daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM   #501
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampasteve View Post
LOL, I think most of us on here have done that type of thing! I rode Nuremberg metro one stop and crossed to the other side of the platform for the return. Riding transit gives you a great feel for a city, even if it is a short ride.

Steve
Agreed. I am always fascinated by the flow of passengers and associated bustle. Everyone moves with purpose and such places have a sense of importance. Thats why I like them and got me into studying transportation.

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:50 AM   #502
Kenni
Admin

Agreed agreed, people watching in each city is amazing, especially in public transportation, people differ in each city, a different buzz, you know what I mean?
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #503
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

The new entrance to the Hollywood and Vine Red Line station (pics by LosAngelesBeauty)

2 new T.O.D.'s sit right on top of the Hollywood and Vine station.

W Hotel and Residences

1600 N. Vine

**Bonus**

Metro's new map.

Old February 5th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #504
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Likes (Received): 4

The Expo Line Construction Authority board voted Thursday evening 6 to 0 with one abstention to approve the final environmental document for the second phase of the Expo Line from Culver City to Santa Monica.

Los Angeles transportation officials on Thursday took a major step in bringing commuter rail to the Westside, approving a route linking downtown L.A. to Santa Monica.

Officials hope to begin work later this year on phase two of the Expo Line, a nearly seven-mile link from downtown Culver City to the corner of 4th and Colorado in Santa Monica’s main business district. Phase One of Expo Line is already under construction from downtown L.A. to Culver City.

Extending the line to Santa Monica would be an important milestone in L.A.’s ambitious rail-building campaign. It would also mark the farthest west a Metropolitan Transportation Authority line has reached, serving a section of the county notorious for traffic problems.

"Every other part of Los Angeles has been served by mass public transportation," said L.A. County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky, who represents the Westside. "This part of town, this part of the county has waited a long time for this.”

Transportation planners believe they have $1.5 billion in local and state money to build it. And though there is broad support for the extension, some neighborhood residents have concerns about portions of the plan.

Some homeowners claim the route approved Thursday is unsafe, particularly a stretch near homes in Cheviot Hills as well as areas near Sepulveda Boulevard and Overland Avenue.

Those residents insist that at least one portion of the line should be built underground, saying that would make the route safer for both motorists and pedestrians.
LAmarODom420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #505
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Zev has some nerve. He's the ass that banned the subway extending down Wilshire to begin with. Now he acts has though he's some sort of transportation enthusiast.
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #506
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

It appears the ROW - Colorado route for the Expo Line second phase has prevailed.

greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #507
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko1989 View Post
Can someone post pictures of the Compton light rail station?
Compton has two light rail stations: Artesia and Compton.

I don't have many of either, but here's one that I took at Compton.

Here's some others:

Union Station gold line

Gold line Breda train interior.

7th/metro

Red line interior

Blue line Slauson station

Blue line yesterday
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #508
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Here's the finalized routing along both sections with alternate ROWs:

Phase One is expected to be completed at some point this year. Is there a tentative date for opening barring any unforseen work stoppages? Now that Phase Two's routing has been nailed down, how soon after completing Phase One could they start working on Phase Two?
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #509
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Some part of Phase 1 will be completed this year. Likely only to Crenshaw. The second part of phase 1 will be completed next year. Either way Metro intends to break ground on Phase 2 before the end of this year.
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:05 AM   #510
Kenni
Admin

Aqua Line (Expo Line) under construction...

Downtown to Santa Monica

Extension and re-alignment of the Flower Street bridge over the 110 Harbor Freeway to make room for rail.

(In this pic, it's finished)

Construction in front of USC (University of Southern California), and the Rose Garden.

This is where it goes underground coming from Downtown, it turns right and surfaces on the southern side of USC.

Last edited by Kenni; February 18th, 2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #511
Kenni
Admin

AQUA LINE (EXPO LINE)

PHASE I DETAILED MAP

http://www.buildexpo.org/images/expo_alignment_map.pdf

BROADER OVERVIEW

http://www.metro.net/projects_studie...s/expo_map.pdf
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #512
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Aqua Line (Expo Line) under construction...

Downtown to Santa Monica

How serious are they about through routing the Gold line with the Aqua and Blue lines? I think the possibilty was having the Aqua Line continue east through Union Station to East LA, while the Blue would continue north to Pasadena. I suppose they could keep the Gold Line going as through service along its original routing. Perhaps to keep frequencies up similar to the Red and Purple common routing.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #513
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
How serious are they about through routing the Gold line with the Aqua and Blue lines? I think the possibilty was having the Aqua Line continue east through Union Station to East LA, while the Blue would continue north to Pasadena. I suppose they could keep the Gold Line going as through service along its original routing. Perhaps to keep frequencies up similar to the Red and Purple common routing.
That's how I believe they've planned it, here's a pretty fair idea of what's in mind ............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LACMTA_Regional_Connector
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #514
Kenni
Admin

This is "THE DREAM"

image hosted on flickr
Old February 20th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #515
dl3000

So beautiful.
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #516
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
haha i think it is geekier to ride the metro for a distance, get off, cross the platform, and ride back just to see how the metro is. that is what I did lol.
I just happened upon your post while looking through the subway threads. You've just described entire trips I take. I will go to a city and ride the metro for several days nonstop and do nothing else. I haven't been to LA yet though. I had planned a metro trip, but never bought a plane ticket because it was too much at the time.
goldbough no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #517
goldbough

That aqua line would be sweet because I had planned a trip last year (didn't go though) where I would have taken a bus to the hostel. But the metro is quicker and more convenient.
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:23 AM   #518
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
That aqua line would be sweet because I had planned a trip last year (didn't go though) where I would have taken a bus to the hostel. But the metro is quicker and more convenient.
Where were you thingking of staying?

The Aqua Line wont be finished for another few years, only phase I is under way (Downtown to Culver City) Second Phase Culver City to Santa Monica.

From LAX there's a free shuttle to the Green Line, from there you can go to Downtown (Green to Blue) on to Hollywood (Green - Blue then Red) or Pasadena (Green - Blue - Red - Gold) etc.
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #519
goldbough

There's a hostel near the intersection of CA 1 and terminus of I-10.
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:45 AM   #520
dl3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
I just happened upon your post while looking through the subway threads. You've just described entire trips I take. I will go to a city and ride the metro for several days nonstop and do nothing else. I haven't been to LA yet though. I had planned a metro trip, but never bought a plane ticket because it was too much at the time.
Haha COOL!

Tags
los angeles