daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #2601
redspork02

Likes (Received): 817

http://abc7.com/news/la-mayor-consid...-sign/1962649/

Mayor Garcetti considers gondola from Universal Studios to Hollywood sign

Saturday, May 06, 2017 06:54PM

HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) --
According to a recent interview with Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, residents and tourists may someday get to ride a gondola up to the Hollywood sign.

Garcetti told Eyewitness Newsmakers that he is looking at new ways to gain access to one of the city's most famous landmarks after the recent closure of the Beachwood Drive gateway.

The gondola would go right up to the summit with visitors possibly boarding it at or near Universal Studios.

"I think we need to have access to the Hollywood sign, both for residents and people who come here," Garcetti said. "We've got to figure out a better way that doesn't just choke all of the streets with a thousand tour buses. People can't get out of their own driveways."

The mayor said revenue from the gondola rides could be used for traffic mitigation in neighborhoods around the Hollywood sign and for improving the park.

------------------------------------------------------------------
A Gondola from Universal Studios to the Hollywood Sign? It Could Happen

http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/lo...ollywood-sign/

The other kind of gondola

May 8, 2017 Thomas Harlander

So we’re all sad that the Beachwood Drive access to the Hollywood sign is closed because it means we have to take the long way around, and that involves a decent quad workout, which sounds hard. But it doesn’t have to be that way. Mayor Eric Garcetti is considering building a gondola that would transport passengers directly to the summit of Mount Lee, right behind the Hollywood sign. Riders would likely board near Universal Studios and be swooped into the air with a great view over Lake Hollywood—no exercise required. The aerial tram would be both a tourist attraction in itself and a way of reducing traffic in neighborhoods near the sign.

“I think we need to have access to the Hollywood sign, both for residents and people who come here,” Garcetti told Eyewitness News. “We’ve got to figure out a better way that doesn’t just choke all of the streets with a thousand tour buses. People can’t get out of their own driveways.”

Would a gondola actually reduce traffic in neighborhoods near the Hollywood sign? Who’s to say? Would it make us feel more awesome about ourselves as a city? Absolutely.

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2017, 04:30 AM   #2602
Kenni
Admin

I need more info. A gondola has a station at point A and B. What sort of infrastructure would there be on Mt. Lee? I like the idea, but I definitely don't want a Starbucks on top of Mt. Lee.

redspork02 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #2603
redspork02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
I need more info. A gondola has a station at point A and B. What sort of infrastructure would there be on Mt. Lee? I like the idea, but I definitely don't want a Starbucks on top of Mt. Lee.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/

I see point A at Universal....They (Universal) could get in on this. Of course, they would want a cut. Do with point A what they wish....as long as they share the costs and/or maintenance. Point B should be as simple as possible as to not mess with the ecology and scenic views. Most likely, it will be (if) on the valley side of Mt. Lee. out of view from the Basin side.....

A 'private/public partnership'.....

MarshallKnight liked this post
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #2604
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

That would be quite a coup for Universal to make the only access to the Hollywood Sign into a paid park attraction. My guess is that Garcetti wouldn't allow Uni to require a pass to Universal Studios to ride the gondola... but I can definitely see them doing a "park hopper" style package deal.

I'd guess Point A would be located further down, adjacent to the Red Line station for easier access to more tourists. Passing right over the theme park would be a pretty awesome form of free advertising: "Didn't it look like a good time down there while you were soaring over Hogwarts? Well you're in luck because your gondola ticket is good for a $15 discount on a Universal Studios day pass." Or conversely, while you're out and about at the park, watching people fly overhead on their way to the Hollywood Sign would make buying a gondola ticket pretty enticing.

redspork02 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #2605
redspork02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
That would be quite a coup for Universal to make the only access to the Hollywood Sign into a paid park attraction. My guess is that Garcetti wouldn't allow Uni to require a pass to Universal Studios to ride the gondola... but I can definitely see them doing a "park hopper" style package deal.
I agree with you. I wouldn't mind it being a paid attraction on its own but it would have to be outside the theme park paid area. I wouldn't want anyone to have to pay for theme park access just to get to the gondola. Uni has a win\win scenario (if the offer is taken (speculation)) charge parking, charge admission/ more tourist to city walk......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I'd guess Point A would be located further down, adjacent to the Red Line station for easier access to more tourists. Passing right over the theme park would be a pretty awesome form of free advertising: "Didn't it look like a good time down there while you were soaring over Hogwarts? Well you're in luck because your gondola ticket is good for a $15 discount on a Universal Studios day pass." Or conversely, while you're out and about at the park, watching people fly overhead on their way to the Hollywood Sign would make buying a gondola ticket pretty enticing.
Yeah, This would be cool. But I think the Red Line area makes it farther and more expensive. The area of concern are the homes along Barham Blvd. Maybe a low level gondola ride, thru the area with Eucalyptus or pine trees covering the view of the homes until it gets going uphill near the Wonder View Trail head.....

MarshallKnight liked this post

Last edited by redspork02; May 10th, 2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #2606
Kenni
Admin

The question still beckons, point B at Mt. Lee would be throngs of people.
Old May 11th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #2607
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
The question still beckons, point B at Mt. Lee would be throngs of people.

I'd wager they will do timed tickets (like you have at observation decks) to limit the number of people up there at once.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #2608
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 317

No hardhat or miner’s light required: A 360 video tour of a Los Angeles subway under construction

No hardhat or miner’s light required: A 360 video tour of a Los Angeles subway under construction
- from The Source

https://youtu.be/EFvQfuqqqTE

Last edited by etooley1985; May 15th, 2017 at 08:13 PM.
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 02:28 AM   #2609
Kenni
Admin

REGIONAL CONNECTOR

An old, huge storm drain in the way...

ARTICLE

etooley1985, starrwulfe, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:10 AM   #2610
redspork02

Regional Connector tunneling machine breaks through at the Grand Avenue Arts/Bunker Hill Station

ARTICLE HERE

The tunneling boring machine (TBM) that is digging the first of the twin tunnels for the Regional Connector project in DTLA broke through to the Grand Ave/Bunker Hills Station at 2nd/Hope a little before 11 a.m. Thursday.

They skipped the Broadway/2nd St station as they have not created the bloc yet. The FB guy stated they will dig to the tunnels!

phoenixboi08, dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by redspork02; June 2nd, 2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 04:27 PM   #2611
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5751

Apparently the Bunker Hill station will be the deepest in the metro, at 110 feet below ground, and there will be no escalators, only elevators to take passengers down to the platform.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...601-story.html

Here is how it compares to other "elevator-only" underground stations in the country.

1. Portland, Oregon Washington Park light-rail station - 260 feet deep
2. Forest Glen, Maryland metro station - 196 feet deep
3. Union City, New Jersey Bergenline Avenue light-rail station - 160 feet
3. Seattle Beacon Hill light-rail station - 160 feet
5. New York City 181st Street subway station - 120 feet
6. Brooklyn Clark Street subway station - 100 feet deep
7. New York City 168th Street subway station - 76 feet deep
Old June 6th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #2612
redspork02

Metro’s Tough Choice: Which Neighborhoods Deserve Rail Stations?

On the Crenshaw Line extension, it’s still anyone’s guess

http://www.lamag.com/driver/metros-t...rail-stations/

May 25, 2017 Neal Broverman

Other than the yet-to-be specified rail project connecting the Valley to the Westside, there may be no Metro project more eagerly anticipated than a northern extension of the Crenshaw Line. Early planning showed the north-south line connecting the Crenshaw District to Hollywood, possibly veering through West Hollywood on its way to the Red Line’s Hollywood/Highland station. What has received considerably less discussion than the WeHo/Hollywood route is how Crenshaw will connect to Wilshire Boulevard and how it will interact with the mid-city neighborhoods it traverses.

Possible routes for the Crenshaw Line extension[Article Here

A preliminary Metro map of the Crenshaw extension shows stations at the convergence of San Vicente/Pico/Venice and another at Crenshaw and Adams boulevards, before the line connects with either the La Brea, Fairfax, or La Cienega stops on the Purple Line. The former station will most certainly make the cut—San Vicente/Pico/Venice is home to Mid-City Crossing, a large shopping center, as well as a bus depot used by Metro and other transit agencies (e.g., Santa Monica’s Big Blue Bus).

But what about Crenshaw/Adams? Unlike the San Vicente/Pico/Venice station, there is little as far as destinations for this area. The current intersection of Crenshaw and Adams features four (!!) gas stations, and the entrance to the roaring 10 freeway a block or so away. Few people will be getting off this station for work, but many people will be getting on it to get to work.

This section of Crenshaw/Mid-City doesn’t lack for residents, with many transit-dependent. It would certainly help folks get to work in Hollywood and LAX, and connect to the larger rail network. But Metro will need to conduct intensive studies to see if the cost of building a station here—most likely underground—makes sense for the amount of riders they expect to patronize it. Adding a station here will also slow down the travel time for the route, another factor that will be weighed. Metro had to make a similar decision for a Wilshire/Crenshaw station on the Purple Line; they ended up dropping the stop during planning.

There’s another consideration, though. Would a subway station at Crenshaw and Adams uplift this area, which still hasn’t completely recovered from the ’92 riots? Metro could easily buy up one of those gas stations and replace it with a station that includes amenities like landscaping, benches, and bike racks. The transit agency would also likely purchase more of the gas stations and develop the parcels into mixed-use housing; the accompanying retail would be much more welcome than four dirty gas stations and the idling cars they attract.

Of course, then there’s the issue of gentrification. A subway station would most likely lead to increases in rent for the surrounding apartments (as well as housing values for nearby homeowners). This will be a real consideration, especially compared to places like Culver City. The area around the Expo Line station there is booming—but there was little around the stop before it was built, retail or housing-wise, so it’s hard to argue that anyone was displaced because of its addition. There’s a thriving community at Crenshaw and Adams, and with construction possibly beginning on the light rail extension in three years, it could be in for some big changes.

mrsmartman, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old June 7th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #2613
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

Old memories come crashing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
Just to chime in with my 2¢, I agree that Pacific Palisades will probably always be a quiet beach community. The best bet for high density on the coast is along Wilshire in Santa Monica, following a (finally!) completed Purple Line that stops at Wilshire/4th; and a (please grade separated) light rail line the runs down Lincoln Blvd. through SM, Venice, Playa Vista, and LAX, and then ideally continues down the coast to the Beach Cities.
Oh please! Do this! I lived for a half-year @ 8634 Pershing Rd. in Playa Del Rey. I still have the sticker of the apartment complex where this was on the windshield of the 1973 VW Beetle.
Oh yeah- this was 1982. Yes, I was pushing for more transit options even then.
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 12:16 AM   #2614
redspork02

I prefer the La Cienega/San Vicente route north to Santa Monica Blvd.
reasons:
1) high density
2) wide route ( wide streets for digging)
3) hospital (CS)
4) mall
5) PDC
6) nightlife on SM BLVD. The Troubadour
7) less than 1 mile to Farmers Market from Beverly Center.
8) LA Metro has property on San Vicente and Santa Monica Blvd.
9) Easily extend the Santa Monica blvd portion (east - west) from H/H station to Century City Station in the future. And ended the Crenshaw line on Santa Monica Blvd/ San Vicente station. so it wont be too long to LAX.

Old June 15th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #2615
redspork02

Interesting article........Looks like a "bad hombre" wants to remove federal Funds from Metro. and Status of some projects. Good read. I posted the questions asked only with two exceptions. Check out the article.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Metro's Phil Washington: Update on LA's 21st Century Transportation Build-Out
June 14, 2017

Full Article Here

Quote:
Measure M's passage last November assured up to $120 billion in funding for Los Angeles County transportation upgrades and new projects in coming years. But local investment in transportation infrastructure necessarily relies on federal support, and President Trump’s most recent transportation budget is projected to cut transportation spending by 13 percent. Many regional public transit projects already promised federal funding are at risk now of being unfunded. To assess the state of Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority's system transformation, TPR spoke with CEO Phil Washington, who addressed Metro’s 2017-18 budget priorities, the significance of the Metro Board’s formally killing the 710 freeway tunnel project, and innovations that reimagine the current transportation system to mitigate the uncertainty of continued federal support.
Quote:
The Metro Board recently passed a $6.1 billion budget. Assuming the public transit agency’s budget is meant to be reflection of its vision, what is Metro’s vision for 2017-2018?
Quote:
The Metro Board has also made a number of other significant decisions this last month, including about reliance on renewable fuels, formally rejecting a 710 tunnel, and moving toward a universal TAP card. Speak to the significance of these policy decisions.
Quote:
What role is your Office of Extraordinary Innovation playing in carrying out Metro’s vision?
Quote:
Speak to the much-reported drop in bus ridership on the Metro system, and what leadership is proposing to insure Metro is an indispensable part of LA County’s transportation service system.
Quote:
Speak to the much-reported drop in bus ridership on the Metro system, and what leadership is proposing to insure Metro is an indispensable part of LA County’s transportation service system.

The Regional Connector is going to be a big game changer for our system. We’re talking 170,000 boardings every weekday on the three light rail lines it will connect, and a one-seat ride all the way from Azusa to Long Beach and from East Los Angeles to Santa Monica. That will be a huge benefit to the region. It’s about 30 percent complete, and we’re looking to accelerate that as well.

On June 3, we began a five-month full closure of 6th Street between Flower and Hope Streets in Downtown LA to perform all the roadway removal, utility relocation, and beam installation work required for the Regional Connector. That closure will remain in effect until November. Nobody likes closures, but we have to do it; you’ve got to break some eggs.

The Crenshaw Line is almost 70 percent complete. We’re done with our mining excavation, and have retired the tunnel boring machine, “Harriet.” The six bridges out there are structurally done. Rail track is still in the early stages, heading south toward the Aviation/Century station. We are rocking and rolling on that project and looking to accelerate it as best we can. As of now, it will be ready for service in fall 2019.

The Purple Line extension is being built in three phases. Phase One—the first four miles to Wilshire/La Cienega —is under construction right now, and is at 20 percent completion. We’ve given notice to another contractor to start construction on Phase Two to Century City, the next two and a half miles, and that work is getting underway. We are looking to accelerate Phase Three, starting with putting out a solicitation for the tunneling, which is the biggest part of the job. That phase is the last two and a half miles out to Westwood, UCLA, and the VA Medical Center. Overall, we are looking to accelerate the opening of the whole Purple Line—about nine miles—by 11 years.

Those three major projects that are underway, as well as several others in the works, are the results of voters passing Measure R in 2008 and Measure M in 2016. In October, we’ll break ground on utilities relocation for the Gold Line extension out to Claremont. We are also working very closely with Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) to advance the airport station, and we are looking to push forward the West Santa Ana Branch and the Sepulveda Pass projects.
Quote:
Even with sales tax Measure M, Metro has always had a financially dependent relationship with the federal government. However, President Trump’s current budget proposal is projected to cut transportation funding by 13 percent. More than 50 public transit projects just short of final approval now fear they are at risk of being denied funding despite having moved through the pipeline. What would be the impact if the federal government failed to fund Metro’s plans?

We are watching this closely, because there would be a huge impact if our federal partners did not live up to their commitments.

I have been very vocal about the role of the federal government in building this infrastructure. We have assumptions of federal funding in our plans, including in our Measure M plans. We think that the federal government should remain committed to those.

I was very surprised to see three cities in particular—Denver, Los Angeles, and Seattle—called out in President Trump’s budget as not meriting federal funding because they had already raised local money. That was a complete shock to me. The idea that regions that have gone out and raised money on their own—like we did with Measure R and Measure M—should be penalized by losing federal funds is disastrous. We responded very aggressively to that, saying that regions that invest in themselves should be rewarded.

The administration’s recent budget proposal was totally incongruent with its pledge to commit $1 trillion to infrastructure. We hope that Congress will do the right thing and disagree with the budget that has been put forward.
Quote:
TPR recently carried an interview with Oregon Congressmember Earl Blumenauer, who is fighting to safeguard existing funding for TIGER grants, the New Starts and Small Starts programs. What, Metro’s opinion, is the significance of those programs?
Quote:
The International Olympics Committee will soon make its decision about its award of the 2024 Games, and perhaps the 2028, as well. What could IOC’s decision mean for Metro’s plans to contribute mobility to Los Angeles’s plans to host the Olympics?
Quote:
Lastly, State Senator Mendoza’s controversial SB 268 has passed the state Senate. The bill would dramatically shake up the Metro Board of Directors and shift power to outer areas of the region. As Metro’s CEO, what effect would such a change have on your work?

dimlys1994, pudgym29 liked this post
Old June 25th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #2616
etooley1985

Downtown Regional Connector Construction Photos

Grand Ave./Bunker Hill Station

from Twitter
Old June 25th, 2017, 12:44 AM   #2617
etooley1985

Foothill Gold Line light rail extension from Glendora to Montclair will break ground this October.

The 12.3-mile, six-station Foothill Gold Line light rail extension from Glendora to Montclair will break ground this October.

Last night, the Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority (Construction Authority) Board of Directors approved an updated project schedule for the 12.3-mile, six-station Foothill Gold Line light rail extension from Glendora to Montclair. The updated schedule is based on detailed constructability reviews conducted as part of the advanced conceptual engineering phase and a more extensive understanding that the next segment is really two major construction projects in one – first the freight and Metrolink relocations, and then the light rail system construction. The project will break ground in October 2017 and is anticipated to reach substantial completion in late-2025 to early-2026. The first year will be spent relocating utilities and conducting other pre-construction activities, and a design-build contractor is anticipated to be hired in late 2018.

For more information on the updated schedule, see the press release announcement at the link below.

http://www.iwillride.org/glendora-to...nd-in-october/
Old June 25th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #2618
Kenni
Admin

The LAX Metro connection on the Crenshaw Line
  • Crenshaw Line opens 2019
  • LAX Automated People Mover (APM) opens 2023

Source: Los Angeles Magazine
Old June 28th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #2619
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

A gondola lift to the Hollywood Sign? Really? I think this would be a fairly nice idea. How else are tourists actually going to get up to that sign? And who thinks this would be a bad idea?

Also, there is some consideration of a monorail over I-405 which could tame some of the traffic gridlock there. This article at the LA Times website states that a monorail may be a lot more cost-effective than a mass-rail-transit line, The article also implies that Los Angeles has to have at least one of its rail-transit lines be a monorail, like Chongqing and Sao Paulo. I think this is an indication that the areas along the 405 freeway must not be dense enough for a subway.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 01:14 AM   #2620
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Monorail is a nonstarter. Just some bullshit fantasy. It needs to be HRT with a tunnel through the sepulveda pass so that it can connect to the purple line around UCLA / Wilshire.

fskobic liked this post

Last edited by LosAngelesSportsFan; June 29th, 2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: HRT, not HSR
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles