daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:48 AM   #2581
Amexpat

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Huh...most stations have two, at least most that I use. But here, this is West LA, Beverly Hills etc....real estate is $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Real Estate is also very expensive in NYC and the new stations on the recently opened Second Avenue Subway all have 2-3 entrances.

Also, Metro entrances/exit create enormous foot traffic which should be used to get a good deal or even free access on privately owned land where the owners want to take advantage of the increased business generated.

Swede, Kenni, pudgym29 liked this post
Amexpat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:13 PM   #2582
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

So I think fearmongering about Berverly Hills High School didn't pay off

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, aquamaroon liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:00 AM   #2583
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderforever View Post
LA has that a lot. my thinking is that there are probably two reasons: cost of construction and property acquisition (remember that for some reason, LA metro doesn't build on top of its stations); and increased security with lower staffing and maintenance costs.
yes, Similar to the Stations on Hollywood Blvd Red Line). They will be fairly large portal openings.

Hollywood/Western

Hollywood/Vine

Hollywood/Highland

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!

mrsmartman, aquaticko, aquamaroon liked this post

Last edited by redspork02; May 5th, 2017 at 02:06 AM.
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #2584
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 319

Los Angeles does build on top of its stations, all are available for construction. Wiltshire/Vermont and Hollywood Highland are good examples. Wilshire/Western was also developed and there are plans for North Hollywood here:https://la.curbed.com/2017/4/3/15163...opment-project

Old May 5th, 2017, 10:03 AM   #2585
Kenni
Admin

I was gonna say also Metro does allow construction above stations. And in some cases constructs stations and integrates them to existing buildings....does anyone remember the huge 7th st. Metro Center?

This is the main entrance to the 7th St. Metro Center.

The 2nd entrance.

Hollywood/Vine has a MASSIVE complex on top.

Hollywood/Highland has retail/theaters/etc on top.

dimlys1994, aquamaroon, DanielFA, pudgym29 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #2586
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Why don't they extend the Purple Line to Santa Monica? Is it less dense than Westwood?
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #2587
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

The ultimate goal is to get to Santa Monica, but the funds are not available right now, and it isn't as high a priority since the Expo Line terminates there now.
Old May 5th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #2588
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

If Santa Monica is denser than Westwood, they should extend the Purple Line to Santa Monica.

aquamaroon liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 06:57 PM   #2589
redspork02

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post

If Santa Monica is denser than Westwood, they should extend the Purple Line to Santa Monica.
Yes, but its not a priority any longer (the subway to the sea). The Expo Line Gets you to Santa Monica.

Metro believes since Expo is now available it can focus on other projects. Specifically the Sepulveda Pass tunnel or heavy rail service in West Hollywood.

mrsmartman, aquamaroon liked this post
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #2590
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 319

Fresh pics: recent Crenshaw/LAX Line construction

Fresh pics: recent Crenshaw/LAX Line construction from The Source

Work on aerial structure near Aviation Blvd. and 111th street.

Concrete curing for the tunnel walkways on the northern section of the project under Crenshaw Boulevard.

Pouring of concrete for the bridge over the 405.

Deck construction begins to take form on the bridge over La Brea Avenue.

Installation of flooring rebar for underground segment near 60th Street.

Grinding of welded rail for placement near Century Blvd. and Aviation Blvd.

Installation of rebar at the location of the future Hyde Park station.

Rail assembly near Century and Aviation.

Rail placement continues along the alignment.

Rail welding taking place on at-grade section adjacent to Florence Avenue.

Reinforcement installations for the foundation of elevators at Century and Aviation boulevards.

Surface finishing of the bridge structure over La Brea Avenue.

Concrete placement for the multi-purpose emergency walkway on aerial structure near the junction with the Green Line.
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #2591
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21253

Ideally, the purple line would be extended all the way to the Pacific Palisades and Getty Villa. Pacific Palisades would then be upzoned for high-rises.

mrsmartman, redspork02, pudgym29 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #2592
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Never in a million years will there be highrises in the Palisades (or really any of the hill communities). Even Santa Monica will probably max out with medium density mid-rises.

I don't think it's utterly impossible that PCH could one day have a streetcar/light rail line like the old Pacific Electric, but the NIMBY resistance would be fierce.

I think the best thing that could be done with the Purple Line is to connect it to the Expo (soon to be Gold/"E" Line) at Santa Monica Place, then run South under either Lincoln or Main/Nielsen through Venice, Silicon Beach, and directly to LAX, basically wrapping the westside along the coast and providing single-seat rides from the airport to most westside destinations and on to downtown.
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #2593
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Ideally, the purple line would be extended all the way to the Pacific Palisades and Getty Villa. Pacific Palisades would then be upzoned for high-rises.
Nope, impossible. That area is semi-natural, even protected as more than 75% of California's coast is. If it wasn't for that protection our coast would be dotted up and down with hotels and condos. San Fran and San Diego have no choice, but LA is so massive it can splurge in protecting the coast.

You will never see high rises in the Pacific Palisades neighborhood of LA.

Old May 7th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #2594
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3256

Great shot of Purple Line construction from the ever awesome Hunter Kerhart

Wilshire & Fairfax by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

The Wilshire/Fairfax station is across from the LACMA adjacent to the Petersen Automotive Museum (the red and chrome building). And if you look in the distance... the sandstone building with the blue box on top? That's the Wilshire/La Brea intersection, another station under construction

Regarding TOD, Wilshire/Fairfax is a PRIME choice from some big development imo. The parking lot adjacent to the SBE building is already slated for the new LACMA building. But the station itself would be a great location for a nice tall residential/retail/hotel building. 30 stories plus please, 50 plus if I'm being greedy
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #2595
aquamaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Never in a million years will there be highrises in the Palisades (or really any of the hill communities). Even Santa Monica will probably max out with medium density mid-rises.

I don't think it's utterly impossible that PCH could one day have a streetcar/light rail line like the old Pacific Electric, but the NIMBY resistance would be fierce.

I think the best thing that could be done with the Purple Line is to connect it to the Expo (soon to be Gold/"E" Line) at Santa Monica Place, then run South under either Lincoln or Main/Nielsen through Venice, Silicon Beach, and directly to LAX, basically wrapping the westside along the coast and providing single-seat rides from the airport to most westside destinations and on to downtown.
Just to chime in with my 2¢, I agree that Pacific Palisades will probably always be a quiet beach community. The best bet for high density on the coast is along Wilshire in Santa Monica, following a (finally!) completed Purple Line that stops at Wilshire/4th; and a (please grade separated) light rail line the runs down Lincoln Blvd. through SM, Venice, Playa Vista, and LAX, and then ideally continues down the coast to the Beach Cities.

redspork02, pudgym29 liked this post
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #2596
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
Regarding TOD, Wilshire/Fairfax is a PRIME choice from some big development imo. The parking lot adjacent to the SBE building is already slated for the new LACMA building. But the station itself would be a great location for a nice tall residential/retail/hotel building. 30 stories plus please, 50 plus if I'm being greedy

I haven't heard much about it lately, but there was talk of a LACMA-backed, Frank Gehry-designed residential skyscraper with an architecture/design museum in the base, on top of the Fairfax station.

aquamaroon liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #2597
aquamaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I haven't heard much about it lately, but there was talk of a LACMA-backed, Frank Gehry-designed residential skyscraper with an architecture/design museum in the base, on top of the Fairfax station.
Yep! I remember there was a curbed article about it awhile back:

Quote:
LACMA is Planning a Frank Gehry Hotel/Condo/Museum Tower

BY ADRIAN GLICK KUDLER JUL 9, 2014, 6:20PM PDT

Holy cow, LACMA and Metro are cooking up an extreme gamechanger on the Miracle Mile: a museum/hotel/condo tower, sited on top of a future Purple Line station at Wilshire and Orange Grove (across the street from LACMA) and potentially designed by Frank Gehry. "My dream is some beautiful piece of architecture with an architecture and design museum at the base," LACMA head Michael Govan tells the LA Times. He hopes Gehry will design the building (he says he's envious of New York's Gehry-designed 8 Spruce Street) and that it will house the architect's archives. Gehry says they've discussed it and "I'm open to it."

LACMA only owns about a third of the property (which it uses as a parking lot), and it's working with Metro on getting buy-in from all the other surrounding owners now. Govan won't say how tall he wants the tower to be, but does say he sees it as "a sort of flagship" for denser, more vertical development around LA's transit system.
https://la.curbed.com/2014/7/9/10077...domuseum-tower

As you can see that article is over two years old now though, and I haven't heard anything else about it in awhile. I really hope that plan is still moving forward. A hotel/condo/museum skyscraper designed by Frank Gehry around all those cultural institutions would be a dream
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:59 AM   #2598
Kenni
Admin

FYI, the construction right smack in the middle is the new headquarters of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (Oscars). The building in the corner was an old department store that is being refurbished and will be integrated to the new "stuff".

All that next to LACAM and the Page Museum (La Brea Tar Pits).

*What a spectacular picture of the "Miracle Mile"...Wilshire Boulevard. Hunter Kerhart is a genius.

redspork02, aquamaroon liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #2599
redspork02

can we start talking about this Gondola Idea floating around..................

Old May 8th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #2600
redspork02

Yes? No? -------------------->

Tags
los angeles