daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2016, 05:46 PM   #2381
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 317

Leimert Park Tunnel one completed

Harriet, the tunnel boring machine drilling the future Crenshaw/LAX train line completed the first of two journeys through Leimert Park today, and Metro photographer Steve Hymon was there to capture the moment.

Metro CEO Phil Washington used the first tunnel’s completion as an opportunity to announce that the contractor working on the Crenshaw/LAX line has agreed to undertake the construction of a possible additional stop at Aviation and 96th Street that would allow passengers to connect to the future people mover shuttle planned for LAX. The environmental review for that potential station has yet to be concluded.

Construction on the Crenshaw/LAX Line is now more than halfway complete and Metro hopes the project will be complete by 2019.

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #2382
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

"Metro receives 50th new light rail vehicle from Kinkisharyo"

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/10/2...m-kinkisharyo/

Los Angeles mayor

Old October 30th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #2383
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by etooley1985 View Post
Thank you for stops in Silverlake, my hood on the LAX line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
When labeling a line in the legend, put the name of the station it ends at, otherwise people will be looking for something they can't find. Case in point- is the (A Long Beach-Chino). Where is the Chino station? Put West Corona instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Some things I like:
1). One-seat LAX to Downtown LA rail service.
2). "Airport to Airport" Heavy-Rail Service (Your lines 3, 6 and 7).
3). Heavy-Rail Extension to Arts District instead of current termination at Union Station.
4). Downtown Core of LA east of the current Red/Purple line stations not totally ignored as in many LA plans (your new service at Fashion District and Broadway Theaters).
5). Special-events service for Hollywood Bowl and Rose Bowl.
6). Rail Service between the San Fernando Valley and Pasadena.
7). Direct Heavy-Rail Service between Downtown LA and the San Gabriel Valley communities.
8). One-seat Heavy Rail service between Glendale and Downtown LA.
9). Sepulveda Line (desperately needed).

What I might have done differently:
1). Had lines 2 and 7 under Bel Air make intermediate stops at Getty Center and Mulholland (closer to the 405).
2). Run the Red/Purple line from the Arts District to Commerce (the Current Metrolink Station) and convert this section from Metrolink only to hybrid Metrolink/Metro.
3). Run your line 5 from its terminus at Cruise Center to Ports O' Call in lieu of your M and Q lines (terminate these at Cruise Center instead).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemanic View Post
As an outsider, tourist, yada yada, here's some suggestions regarding some lines.

- Make a line that connects Disneyland/Anaheim Convention Centre to LAX, Hollywood, Burbank Studio City, CalArts and Six Flags Magic Mountain. Every animation fan and student would love that.

- OC to Santa Monica alongside the sea asap!
Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback on this admittedly fairly silly time-sink of a project. I've done an update that I think incorporates many of the best ideas I've gotten here and on Reddit.

I'll just post the Reddit link here instead of re-posting a huge image and further derailing (yes, I said it) this thread about real Metro developments.

...speaking of which, the new 6-minute Expo headways are effing amazing.

Lemanic, fskobic, Dan78, aquamaroon, pudgym29 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #2384
JHPart

Likes (Received): 41

Hello, your imaginary rail transport map for Los Angeles is looking interesting. It would be nice, if they could build a lot of your lines. One question. There are actual some bus rapid transit lines. They have the same kind of colors and names than the actual Metro Rail Lines. You replace them by light rail or they will still exist aside?

Maybe I can give you some more inspiration. As artist, I draw since a long time imaginary city and public transport maps. It is often very imaginary and not based on a real city. I ad often ideas of the organisation of good public transport systems in my maps. If you like to see my maps, you can look for my website www.jeroenhollander.eu.
JHPart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 12:06 AM   #2385
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 754

Final say on proposed light rail station connecting LAX people mover

Starting Wednesday, residents will have a final chance to have their say on the proposed light rail station connecting Los Angeles International Airport’s planned people mover with the Crenshaw/LAX and Green lines[...]

dimlys1994 liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #2386
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

"Metro installs new safety measures at Blue Line Stations in Long Beach, Compton"

http://www.presstelegram.com/general...-beach-compton

Metro is improving safety at 27 intersections through the cities of Los Angeles, Compton and Long Beach at a cost of $30 million. The most visible upgrades are pedestrian gates, and swing gates shown here, to slow pedestrians before they walk across the tracks. (Photo by Brittany Murray, Press Telegram/SCNG)

more photos here: http://thesource.metro.net/2016/11/0...-improvements/

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #2387
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

An underground connection is being constructed between the Bloc outdoor shopping center and the 7th/Metro Center metro station.

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/11/0...metro-station/

Update on efforts to expand cell-phone services to underground metro sections

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/11/0...edpurple-line/

dimlys1994, Swede, fskobic liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #2388
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

Measure M has passed with 69.82% saying yes and 100% of votes counted!

www.lavote.net/election-results#year=2016&election=3496

Last edited by bighomey3000; November 9th, 2016 at 04:25 PM.
bighomey3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #2389
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Great! And with time the GOP control of the federal government might go away and there might actually be federal funds coming to help speed things up.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

aquamaroon, pudgym29 liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #2390
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

YES! Congratulations! SO COOL! SO PROUD!

Now we have to keep Metro accountable, on time and on budget! Lets get shovels going!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://la.curbed.com/2016/11/9/13573...ransit-results

Measure M: Angelenos vote to tax themselves for better public transit

[IMG]https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/6g305_URFQMgJR_P60dzy_nXcjM=/0x0:3072x2048/920x613/filters:focal(1291x779:1781x1269)/cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/51751243/************_3828802.0.jpg[/IMG]
Riders board the Red Line

A large majority of Los Angeles voters approved a permanent sales tax increase to fund a major expansion of the county’s public transit system.

Measure M required two-thirds of voters to approve it, and handily achieved this goal, with almost 70 percent voting yes.

By adding a countywide half-cent increase to the sales tax—which will increase to one-cent when the existing Measure R tax expires in 2039—Measure M will bring in $860 million annually for decades. This money will fund transportation projects which will dramatically transform the region, including a rail line to LAX, a subway under the Sepulveda Pass, and a Purple Line extension to Westwood.
Additionally, Measure M will pay for much-needed sidewalk improvements, pothole repairs, cycling infrastructure, bike share expansion, and a network of greenways.

To envision how much of a change that Angelenos will see on their streets, Investing in Place notes that up to 8 percent of Measure M’s funds will go towards walking and biking investments, compared to the 1 percent allocated to walking and biking in LA’s current transportation spending.

Although Measure M had a large coalition of support, South Bay leaders opposed it because it did not bring enough investment to their region.

Over the last few weeks, Mayor Eric Garcetti campaigned heavily for the measure, and positioned its passage as key to the city’s future. As he told the Los Angeles Times last night: “There is nothing to be depressed about in Los Angeles when we wake up tomorrow.”

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 11:24 PM   #2391
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 317

Mesmerizing gif shows how much LA’s transit network will grow under Measure M

From CurbedLA
Old November 10th, 2016, 01:40 AM   #2392
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

So there was something positive coming out of the election day. Congratulations. These are great news for Los Angeles, at least in the mid-term ultralong-term.

etooley1985, aquamaroon liked this post

Last edited by Slartibartfas; November 10th, 2016 at 01:49 AM.
Slartibartfas está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 05:10 AM   #2393
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

The expanded Transit Map of Los Angeles Metro looks like a fantasy map, rather than something that is now actually possible, in Los Angeles no less!!!!

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

aquamaroon, fskobic liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:08 AM   #2394
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

If only the East Coast cities had something like Measure M....I wish more states and regions would become self-sustaining in terms of funding...then we wouldn't worry who was in the White House...
Visit the New Jersey Section

aquamaroon, fskobic, mrsmartman liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #2395
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3247

So, yes, Measure M passed!! I had an emoji party planned for this moment if it won. Given the rest of last night's results (as a liberal) I didn't have the heart to post it or think of much of anything. But now...

Old November 10th, 2016, 10:25 PM   #2396
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3247

I posted this in the 2024 games thread but I think it may be of interest here. Here is a quick map I whipped up showing the main clusters/locations of the 2024 games in relation to the mass transit made possible by measure M:

Two sites off of these clusters that are worth mentioning are the Rose Bowl, slightly off the "A" line in Pasadena, and the Honda Center in Orange County which will be used for Volleyball, and which is near the Anaheim ARTIC rail station. There also Dodger stadium by its lonesome off sunset blvd., but that's a topic for another time . Anyways hope you enjoy!
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #2397
pesto

Likes (Received): 3095

Glad that we are getting transit. But remember this also hurts retail spending and people's ability to buy homes, invest, start businesses, etc. The net positive effect of M is microscopic compared to the benefits of, say, Trump's education reform proposals (among several others).

LA in particular has schools so bad and teachers' unions so powerful and regressive that it makes getting out of LAUSD or close to private schools a priority in looking for housing. A nationally renowned education prof has called it "the most regressive educational institution in the world" even including the Middle East.

So, for sure, stay happy; but keep your eye on what makes the country richer, since that is the ultimate driver or everything else.

fskobic liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #2398
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

Oh, please.

This is a public transport infrastructure thread, so maybe that explains why so little attention is given to the education system here ...
And what does Trump have to do with Public transportation in LA, other that the city can probably forget about federal money for light rail or subway expansion?

Last edited by Slartibartfas; November 11th, 2016 at 07:37 PM.
Slartibartfas está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #2399
JHPart

Likes (Received): 41

The plans for better public transport are looking interesting.

Today, it is very expensive to invest in more road ´s and highways in big cities. There is often no place and tunnels and bridges are expensive. So it is also for economic reasons better to invest in a good public transport.

etooley1985 liked this post
JHPart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2016, 11:48 PM   #2400
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Great! And with time the GOP control of the federal government might go away and there might actually be federal funds coming to help speed things up.
Interestingly enough, Trump is a big proponent of infrastructure building... now, does that mean highways and freeways? with the republicans in charge, no doubt. Fortunately, Metro got plenty of proposals for PPP's to accelerate and build several of the lines, most importantly the Sepulveda line

fskobic, sweet-d, redspork02 liked this post
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles