daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #381
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

Should the lines just join up for now? Means that people could transfer from one to the other.

I would certainly hope that UCLA ends up with a station - university students are pretty strong public transport users the world over. The University of British Columbia in Vancouver pulls a huge number of public transport users along the 99 B-Line BRT route for example.

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #382
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Well, there will be a station at UCLA, the question is will the station be on Wilshire BLVD (about 1/4 - 1/2 mile from main campus, yet right next to the Village), in the village or in UCLA (unlikely). i would prefer a station in the village, but i think it will end up on Wilshire. There are plenty of buses that run from Wilshire to UCLA and the Village.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #383
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Well, there will be a station at UCLA, the question is will the station be on Wilshire BLVD (about 1/4 - 1/2 mile from main campus, yet right next to the Village), in the village or in UCLA (unlikely). i would prefer a station in the village, but i think it will end up on Wilshire. There are plenty of buses that run from Wilshire to UCLA and the Village.
In the AA map there are only two stations shown, one on Wilshire and the I think in UCLA. It doesn't appear to show a station in the village? Is it really an option? I agree that would be the best decision, serving both UCLA and the office towers on Wilshire.
LAmarODom420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #384
LosAngelesSportsFan

you know what, i didnt even pay attention to that map when i wrote that. I think that station is in the Village. i would hope so.
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #385
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
you know what, i didnt even pay attention to that map when i wrote that. I think that station is in the Village. i would hope so.
Looking at the map again, it appears that the stop is on the southern edge of UCLA - I think it is on Le Conte.
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #386
jarbury
Resident Planner

I guess as long as it's within easy walking distance. Surely it'd be a monumental error to place the station far enough away that students would have to transfer to buses.
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #387
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

Maybe a student who actually goes to UCLA would know best . . . let me think of one and ask him . . . oh yeah!

There are a ton of buses that go up Westwood Blvd. Getting to Wilshire is not a problem at all; there are plenty of free shuttles that already do that along with many municipal buses.

Now, as the map is showing, there are options for where the station will be placed, in all likelihood you will not get both. I would rather have it at Wilshire/Westwood. Plenty of office buildings and very close to Westwood Village. A ton of students already take buses, so a subway at any location would be greeted. You don't have to worry about us. Build it and we will come. We also want to get the workers in the office towers, so you have to build it at Wilshire/Westwood. There is no doubt in my mind.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #388
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

i read today that this aint gonna git done till 2035.... that dont make any sense if construction starts in 2012.......
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #389
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

The estimate assumes no federal or state funding. There probably won't be state funding, but we'll probably get federal funding.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #390
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

I wonder if CA NIMBYs' are doing anything to stop this project?
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #391
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I wonder if CA NIMBYs' are doing anything to stop this project?
Don't bring up He Who Must Not be Named....
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #392
jarbury
Resident Planner

Voldemort?
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #393
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
Voldemort?
And his Muggle incarnation, Damien Goodman
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #394
LosAngelesSportsFan

This thread hasnt been updated in a while, so here are a few items to point out.

1) The Gold Line extension (LRT) to East LA should be opening in about a month or two, way ahead of schedule AND under budget! it will be a 6 mile extension, with 2 underground stations.

2) The Expo line extension (LRT) from downtown LA, through USC and Exposition park and Mid City to Culver City is on schedule and should be completed by the end of next year. this is phase one with phase two extending the line from Culver City to Santa Monica.

3) Measure R, the sales tax increase that was voted for during the last election, goes into effect next week, and is expected to raise up to $40 billion dollars for rail and highway improvements in LA. Some of the rail projects getting funding from Measure R include the Subway to the Sea, which is the Purple line extension down Wilshire, the Downtown Connector Subway which ties all the rail lines together and a few more as well.

4) Our BRT is getting a 4 mile extension that broke ground today. following is a short brief from the LA Times.
Orange Line extension to break ground today
8:59 AM | June 24, 2009

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa joins city and county transportation officials this morning in Chatsworth for a groundbreaking ceremony on a project that will extend the Metro Orange Line busway by four miles.

The $215.6-million extension will continue the dedicated bus line from Canoga Park to the Metrolink-Amtrak station in Chatswoth. The project is the first to begin construction under Measure R and is expected to generate about 3,000 jobs.

County voters approved the measure in November, allowing $40 billion to be used for crucial transit and highway projects. The measure goes into effect next month.
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #395
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

if measure R aint going into effect till next month, why is LA County sales tax now at 9.25 percent?
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #396
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

LASF, Expo is facing delay after delay. From what I hear, the opening date of the full Phase I is being pushed back a year. We might be able to get it to Crenshaw by next year, but the rest will definitely not be ready.
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #397
hoosier

Likes (Received): 59

The Orange Line Busway should be converted into a light-rail line and Red line metro cars should be able to travel on it.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #398
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
if measure R aint going into effect till next month, why is LA County sales tax now at 9.25 percent?
the state raised the sales tax by 1% to solve the budget crises.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #399
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The Orange Line Busway should be converted into a light-rail line and Red line metro cars should be able to travel on it.
they can't, the voters in the valley banned all rail based transportation after the north hollywood, subway stop was finished. led by Zev Yarslavsky.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #400
LosAngelesSportsFan

plus the red line is heavy rail.

Tags
los angeles