Post
This building isn't getting built anytime soon. They have closed the parking lot so that they can do some soil testing, but will be repaving it and reopening it soon. There was once a gas station on this sight, so the cleanup will probably be costly. This will get built eventually but not until the next cycle.
I don't get why they would waste their time doing soil testing then just repave the lot and not do anything for a while. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #37
DeaconBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsonhomebuyers View Post
I don't get why they would waste their time doing soil testing then just repave the lot and not do anything for a while. Doesn't make sense to me.
I think they want to get a sense for how much it will cost to clean up the area so that can figure out what they are going to do. Since they aren't going to market it anytime soon, they probably figure they should do the testing now so they can plan the project more quickly once they decide to go forward. I heard this from a very reliable source (owners of Hot Diggety Dogs, the hot dog stand in the parking lot that just closed).
DeaconBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #38
Lucky Lefty

Whats going on?

Does anybody have an idea whats going on at this site. Caissons have been drilled and this is definitely more than just a re-pavement job. I doubt they're actually constructing this thing as the market can't justify such a project. My worse fear is that they're building some multilevel parking garage to maximize the use of the land until they can actually build something worthwhile. Which leaves me to ask, can they build a multilevel garage without city approval?
Lucky Lefty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #39
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

They can build the parking podium of the already-approved building and then "stall" the project half-completed until condo buyers and a hotel operator can be found.

Are we sure they're drilling caissons, though? They could be just grouting freight tunnels under the site so they don't collapse at a later date. It's been done at several building sites over the last few years, and the process looks superficially similar to caisson-drilling. Filling the tunnels raises the resale value of the site, which fits with Draper and Kramer's last known move of placing the site on the market through Jones Lang LaSalle.

My map of the tunnel system, though, doesn't show any tunnels under this site... they stopped just south of Grand Ave.

Last edited by ardecila; November 14th, 2008 at 11:05 PM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #40
richardsonhomebuyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lefty View Post
Does anybody have an idea whats going on at this site. Caissons have been drilled and this is definitely more than just a re-pavement job. I doubt they're actually constructing this thing as the market can't justify such a project. My worse fear is that they're building some multilevel parking garage to maximize the use of the land until they can actually build something worthwhile. Which leaves me to ask, can they build a multilevel garage without city approval?
I think you might be thinking of some other building. I live next to this site and can assure you there are no caissons.