daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2017, 07:46 PM   #2681
etooley1985

Likes (Received): 317

Historic Angels Flight Reopens After Four Years And $5 Million Overhaul

Historic Angels Flight Reopens After Four Years And $5 Million Overhaul
from LAist

On Thursday morning, Los Angeles' iconic Angels Flight railway reopened to the public after an almost four-year hiatus. The 298-foot funicular has ferried Angelenos up and down the steep incline of Bunker Hill for more than 115 years, albeit with a few interruptions.

Save for a short cameo in La La Land, Angels Flight's two orange rail cars have been out of service since 2013, following a derailment. The iconic railway first opened in 1901, back when Bunker Hill still housed Victorian mansions and the city's elite. Billed as "the world's shortest railway" at just shy of 300 feet, more than a hundred million trips have been made on Angels Flight since 1901, according to CBS News.

The railway was dismantled and put in storage in 1969, and didn't make its return to downtown Los Angeles for almost three decades, reopening in 1996.

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, Towersla, sandoz25 liked this post
etooley1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2017, 08:43 PM   #2682
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5959

Who is btw responsible for this crime against good taste, crushing the whole neighborhood with this car park concrete monstrosity? At least it offers a great hill view for the parked cars. Maybe the architect was "inspired" by the name Bunker Hill? In any case the whole block is overdue for demolition.
Old September 1st, 2017, 10:01 PM   #2683
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
In any case the whole block is overdue for demolition.
Working on it.

etooley1985 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 12:00 AM   #2684
etooley1985

L.A.'s Angels Flight reopens after setbacks

Old September 3rd, 2017, 01:38 AM   #2685
pesto

Likes (Received): 3093

Quote:
Who is btw responsible for this crime against good taste, crushing the whole neighborhood with this car park concrete monstrosity? At least it offers a great hill view for the parked cars. Maybe the architect was "inspired" by the name Bunker Hill? In any case the whole block is overdue for demolition.
What exactly are you referring to?
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #2686
etooley1985

Crenshaw/LAX Line’s tunnel boring machine officially retired (and other pics from project!)

From The Source:

The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) today celebrated the end of tunnel excavation for the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project. Harriet, the tunnel boring machine (TBM), completed digging the second of the twin tunnels for the light rail line on April 6.

Harriet began excavating the first of the two rail tunnels under Crenshaw Boulevard on April 26, 2016. The TBM arrived at Leimert Park Station on October 20. Excavation of the second tunnel began on November 29 and was completed April 6.

The 950-ton, 400-foot-long TBM advanced an average of 60 feet a day through soil and rock under Crenshaw Boulevard. Installation of rail tracks has begun in the southbound tunnel.

The one-mile tunnels connect the project’s three underground stations: Expo/Crenshaw, Martin Luther King Jr. and Leimert Park. The $2.058-billion Crenshaw/LAX Line include eight new stations: Crenshaw/Expo, Martin Luther King Jr., Leimert Park, Hyde Park, Fairview Heights, Downtown Inglewood, Westchester/Veterans and Aviation/Century.

The TBM was named after Harriet Tubman, the famous African-American abolitionist and humanitarian who helped slaves escape the South using a network of safe houses known as the Underground Railroad.

A ninth station — to be built separate from this project — will be located at Aviation Boulevard and 96th Street and will be the transfer point between Metro Rail and an automated people mover that will serve the LAX terminals. Los Angeles World Airports is building the people mover and has targeted a 2023 completion date.

Installation of intersection crossing panels at the intersection of Florence and Centinela. Photos by J. Isaí Rosa/Metro.

Installation of protection formwork and lower walls at the tunnel portal along Crenshaw Boulevard south of Slauson Avenue.

Core drilling and probe drilling for the creation of cross Passages. Cross passages are emergency exits that connect the two separated tunnels.

The structure that will carry tracks up to the junction of the Green Line.
Old September 4th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #2687
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
What exactly are you referring to?
That concrete monstrosity here:

https://cmsplatypus.gothamist.com/go...pg-mobile.jpeg

Bascially everything north-east of the Angels Flight (right of it when you look up). I think Marshall Knights response was towards the other side of the Angels Flight which is basically just empty green land. While a development of that underused piece of land (its not really a park either) is a good thing I was talking about the other side.
Old September 4th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #2688
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:

Bascially everything north-east of the Angels Flight (right of it when you look up). I think Marshall Knights response was towards the other side of the Angels Flight which is basically just empty green land. While a development of that underused piece of land (its not really a park either) is a good thing I was talking about the other side.

Yeah, I had the wrong idea about the boundaries of the Angels Landing site; after checking back through Urbanize I realized it doesn't include that (admittedly horrible) parking garage.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2017, 07:58 PM   #2689
pesto

Quote:
That concrete monstrosity here:

https://cmsplatypus.gothamist.com/go...pg-mobile.jpeg

On the DT grid, north east is mostly off the frame and behind. I will assume you mean the area that includes the parking structure and what is behind it, an area called Bunker Hill. This is the largest cultural center in a 3 block area in the world. It is also a center for architectural masterpieces, office towers, outdoor dining and pathways, hotels, etc.

