daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 10:53 PM   #2201
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Metro Expo Line to Santa Monica - The Best Spots in 4K

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #2202
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

While watching a video from the new Expo Line, I realized how much verbal noise people face on those trains. It's like the accustic version of a historic html site when it wasn't yet known that less is actually more. I know metro authorities all across the world harrass people with all sorts of automated statements but this is more than usual.

What I find especially disturbing however is how anouncements are exclusively in English, except for all anouncements warning against illegal behaviour, which are also in Spanish. Wow. Quite a message with the choice of language there. If I were Hispanic I think I would feel insulted by what they are implying there.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; June 4th, 2016 at 12:34 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #2203
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
While watching a video from the new Expo Line, I realized how much verbal noise people face on those trains. It's like the accustic version of a historic html site when it wasn't yet known that less is actually more. I know metro authorities all across the world harrass people with all sorts of automated statements but this is more than usual.

What I find especially disturbing however is how anouncements are exclusively in English, except for all anouncements warning against illegal behaviour, which are also in Spanish. Wow. Quite a message with the choice of language there. If I were Hispanic I think I would feel insulted by what they are implying there.
I don't know which video and I didn't watch, but announcements on LA trains and buses are in both Spanish and English. Maybe something was cut off? And regarding train noise, lots of new riders on Expo excited just to be there so much more talking than normal.

LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:34 AM   #2204
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Expo Line Action In Santa Monica and West LA With Bonus Scene

Visit the New Jersey Section

DanielFA liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #2205
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I don't know which video and I didn't watch, but announcements on LA trains and buses are in both Spanish and English. Maybe something was cut off? And regarding train noise, lots of new riders on Expo excited just to be there so much more talking than normal.
Not sure anymore which video it was, but it was a video of the complete ride Santa Monica to 7th street / Metro. I guess any such video would do. I can't remember any anouncement in Spanish other than those I referred to which were about criminal offenses. Ok I did not pay all parts of the ride that much attention as the video was only running at the side but still. Maybe I missed some but even the general anouncements other than that were exclusively in English.

I wasn't thinking about noise from the train or from passengers btw, I was talking about the automated anouncements about all sorts of things.

EDIT: Apparently you can ride it with absolutely no anouncements at all (ok, thats the other extreme and therefore not good either ...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0IqZotDG4
Old June 6th, 2016, 02:03 AM   #2206
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The Expo Line is a great addition to the light rail network for Los Angeles, but it certainly doesn't win any awards for attractiveness. The trains are covered in advertising, the stations are austere, and the fencing along the line is just one step up from chain link. Of course, this is a reflection of the budget for building the line.

jonasry liked this post
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #2207
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

From the Expo Line videos it looks like a mixture of 4- and 6-car trains are being run. The station platforms look longer. Is this in anticipation of possibly running 8-car trains at some point?
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #2208
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
From the Expo Line videos it looks like a mixture of 4- and 6-car trains are being run. The station platforms look longer. Is this in anticipation of possibly running 8-car trains at some point?
The trains on all the LRT lines use articulated cars like this...

...so what you're actually looking at are 2- and 3-car sets.

Unfortunately, the LRT platforms are all built for 3-car sets maxiumum (in fact the Green Line has a couple stations that are only built for a 2-car max.) You can visualize it by looking at the bright yellow bollards, 2 per station, that correspond to the gaps between train cars.

Since the Green and Crenshaw Lines are going to be inter-operable, those 2-car Green stations will almost definitely need to be expanded. But the locations of several of the current 3-car-max stations on the Expo and other lines preclude them from being modified, such as the terminus in downtown Santa Monica. So it seems that for the existing lines at least, 3 cars will remain the maximum.

I've definitely felt the rush-hour crunch on a short train, but that's going to be mitigated by two factors: 1) in the coming months as Kinkisharyo finishes delivering the order of new p3010 cars, there will be more 3-car sets for rush hour services, and 2) when the Regional Connector is completed in a few years and the Blue/Expo/Gold are merged into Blue/Gold, the streamlined system will allow for 6-minute headways on both LRT lines.

Last edited by MarshallKnight; June 6th, 2016 at 07:38 PM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #2209
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
The trains on all the LRT lines use articulated cars like this...

...so what you're actually looking at are 2- and 3-car sets.
Thanks for the info. That's similar to here in Washington DC, where our Metro cars all come in "married pairs", with trains being either 6 or 8 cars long (4-car trains were phased out a decade ago), though I think the station designs can theoretically accommodate 10-car trains, though this has never been done in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I've definitely felt the rush-hour crunch on a short train, but that's going to be mitigated by two factors: 1) in the coming months as Kinkisharyo finishes delivering the order of new p3010 cars, there will be more 3-car sets for rush hour services, and 2) when the Regional Connector is completed in a few years and the Blue/Expo/Gold are merged into Blue/Gold, the streamlined system will allow for 6-minute headways on both LRT lines.
Not to mention when the Purple Line Extension to Santa Monica is completed in a decade or so (hopefully).
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #2210
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I know that the electrical systems in Washington has only just been upgraded to handle eight cars. Also, the new rolling stock comes in quadruplets rather than pairs. Means that only eight-car trains can be run.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:36 AM   #2211
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Is there any special arrangement of public transit for E3 2016?

#E32016
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #2212
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5780

There is a proposal to provide direct bus service to Ontario International Airport in Ontario, California. However, the new routing of Route 80 will not connect to Metrolink; for that an extra transfer to Route 61 will be required.

http://www.omnitrans.org/blog/2016/0...blic-meetings/

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:45 AM   #2213
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/06/1...ubway-station/

Fresh pics: last weekend’s decking work for Wilshire/La Brea Purple Line subway station
By Steve Hymon on June 14, 2016

One weekend down, 21 weekends to go! The first of 22 weekend closures for construction of the Wilshire/La Brea Station occurred last weekend.

The work involves installing decking so that traffic can continue roll along Wilshire while excavation of the station continues below. More about the 22 weekend closures here.

The first section of the Purple Line Extension will take the subway from its current terminus at Wilshire/Western to Wilshire/La Cienega with three new stations — at Wilshire/La Brea, Wilshire/Fairfax and Wilshire/La Cienega. The project is funded largely by the Measure R half-cent sales tax approved by county voters in 2008 and a federal grant. The potential ballot measure that Metro is considering would accelerate the Purple Line’s completion to Westwood with a target completion of 2024-2026.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 07:04 PM   #2214
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

That's Harriet the Tunnel Boring Machine digging just under the streets of L.A. for the Crenshaw/LAX line. When the line is done riders will be able to take public transit to and from the airport for the first time!

FACEBOOK POST BY MAYOR ERIC GARCETTI
https://www.facebook.com/garcetti/?fref=ts

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 07:44 PM   #2215
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Just like the light rail in GTA V.

lsg97 liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #2216
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Streetcar Report Offers Route Options and Plenty of Questions

DTLA - The long saga of the proposed Downtown streetcar has hit a milestone, with the release of the draft environmental impact report that breaks down the project’s flaws, potential and more.

Yet it raises nearly as many questions as it answers, and firm estimates on cost and timeline remain elusive.

The 606-page report, also known as the DEIR, comes in advance of a public hearing. On Tuesday, July 12, an event to gather feedback and answer questions about the project will be held from 6:30-8 p.m. at the Deaton Auditorium at the LAPD headquarters building (110 W. First St).

The report examines every facet of the streetcar, from its speed to traffic disruptions to air quality impacts. The biggest decision that the nonprofit overseer L.A. Streetcar Inc. and the city must ultimately make is which of four proposed routes makes the most sense.

Streetcars would, for the most part, travel in a loop, with main spines that run north on Hill Street, east on First Street, south on Broadway, and west on 11th Street. One big question is, after it cuts north up Figueroa Street, whether it should go east on Ninth Street or Seventh Street.

more http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/s...aeac86b97.html

subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #2217
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!

Likes (Received): 530

And again, Americans do not know anything how to build a modern tramway network, why they keep building it in the mixed traffic like some bus?

Is there any reason to that? Have not they seen how the modern tramway systems look elsewhere?

Who needs three section short streetcar vehicles? Capacity is equivalent to a bendy bus.

If they want something ecological then a trolleybus system with bendy trolleybuses. But if they want exactly tramway then it should use long vehicles, at least 30-32 meters song and run on its right of way, that's the only reason you would build a tram, only reason when it is cost effective.

If it is gonna run in mixed traffic and use short vehicles, what is the point of having it? Bendy trolleybus system would easily replace this thing and be a lot cheaper.

Tågälskaren, MrAronymous, DanielFA liked this post

Last edited by Tramwayman; July 12th, 2016 at 01:52 PM.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #2218
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
And again, Americans do not know anything how to build a modern tramway network
LA's Light Rail shows they do. Quite why the same city then proposes this downtown streetcar loop nonsense beats me - you call it right - there's no reason for this to be tram as it makes no use of the advantages of trams - it's a literal folly.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 04:23 PM   #2219
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

This is more of a development mechanism than a transport system.

Tågälskaren, fskobic liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #2220
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Agreed, it's not much more than a tourist gimmick to create the illusion of a multi-modal streetscape. Serious transit improvements downtown are going to come via subway construction, as with the Regional Connector.

In other news, Metro just released the first ridership numbers for the Expo since its extension to Santa Monica, and to no one's great surprise, it's jumped by ~50%

Now it's up to Metro to sustain that growth by improving headways, fixing the glitchy new P3010s, and getting as many new cars up and running to relieve some of the packed rush hour trains. The opening of the Regional Connector is supposed to facilitate 6-minute headways, instead of the current 12, but there's plenty that can be improved to ensure those numbers don't bleed away in the next couple years until that happens.

dimlys1994, fskobic, Dan78, TM_Germany, Swede liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles