daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2016, 04:24 AM   #2341
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tågälskaren View Post
Investing in light rail can reduce how much people drive – but only for those close to stations.

Despite the pervasiveness of cars and driving in the US, some cities are pushing public transit projects. But what are the benefits of such projects[...]
Sniffing around that site, I smell political bias. I'm not sure what, but there's something afoot. I don't really trust that too much.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #2342
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Sniffing around that site, I smell political bias. I'm not sure what, but there's something afoot. I don't really trust that too much.
Most likely, yes. That's very common anti-transit talking point, and its pretty meaningless.

Of course it only serves people who live near the stations. That's why stations are generally put in places lots of people go. The train is not meant to substitute for a whole road system. Its meant to be a high capacity means of conveyance through a particular corridor.

Its better to think of it like a freeway through a particular area. And systems generally have a throughput capacity on the order of a large freeway. But instead of this freeway being over 100-120ft wide, a constant source of noise and emissions, and thus causing a general blight on any area nearby, train tracks are typically only about 25 feet wide, only have a noisy pass thru every 5-10min (and modern systems are a lot quieter than older subways), and generally don't have any emissions associated with them. Plus development tends to flock to train stations rather than retreating from them.

For a city with nowhere else to expand out, the train is the only transportation option that allows the city to fill in.
Old September 9th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #2343
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tågälskaren View Post
Investing in light rail can reduce how much people drive – but only for those close to stations.

Despite the pervasiveness of cars and driving in the US, some cities are pushing public transit projects. But what are the benefits of such projects[...]
So people are using PT for long distance travel, but not really for shorter trips. That implies that the local structure is still rather suburban with little incentives of walking to stores in reasonable distance or taking a frequently running bus to a sub centre.

If anything it just shows that here is still a long way to go and urban design as such still has to change. If light rail stops were small sub centers themselves instead of merely being parking lots with a rail platform, with bus lines connecting mid density residential neighbourhoods to them, the mobility pattern would change significantly, but so would the look and the feel of the city. Establishing the long distance network is certainly a start where the rest can build upon though.

Quote:
This underlines the importance of dense transit-oriented development in conjunction with transit infrastructure investment.
Indeed it does.

fskobic, Tågälskaren liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #2344
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

I've got an idea

What is with Free WIFI?
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:03 PM   #2345
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 754

Anaheim to finish streetcar study

Despite overwhelming obstacles and opposition from outside agencies, a City Council majority last week voted to keep alive a vision for a streetcar rumbling 3.2 miles along Katella Avenue and Harbor Boulevard[...]

dimlys1994 liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #2346
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 317

Measure M Website

Measure M website link, with highway and transit expansion plans:
http://theplan.metro.net/

Tågälskaren liked this post
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:54 AM   #2347
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

New Video Released about the Foothill Gold Line Light Rail Extension from Glendora to Montclair

MONROVIA, Calif., Sept. 14, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority today released a new and informative video, entitled: "Connections: Foothill Gold Line from Glendora to Montclair - Where Will It Take You?"[...]

NEW VIDEO!

Kenni, dimlys1994, Nexis, redspork02 liked this post
Old September 19th, 2016, 02:15 AM   #2348
Kenni
Admin

Drove to Union Station yesterday, parked and took the Red Line to the Expo Line to Santa Monica.

I read it takes like 45 minutes, but it felt less.

Santa Monica Station

I love what they did from the station down to the pier, and it was a good thing. Business is booming in that sector thanks to Metro and the Expo Line.

God! you gotta love LA, the weather, the setting, and....Metro!
Old September 19th, 2016, 06:43 AM   #2349
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

Great.

Wonderful beach.
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 01:59 AM   #2350
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Excellent news... About 21,000 of the 91,000 to attend the Rams home opener at the Coliseum used the Expo line to get to the game. I personally know at least a handful of first time metro users and they loved it
http://thesource.metro.net/2016/09/1...ther-seahawks/

phoenixboi08 liked this post
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #2351
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Excellent news... About 21,000 of the 91,000 to attend the Rams home opener at the Coliseum used the Expo line to get to the game. I personally know at least a handful of first time metro users and they loved it
http://thesource.metro.net/2016/09/1...ther-seahawks/

Fotos: Metro
Old September 20th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #2352
etooley1985

Metro Moves Up Date for Possible Northern Extension of Crenshaw/LAX Line

From http://www.wehoville.com/2016/09/17/60432/

The campaign to secure an extension of the Metro rail line through West Hollywood got a major boost yesterday with Metro agreeing to take the steps necessary to start working on plans that would allow work on a northern extension of the Crenshaw/LAX line as early as 2020.

In a letter to City Councilmember Lindsey Horvath, Phil Washington, CEO of the L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority, outlined several steps Metro is taking to make the Crenshaw/LAX northern extension “shovel ready” should county voters approve Measure M. Measure M is a proposition on the November ballot that would permanently increase the countywide sales tax from 9% to 9.5%. It is projected to raise $860 million a year, with $1.9 billion spent on regional rail and $29.9 billion spent on bus and rail operations. Horvath and Councilmember John Heilman are on a Council subcommittee working on the Metro project.

The steps Washington mentioned include completing a feasibility study that is currently underway by June 2017, proceeding with a study of alternative routes for the northern extension in 2017 and developing an environmental impact report on the preferred route in 2018. The extension would connect the Crenshaw/LAX line with the Hollywood/Highland Red Line station in Hollywood.

The northern extension has been part of Metro’s plan for use of proceeds from the Measure M tax increase. However construction of that project had been forecast to begin some time from 2041 to 2047, with other Westside projects such as a tunnel through the Sepulveda Pass and completion of the Purple Line subway to the VA West Los Angeles Medical Center projected to begin earlier.

“Investment in bringing Metro rail to West Hollywood is exactly what our community deserves,” Horvath said in an email to WEHOville. “I am grateful to everyone who made the commitment from Metro possible. This is great news for anyone who’s ever wanted to get out of traffic congestion and avoid dealing with parking. Not only is West Hollywood the most walkable city in California, we are also on track to providing yet another transportation alternative for our community.”

In a message to City Council members, senior city planner Joanna Hankamer said that completion of technical studies by 2020 would leave the northern extension of the Crenshaw/LAX Line “well-positioned to receive additional funding for construction. Phil Washington has previously identified the types of additional funding opportunities that would expedite construction, such as a local tax measure, state and federal grants and financing, and/or public/private partnerships…”

It is not certain that Metro ultimately will agree to route the northern extension through West Hollywood. Metro’s original budget for the extension assumed it would run from San Vicente and then along La Brea Avenue on WeHo’s eastern border to the Hollywood/Highland Red Line station, for a total of six miles. But Fehr & Peers, a consultant hired by the city, presented data to argue that running the extension from San Vicente to Santa Monica Boulevard for nine miles will better benefit West Hollywood and Metro by increasing ridership by more than 300%. Other options considered by Metro are running the extension from San Vicente to Fairfax Avenue and on to the Hollywood/Highland Red Line station and ending the extension at the Wilshire/Vermont Red Line station.

However, Horvath said she believes West Hollywood will have an impact on Metro’s ultimate decision. “West Hollywood will have a strong voice in determining the preferred alignment, along with the All on Board Coalition and other community stakeholders, during the county process which is now slated to begin mid-2017,” she said, referring to a coalition backed by the city that is lobbying for the extension through West Hollywood.

City of West Hollywood flyer promoting Crenshaw Line Extension.
Old September 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM   #2353
subbotazh

Likes (Received): 325

Light rail extension to West Hollywood might happen much sooner than planned

http://la.curbed.com/2016/9/20/12990...ine-extension-
subbotazh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:00 PM   #2354
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Anaheim City Council Won’t Bury Streetcar Plan

Ignoring the wishes of Mayor Tom Tait, the Anaheim City Council voted last week to pursue its study of a streetcar line connecting the California city’s transit center with the resort area around Disneyland to its conclusion[...]

dimlys1994, Swede liked this post
Old September 26th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #2355
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Hey guys -- this is turning into a semi-annual tradition I guess, but I've done some further tinkering with my LA Metro "dream map," refining it to incorporate some Measure M projects that were previously left out... but as before I've taken plenty of liberties as well.

This is obviously not a representation of what LA is building, although I think it's a fair representation of what a truly ambitious LA should be, or maybe more precisely could have been building by now if 1) the original rail system hadn't been wholly dismantled in the middle of the last Century, and 2) Metro were organized in such a way that it could put the urban core of the Metro first.

Worth noting that the urban core (that is, the area between DTLA and Westwood, bounded roughly by the Hollywood Hills to the North, and 10 Freeway to the South) has been magnified, while outlying areas have been shrunk fairly significantly. Assume everything within the urban core will be underground or otherwise grade-separated. Most of the outlying lines follow existing ROWs that could be easily separated, or are highway/freeway-running.

Also, the letter/numbering system doesn't quite match up with what's currently being proposed, but I think it works to keep track of what's here: numbers for the 7 HRT lines and letters for the 14 LRT lines. Also, many of the lines are super long and could easily be broken up, but for the purposes of this visualization I left them very long... if you're curious, the longest line appears to be close to 70 miles.

MasterMetro 4 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr
Old September 26th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #2356
etooley1985

Great map! I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Hey guys -- this is turning into a semi-annual tradition I guess, but I've done some further tinkering with my LA Metro "dream map," refining it to incorporate some Measure M projects that were previously left out... but as before I've taken plenty of liberties as well.

This is obviously not a representation of what LA is building, although I think it's a fair representation of what a truly ambitious LA should be, or maybe more precisely could have been building by now if 1) the original rail system hadn't been wholly dismantled in the middle of the last Century, and 2) Metro were organized in such a way that it could put the urban core of the Metro first.

Worth noting that the urban core (that is, the area between DTLA and Westwood, bounded roughly by the Hollywood Hills to the North, and 10 Freeway to the South) has been magnified, while outlying areas have been shrunk fairly significantly. Assume everything within the urban core will be underground or otherwise grade-separated. Most of the outlying lines follow existing ROWs that could be easily separated, or are highway/freeway-running.

Also, the letter/numbering system doesn't quite match up with what's currently being proposed, but I think it works to keep track of what's here: numbers for the 7 HRT lines and letters for the 14 LRT lines. Also, many of the lines are super long and could easily be broken up, but for the purposes of this visualization I left them very long... if you're curious, the longest line appears to be close to 70 miles.

MasterMetro 4 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

Billpa liked this post
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #2357
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26130

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...ing-stock.html

Talgo to refurbish LA Metro rolling stock
27 Sep 2016

USA: Meeting on September 22, the board of the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority agreed to award Spanish rolling stock manufacturer Talgo a contract to refurbish up to 74 rail vehicles for $73m.

Awarded to the company’s US subsidiary Patentes Talgo Inc, the contract contains a firm order for 38 cars at a cost of $55m, plus an option for a further 36 units for $18m. Contract signature is expected within the next few weeks

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

phoenixboi08, etooley1985, Kenni, oscaldd liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #2358
Lemanic

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Have you posted it on various sub-reddits for more feedback?
Lemanic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #2359
okcnaline

Likes (Received): 2

Blegh... They went with a European company again. And the orders to European companies within 20 years always had some problems. Siemens came late, AnsaldoBreda overweight and REALLY late. I wonder, why is it never Kawasaki? They make great EMUs like the SP1900 and E231.

Last edited by okcnaline; September 28th, 2016 at 10:49 AM.
okcnaline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #2360
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5756

Metro Will Add More Trains To Expo Line To Cut Down On Overcrowding

http://laist.com/2016/09/28/more_trains_for_expo.php

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles