daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #21
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Diana, Princess Of Wales Memorial Bridge
FAT (Fashion, Architecture Taste)
Bankside, 1997

This pedestrian 'living' bridge was a forerunner to Foster's Millennium Bridge we have today. Concepted as part of a linear park linking the South Bank with St Pauls, the bridge would be grassed with trees and flowerbeds at random intervals. The lyrics to Elton John's Candle In The Wind, a tribute re-recorded for Diana's funeral, would be engraved on each side of the bridge.

http://www.ngca.co.uk/imagelib/FAT%2072.jpg
Very interesting and nice proposal. And I suppose I am one of the few people out there today who still likes Diana, lol. But, in retrospect of past and future generations, having all this just for a Princess that dies, seems a bit much. Especially with the Elton John lyrics along the side. Perhaps more appropriate if it were the Elizabeth II bridge any time in the future.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 14th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #22
henry

Likes (Received): 2

Yes Calatrava's building is a bit ugly at the base, but I could have lived with that if we got the spire, which would have suited Wren's London well.
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #23
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamandell (d69) View Post
Very interesting and nice proposal. And I suppose I am one of the few people out there today who still likes Diana, lol. But, in retrospect of past and future generations, having all this just for a Princess that dies, seems a bit much. Especially with the Elton John lyrics along the side. Perhaps more appropriate if it were the Elizabeth II bridge any time in the future.
I still like Diana, ALOT of people do!
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #24
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 203

A good list of proposals, some truly fantastic! What Iīd like to see is a huge plan to redevelop the north bank and /or build a nice square infront of St Paulīs Cathedral.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:02 PM   #25
Manuel

Likes (Received): 14

Very interesting thread! I didnt know about the Future systems entry for Trafalgar Square!
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM   #26
BenL

Likes (Received): 0

Back in 1998 there was a Daniel Libeskind proposal for a 100,000 square foot extension to the V&A known as "The Spiral". OK - so everything he does looks very similar but I would love something by him in London, having visited the Jewish Museum in Berlin and the Imperial War Museum North. Real shame I think. See: http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/pro.html?ID=1

Another recent proposal that has fallen through is the Colombus Tower. This 1 million square foot 239m skyscraper for the Isle of Dogs would have added some real height and slightly more interesting architecture to the Canary Wharf cluster with a second pinnacle. As I'm sure most members know, it fell through a year or two ago due to the principle backer dying. It was due for completion next year. See: http://www.skyscrapernews.com/columbus.htm

BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #27
Newcastle Guy

I think we will still get something like that there one day
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #28
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamandell (d69) View Post
Perhaps more appropriate if it were the Elizabeth II bridge any time in the future.
She already has her own bridge down the river in Dartford.

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #29
Zedferret
DAMNED

Likes (Received): 118

I jump in with my first post...the old favorite, London Millenium Tower

It would of been spectacular but DIFA is better I think.

Zedferret no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #30
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedferrett View Post
It would of been spectacular but DIFA is better it think.
I agree, I love Difa. Even her bigger side, still so unique.

Welcome to the forums!
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #31
Wild@Heart

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
Back in 1998 there was a Daniel Libeskind proposal for a 100,000 square foot extension to the V&A known as "The Spiral". OK - so everything he does looks very similar but I would love something by him in London
London has a Libeskind already - the Graduate Centre for London Metropolitan University on Holloway Road.

Not as big (nor public, mind) as the two you mentioned but a Libeskind nonetheless.

My addition to this thread has to be the Wilkinson Eyre proposal for Crystal Palace. When I visited WE studios at their open day earlier this year, they confirmed the project was officially dead in the water.

http://www.virtualnorwood.com/locali...arkglass.shtml

Such a shame. The current proposal is to build a quarter-size replica of the 19th Century Crystal Palace and will get my opposition at every turn. The WE project would've been fantastic and I just hope another project will come along to rival it!
Wild@Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #32
Wild@Heart

Likes (Received): 1

Great thread by the way.
Wild@Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #33
potto

Likes (Received): 1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
Back in 1998 there was a Daniel Libeskind proposal for a 100,000 square foot extension to the V&A known as "The Spiral". OK - so everything he does looks very similar but I would love something by him in London, having visited the Jewish Museum in Berlin and the Imperial War Museum North. Real shame I think. See: http://www.daniel-libeskind.com/projects/pro.html?ID=1

[CENTER]
Ah yes but more frustratingly the V&A should and could have been his first major work in this style thus it would have been the trend setter!
potto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #34
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1385

Piccadilly Circus Redevelopment
William Noel Moffett
West End, 1959

Devised by William Noel Moffett (1912-94), the sculpture of Eros would be raised on a platform in the centre of an outdoor shopping mall. A very typical scheme from the 1950s modernist era, the only recognisable piece of the existing West End is in the far distance.

(Sorry about the crap quality but it needs to be large to see the sheer horror of the proposal)

DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #35
potto

shudder looks like the plans for covent garden and oxford street! Oh thank goodness for the limitations of the purse!
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #36
potto

post war plans for the Britsh Library, at the end of a huge vista smashing through holborn end of bloomsbury reaching up to British Museum, I think this would have been worth the destruction of a rather unsure piece of London, certainly better than the location the library ended up in!

A couple of crazy central London airports proposed in the 30s/40s!

Kings X

Liverpool St

The New Corporation of London tower rising behind the Guidhall, proposed in 1944, think it works well just not sure about the views of St Pauls!

St Georges Circus, huge park in South London, possibly where Elephant and Castle is? Lots of destruction, but in hindsight we got the destruction but nothing worth while to replace it, which is what this park would have given

My biggest bugbear! Hammersmith council declined this beauty by Richard Rogers, ok it completely dominates the church and was probably viewed as fucking scary, but I defy anyone to visit Hammersmith today and not weep, after all the investment pumped in to compare what we ended up with and what we could have had!

Old November 14th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #37
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 865

Quote:
and the Hungerford bridge would be replaced with a pedestrian bridge and a couple of (i think) residential towers rising out of the Thames. Which would have been very exciting and futuristic.
Thank god it wasnt. I love Hungerford bridge for all the reasons others dont, or close their eyes to. The weighty industrial bridge, so strong, so British and so handsome..combined with the fantastic walkways.

And as for the Diana bridge, what an icon of hysteria that would have been. Crass, corny and utterly indicative of our times. A simple and elegant memorial is all that is needed....and I dont mean a channel of running water.

The blob, I would have blown up personally....and as for the proposed changes to the West end...i would have blown myself up personally.
'The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.'
- Heraclitus
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:53 PM   #38
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4255

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Piccadilly Circus Redevelopment
William Noel Moffett
West End, 1959

Christ almighty. The mind boggles.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM   #39
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 865

I would have personally hunted him down and burnt down his house....in fact I might still do
'The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.'
- Heraclitus
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #40
clarky
I am for Real

Likes (Received): 341

1000ft crystal palace

Whitehall palace

Palace of westminster
http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk/c...7478&sp=X&sp=2

Last edited by clarky; November 14th, 2006 at 11:02 PM.
clarky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: