daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Architecture

Architecture architecture news, historical buildings and structures, places of worship, iconic buildings and structures, and famous architects & architecture

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #121
nazrey

Likes (Received): 2149

I saw real Istana Melawati's interior in Thai TV last year during 50th Golden Years Celebrate which some Thai royal also invited!
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #122
James Foong

Likes (Received): 2

April 2009:

jln duta:

jln hartamas:
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #123
Joe_centennial
Malaysiaku Tercinta

Likes (Received): 3

Honestly, i never liked the project.

1. It lacks history, and the building is UGLY. UGLY, UGLY, UGLY!!!!!!!!!! phewh got that one out

2. The building DOES NOT symbolise anything MALAY at all, knowing our King is chosen from traditional Malay Rulers. It's too syncretic (since when in the malay architecture is there an onion dome??) Adding elements from our other races would be a better idea knowing malaysia is a multi-racial country.

3. The current Istana Negara is already in such a strategic location, being near to the city and a touristic spot in the city, all they have to do is refurbish, renovate/expand and maintain the historical building.

4. Being along Jalan Duta, near the LHDN and other gov buildings, the palace will loose it's charm and i can bet you people will only look at it as another government building(tell me how many praises did the new mahkamah complex recieved?)

5. I heard they're gonna transform the current istana into a royal museum. heck, they couldn't even stock Muzium Negara with any interesting exhibits and they dream to change another big building into a museum? Compare our muzium negara with singapore museum. A stark, and embarrasing difference.

Please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm just oh so dissapointed with this project. Our current palace is good enough.
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #124
LeeighIam

Likes (Received): 80

I quite agree with you Joe!
LeeighIam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #125
The Usual Suspect

Likes (Received): 1

Some people needed to make extra pocket money lah
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #126
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_centennial View Post
3. The current Istana Negara is already in such a strategic location, being near to the city and a touristic spot in the city, all they have to do is refurbish, renovate/expand and maintain the historical building.

5. I heard they're gonna transform the current istana into a royal museum. heck, they couldn't even stock Muzium Negara with any interesting exhibits and they dream to change another big building into a museum? Compare our muzium negara with singapore museum. A stark, and embarrasing difference.
have you been to the museum negara lately? better go there before you cakap banyak macam orang bodoh!

the museum negara have been refurbished to be on par with other museum ( say hong kong since i've been to their museum). very presentable and high tech whatsoever.

and what's wrong if we goin to have another museum? Royal Museum showcasing the history of malay sultanate. salah ke? even better to be converted as museum so that rakyat can go and see the interior of the Istana Negara instead of just taking photos outside the gate.

damn, now who is the 'embarrassing' one?
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #127
yarr75
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

TO Joe_centennial

just to add..one more thing Mr. Smart Joe ..The Terengganu Museum is the largest museum in South East Asia...as for our National Musuem is one of the finest in ASIA..better explore than only you talk about it ..after the renovation is looked even better than before..shame on you...
yarr75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #128
James Foong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_centennial View Post
since when in the malay architecture is there an onion dome?
to chinese, a dome should never look like an upside down rice bowl with a stick in the middle. it symbols death.

as in senireka designed domes, there is a stick on top of all domes. some architects aware and they avoid the stick. however, the shape of the dome here is well proportioned as to not resemble the bowl. but still it depends from the final product of the factory pre-assembled domes. hope they do notice.
Old April 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM   #129
Joe_centennial
Malaysiaku Tercinta

Ala korang nih, i'm just pointing out my opinion je, please don't call me names or whatsoever because even when i disagree with any of your opinions and criticisms, i'll never resort to that

And yes, our muzium negara did upgraded it's facilities and such, and yes i've been there last week. maybe because of my frequent traveling, i compared it to the british museum, singapore and such. Maybe i'm just aiming too high, but it never is a wrong thing.

And yes i still stand to my stance that our current palace should be retained. Kalau korang nak cakap pasal tourist duduk kat luar, explain buckingham palace. Or if you want them to come in, maybe make the new palace construction as the new museum. Buat la macam Versailles of suffin where people can come in. Kalau tak, our current palace grounds could be expanded and fit in a museum, while renovating the palace to suit it's grander purposes.

just my 2 sen worth. Tak mau gaduh2.
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #130
James Foong

Istana entrance site - fronting India high comm.

Green lung remains as it now - completely overshadow the entire istana from roadview. Question is ll this last?

some trees ll make way for new flyover directly from istana entrance to jln duta - kl bound.
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #131
Joe_centennial
Malaysiaku Tercinta

save the trees! ok at least the remainder ones
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #132
OshHisham
BANNED

there's a vast area of forest reserves around; Hutan Kita-Kiara. check for it.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #133
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshHisham View Post
have you been to the museum negara lately? better go there before you cakap banyak macam orang bodoh!

the museum negara have been refurbished to be on par with other museum ( say hong kong since i've been to their museum). very presentable and high tech whatsoever.

and what's wrong if we goin to have another museum? Royal Museum showcasing the history of malay sultanate. salah ke? even better to be converted as museum so that rakyat can go and see the interior of the Istana Negara instead of just taking photos outside the gate.

damn, now who is the 'embarrassing' one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarr75 View Post
TO Joe_centennial

just to add..one more thing Mr. Smart Joe ..The Terengganu Museum is the largest museum in South East Asia...as for our National Musuem is one of the finest in ASIA..better explore than only you talk about it ..after the renovation is looked even better than before..shame on you...

Been to Muzium Negara lately and plueeeeeze lah........it can't even be compared to any smaller museums in certain countries. So yea......to compare our recently-refurbished Muzium Negara to the also recently-refurbished Singapore National Museum is indeed an apple to apple comparison and I must say that ours is simply lacking in many aspects.

Osh > Really had enough of your nonsense in this forum. If you disagree with other forumers at least reply with facts and courtesy. You seems to tembak at everyone and there are numerous complains bout you already. I am giving you one last chance before taking any action that you would regret. Or you could gracefully retire from the forum if you tahu malu.

yarr75 > Please try not to call people names and be another newbie with attitude. Largest means nothing. We are talking about quality and not quantity.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #134
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Foong View Post
to chinese, a dome should never look like an upside down rice bowl with a stick in the middle. it symbols death.

as in senireka designed domes, there is a stick on top of all domes. some architects aware and they avoid the stick. however, the shape of the dome here is well proportioned as to not resemble the bowl. but still it depends from the final product of the factory pre-assembled domes. hope they do notice.
Yea.......anyway I love Istana Melawati for its Malay architecture and I strongly believe that the Istana Negara should reflect that. I know that dome portray a sense of grandeur and awe to its beholder but with traditional architecture, it could produce similar result if applied correctly. And what's with all the European/classical-like details and interior? This is a sad reflection of our culture and we have a rich history to show. Even my house looks more 'local' or should I say more 'nusantara' than many of the Royal istanas.
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #135
nazrey

Likes (Received): 2149

by ronsjazz

image hosted on flickr
nazrey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM   #136
James Foong

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong View Post
Yea.......anyway I love Istana Melawati for its Malay architecture and I strongly believe that the Istana Negara should reflect that. I know that dome portray a sense of grandeur and awe to its beholder but with traditional architecture, it could produce similar result if applied correctly. And what's with all the European/classical-like details and interior? This is a sad reflection of our culture and we have a rich history to show. Even my house looks more 'local' or should I say more 'nusantara' than many of the Royal istanas.
the palace triumphal arch for example, lacks detail from all aspects. look no further around asia below here, some countries reinvent triumphal arch with their symbolic features, easily define to where it belongs to. the istana arch we see here is basically a plain roman inspired triumphal arch with dull domes and some sort of machine generated monogram details engraved on it.. cheap idea and hold no architecture values.

istana version

chinese triumphal arch

laos

pyongyang

india
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #137
dengilo

Likes (Received): 885

Yeap u hit that right on the dumb ass guy who design it!!!!!Just another cheap skate design with no reflection of the true malaysian identity!!!
dengilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #138
OshHisham
BANNED

how bout this? Sultan Ismail Petra Arch @ Kota Bharu

image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM   #139
XNeo

Likes (Received): 138

istana version

look like a nice Prison entrance.

designnya menerima nasib yang sama mcm KL new court tue.

i just came back from Bali and their arts n architecture are marvelous..even the villagers house..
XNeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #140
OshHisham
BANNED

the architect share the same 'philosophy' with the architect who designed Greece Parliament