daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #261
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1173

Also wanted to say that the "no food allowed on trains" is hardly unique. DC didn't allow food either, and I even once got yelled at for having my feet up on the seat across from me on the Denver light rail (on an empty train). They gotta keep the trains clean somehow.

And lastly; LA used to be one of the public transit Mecas of this country before the 50's. It took 50 years to become the monster it is now, and it will probably take another 50 years to build its mass transit infrastructure back up to its former glory

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #262
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

^ More like 30 years.
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #263
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Booze is fine I assume 'in the land of the free'? It is a infringment on your human rights if you cannot drink and eat on public transport.

You could understand smoking, but what is wrong with food and drink?
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #264
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder View Post
Booze is fine I assume 'in the land of the free'? It is a infringment on your human rights if you cannot drink and eat on public transport.

Rats, mice and cockroaches (among other things) on trains.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #265
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:

I think the Bay Area's BART has a similar restriction on food and drink. In their case (as I think in most others) it's to cut down on potential messes on their vehicles as they are upholstered making spills more noticeable and harder to clean. I was on a BART train once with someone eating on board and an announcement was made on the PA about no eating. Apparently the guy was caught by the security camera on board.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #266
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

so are the expansions of the network going to happen or is it under construction?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #267
salaverryo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewville View Post
I didn't even know LA had a metro.
I didn't even know San Antonio was in the USA. I thought it was a Mexican town.
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #268
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7271

Quote:

Open container laws prohibit it anyway. Besides, having alcohol on public transport could violate health and safety regulations because binge drinking on trains can pose danger to other passengers.
geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #269
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson View Post
Given the density of that statement I think you should consider removing that post.

I have lived full time in the former borough of York since 1997.

I can't fathom why you may think you know something about the place that I do not.

Don't feel insulted though, its not like I have it set as my location.
Why is it dense? Are you going to tell me that Los Angeles Metro isn't dense? It's just not true.

As for the route, Wilshire all the way with a connection via La Cienega. I really don't know about the diversion to The Grove, I'm not really sure if it's really worth it.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #270
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
But the highest density in Canada is Vancouver (the City). The downtown Peninsula is the highest density population in North America (more than Manhattan Island per square kilometre).
Does your abundant type of a Canadian citizen ever stop to consider your potentially embarassing the remainder of your comarades with stupid We-have-arrived! remarks like that?

The exponential increase of Canadians supposing declarations of some far-out-there claim to fame fair enough to be sharing on the pages here is... ... ...plain stupid. At this rate, it's gonna take the umpteenth generation of Canadians subsequent to my own to become genuinely cool...

Get your life back, coz its right trashy to be littering these pages here with its minimal residue, silly!

Meanwhile, I'd probably consign you to some dreary career in American advertising were it possible...

I beg your pardon, the remainder of you Los-Angeles-metro contributors here -- allow me to try to
rerail your discussion

Last edited by trainrover; June 12th, 2008 at 11:29 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #271
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
so are the expansions of the network going to happen or is it under construction?
The Gold Line Eastside Extension and Expo Line (Phase One) are under construction and will be completed in 2009 and 2010, respectively. They will add an additional 14.6 miles to the Metro Rail system.
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #272
Homer J. Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Why is it dense? Are you going to tell me that Los Angeles Metro isn't dense? It's just not true.

As for the route, Wilshire all the way with a connection via La Cienega. I really don't know about the diversion to The Grove, I'm not really sure if it's really worth it.
I think you missed the point.

My original point in this thread was that the LA metro underperforms in ridership and was looking for some speculation on that point. Instead someone made the claim that one city was denser than LA which is when I pointed out that the difference is not that great and that there must be a better answer than that.

At this point the whole conversation is just LIT.
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #273
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

The difference is that we need more rail lines. The better transfers we have the higher the ridership will be. The numbers in 2010 should be much higher across the board compared to now because of the Eastside Extension and the opening of Expo Phase I.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #274
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I think the Bay Area's BART has a similar restriction on food and drink. In their case (as I think in most others) it's to cut down on potential messes on their vehicles as they are upholstered making spills more noticeable and harder to clean. I was on a BART train once with someone eating on board and an announcement was made on the PA about no eating. Apparently the guy was caught by the security camera on board.
In Boston, most major stations have a Dunkin Donuts or other vendor.

Mass transit systems should ALWAYS allow food. You want people out of their cars, and sticking in restrictions such as no food or drinks will turn people away. You can drink coffee in your car while driving to work, why not in the subway?

And Ive never seen food or drink being a problem in Boston. Theres the occasional abandoned Mcdonalds bag, but free newspapers are the more frequent litter.
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #275
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

If the combined subway alternative is built, how would the trains run? Santa Monica to Union Station, Union Station to North Hollywood and North Hollywood to Santa Monica would be my guess, but that would entail half-as-frequent service at the core of the network, which seems strange to me.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #276
DENTROBATE54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Also wanted to say that the "no food allowed on trains" is hardly unique. DC didn't allow food either, and I even once got yelled at for having my feet up on the seat across from me on the Denver light rail (on an empty train). They gotta keep the trains clean somehow.

And lastly; LA used to be one of the public transit Mecas of this country before the 50's. It took 50 years to become the monster it is now, and it will probably take another 50 years to build its mass transit infrastructure back up to its former glory
It's impolite for to eat on the trains for sure, but if my life depened on it (i.e. I haven't eaten in nine hours as a dash-through-the-front-door-without-breakfast morning rush permits) I won't be afraid to snack on a granola bar or chips on-board to get me by. These transit police sometimes do go too far though. The sloven pig *******s that deliberately leave food waste on the seats are the minority, most decent people that unwrap food wait til the nearest garbage can to dispose of their trash.

The putting up legs thing, I do that myself, but only when the train's going through a less dense area. The closer to downtown we head, more peeps so I act accordingly .

Your sentiments about LA's metro reflects those of mine for Toronto's network. Our's is the largest metro in Canada yet it's difficult in many instances to get where you want to go via a subway. Irregularly scheduled buses and streetcars have to pick up the slack, meaning one's always going to show up late for work or classes no matter how much in advance one starts their commute. It's just terrible. We need like 3 new metro lines (DRL, Queen, Eglinton) and extensions to our present lines before we can say our system is satisfactory (approx. 150kms new ROW).
DENTROBATE54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:37 AM   #277
salaverryo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post

Mass transit systems should ALWAYS allow food. You want people out of their cars, and sticking in restrictions such as no food or drinks will turn people away. You can drink coffee in your car while driving to work, why not in the subway?
Because your car belongs to you, but the subway does not. For the same reason that you can smoke in your house but not in a restaurant.
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:21 AM   #278
Daguy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
Because your car belongs to you, but the subway does not. For the same reason that you can smoke in your house but not in a restaurant.
Dude that's a bit of a stretch. The idea behind preventing people from smoking in an enclosed area to for the safety of the non-smoking public's health. Nobody's going to get sick from me eating my lunch, no matter how messy I am.
Daguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:11 AM   #279
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy
Nobody's going to get sick from me eating my lunch, no matter how messy I am.
Sure, but who wants to sit in your seat if you spill liquid all over it? I sure as hell don't. And who has to clean it up? Well, you don't have to, but nobody gets to sit there until it is, and it makes extra work for maintenance staff. And what about people who accidentally become victims of these messes? Who pays to clean their clothes for them?

Plus, it's not a matter of getting sick, it's a matter of hygiene and being respectful to others. Just think of grabbing a pole and finding out it's greasy because someone was eating a hamburger or something and didn't wipe their hands properly. It's disgusting. Seriously, transit vehicles in other parts of the world wouldn't last more than a week in any major US city before they were scratched up, trashed, and covered in some unidentifiable residue because Americans are slobs and lack a sense of social etiquette (and that's coming from an American).
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:55 AM   #280
DENTROBATE54
BANNED

Strong post quashlo! This is what I was getting at. While I feel it should be my right and priviledge that the seat I paid for for my travels should be an impromptu place where I can snack on something light, it's the sloven uncaring hoggish people that makes it look bad for the rest of us casual eaters.

Anyone who's brought a boxed lunch or a McDonald's, is it really necessary to let it all hang out for other passengers to be disturbed by it? Some people may have food allergies whereby the whiff of an odour may send them into shock. Some foods carry a repungant odour too that's offensive (dorian, sauerkraut, curried foods) that you might want to wait til you're out of the transit network to sit down properly and consume.

What I'm for though is being allowed to eat on-the-go foods (granola bars, chips, gum, bite-sized biscuits, candies and chocolates; sealable soda bottles, coffee cups) on the trains. Anything heavier than a sandwich wrap or pizza slice (eaten from within container) should be put off til later. I don't however think it's the transit operator's place to tell its riders something as draconian as "no eating". People who don't have the time to make a proper breakfast before leaving home, probably don't have the time to stop by a coffee shop on the way into work. The time on the train might be the only oppurtunity one has to eat before lunchtime, likely 1 o'clock in the afternoon.

I see all the time people smoking on subway premises without the TTC so much as bat an eyelash, even when I spotted TTC personnel nearby the smoker. We can surely strike a balance between personal hygiene, sanitation and the vital bodily function of ingestion .
DENTROBATE54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles