daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #301
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

western superior cultur
sarbaze tabarestan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #302
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizzyChris View Post
Why aren't these kids fined and put in jail?? And why don't other passengers stop them?

That is absolutely disgraceful.
In a society full of guns..... it is usually unwise to confront a shifty character for you never know for certain what is in their waist band.

Some years ago in Chicago my old man and I were on the EL when some little bugger was causing trouble.

My dad decided to speak up for the person the guy was accosting and he pulled a knife on my dad. Thankfully it did not escalate from there.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #303
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson View Post
In a society full of guns..... it is usually unwise to confront a shifty character for you never know for certain what is in their waist band.

Some years ago in Chicago my old man and I were on the EL when some little bugger was causing trouble.

My dad decided to speak up for the person the guy was accosting and he pulled a knife on my dad. Thankfully it did not escalate from there.
This is what happens when only criminals have guns and the laws make it impossible for law-abiding citizens to carry guns around.

Quote:
Out of curiosity why was that law against using tax dollars on subway tunnels even proposed and who supported such a boondoggle of an idea?
There were a lot of problems during the Red Line construction. We had a sinkhole in Hollywood, cost overruns, and the tunneling sometimes missed the station. Then there were problems with the tracks and people spewing nonsense about tunnels being unsafe during earthquakes got louder and louder. Eventually it made the Red Line very unpopular so a country politician put up that measure which would bar any future sales tax monies from being spent on any subway in LA County. This effectively killed the Red Line Extension which would have gone into East LA (now being replaced by a light-rail line with a pretty good underground section) and is why we have only again started talking about a subway under Wilshire this year.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #304
Homer J. Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
This is what happens when only criminals have guns and the laws make it impossible for law-abiding citizens to carry guns around.
Please tell me that this is a joke.

You must be kidding.

In the US more people (good or bad) have guns than any wealth country. The laws on their use are less strict than any other wealthy developed country as well.

By your logic, the US should be the safest place. Reality though does not match that by a long shot.

More guns and weapons do not make a place safe.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #305
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post

There were a lot of problems during the Red Line construction. We had a sinkhole in Hollywood, cost overruns, and the tunneling sometimes missed the station. Then there were problems with the tracks and people spewing nonsense about tunnels being unsafe during earthquakes got louder and louder. Eventually it made the Red Line very unpopular so a country politician put up that measure which would bar any future sales tax monies from being spent on any subway in LA County. This effectively killed the Red Line Extension which would have gone into East LA (now being replaced by a light-rail line with a pretty good underground section) and is why we have only again started talking about a subway under Wilshire this year.
But cost overruns, sinkholes and misalignment are common problems with subway construction. There must have been something else going on. Were there fears of increased crime or lowered property value?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #306
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

If I were that bus driver I probably would have taken a detour to the closest police station. You know, the guys with those horrible guns.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #307
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
But cost overruns, sinkholes and misalignment are common problems with subway construction. There must have been something else going on. Were there fears of increased crime or lowered property value?
There's a lot of fossil fuel under LA. Just look at the La Brea tar pits. I think there was a time when a pocket of methane was hit or something. Maybe that caused some fears.
Old October 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #308
milwaukee-københavn

Likes (Received): 5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Red_Line_(LACMTA) : There were a couple of major accidents during Blue Line construction, including a methane explosion that injured 24 at a department store: http://www.laweekly.com/2005-08-18/n...-subway-mayor/ .
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:26 AM   #309
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

There were no problems that I know of with Blue Line Construction. Plenty with the Red Line. And yes, I did forget to mention the methane gas explosion. That had happened long before the law was passed though.

There were plenty of NIMBY rumors and yes, fears of declining property values. Eventually the public got fed up and decided that they wanted no more subways. The famous "subways were made for vertical cities of the 20th century" argument.

Homer J. Simpson, there's plenty of evidence that when you loosen gun control laws that violent crime goes down, way down.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old October 11th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #310
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

If the citizens of LA doesn't vote for Measure R, than they deserve to be trapped in endless traffic jams.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #311
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:

You must be kidding.

In the US more people (good or bad) have guns than any wealth country. The laws on their use are less strict than any other wealthy developed country as well.

By your logic, the US should be the safest place. Reality though does not match that by a long shot.

More guns and weapons do not make a place safe.
No, what makes a place unsafe are idiots who can get guns inapropriately and dont know how to use or respect a firearm. Many people carry guns responsibly, however these dumbasses deserve to shoot themselves in the face for what they do.

However, this is the wrong forum for a gun rights discussion. You can continue to laugh at conservatisim and in the face of gun rights, and conservatives will continue to laugh at you but when the shit hits the fan, its the conservatives who rescue the libs from shit hitting the fan.

Sorry bout that... there are few things i hate more than people who think they know everything.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #312
Daguy

Likes (Received): 0

I know this will continue to go off topic but I just want to say then you're right, a few bad apples with guns cause the problem. With that in mind, guns are not a good thing for the public to have in general, cause a few bad apples are enough to make them unsafe. No matter what you do you will have individuals who do not know how to deal with owning firearms. It's better off that almost no one has them.
Daguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:38 PM   #313
salaverryo
BANNED

Quote:

You must be kidding.

Gun laws in the US are less strict with regards to owning guns & keeping them at home to protect your property. What you cannot do is carry guns with you at all times. This requires a very special permit. Of course criminals do it, but then if they get caught they go straight to jail, just for gun posession.
salaverryo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #314
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
You can continue to laugh at conservatisim and in the face of gun rights, and conservatives will continue to laugh at you but when the shit hits the fan, its the conservatives who rescue the libs from shit hitting the fan.
Conservative governance has ruined the economy and environment but we all have guns so we can kill ourselves when things get bad enough.

When have conservatives saved liberals? That is an absurd statement. It's not as if conservatives and liberals wear uniforms identifying themselves.

Are you one of those conspiracy militia nuts that think a New World Order is nigh upon us and that a shotgun is going to save you from the black helicopters?
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #315
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daguy View Post

I know this will continue to go off topic but I just want to say then you're right, a few bad apples with guns cause the problem. With that in mind, guns are not a good thing for the public to have in general, cause a few bad apples are enough to make them unsafe. No matter what you do you will have individuals who do not know how to deal with owning firearms. It's better off that almost no one has them.
So then why take away guns from the people who can use them for self-defense? The criminals will always find a way to get their guns.

Old October 14th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #316
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

OMG people, Los Angeles metro please!
Old October 14th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #317
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
OMG people, Los Angeles metro please!
Huh?

Old October 15th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #318
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Back on topic request.
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:18 AM   #319
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

enough! lets talk about proposals and rail lines! Measure R might be the most important proposition in Los Angeles history.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #320
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Measure R needs 2/3rds support to pass. with about 20% reporting, it has a 65 - 35 lead. its close. hopefully the precincts left are from LA City!!
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles