daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #201
solongfullerton

Likes (Received): 1

Wow! This means that the city is having public scoping meetings for 3 different lines now in less than a months time!!! May be I'm getting my hopes up, but this has to mean that the MTA is getting very serious about making progress on our rail system in the near future.
solongfullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #202
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
I've been checked once, only once. Metro is considering installing fare gates.
I've seen you say this before and I'm amazed. I ride on average 1-2 times per week and I've been checked maybe a couple dozen times over the last 3 years or so. It's almost entirely on the blue line (my home line) so they must check the blue line much more than the others. But I've been checked on the gold line (Union Station and Memorial) and the red line (7th/metro, and 2 or 3 times on the train).
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #203
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

This thread should have so much more activity, many lines are under construction, under consideration, and are already being studied.

Expo Line
Eastside Extension
Purple Line
Pink Line
Foothill Extension
Crenshaw Line
LAX People Mover (as a part of the Crenshaw Line)
Downtown Connector

I just wish that the Sunset Line had more attention.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #204
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

What's the Pink Line?

Isn't the LAX people mover just part of the new structure directly west of the Tom Bradley International Terminal?

There's also the Canoga Transportation Corridor and the 2003 San Fernando Valley North/South Transit Corridor Study (http://www.metro.net/projects_programs/north_south.htm -- whatever happened to that study?)
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #205
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

The Pink Line is the Line from Hollywood/Highland to the Purple Line. It's a part of the Westside Extension.

The LAX People Mover does not exist yet. I might be built in connection with the Crenshaw Line if it goes to LAX.

I haven't heard a thing about that study for a while, I don't know what happened. Let me look at The Transit Coalition discussion board and see what they have.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #206
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Oh, I thought it was known simply as the extension of the Red Line through the Westside.

The LAX people mover is part of the new structure that's going to be built just west of the Tom Bradley International Terminal. I thought it was just part of that new structure, not part of the proposed Crenshaw Corridor. Speaking of the Crenshaw, isn't it part of the MTA's efforts to extend the Green Line to LAX?
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #207
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Well I don't think that it's the full people mover that everyone wants that connects all of the terminals, but I guess it's a start.

Nothing is set, of course, for the Westside, so nomenclature doesn't really matter at this point. But transit geeks call that one the Pink Line.

Crenshaw could be part of the effort to extend it to LAX, but I have to say that there is no alignment set AT ALL and there is a lot of debate over the path south of the Harbor Subdivision (even debate over the northern terminus). I agree that this line should go to LAX, but if you do that you lose an extension to Hawthorne. It's really all up in the air, you should write to Metro about the path that you want.
http://www.metro.net/crenshaw. Comments can be received up until November 5.

Old October 31st, 2007, 05:25 AM   #208
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Eastside Transit Corridor Phase 2 Meetings

November 8, 10, 14 & 15

You are invited

Metro invites you to an Early Scoping Meeting about the Eastside Transit Corridor Phase 2 Project. The goal of the proposed project is to improve mobility in the Corridor by connecting with the Metro Gold Line Eastside Extension (under construction) to cities further east of Los Angeles. The meeting’s purpose is to obtain public feedback on the project’s purpose and need and potential alternatives including rail and bus options, as part of an Alternatives Analysis (AA). This Analysis will study and narrow down alternatives for possible further environmental review. Light Rail Transit (LRT), currently used in the Metro Gold Line, is being considered.

We want to hear your thoughts and welcome your participation.

Meeting Agenda

Open House
  • Review the proposed study goals and objectives
  • Speak with project representatives
  • View study displays and maps
  • Submit written/verbal comments
Project Presentation

Learn about the project in a presentation by Metro staff

Public Comment Forum

Put your comments on the record. Verbal comments will be recorded. Written comments may be submitted at the meeting or no later than November 30, 2007 to:

Kimberly Yu, Project Manager
Metro
One Gateway Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012
or [email protected] or fax to 213.922.3005

Project Map

Please Join Us

6:30 – 8:30 pm, Thursday, November 8
Palm Park
5703 Palm Av
Whittier, CA

9 – 12 noon, Saturday, November 10
Senior Center at City Park
115 South Taylor Av
Montebello, CA

6:30 – 8:30 pm, Wednesday, November 14
Potrero Heights Elementary School
8026 East Hill Dr
Rosemead, CA

6:30 – 8:30 pm, Thursday, November 15
North Park Middle School/Cafeteria
4450 Durfee Av
Pico Rivera, CA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM   #209
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
I haven't heard a thing about that study for a while, I don't know what happened. Let me look at The Transit Coalition discussion board and see what they have.
Well?
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:34 PM   #210
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

All those potential routes in study would only add more congestion to the gold line. They should reconsider bringing those lines under study straight to downtown instead, I mean, come on, this would mean less transfers and less time!...
Old October 31st, 2007, 05:27 PM   #211
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
Well?
I've gotten no reply, the forum has been oddly silent the past few days.

Old October 31st, 2007, 05:28 PM   #212
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
All those potential routes in study would only add more congestion to the gold line. They should reconsider bringing those lines under study straight to downtown instead, I mean, come on, this would mean less transfers and less time!...
What do you mean? Expo goes downtown. Eastside Extension goes downtown. Purple Line goes downtown. Crenshaw does not even affect the Gold Line I wouldn't think, nor does the Pink Line. Really, we just need the downtown connector already. Is that what you mean?

Old October 31st, 2007, 09:54 PM   #213
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
I'm referring to this Project map. The lines under study don't go into downtown, they just connect to the gold line. This would obviously cause saturation on the gold line, not to mention it is light rail not heavy rail...
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:07 PM   #214
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
I'm referring to this Project map. The lines under study don't go into downtown, they just connect to the gold line. This would obviously cause saturation on the gold line, not to mention it is light rail not heavy rail...
That's the study for one line, and it won't go downtown until the Downtown Connector is done. And that project is also being studied.

Old November 4th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #215
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18158

Los Angeles subway route through Hollywood considered
3 November 2007

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Los Angeles' long-talked-about subway to the sea may end up getting there by way of Hollywood.

County transit officials, who have pushed plans for decades to put a subway line underneath busy Wilshire Boulevard, are now considering moving it farther north. That would send it through Hollywood, West Hollywood and Beverly Hills on its way to the Pacific Ocean.

Going that route would avoid opposition from the tony Hancock Park neighborhood. At the same time, it would accommodate the large number of young apartment dwellers in the Hollywood area who say they would welcome subway access that connects Santa Monica and Hollywood to existing lines that link downtown and the San Fernando Valley.

Even if all concerned eventually agree on a route, however, there is still the question of where the $6 billion needed to build the subway line will come from.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #216
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Great, the LA Times posted this and now it's getting spread around.

From now on, can you put posts like this in the thread linked to below? It is more up to date and is about the whole system, not just the stations.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=411314

Old November 6th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #217
Codfish

Likes (Received): 2

I assume most of you have already seen this article, but...

L.A. subway plans take a radical shift

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...tory?track=rss
By Rong-Gong Lin II, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
November 3, 2007

After trying for three decades to build a subway down Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles County transit officials are now considering a radically different route that would send the Westside rail line though Hollywood, West Hollywood and the Beverly Center area.

The new proposed alignment for the "Subway to the Sea" would extend west from the Hollywood/Highland Red Line station, roughly following Santa Monica Boulevard through Beverly Hills, a route that backers say should dip south to connect with the Beverly Center mall and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

The new concept is still in its preliminary stages, and the Wilshire alignment remains on the table. But even though officials don't have funding for the $6-billion project, the new concept has sparked much debate because of how crucial many officials see the subway to easing the Westside's traffic woes.

The new route would bypass the Miracle Mile and Hancock Park, where opposition remains strong to a subway from residents in the upscale residential district.

At the same time, officials and residents in Hollywood and West Hollywood are rolling out the welcome mat, saying the younger, apartment-living residents in that area would be more likely to take the subway.

"We have a tremendous ridership base that would use it," said West Hollywood Councilman Jeffrey Prang.

But the new route perplexes some transit experts, who note that bus ridership is much higher on the Wilshire bus lines than on those along Santa Monica Boulevard.

Buses that run along Wilshire attract 64,300 boardings a day, making it the top bus corridor in the Metropolitan Transportation Authority area, which covers much of Los Angeles County. Santa Monica Boulevard's bus ridership comes in a distant fourth, with 34,900 boardings a day. (Two boardings make up one round trip.)

"The preferred route is where the highest-density corridor is, and that's definitely along the Wilshire area," said Genevieve Giuliano, director of the National Center for Metropolitan Transportation Research at USC.

The MTA's rail planning has come under scrutiny since officials revealed Thursday that the light-rail Exposition Line from downtown to Culver City is expected to cost $145 million, or nearly 23%, more than the original budget called for.

The MTA is examining the pros and cons of each subway route to determine which one deserves further study for an environmental impact report. Officials have not come up with a cost estimate for either alignment.

The last detailed study to explore extending the subway westward was done more than 15 years ago. A subway along Wilshire has long been considered a crucial part of the backbone for a rail system in L.A.

When the idea was raised in the early 1980s, residents and businesses rose up to oppose it, citing concerns about construction delays, the danger from underground methane deposits and a possible increase in crime.

But over the last three decades, some of that opposition has dropped as traffic has worsened.

At a recent public meeting, Miracle Mile resident Diana Eisele, 54, recalled how difficult it was for her relatives from London and Rome to navigate L.A.'s mass transit system.

"It's downright embarrassing trying to get them around the city," said Eisele, who lives two blocks north of Wilshire on Citrus Avenue.

Eisele also said she has suffered her share of the increasing congestion. She teaches fitness programs for senior citizens around the city. Recently, she had to reschedule the start of her class in West Los Angeles from 9 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. because morning traffic is so unpredictable. Still, she says she is often late.

But others along Wilshire remain opposed to a subway there.

"Subways were developed for vertical cities of the last century. This is a horizontal city," said Mike Genewick, president of the Windsor Square Neighborhood Assn., known for its stately historic mansions.

He said he feared that a subway stop at Wilshire and Crenshaw boulevards, and added pressure for development, would "block sunlight and increase crime in single-family residential area."

The subway is getting a much better reception a few miles north.

"Places with larger, more expensive homes tend to be more resistant to anything that impacts their neighborhoods," said West Hollywood's Prang. In his city, "you have a very receptive community that will welcome mass transportation options."

Erik Sanjurjo, a member of the Hollywood United Neighborhood Council board, said the proposed shift to Hollywood and West Hollywood makes demographic sense.

"I think there's a lot of young people who move around that area; that part of the city has a lot of jobs, entertainment, restaurants and theater," he said. "There's a lot of activity; the people of that area want a way to move around."

But in Beverly Hills, some officials seem to favor Wilshire over Santa Monica.

"Wilshire Boulevard gets really clogged in the afternoon; almost at times it becomes like a parking lot," said Mayor Jimmy Delshad. "On Santa Monica Boulevard, we face a lot of homes."

Beverly Hills' mass transit committee has endorsed the Wilshire alignment, which would run through the city's primary commercial district. Nearly 75% of the traffic through Beverly Hills does not involve a stop there but is a result of commuters going to and from downtown L.A. and the Westside, Delshad said.

Even if officials can agree on a route, whether the $6 billion needed to build the subway can be found remains a major question. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's aides say they are studying possible funding scenarios, including "benefit assessment districts" that would levy extra taxes on property owners within half a mile of the subway line. Another idea is to find a private firm that could build and possibly operate the subway.

But some MTA officials say the Subway to the Sea is just too expensive and that the money should be spent on smaller transit projects such as busway and freeway expansions.

MTA officials are reviewing comments they received from public meetings last month on the subway and say they expect to present the board with a route recommendation by summer.

--

I gotta say, though I agree that both the lines along Wilshire and Santa Monica should be built eventually, it doesn't make much sense to me to do the Santa Monica Blvd. route first. Yes, it would be great to have subway access in northern BH and West Hollywood. But the first priority should be making the subway a viable alternative to cars for people on the Westside (and people downtown going west). And where will those people be going? Sure, a few will be going to/coming from Hollywood and West Hollywood. But I assume far more will be going to places like the Rodeo Drive shopping area (off Wilshire), the museums at Wilshire and Fairfax, Koreatown, and, of course, the enormous number of commuters traveling every day from the Westside to downtown, and from downtown (and Long Beach, Pasadena, and East LA) to the Westside. It makes absolutely no sense to make those travelers make a huge and time-consuming detour through Hollywood to get to their destinations. If it's going to take forever to get there, people will probably just drive.

Also, who else wants to smack Mike Genewick of the Windsor Square Neighborhood Association?
Codfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #218
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Once again, don't believe that article. Wilshire is still the 1st priority option.

Old November 6th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #219
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicux View Post
They could call it a metro if it was a tram... but what's the relation between THE BUS and the name given "ORANGE LINE METRO"
psychology...if you call it a "metro" and use the term "line" people will believe it is almost like an LRT...and they will be encouraged to use it...

Same idea with the $1.99 concept...it is just $0.01 less than $2 but somehow it feels like it is less....

BRT Orange Line...feels like an LRT

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #220
dios tanatos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

It's the current trend nowadays. Every mode of public transportation is called "metro", whether it be rail, bus, carrier pigeon, rickshaw, whatever...
dios tanatos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles