daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2016, 01:56 AM   #2361
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

This quote from the article is more than just strange:

Quote:
There's also a possibility that the two-car trains will become three-car trains. But experts have warned that adding more capacity doesn't always cut down on overcrowding; it may simply lead more people taking the train, which defeats the original purpose of adding more room.
No it does NOT defeat the purpose of adding more room which is to increase capacity of the trains. If that additional capacity is actually needed that does not defeat the purpose it supports it. Those "experts" must be thinking in car traffic dimensions as they are basically saying, "Add more trains and the people are going to rush to use them to their max."

A light rail has substantial expansion potential, road crossings can be fully optimized so that trains never have to wait, frequency can be improved substantially and if even the 3-car trains are not enough, a more substantial upgrade of the line to 4-car trains should be seriously considered. I hope they built the line so that such a scenario can be realized without too great obstacles.

And if all of that still does not satisfy the demand, speed up construction of parallel lines.

Swede liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #2362
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26147

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=535

Conceptual design completed for LA light rail extension
Friday, September 30, 2016

THE extension of the Los Angeles light rail network to Montclair moved a step closer to construction on September 28, when the board of the Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority approved draft advanced conceptual engineering documents for the 19.8km line from Azusa

Work began on this phase of the project in autumn 2014 and has taken 35,000 hours to complete at a cost of $US 15m. Draft documents will now be distributed to local councils along the route as well as Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Agency (LACMTA), Metrolink, and San Bernardino Associated Governments for a 60-day consultation

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

oscaldd liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2016, 06:22 PM   #2363
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post

This quote from the article is more than just strange:

No it does NOT defeat the purpose of adding more room which is to increase capacity of the trains. If that additional capacity is actually needed that does not defeat the purpose it supports it. Those "experts" must be thinking in car traffic dimensions as they are basically saying, "Add more trains and the people are going to rush to use them to their max."

A light rail has substantial expansion potential, road crossings can be fully optimized so that trains never have to wait, frequency can be improved substantially and if even the 3-car trains are not enough, a more substantial upgrade of the line to 4-car trains should be seriously considered. I hope they built the line so that such a scenario can be realized without too great obstacles.

And if all of that still does not satisfy the demand, speed up construction of parallel lines.
Yes they probably were thinking in terms of cars, because with car traffic the equivalent of overcrowding is congestion, which means everything slows down. So if the intention is to keep things moving efficiently, simply adding roadspace won't accomplish this for long. But of course with a rail system, crowding doesn't tend to slow things down that much, if at all (maybe require a few extra seconds dwell time at some stops?)

People might find crowded trains less comfortable, but obviously they still must consider it tolerable. "Nobody takes the train anymore because i's too crowded!" lol

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

Swede, aquaticko liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 03:41 PM   #2364
SpiderBHZ
FORA TEMER!!

Likes (Received): 2308

When I visite LA last year I not only rented a car but used the public transpor as well. Very efficient by the way. The problem with the city is the huge size of the metropolitan area. The distance covered by the 460 Metro, for instance, is insane. 2 hours from Disneyland to the downtown area is something for the braves! hahaha

etooley1985, Kenni liked this post
SpiderBHZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 01:09 AM   #2365
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

Disneyland to Union Station can be done in 70 min with merely one transfer, according to Google maps (compared to 30-40 min car drive off peak and up to an hour during peak traffic). And the bus connections to Fullerton or Anaheim station are not so bad after all, from a first glance. If only commuter rail were a proper urban rail, S-Bahn or RER style. Those 70 min could be offered as frequently as every 15 min. That would be a competitive offer IMHO.

But it isn't and therefore this is only an option if you time your travels carefully. I'd say one could compare it to regional train frequency in Europe on rural main corridors.

fskobic liked this post

Last edited by Slartibartfas; October 4th, 2016 at 01:19 AM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #2366
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemanic View Post
Have you posted it on various sub-reddits for more feedback?
Hey I actually did query the "Imaginary Maps" sub and got some good feedback; here is the updated version. The biggest revisions are:
  • Connecting several of lines at the West Corona Metrolink station, effectively closing a loop around the Chino Hills
  • Pretending that Beach City NIMBYs don't exist, and routing a line along Valley and the PCH through Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo
  • Making some big assumptions about inter-county cooperation, an extending several lines deep into Orange County along the PCH, 405, 55 and Harbor

MasterMetro 4 by Marshall Knight, on Flickr

aquaticko, Lemanic, etooley1985, Swede, Dan78 and 2 others liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #2367
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 317

Thank you for stops in Silverlake, my hood on the LAX line.
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:46 PM   #2368
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Still rather confusing.

When labeling a line in the legend, put the name of the station it ends at, otherwise people will be looking for something they can't find. Case in point- is the (A Long Beach-Chino). Where is the Chino station? Put West Corona instead.

MarshallKnight liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 03:34 AM   #2369
oscaldd
oscaldd

Likes (Received): 836

oscaldd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #2370
etooley1985

Crenshaw line construction photos: Leimert Park

Crenshaw line construction photos: Leimert Park station:

from the Crenshaw/LAX line Facebook page
Old October 13th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #2371
etooley1985

Division 20 from the roof of One Gateway Plaza

Division 20 from the roof of One Gateway Plaza:

from Alex Heschong of‎ Fans of Los Angeles Metro Rail
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #2372
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Hey I actually did query the "Imaginary Maps" sub and got some good feedback; here is the updated version. The biggest revisions are:
  • Connecting several of lines at the West Corona Metrolink station, effectively closing a loop around the Chino Hills
  • Pretending that Beach City NIMBYs don't exist, and routing a line along Valley and the PCH through Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo
  • Making some big assumptions about inter-county cooperation, an extending several lines deep into Orange County along the PCH, 405, 55 and Harbor
Some things I like:
1). One-seat LAX to Downtown LA rail service.
2). "Airport to Airport" Heavy-Rail Service (Your lines 3, 6 and 7).
3). Heavy-Rail Extension to Arts District instead of current termination at Union Station.
4). Downtown Core of LA east of the current Red/Purple line stations not totally ignored as in many LA plans (your new service at Fashion District and Broadway Theaters).
5). Special-events service for Hollywood Bowl and Rose Bowl.
6). Rail Service between the San Fernando Valley and Pasadena.
7). Direct Heavy-Rail Service between Downtown LA and the San Gabriel Valley communities.
8). One-seat Heavy Rail service between Glendale and Downtown LA.
9). Sepulveda Line (desperately needed).

What I might have done differently:
1). Had lines 2 and 7 under Bel Air make intermediate stops at Getty Center and Mulholland (closer to the 405).
2). Run the Red/Purple line from the Arts District to Commerce (the Current Metrolink Station) and convert this section from Metrolink only to hybrid Metrolink/Metro.
3). Run your line 5 from its terminus at Cruise Center to Ports O' Call in lieu of your M and Q lines (terminate these at Cruise Center instead).

MarshallKnight liked this post
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 05:31 PM   #2373
Lemanic

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
As an outsider, tourist, yada yada, here's some suggestions regarding some lines.

- Make a line that connects Disneyland/Anaheim Convention Centre to LAX, Hollywood, Burbank Studio City, CalArts and Six Flags Magic Mountain. Every animation fan and student would love that.

- OC to Santa Monica alongside the sea asap!

LosAngelesSportsFan liked this post
Lemanic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #2374
Brystar27

Likes (Received): 18

When I was in Los Angeles in August 2015 for vacations, i used the Metro to get around while it took a bit longer to get to places i say to me i actually liked it. I didn't rented a car at all, and to me it was for the better.

I am so happy that the Santa Monica Line opened as well its sad i wasn't there when it was operating but i am glad to see its being well received along with the foothill extension as well.

I been to Universal Studios Hollywood using the Red line of the metro, i have yet to go on Metrolink but the next time i go to Los Angeles i want to ride on all the lines eventually and go to many different places in Los Angeles and its surrounding counties.

bighomey3000 liked this post
Brystar27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #2375
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

Decking at future Wilshire/La Brea subway station finished six weeks ahead of schedule

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/10/1...d-of-schedule/

The decking that is now covering Wilshire Boulevard with other equipment..

Construction equipment atop the decking.

by Dave Sotero , October 17, 2016

Weekend street closures at Wilshire Boulevard and La Brea Avenue for construction of the Purple Line subway extension have been completed six weeks earlier than scheduled, Metro and its contractor Skanska, Traylor, Shea, A Joint Venture (STS) announced today.

The decking operation included excavating a portion of Wilshire Boulevard and replacing it with concrete deck panels that will act as a temporary street surface while underground station excavation continues below.

The construction yard at the future Wilshire/Fairfax Station.

•Deck panel installation was originally scheduled to occur over 22 consecutive weekends starting June 10. However, Metro and STS were able to expedite work through a combination of strategies, including early lane reductions on Fridays and close coordination with elected officials, community stakeholders and city departments.

•Future construction work at Wilshire/La Brea will include station excavation, deck openings for deliveries and street restoration. Utility work will continue behind concrete barriers on Wilshire Boulevard and may require occasional short-term directional closures on upcoming weekends.

•Progress is also being made at Wilshire/Fairfax, the second planned subway station for the project’s first section. STS has begun piling operations, which will require some lane reductions for the next several weekends. The decking operation is scheduled to take place over 18 weekends and will follow a format similar to Wilshire/La Brea. The decking is expected to begin as early as January.

•Work also continues at the third and final Wilshire/La Cienega station site that is part of the project’s first construction phase. STS is finalizing utility relocation work and demolishing buildings needed to create two construction staging yards for that station.

The 3.9-mile first phase of the Purple Line Extension will extend the subway from its current terminus at Wilshire/Western to Wilshire/La Cienega with stations at Wilshire/La Brea and Wilshire/Fairfax. The section is fiscal year 2023-25. Two additional construction phases are also planned that will ultimately continue the subway extension nine miles to Westwood/VA Hospital in the coming years. The Purple Line Extension is funded by Measure R and a federal grant.

Metro Board Chair John Fasana at this morning’s press event. Photos by Gary Leonard for Metro.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!

Last edited by redspork02; October 18th, 2016 at 08:15 PM.
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #2376
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

"lowering ceremony" was held today. The new TBM named "Angeli" was introduced to the public for the regional connector in Little Tokyo.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!

Woonsocket54 liked this post
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:40 AM   #2377
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5763

Metro has announced that beginning 2016.10.24, Expo Line trains will have peak headways throughout the day. That is, from 6 am to 8 pm on weekdays, trains will run every six minutes.

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/10/1...6-min-service/

For some reason, they even published a very detailed timetable showing these 6-minute frequencies, meaning the timetable shows when the trains will call at each Expo Line station along the route. Timetable should have been limited to times outside the 6 am-8 pm weekday hours. I mean, who is going to use a timetable when it runs every six minutes? Just show up at the station and a train will come pick you up after a few minutes. To their credit, they shortened the timetable somewhat by not including the detailed timings between 11 am and 3 pm and placing a note stating "TRIPS SCHEDULED EVERY 6 MINUTES" in the gap.

Detailed timetable is here:

https://media.metro.net/riding_metro...O_10-23-16.pdf

Horrible design. Evening timings are very far down compared to the corresponding station names in the headers - very user-friendly.

What's more, there's a notice at the bottom of the schedule:

"ALL TRIPS ARE SUBJECT TO OPERATE 2 MINUTES EARLY/LATE OF PRINTED SCHEDULE TIMES."

So "every six minutes give or take four minutes" is the actual headway.

dimlys1994, fskobic, redspork02 liked this post

Last edited by Woonsocket54; October 20th, 2016 at 03:47 AM.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #2378
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
So "every six minutes give or take four two minutes" is the actual headway.
It can't be late if it's early (vice versa)
Old October 20th, 2016, 03:33 PM   #2379
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5763

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
It can't be late if it's early (vice versa)
No, you could still have trains in intervals between 2 and 10 minutes.

Suppose trains are scheduled to come at 12:30 and 12:36, but they can be two minutes late or two minutes early, per schedule.

So if the 12:30 arrives at 12:28 (2 minutes early) and the 12:36 arrives at 12:38 (2 minutes late), then it's a 10-minute headway (12:28-12:38).

But if the 12:30 arrives at 12:32 (2 minutes late) and the 12:36 arrives at 12:34 (2 minutes early), then it's a 2-minute headway (12:32-12:34).

That's what I meant by "every six minutes give or take four minutes."

Swede, pudgym29 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #2380
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2977

Metro study could lead to new train stations in Glendale and Northeast L.A.

Also, increased frequency along the Metrolink corridor between Union Station and Burbank Airport, but not necessarily operated by Metrolink trains.

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles