daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2016, 12:47 AM   #2321
Kenni
Admin

What? they get N, G and L.

Wow, L will be a revelation, it is sorely needed.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2016, 01:22 AM   #2322
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

The "N" Line doesn't actually appear to be a real thing. Just something dreamt up by whoever drew that fantasy map, I guess as a way to deal with the branching of the Orange Line -- someone correct me if they know any different of course.

But yes, the Sepulveda and Van Nuys corridor projects are among the most critical in all of Measure M. I'm curious how it will actually come together -- the Van Nuys portion will almost definitely be LRT, but I had heard a Phil Washington comment (cannot find where) that the Sepulveda tunnel could be an HRT subway. So it's possible they are two separate lines that connect at Van Nuys/Oxnard.

If that's the case, they should just interline the Van Nuys LRT with the trans-Valley "G" Line.

Kenni liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 05:22 PM   #2323
redspork02

Likes (Received): 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
The "N" Line doesn't actually appear to be a real thing. Just something dreamt up by whoever drew that fantasy map, I guess as a way to deal with the branching of the Orange Line -- someone correct me if they know any different of course.

But yes, the Sepulveda and Van Nuys corridor projects are among the most critical in all of Measure M. I'm curious how it will actually come together -- the Van Nuys portion will almost definitely be LRT, but I had heard a Phil Washington comment (cannot find where) that the Sepulveda tunnel could be an HRT subway. So it's possible they are two separate lines that connect at Van Nuys/Oxnard.

If that's the case, they should just interline the Van Nuys LRT with the trans-Valley "G" Line.

Sepulveda Pass must be HRT......No question about this!
Yeah, I've always wondered how that would work......LRT Van Nuys line and the Sepulveda pass HRT line (if they go w/ this type of rail) and connect the line as one....... Do they build dual tracks or people will have to transfer at the Sherman Oaks/Sepulveda station?

Similar issues with Pink Line (Crenshaw Line Northern Extension), West Hollywood is requesting for HRT (very urban, no doubt justified) thru its area.....but Crenshaw Line/ LAX line is LRT......will Metro go for this?

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:48 PM   #2324
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Does anyone think that an extension to the new City of Champions stadium will be feasible?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 08:04 PM   #2325
redspork02

Likes (Received): 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Does anyone think that an extension to the new City of Champions stadium will be feasible?
We discussed this in the City of Champions thread a while back....
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...52959&page=322

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
The LA Metro Board of Directors will vote on a motion to establish a "Metro Line to Goal Line" task force to help facilitate the efficient movement of people who will use public transportation to attend events at the new stadium.

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/01/1...or-rams-games/
Its feasible....IDK how. Any ideas you were thinking of Tower Dude?? or rumors heard?

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 08:29 PM   #2326
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

It's definitely feasible, but I can't imagine it being prioritized anytime soon.

Based on some conversations I've had with Metro employees, the Harbor Subdivision through the South Bay definitely supports at least two lines, so my guess is that an Inglewood line would start in Torrance and follow the path of the Green Line South Bay Extension north, then veer east along Redondo Beach Blvd, and then up Crenshaw Blvd (or maybe Prairie?) until meeting the Crenshaw Line at Florence.

From there, the question is whether the Crenshaw Line tunnel has the capacity for interlining.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:33 AM   #2327
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

redspork02 I was thinking a spur off the Crenshaw line somewhere that would lead to the stadium, or extend the future Sepulveda line past lax to Inglewood and onwards
To the future Vermont ave subway, if it is indeed HRT

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

redspork02 liked this post
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:06 AM   #2328
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 753

Anaheim Council Votes to Continue With Streetcar Despite Lack of Funding

Anaheim City Council members voted Tuesday evening to keep their $300 million streetcar project on life support, despite failing to secure federal funding and a vote by the Orange County Transportation Authority to stop working on the project[...]

dimlys1994 liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:17 AM   #2329
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 317

Very sad, anti-everything but cars Orange County can't even build a streetcar. At least there's Metrolink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tågälskaren View Post
Anaheim Council Votes to Continue With Streetcar Despite Lack of Funding

Anaheim City Council members voted Tuesday evening to keep their $300 million streetcar project on life support, despite failing to secure federal funding and a vote by the Orange County Transportation Authority to stop working on the project[...]
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 06:08 AM   #2330
LineDrive

Likes (Received): 2

Am I missing something?

Two things:

First what are the chances that the timeline being proposed by Metro would be altered once/if the Measure passes?

I ask because you can't tell me "road improvements" and "linking of a bike path" and "upgrading orange BRT signals" are on the same level of impact and importance as Sylmar to LAX Heavy Rail, Vermont Heavy Rail, WestHo Light Rail and even Artesia Light Rail.

And second,

The LA Mass Transit goes from decent to ELITE with five projects:
  • Sylmar to LAX Heavy Rail (btw, if they make Van Nuys Blv Light Rail then that's the most short sighted infrastructure mistake I literally have ever heard)
  • Vermont Heavy Rail
  • Purple line to Santa Monica
  • Lincoln Blvd Light Rail to SM PL station
  • Crenshaw light rail to Hollywood/High

With all the money that gets wasted by the Government at both the Federal and State level, I don't see how projects like they don't get built.

Just from the state level alone: The most recent signed California state budget was $171 Billion dollars. How much would the five projects I listed cost? 40 Billion? And if construction started now what's a reasonable amount of time for each project individually to get done? 12 years? You mean to tell me the state of CA can't give $3.3b per-year (1.9% of state budget) in the next 12 years toward getting its most important city to elite Mass Transit status to reduce its biggest and most consistent issue... Traffic/Congestion?

Then you combine that money with ANY help at all from the Federal level and you have a great system. Then Measure M money is the cherry on top of the sundae and if THAT passes you are looking at getting everything done Orange line LR, Pasadena to Orange LR, Pasadena to East LA LR, Both East LA extensions, LR to Artesia... maybe even fairytale projects like Red Line to Burbank Airport and Pico area Underground. Am I missing something or?
Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:54 PM   #2331
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Los Angeles County and Orange County should merge their transit operations, moreover, local systems should fold into this bi-county mega agency.

etooley1985 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 07:45 PM   #2332
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

Los angeles will build 13 Metrolines in the future

Maybe...
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 01:34 AM   #2333
etooley1985

This is the bigger goal, or something close to this. Meet the “2090 map”:
http://la.curbed.com/2016/9/1/127450...-transit-metro
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:10 PM   #2334
etooley1985

Regional Connector Construction Photos

Regional Connector Construction Photos, from The Source:
http://thesource.metro.net/2016/09/0...carousel-97361
Here are some new photos of the Regional Connector construction happening in Little Tokyo. Most of the construction activities this summer have been centered around preparing for the launch of the tunnel boring machine this fall.

Crews at the 1st/Central Station site have reached the bottom of excavation and work to build the station floor, or invert slab, is now underway. In the photos above you can see some of the struts used to brace opposing walls against each other. This type of excavation support system is best suited for narrow dig sites.

Underneath the intersection at Alameda and 1st Street crews continue utility relocation work and tunneling. To date, crews have reached about 45 feet below street level at the station site!

Old September 6th, 2016, 02:32 AM   #2335
okcnaline

Likes (Received): 2

Now we know what the KS P3010 uses for display!!!

Usually it's ntoskrnl.exe. I assume this is some sort of embedded version?

By the way, car 1023.
okcnaline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #2336
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

We can't see anything. You can't post images until you make ten posts. Do that, and come back to post the image again.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #2337
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

Quote:
Originally Posted by etooley1985 View Post
This is the bigger goal, or something close to this. Meet the “2090 map”:...
People got modest indeed. Some decades ago mankind was building interstellar colonies in science fiction by 2090. Nowadays they are foreseeing a rail network in Los Angeles at least the size of what it had about almost a century ago.
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:35 AM   #2338
etooley1985

Yes, we did mess that up. At least the new (old) lines are more grade-separated.
New from the Crenshaw line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
People got modest indeed. Some decades ago mankind was building interstellar colonies in science fiction by 2090. Nowadays they are foreseeing a rail network in Los Angeles at least the size of what it had about almost a century ago.

dimlys1994, Tågälskaren liked this post
Old September 8th, 2016, 10:56 PM   #2339
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 753

Investing in light rail can reduce how much people drive – but only for those close to stations.

Despite the pervasiveness of cars and driving in the US, some cities are pushing public transit projects. But what are the benefits of such projects[...]

Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #2340
etooley1985

Crenshaw Line Updates

http://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/me...r-section-.jpg

The bridge that will connect the Crenshaw/LAX tracks to the Green Line.

MLK Station

MLK Station box - lower walls

North of Imperial Highway near LAX

The Fairview Heights station takes shape

Cut-and-cover section between 104th street and 111th street

Tags
los angeles