daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Architecture

Architecture architecture news, historical buildings and structures, places of worship, iconic buildings and structures, and famous architects & architecture

Old December 19th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #21
Subangite

Likes (Received): 0

What exactly is wrong with the current Istana Negara, that the government sees fit to build a new Istana? Can someone please answer this?

Sponsored Links

Old December 19th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #22
tomkat
Bushido

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subangite View Post
What exactly is wrong with the current Istana Negara, that the government sees fit to build a new Istana? Can someone please answer this?
To free up the high value landbank in which the current palace is situated right now.

Couples of acres of the land could easily fund the cost of the new palace.
tomkat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #23
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkat View Post
To free up the high value landbank in which the current palace is situated right now.
Buckingham palace is sitting on prime London land, also a high value landbank, but you don't see the British government selling it so that Her Royal Majesty can move elsewhere?

During the height of the real estate boom in Japan, the landbank that the imperial palace in Tokyo is occupying was said to be worth more than the total land value of California state in the US, yet even then, the Japanese government didn't turn to developers to cash in.

Quote:
Couples of acres of the land could easily fund the cost of the new palace.
So basically its a money making scheme?
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #24
rembau1958
Sri Melenggang Naning

Likes (Received): 1

I bet if New York was in Malaysia, the central park would have been "developed" into some shopping mall or other tourist "attraction" to attract visitors, whom probably "did not' have shopping malls of their own .
rembau1958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #25
tomkat
Bushido

Quote:
Buckingham palace is sitting on prime London land, also a high value landbank, but you don't see the British government selling it so that Her Royal Majesty can move elsewhere?

During the height of the real estate boom in Japan, the landbank that the imperial palace in Tokyo is occupying was said to be worth more than the total land value of California state in the US, yet even then, the Japanese government didn't turn to developers to cash in.
Japan Imperial Palace and Istana Negara are two different cases. The Imperial Palace was a residence of Shogun Tokugawa before taken over by the imperial family, while Istana Negara in KL was originally nothing more than a rich tycoon residence.

In fact, if I am not mistaken the new palace has been in the city masterplan since 1980s. So, the government has been planning to build the new palace since 20 yrs ago.

I would love if Japanese government would move the Imperial family somewhere outside Tokyo.

Quote:
So basically its a money making scheme?
Isn't everything in free market economy boil down to money?
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #26
Subangite

Quote:
Japan Imperial Palace and Istana Negara are two different cases. The Imperial Palace was a residence of Shogun Tokugawa before taken over by the imperial family, while Istana Negara in KL was originally nothing more than a rich tycoon residence.

In fact, if I am not mistaken the new palace has been in the city masterplan since 1980s. So, the government has been planning to build the new palace since 20 yrs ago.

I would love if Japanese government would move the Imperial family somewhere outside Tokyo.
On that same token, Istana Negara is the historical home of our Agong, there was no such thing as the Malaysian King prior to independence, it was a collective of individual sultans with their own historical Istanas. The position of a Malaysian King is a relatively new one. Thus I believe in preserving this for historical continuity, regardless if the Istana was nothing more than a rich tycoon's home, this mere fact has a rich historical significance for our young country and its Supreme head.

Quote:
True, but is the government so devoid of resources that it has to sell off Istana Negara, its landbank for financial gains??? Like I asked earlier, is there a real need?
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #27
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1061

Quote:

A rich tycoon's residence...so is that why the Bok House are being treated just because it is not a palace? Our Istana Negara had been refurbished and extended many times. The Balairongseri featured exquisite carvings and finishings and the current building is far larger than the original tycoon's residence.

If a free market economy were to be all about money, I am sure that the Singaporean Govt had long time sold off their Istana too as it smacks right in the middle of their commercial district. And you know how land starve is Singapore right? Why had they not done so?

That is because a supposedly 'cultureless state' like Singapore (a lot of Malaysian love to say Singapore no culture so that is not my point-of-view actually), are able to protect so many of their historical structures be it political places or some rich tycoon residences. And their Istana which is merely the British govenor's residence are 'sacred' to the Singaporeans. You know why? That is because it is a sovereignity issue or a huge political change when the head-of-state move his/her residence.

You do not see the Queen of England move officially to Windsor Castle although that is her favourite palace and that she spend a lot of time there too. Nor the Chinese Emperors move here and there although they have virtually unlimited resources and free labour. Historically the capital of China only move when there is a major political change. And when they moved back, they usually took residence at the old palace but of course they renovate a bit first lah

Also note that our King's Palace is a Royal symbol and a national symbol. It should be treated with outmost respect as with the Royal Standard and the Royal Coat-Of-Arms as it is a sovereignity symbol.

Whatever the case, our current istana is going to be a royal museum of sorts. It is not going to be sold so those whom think that the land fetches good price can stop dreaming lah

And since it is not going for sale, why have another istana?
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #28
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by acela View Post
Why didn't the Agong move to istana melawati putrajaya?Same as why the queen of england didn't move out to windsor castle from buckingham.It has to do with the ceremonial at the parliament that's why.The duta area is near the parliment building as with the old istana negara.same as to buckingham palace is near to the westminster area or british parliament.Distance is the key.The MP's can wait for the Agong/Queen.

Yea.....but comparing the distance between Istana Melawati and Windsor Castle is unfair cause Windsor Castle is so much further away. Putrajaya to Parliament with the aid of the super-duper motorcade would just take about lets say 15 mins max right?

And you are also right....the rakyat always wait for Their Majesties. And since their role is largly ceremonial, there is no reason for them to be late

Perhaps it is the cost of rising petrol lah....their Rolls-Royce Parkward Silver Seraph, Bentley Continental Flying Spur and Maybach 62 semua makan minyak I guess
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #29
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabbyboy View Post
There must be an official residence in KL for visiting heads of state, etc. Where they actually stay is irrelevant. The Istana is usually a ceremonial building, which also contains apartments for the royal family. It is possible as an alternative to move the actual place that they live in to another location and just use the Istana for ceremonial purposes, freeing up room, and removing the need to build a whole new Istana. I think it's silly to say that the Istana's plans are secret, because it is a public and heritage building...there is no security risk involved...in fact, I'm surprised the Istana is not open for Open House at certain times of the year...(or is it?)

See info and pictures here: http://www.malaysianmonarchy.org.my/...bm/rk7/rk7.php

Yes you are right. The Istana are opened twice a year for Open House

The current Istana have rooms for ceremonial purposes and also for residence. However most of (if not all) the DYMM Yang Dipertuan Agong do not stay at the Istana. They usually stay at their Istana Hinggap which is like their KL Palaces. Our immediate past Agong for instance reside at Istana Perlis along Jalan Tun Razak. Now it is 'deserted' and would only be used whenever the head-of-state comes down for a visit.
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:25 AM   #30
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post
And since it is not going for sale, why have another istana?
Exactly!! Why have another Istana? Especially when the current one has been apart of Malaysian history, it has been the official residence of our Agong. I don't understand why being a former rich tycoons home should play any role in the need for a new Istana, since the current Istana is not even being sold, merely the land around it. The current Istana has rich historical significance, the question arises with need, is there a real need for another NEW 400 million national Palace??

Anyways, with all this talk, the government is STILL going to go ahead with its 400 million grandeur plans for a new Istana, what can the rakyat do about it? Nothing, the government seems to know best.
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:10 AM   #31
Yee Haa

IMO it is wasteful of Rakyat money..Rakyat should deserve it..It should be channelled to upgrade the welfare of the rakyat...Look like government is very keen on big project only!. It seen when a big project is on going.. coincidently somebody become instant millionaire..
Yee Haa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:54 AM   #32
pedang
One Malaysia

Likes (Received): 6

yup.. why not they use the money to upgrade/revamp the whole bus stop in KL.
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #33
Hailer

Istana melawati putrajaya is not for Agong. Itís for Sultan of Selangor. The present Istana Negara has been visited by many tourists, but the location is not really strategic. Thatís why they building a new one.

The new Istana is not a waste of money, but it generates money. It will be something like Buckingham Palace in London. The changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace is very well known, and many shops nearby selling gift, souvenir & arts products. Buckingham Palace London is also kind of product brand.

New Istana Negara will be something similar to that with itís own version of the changing the guard at istana.
Hailer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #34
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailer View Post
Istana melawati putrajaya is not for Agong. Itís for Sultan of Selangor. The present Istana Negara has been visited by many tourists, but the location is not really strategic. Thatís why they building a new one.

The new Istana is not a waste of money, but it generates money. It will be something like Buckingham Palace in London. The changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace is very well known, and many shops nearby selling gift, souvenir & arts products. Buckingham Palace London is also kind of product brand.

New Istana Negara will be something similar to that with itís own version of the changing the guard at istana.

Nope, you are mistaken. Istana Melawati is for the yang di pertuan Agong, the palace for Selangor royalty in Putrajaya is called Istana Darul Ehsan, it is relatively small compared to Istana Melawati, I've seen pictures of it on the Putrajaya thread, it's the one with the Selangor flag hoisted. Anyways the Melawati palace is definately for the Agong http://www.i-putra.com.my/sites/Site.cfm?id=29 . I know of this first hand.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #35
Subangite

Here is a picture of Istana Darul Ehsan in Putrajaya, one of the official residences of the Sultan of Selangor.

Old January 25th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #36
Hailer

Subangite, sorry for the my wrong facts but the idea of istana is same.

Last edited by Hailer; January 26th, 2007 at 01:38 AM.
Hailer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #37
awangmamat

The Agong needs a new palace. The current Istana Negara is no longer adequate. Official functions have grown too large for it to accommodate. But I agree just make the Istana Melewati the new national palace.

MPs can and should be made to wait for the Agong. They need reminding that no matter how big they get there is still someone (powerless as he is) that they need to bow to.

Anyway, if they can't stand the wait just move the Parliament to the PICC. Then everyone can look up or down Pennsylvania Avenue and see the White House and Congress in one go, the Supreme Court, the Mall (I mean lake) ... oops, wrong city.
awangmamat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #38
Subangite

Quote:
Originally Posted by awangmamat View Post
The Agong needs a new palace. The current Istana Negara is no longer adequate. Official functions have grown too large for it to accommodate. But I agree just make the Istana Melewati the new national palace.
The Agong is the figurehead of this country, he doesn't run the country. Personally, no new Istanas need to be built, for a person who mainly has a ceremonial position, the Agong has too many Palaces already!! If the current Istana is too small for his majesty and his needs, Istana melawati is large enough, can and does accommodate royal functions. Does his majesty know that the rakyat is feeling the pinch of price hikes? Does he even care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awangmamat View Post
MPs can and should be made to wait for the Agong. They need reminding that no matter how big they get there is still someone (powerless as he is) that they need to bow to.

Anyway, if they can't stand the wait just move the Parliament to the PICC. Then everyone can look up or down Pennsylvania Avenue and see the White House and Congress in one go, the Supreme Court, the Mall (I mean lake) ... oops, wrong city.
That is a good way of using PICC!! I think its underutilized now right?

Last edited by Subangite; February 8th, 2007 at 09:38 AM.
Subangite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #39
tomkat
Bushido

Quote:

That is a good way of using PICC!! I think its underutilized now right?
How about make the Istana Melawati as the new Parliament instead. It has a wonderful architecture. It could double up as the Head of State residential palace during Parliament proceeding. Let Agong spend most of his time in KL.
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #40
Subangite

Quote:
How about make the Istana Melawati as the new Parliament instead. It has a wonderful architecture. It could double up as the Head of State residential palace during Parliament proceeding. Let Agong spend most of his time in KL.
I guess you would have to modify Melawati completely. Whilst PICC already has the design and shape of a parliament. The main hall, where they had the OIC meetings can serve as the new dewan rakyat. Just a thought.