daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM   #281
Daguy

Likes (Received): 0

The point I was trying to make was that eating isn't analagous to smoking. I'm not a messy eater, and I eat all the time on the Skytrain without any problems.
Daguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:45 AM   #282
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
It's disgusting. Seriously, transit vehicles in other parts of the world wouldn't last more than a week in any major US city before they were scratched up, trashed, and covered in some unidentifiable residue because Americans are slobs and lack a sense of social etiquette (and that's coming from an American).
Thats extremely ignorant.

Transit vehicles in europe are usually trashed with garbage graffiti and slashed seats.

Meanwhile, if a train in Boston is tagged, its pulled from service.
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 02:58 AM   #283
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8792

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
Thats extremely ignorant.

Transit vehicles in europe are usually trashed with garbage graffiti and slashed seats.

Meanwhile, if a train in Boston is tagged, its pulled from service.
Since when?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:01 AM   #284
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1173

Quote:
Seriously, transit vehicles in other parts of the world wouldn't last more than a week in any major US city before they were scratched up, trashed, and covered in some unidentifiable residue because Americans are slobs and lack a sense of social etiquette (and that's coming from an American).
Berlin: http://youtube.com/watch?v=137u8RoNMJI&feature=related
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM   #285
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

San Francisco Muni:

I'm not trying to say that all non-American systems are completely spotless or vandalism-free... But if you take an average vehicle from a large non-American transit system and an average vehicle from a comparable US system, I would be shocked if the American vehicle was cleaner (with respect to everything, including trash, food, vandalism). Mass transit is for moving people, not for providing a place to eat. I'll leave it at that, as I've strayed too far off topic already... Sorry to the LA Metro folks.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #286
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Likes (Received): 4

A good idea of what Los Angeles public transit might look like in 2030:

http://www.sfcityscape.com/
LAmarODom420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #287
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Having the Long Beach (Blue) Line, the Expo Line, and the Crenshaw Line all use the same tracks through downtown Los Angeles has the potential to create a light rail traffic jam. A second route through downtown might be needed.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #288
darkkiller145
El Dominiyol

Likes (Received): 0

it looks nice but it seems that they should build more rail lines, not all area of la r covered here.
darkkiller145 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #289
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

there is a prop on the Nov ballot that would increase the sales tax to 8.75% from 8.35% that would raise about 40 billion dollars over 20 years and that would fund all those lines in the map along with a few more that were not included. It would also improve some highways and other infastructure. Really a huge huge deal for the LA area and it could change Los Angeles monumentally. It has a decent chance of passing, but the threshold is 67% of voters must approve and it becomes difficult because the rural areas of LA and the conservative suburbs will be mostly against it. We shall hope and see that this passes and if it does, you will see LA become a lot more like Tokyo and a lot less like other sunbelt cities.

Also, ridership is up sharply again and i think we are over 350,000 daily boardings.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #290
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmarODom420 View Post
Aren't there more chances of seeing the Crenshaw Line going on his way towards Wilshire rather than Downtown?

On another note, it's a shame that the Green Line doesn't reach Norwalk Metrolink station yet.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #291
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanico View Post
Aren't there more chances of seeing the Crenshaw Line going on his way towards Wilshire rather than Downtown?

On another note, it's a shame that the Green Line doesn't reach Norwalk Metrolink station yet.
Yes I believe this map hasn't been completely updated for new proposals. The most recent proposals do have the Crenshaw Line going up towards Wilshire. Also I believe it is highly likely by 2030 the Green Line will be extended to the Norwalk Metrolink. It also lacks the Pink Line from Hollywood and Highland to the Purple Line which I imagine will be a high priority.
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #292
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Why the heck does it need a 2/3rd majority? I mean that's going to always be difficult to attain no matter what the issue is.
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #293
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8792

Why would there be so much light rail in a city the size of LA? I would have thought that an underground metro would be more appropriate.

Also, as Jarbury states, it seems like a 2/3 majority would be difficult to obtain.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #294
LosAngelesSportsFan

the 2/3rds majority is a stupid california rule regarding propositions to pass. really is ridiculous and has killed many other worthy propositions in years past as well. it also applies to the California high speed rail as well if i am not mistaken.

This could be a token year for California's major cities and rail transit. If both these props pass, LA will be a totally changed city and metro in less than 10 years. We would add at least 75 miles of mass transit to the city and then some with CAHSR. i hope to God it passes. The reason for so much LRT is because of the costs.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #295
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

wow man impressive heck yes i hope it happens man i cannot wait for a new LA to rise up.

the age of Rail Transit is coming back to california heck yes.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #296
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmarODom420 View Post

http://www.sfcityscape.com/
Isn't the Century Line suppose to be The Green Line? Also how accurate is this map?
Old September 9th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #297
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern~Fern* View Post
Isn't the Century Line suppose to be The Green Line? Also how accurate is this map?
For whatever reasons, the lines are given geographical names instead of the more common color names. Maybe because the map was made by a San Francisco group. While you can quibble with some of the predictions, the map itself is accurate.
Old October 8th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #298
LosAngelesSportsFan

Here's a breakdown of what Measure R will fund for LA. Follow the link for details and breakdowns.

here is the very informative link, http://www.metro.net/measurer/default.asp

The LA County bond is HUGE, HUGE, HUGE. it will increase the sales tax from 8.25 to 8.75 for 30 years and will fund 30 - 40 Billion in rail and highway improvements in Los Angeles County. Also, we will get state and federal match money for this bond, so it will fund other projects as well.

some projects to be funded include

Rail Expansion

1) Purple line subway extension from its current terminus on mid wilshire to Westwood, hitting Miracle Mile, Beverly Hills, West LA, Westwood, UCLA, and Museum Row. Eventual extension to Santa Monica
2) Downtown Connector Subway, connecting the 4 light rail lines in Downtown as well as Union Station to 7th street metro station with new stations scattered around Downtown LA
3) Expo phase 2, culver city to Santa Monica
4) Green Line extensions to LAX as well as Norwalk Metrolink Station
5) Crenshaw north/south subway, huge link for the system
6) 405 parallel line, most likely a subway linking the valley to LAX with connections to the Purple line at UCLA, Expo line at Santa Monica, Green Line and Crenshaw line at LAX.
7) Numerous Valley busways
8) Metrolink improvements
9) Gold Line Eastside phase 2 extension
10) Gold Line Foothill extensions

Street Improvements

1) Street Synchronization
2) Major Street and pothole repair
3) Bicycle and pedestrian improvements

Highway Improvements

1) Numerous freeway improvements on the 5, 110, 134, 14, 605, 710, 138, 101, 91 freeways
2) Tunnel under South Pasadena finally linking the 710 to the 210 closing a huge gap in the system

Other

1) Millions in bus system improvements
2) no fare increases for years
3) Job Stimulation
4) County wide soundwalls

Clearly, this is a very important decision for the future of LA. this will only cost about 25 dollars a year per person. It should be a no brainer, but we shall see.
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #299
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

Sounds like a heck of a lot is on the table there in LA.

Out of curiosity why was that law against using tax dollars on subway tunnels even proposed and who supported such a boondoggle of an idea?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #300
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1179

Quote:
San Francisco Muni:

Why aren't these kids fined and put in jail?? And why don't other passengers stop them?

That is absolutely disgraceful.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles