daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #341
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

u are spending 12 billion us dollars a month
this is unimagible!u are the richest country in the world but u have the infrastructure of a developing country!
sarbaze tabarestan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #342
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

dont rub it in. you dont think we know that? our government has neglected our cities and infrastructure for a long time, but that it changing in a big way.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #343
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Far out, $12 billion a month. You'd have funded a massive metro for LA in 3 months... 3 months!!!!!
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #344
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

^LOL no kidding.

We have a far reaching plan just like this one in the GTA that is set to cost something like $50 Billion CDN. With that amount of money we could have our 30 year plan financed in just 4 months! or 90 times faster than what we are going to at the best projections.

There is though a silver lining within this thread and that is the already serious investment in transit in LA. I am just a bit jealous actually.
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:46 AM   #345
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

OK i have to give everyone homework. Read the constitution. The federal governments job is not to fund local tranist projects. Its to regulate interstate commerce, and the only thing that really means it gets to do is build rail between states and build the interstate system. Thats it. Local governements are supposed to build local projects.

Dont blame the feds, there helping you as a favor.

I will really start to celebrate when ground breaks on the purple line, red line extensions into the valley and ridership starts to rise.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:57 AM   #346
jarbury
Resident Planner

I was just using that as an example of the crazy amount that is spent on military in the USA. And how a tiny fraction of the defence budget could be used to improve public transportation enormously.
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #347
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
I was just using that as an example of the crazy amount that is spent on military in the USA. And how a tiny fraction of the defence budget could be used to improve public transportation enormously.
The feds job is to maintain the military not maintian the roads (except the interstate system which i will admit there doing a crappy job on). But for those who like to crunch numbers, the defence budget consists of only 1/4th the national budget (nasa for some reason is included in the DOD cut... i dont get that one). over half the budget goes to social security, and that does not include payouts from the social security trust fund. So yeah.... maybe people like robert redford, or dick cheny, or john mccain can send their Soc Sec checks to the FTF, that way i can still keep ammo for my gun so haggi dont kill me and not have to sit with my car idling half the time trying to get from the beach to downtown or the valley.

I do wish there was enough cash to go around and get everything done. I just wish they would build a frikkin rail link over suplvida instead of some double decker death trap.... but thats a different subject all together.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #348
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7310

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
The feds job is to maintain the military not maintian the roads (except the interstate system which i will admit there doing a crappy job on). But for those who like to crunch numbers, the defence budget consists of only 1/4th the national budget (nasa for some reason is included in the DOD cut... i dont get that one). over half the budget goes to social security, and that does not include payouts from the social security trust fund. So yeah.... maybe people like robert redford, or dick cheny, or john mccain can send their Soc Sec checks to the FTF, that way i can still keep ammo for my gun so haggi dont kill me and not have to sit with my car idling half the time trying to get from the beach to downtown or the valley.

I do wish there was enough cash to go around and get everything done. I just wish they would build a frikkin rail link over suplvida instead of some double decker death trap.... but thats a different subject all together.
Still, it's $439.3bn per annum. Would getting rid of 1% ($4.393bn) really make much of a difference? Think about how much that could help infrastructure.
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #349
urgel23

Likes (Received): 16

http://www.cityrailtransit.com/timel...s_timeline.htm
urgel23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #350
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Still, it's $439.3bn per annum. Would getting rid of 1% ($4.393bn) really make much of a difference? Think about how much that could help infrastructure.
It could help infastructure a whole lot. But that money also goes to make sure i have body armor. I wish the military would streamline though, but if we could get the feds to streamline operations im willing to bet my pride that we could find a trillion dollars to reduce in taxes or invest in infastructure (as much as i dont think thats the feds job)
Old November 27th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #351
jarbury
Resident Planner

I think the point is that it SHOULD be the job of the feds. Generally central government does have the money, whilst regional and local governments scramble after every cent (especially as they can't borrow as easily as central govt). So it makes sense for their to be a subsidy of some sorts, particularly when interstates that run through cities (and therefore basically act like local roads) get subsidised.
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #352
matthewcs

Likes (Received): 2

North America (Canada and US; sorry Mexico) is structured differently. In both countries, it's the local levels that collect most of the money. The Fed's are usually broke. Long list of reasons why it was done this way....

I love the LA Metro, even if it doesn't go where I need...
matthewcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM   #353
Homer J. Simpson

^Um in Canada until just recently the Federal Government ran huge surpluses and municipal governments have been dead broke for more than a decade.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:43 AM   #354
jarbury
Resident Planner

Furthermore, central government can borrow way easier than local governments. You don't see US states with a $10 trillion debt.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 04:58 AM   #355
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Quote:
Furthermore, central government can borrow way easier than local governments. You don't see US states with a $10 trillion debt.
you sure you live in california?
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM   #356
jarbury
Resident Planner

I don't live in California, I live in New Zealand. I know California has racked up big debts before, but it hasn't got away with it as much as the Federal Government has.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:25 AM   #357
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Quote:
I don't live in California, I live in New Zealand. I know California has racked up big debts before, but it hasn't got away with it as much as the Federal Government has.
the federal government has more leverage AKA THE FUTURES OF EVERY AMERICAN EVER. The states dont have nearly that kind of bargianing power because they require that we pay off the feds first. Thats why things like measure R pass for transit, so more local funds can be made available. Thats the idea behind federalism (even our bastardised version of federalism we have now)>

Also the reason the feds pay for interstates was at the time of the inception of the interstate system (and this is still the case today) interstate highways MUST be able to handle a 4 mile long military convoy, and the feds can say whatever time and distance they want on federal interstates. Thats why the feds fund them even though they become local thruways. The feds cant carry soldiers on the subway (although that would be interesting to charge in front of congress since thats one of the many reasons the feds chip in for the DC metro).

now yall got me thinking.

Write your congressman. CONNECT LA RAIL TO MILITARY BASES SO EVEN CONSERVATIVES HAVE NO REASON TO DERAIL IT.

HAHA.

Ok.... long shift tonight... sleepy time for the soldier.

May the next time im LA i not need a car, amen.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #358
matthewcs

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson View Post
^Um in Canada until just recently the Federal Government ran huge surpluses and municipal governments have been dead broke for more than a decade.
Sorry, I tried to draw to firm a parallel btw Canada and the US that did not exist. I did not mean municipal govts, but rather provincial ones. I don't know the legal status of muni's in the US (I suspect it varies state-to-state).

Anyways, states and provinces bare most of the fiscal burden, both in expenses and income.

Off topic.
matthewcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM   #359
hoosier

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
It could help infastructure a whole lot. But that money also goes to make sure i have body armor. I wish the military would streamline though, but if we could get the feds to streamline operations im willing to bet my pride that we could find a trillion dollars to reduce in taxes or invest in infastructure (as much as i dont think thats the feds job)
If we hadn;t invaded Iraq you wouldn't need body armor, which the government didn't even provide to soldiers initially. Families had to hold ******* bake sales to raise enough money to buy armor!!

Tons of federal money is wasted on useless fancy weapons systems and no bid contracts.

SOcial secuirty has a separate, dedicated funding source. It's trust fund has been raided by presidents several times to avoid having to raise taxes.

If you want infrastructure to be a state/local issue, prepare to have your taxes SKYROCKET, because those governments don't have near enough money to maintain it.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #360
Homer J. Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcs View Post
Sorry, I tried to draw to firm a parallel btw Canada and the US that did not exist. I did not mean municipal govts, but rather provincial ones. I don't know the legal status of muni's in the US (I suspect it varies state-to-state).

Anyways, states and provinces bare most of the fiscal burden, both in expenses and income.

Off topic.
It is not entirely off topic.

Well what happened in Canada was that the Federal government offloaded a lot of costs onto Provincial governments in order to engineer surpluses. In Ontario's case, they then did the same thing in response to the downloading and put social welfare costs down to municipalities. So what happened in effect was that the upper levels of government were not interested in paying for programs so they forced them on towns and cities and halted spending on transit that was becoming increasingly needed.

It appears that at least California is recognizing that they need to push forward with progress on this front and are actually doing something.

Tags
los angeles