The vast majority of the parking and delivery facilities are underground, accessed by a lower level of Grand Ave. This makes the area mostly free of the maintenance and delivery vehicles that congest other densely built areas.

So one side of a parking structure that is underground on the other sides may not be quite that monstrous.

mrsmartman liked this post
Old September 7th, 2017, 12:14 AM   #2690
Slartibartfas

Buncker Hill is a bigger area. I was talking about the block enclosed by S Olive Street / Hill Street and Angels Flight/4th Street.

This is obviously a hill side location so the other side won't show any exposed garages. But that helps little if this prominent side looks absolutely ugly, brutal and hostile. It does not appear to me that this block is used in a cultural capacity.

The California Plaza, which I did not mean above is not a beauty either, seen from below, but at least its painted and not raw concrete. Also judging from streetview it is also not very dominant from below, unlike that concrete monstrosity I was talking about.

But it is not only the looks which are terrible, the adjacent Hill Street is on this side basically a completely dead street hardly deserving the label "urban". There is nothing on that side, except for a meadow with trees barely conceiling the concrete monster behind. I know that Downtown LA had a rough time with the gold car age and such but it seems clear to me that this corner needs some major improvment in the long run. It is maybe not the most pressing thing, given how there is still so much to do in Downtown as a whole but its certainly on the To Do list.
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #2691
pesto

Quote:
Buncker Hill is a bigger area. I was talking about the block enclosed by S Olive Street / Hill Street and Angels Flight/4th Street.

This is obviously a hill side location so the other side won't show any exposed garages. But that helps little if this prominent side looks absolutely ugly, brutal and hostile. It does not appear to me that this block is used in a cultural capacity.

The California Plaza, which I did not mean above is not a beauty either, seen from below, but at least its painted and not raw concrete. Also judging from streetview it is also not very dominant from below, unlike that concrete monstrosity I was talking about.

But it is not only the looks which are terrible, the adjacent Hill Street is on this side basically a completely dead street hardly deserving the label "urban". There is nothing on that side, except for a meadow with trees barely conceiling the concrete monster behind. I know that Downtown LA had a rough time with the gold car age and such but it seems clear to me that this corner needs some major improvment in the long run. It is maybe not the most pressing thing, given how there is still so much to do in Downtown as a whole but its certainly on the To Do list.
"Absolutely ugly, brutal and hostile. Terrible. Completely dead street. Monstrous." Please. It's a 3-story concrete wall with holes in it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Le Corbusier or the Brutalists call it a masterpiece.

In any event, it is dwarfed by the towers above it, the colorful Angel's Flight signage and the trees and shrubs on the hillside. In a list of problems that Spring, Broadway, Hill, 4th and adjacent streets have this is way down the list. I have taken Angel's Flight or eaten at GCM or gone to performances at the outdoor theater immediately above probably 100 times and never even noticed it.
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #2692
Slartibartfas

Quote:
"Absolutely ugly, brutal and hostile. Terrible. Completely dead street. Monstrous." Please. It's a 3-story concrete wall with holes in it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Le Corbusier or the Brutalists call it a masterpiece.
Which just confirms my statement as those people were fans of "absolutely ugly brutal and hostile" architecture, not fit for human use.

Quote:
In any event, it is dwarfed by the towers above it, the colorful Angel's Flight signage and the trees and shrubs on the hillside. In a list of problems that Spring, Broadway, Hill, 4th and adjacent streets have this is way down the list. I have taken Angel's Flight or eaten at GCM or gone to performances at the outdoor theater immediately above probably 100 times and never even noticed it.
Then maybe the real impression differs somewhat from those pictures, or you are not very sensitive towards highly exposed brutalist concrete eye sores. In any case, to me the Angels Flight looks like a lovely attraction where you should not look outside the vehicle and beyond the track though as there is really nothing nice to see. I think that is a pity but I can see how Downtown certainly has more important issues than that one.

With the California Plaza on the upper end there is however certainly an interesting destination to go to (not necessarily for the looks but for its function).
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #2693
pesto

Quote:
Which just confirms my statement as those people were fans of "absolutely ugly brutal and hostile" architecture, not fit for human use.

Then maybe the real impression differs somewhat from those pictures, or you are not very sensitive towards highly exposed brutalist concrete eye sores. In any case, to me the Angels Flight looks like a lovely attraction where you should not look outside the vehicle and beyond the track though as there is really nothing nice to see. I think that is a pity but I can see how Downtown certainly has more important issues than that one.

With the California Plaza on the upper end there is however certainly an interesting destination to go to (not necessarily for the looks but for its function).
Well, you seem to be softening a bit but I am still baffled by your vigor and venom. Have you ever actually been there?

The building is polished concrete and not unattractive and has trees and bougainvillea (if I recall correctly) in front of it. Angels' Flight goes right by it and then over Olive up to Grand so this is only a minor part of its trip. Much of the trip (and much of Bunker Hill) is concrete and much of it is stone and other materials. I would not refer to them as brutalist; just concrete.
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #2694
Slartibartfas

To be honest, I am not entirely sure anymore if I saw that splendid view in person. I can't really remember having seen the Angel's Flight in person, I certainly did not ride it, which is a pity. Back when I was in LA they still had the Grand Park under construction though, I saw that I also made sure to make extensive use of the light rail and subway in the little time I had at my disposal there. Sadly again, the Expo line wasn't there yet either.

Downtown LA has great potential I think but at the same time it is still somewhat devastated by a few very destructive decades of car oriented anti-urban planning but that is another story.

If local residents think like you, then its fine, it is you who live there, not me. But in my opinion this block is in many aspects the opposite of what I consider a human scale, attractive urban development. However, as long as there are so many gaping holes in the urban fabric of downtown and other parts with very low density use it is certainly not the biggest issue that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; September 11th, 2017 at 10:36 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 09:08 AM   #2695
pesto

Quote:
To be honest, I am not entirely sure anymore if I saw that splendid view in person. I can't really remember having seen the Angel's Flight in person, I certainly did not ride it, which is a pity. Back when I was in LA they still had the Grand Park under construction though, I saw that I also made sure to make extensive use of the light rail and subway in the little time I had at my disposal there. Sadly again, the Expo line wasn't there yet either.

Downtown LA has great potential I think but at the same time it is still somewhat devastated by a few very destructive decades of car oriented anti-urban planning but that is another story.

If local residents think like you, then its fine, it is you who live there, not me. But in my opinion this block is in many aspects the opposite of what I consider a human scale, attractive urban development. However, as long as there are so many gaping holes in the urban fabric of downtown and other parts with very low density use it is certainly not the biggest issue that needs to be addressed.
This is really confusing. First, this block is wonderfully to human scale. Angels' Flight, GCM and everything along Hill is moderate in size or mediated by bushes and medium sized trees. Olive is effectively underground in this area so the really tall buildings are two blocks away. And they are very nicely mediated as well by sculpture, water features and shorter buildings built around the towers. The new Gehry (Related) project likewise will use offset massing to create human sized spaces (as the Broad, Disney and other buildings have already done).

Second, much of LA is car-oriented but DT LA is about as un-devastated by cars as anywhere in the US. Certainly far less so than, say Manhattan, which has huge avenues with lights timed to allow traffic to move quickly. DT LA has relatively narrow streets with considerable traffic calming, bike lanes, oversized crosswalks, lights set to favor pedestrians, etc. Buses and shuttles are commonplace. The presence of huge numbers of homeless testifies to the extent and safety of sidewalks and the slow speed or absence of traffic. They can live on the sidewalks and stumble across the streets with relative safety.
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #2696
IsaanUSA

Likes (Received): 10

What's with the Amish guys?
IsaanUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #2697
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaanUSA View Post

Saving a quarter each? That makes a dollar.

Or could it be a refusal to ride on power driven vehicles?

Or is it just a barbershop quartet leaving California Plaza?

Babenhausen Süd liked this post
Old September 12th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #2698
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Second, much of LA is car-oriented but DT LA is about as un-devastated by cars as anywhere in the US. Certainly far less so than, say Manhattan, which has huge avenues with lights timed to allow traffic to move quickly.

DT LA has relatively narrow streets with considerable traffic calming, bike lanes, oversized crosswalks, lights set to favor pedestrians, etc. Buses and shuttles are commonplace. The presence of huge numbers of homeless testifies to the extent and safety of sidewalks and the slow speed or absence of traffic. They can live on the sidewalks and stumble across the streets with relative safety.
Downtown LA playing on the same level as Manhattan or even above? Have you been taken me on a ride all along? Or are you indeed seriously?

In any case, I think I have thrown too much off topic stuff into this forum already, let's get back to public transportation.
Old September 13th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #2699
pesto

Quote:
Downtown LA playing on the same level as Manhattan or even above? Have you been taken me on a ride all along? Or are you indeed seriously?

In any case, I think I have thrown too much off topic stuff into this forum already, let's get back to public transportation.
Remember what YOU said and what I said: you said DT LA was destroyed by the car; I said it wasn't AT ALL destroyed by the car but Manhattan has had some damage from cars (enormous, broad avenues carrying multiple lanes of traffic at high speed (when not jammed up). DT LA has none of these. It is not Manhattan by any means but it is quite free of damage from cars.

As for focusing on LA transit, I'm happy to discuss any of the six major rail lines going through DT (Purple, Red, Blue, Expo, Gold north and south) or other transit modalities.

Nouvellecosse, BigB1967 liked this post
Old September 14th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #2700
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaanUSA View Post

Funny you ask. You know, lately we have been getting a lot of Amish visits here in LA. I've seen them in 2 occasions on Hollywood Blvd handing out a music cd out to passers by. And in downtown touristing. I don't know why all of a sudden...they're here.

etooley1985, redspork02 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles