daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #21
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
IMO this is a pretty pathetic solution for a city such as Los Angeles. Just spend the money building actual subways versus expanding the freeways!

the problem is that many people dont want to leave the freeways

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #22
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoGuy
the problem is that many people dont want to leave the freeways
one could argue they do not want to leave because their is no alternative.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:04 AM   #23
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind
wow this is very disappointing, I was under the impression that the yellow line would be another light rail line..not a right of way for rapid bus transit.

la get your act together and extend that red line!!!
You haven't heard about ban on red line extansion since 1998 but it will be expire in 2008 or so.
VansTripp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #24
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lover
You haven't heard about ban on red line extansion since 1998 but it will be expire in 2008 or so.
I knew about that, but I didn't know about the specific details or the cause of the ban

I just think either the red line extension or the construction of another heavy rail mass transit line would serve Los Angeles better. (there is no reason that over 4 million people should have only 1 subway line in their city and "light rail" lines)

has there every been any thought of turning some of the Light rail lines that have at grade crossings into el's?
Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #25
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind
I knew about that, but I didn't know about the specific details or the cause of the ban

I just think either the red line extension or the construction of another heavy rail mass transit line would serve Los Angeles better. (there is no reason that over 4 million people should have only 1 subway line in their city and "light rail" lines)

has there every been any thought of turning some of the Light rail lines that have at grade crossings into el's?
I think that LA don't need to followed with their culture like in Chicago, NYC, London, Tokyo, Mexico CIty and more cities that have largest transit mass. I have no problem to driving around LA, just get better deal with gas price and auto insurance.
VansTripp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #26
squeemu

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
While that is part of it (I would definitely drive less if mass transit was better here) a large part of it is the mentality of people in Southern California. I read an article once that had it right. It said that while people in some cities want more rail lines so they don't have to drive as much, people in Los Angeles want more rail lines so the people in the car in front of them don't drive as much. That mindset is unfortunately part of what is keeping ridership down on the lines that do exist, and is keeping other lines from being built.
squeemu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #27
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I don't know if just building a subway is the right way either. Some of the routes aren't doing that well, apparently, the Gold line in Pasadena, apparently.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #28
squeemu

Part of the reason that the Goldline isn't doing well is that it goes so SLOW through some parts. It takes 34 minutes to get to union station, when in reality it should take closer to 25 or even 20 minutes. Plus, its ridership is increasing...18,000 boardings a day is much better than what it was at a year ago.
squeemu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #29
PotatoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeemu
While that is part of it (I would definitely drive less if mass transit was better here) a large part of it is the mentality of people in Southern California. I read an article once that had it right. It said that while people in some cities want more rail lines so they don't have to drive as much, people in Los Angeles want more rail lines so the people in the car in front of them don't drive as much. That mindset is unfortunately part of what is keeping ridership down on the lines that do exist, and is keeping other lines from being built.
LOL yes!!! thats the reason!
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #30
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Why is the Gold line taking so slow then?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #31
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Why is the Gold line taking so slow then?
Part of the reason for the slow speed of the gold line is the lack of grade separation. According to the following website, there are 26 grade crossings along the 13.7 mile route:

http://kiewit.com/southerncalifornia...o_2000026.html

There have been many complaints regarding noise from the Gold Line, especially in South Pasadena. Residents have asked that that the warning bells on the crossing gates and train horns be made quieter and that the speed of the trains be reduced.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #32
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

A bus? Come on they should have at least done light rail. Disappointing.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #33
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:

That's true. Here in Austin, TX I would gladly take a train to work and a train down to 6th street on the weekend if it was, fast, efficient and can get me to where I want to without walking far. I don't want to walk 1 mile in the heat to get to the train station if it's not close to my destination.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:52 AM   #34
odegaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe
I think they shouldve splurged on light rail to be honest, a bus is a bus is a bus. Anyway definitely good news for LA, this is probably the most advanced bus line in North America.
Considering the sorry financial order California is in right now LA is lucky to even get a new bus system. If California was an independant nation their bonds would of been downgraded to "junk status" and an IMF bailout would be requested.
odegaard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:50 AM   #35
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

KTLA has a news story (October 25th) on whether it is safe - includes good footage of the route:

http://ktla.trb.com/
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #36
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

ok, here is some info for everyone.

The orange line is from the end of the red line to warner center in the valley. it does not have the justified boardings per day to be a rail line yet, but there are plans in the future to turn this into a LRT when its justified.

There are other LRT's under construction right now in LA.

The Gold Line east extension is a 7 mile extension that is u/c and goes from Union Station in Downtown, through Little Tokyo, and to east LA. 2.5 miles of this is underground and daily boardings for this segment are expected at roughly 40,000, although i think that might be a little low. Expected finish is 2009.

The Expo line will start construction next year and will eventually go from DT LA to Santa Monica, paralleling the 10 freeway corridor. The first phase will go from the 7th street metro station, down the blue line tracks for a mile or so and then head towards USC and exposition blvd. This is an abandoned ROW and hits MAJOR points, specifically USC and EXPO park which includes about 5 - 7 major museums and of course the Colosium as well as the under construction Galen Center, a 10,500 seat arena for USC on figueroa BLVD. From USC/EXPO, it heads towards Culver city and then to Santa Monica and third street. This first segment will be done in 2009/2010 and wil have daily boardings of around 50,000 and will be to Santa Monica by 2013/2014 with daily boardings similar to the Blue Line (which is the busiest LRT in the country at 78,000 daily boardings).

The Gold line foothill extension is a 24 mile extension from the current terminus in Pasadena to montclair and San Bernardino county. It will go throught he San gabriel Valley and has already affected communities there, which are building TOD's as well as other developments in those areas. Dont know how many boardings this will add.

Future Rail in LA

Red line extension down Wilshire to Santa Monica, possibly connecting with the Expo Line in SM. This will probably a top 3 rail line in ridreship in the country rather easily, considering there are roughly 90,000 daily bus boardings in this area and the red line currently sees a daily boardings number of 120,000. This line will hit the office buildings, UCLA (The largest contributor to traffic in LA in Volume), numerous Museums, Beverly Hills, the Ocean, Westwood, etc etc etc. Steam is picking up and the Subway ban (no local money can be used for subways) may be challenged soon and the ban in the area for subways because of methane will be reversed as soon as local reps can convince henry Waxman to overturn the law. A methane explosion during contruction in the 80's prompted waxman to ban all subways in the area for fear of more expolsions and he has refused to overturn it because his constituants didnt want the "other' people in the area. now everyone wants the subway, hell even Beverly Hills was begging for it recently so it will be overturned. This was one of Mayor Villaraigrosas promises, to get this thing going, and i expect it to be under construction no later than 2011.

Green Line extension to LAX, which is in the LAX remodel plan will extend this line to LAX which is about a mile or so from the current terminus and then north to ther beach cities as well as another extension from the southern terminus. the Green line is a LRT witha bout 40,000 daily boardings.

LAX to Union Station direct line

This is a direct subway link that would connect LAX to Union Statio. This is a ways off.

Downtown Connector

A very important 3 miles or so of subway connections from 7th street metro to Union station to the Grand Ave area that will allow the Blue and Gold lines to mix and will allow for one seat rides from one end of the Gold line to Long beach and visa verca, as well as creating stations in Downtown LA that are booming allowing for connections between the Staples Center area (called South Park, huge residental boom with 30 or so residential towers going up as well as LA live, the mega billion dollar entertainment complex, not to mention Staples Center and the Convention center), the Grand Ave area (Disney Hall,t he music center adn the @ billion dollar grand ave project, as well as city hall and other major attractions), and the Historic Core. This will hopefully be built along with Expo part two,a s the resurgance of DT has spurred more interest and will to get this done. hopefully y 2012 - 2014 and will add thousands of new boardings.

Few others in the future

Silver line, which is a line from Downtown through the Dodger Stadium area, to Glendale, to Burbank and to the North Hollywood red line terminus.

Subway from westwood, branching off the red line parallelling the 405 corridor and hitting the valley., and possibly south to LAX.

California High speed lines and Orange county to Union Station are a few others as well.

LA has 73 miles of rail currently
+24 miles (Gold line foothill)
+14 miles (Expo)
+7 miles (Gold Line East LA)

so 118 by 2010, and many more in the future as well.

Rail has changed the face of LA and all the development you see in LA now is along transit corridors from Downtown, to Hollywood to Long Beach, to Pasadena to Wilshire and Century City. We can no longer grow out and are now growing up, and the chagne is dramatic. in 10 years, the LA of the 80's and 90's will no longer be recognizable and the new and improved LA will be here to stay.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #37
PotatoGuy

and the orange county centerline!!! construction was supposed to start in 07 or 06 i belive but it was temporarily postponed..
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #38
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoGuy
and the orange county centerline!!! construction was supposed to start in 07 or 06 i belive but it was temporarily postponed..
The Orange County Centerline light rail project is dead:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...cle_716800.php

Saturday, October 15, 2005
OCTA makes it official: Light raildead
Lack of federal support forces the agency to favor rapid-bus routes instead.

By JIM RADCLIFFE
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

ORANGE – The Orange County Transportation Authority on Friday told planners to build the county's first rapid-bus lines and earmarked $30million to study possible routes for monorails, trolleys and smaller railways – reluctantly letting go of its longtime plans for a light-rail line.

OCTA unanimously voted to direct staffers to halt planning on CenterLine, the 9.3-mile light railway that was to run from downtown Santa Ana to John Wayne Airport.

It became clear in February that the federal government had no intention of providing half of the $1billion needed to build CenterLine. At the time, staffers began developing the plans approved Friday.

The board also approved three rapid-bus routes, which will cover 69 miles. They are meant to get long-distance commuters to their destinations 20 to 40 percent faster than conventional coaches that stop twice as much.

OCTA forecasts that, together, the lines will serve 67,000 riders – half of them coming from other bus lines, and the other half people who otherwise would take cars.

In Orange County, Metrolink service will be beefed up during weekdays and add weekend routes. A shuttle serving the dense residential and business growth in Irvine next to John Wayne Airport also will be developed.

The improvements to Metrolink, the Irvine shuttle and the rapid-bus lines will be in operation by 2010. In all, the projects will cost $298million – money OCTA has available.

"This is a good day," said Carolyn Cavecche, an OCTA board member and Orange councilwoman who did not support CenterLine. "Our goal (is) to move as many people as possible. I am thrilled."

The $30 million will be available for cities along the Metrolink line to study rail or bus lines connecting residents to the commuter railroad.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #39
glickel
Da T

Thanks for the overview of LA Rail, LA Sports Fan
glickel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #40
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

no prob. just trying to get the word out that LA is improving and rail is leading the way.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles