daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM   #521
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

I was in LA summer 2008 but I never got a chance to travel on the subway

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #522
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

whats the status on all the construction. Gold line east extention finished? Whats the news on the Purple Line? Hows expo line construction going? Come on LA guys i depend on you for news about back home nerd crap
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #523
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Gold line East LA is finished and opened mid-November. Metro is lobbying Washington to get money to start purple line construction within the next year. The gold line foothill extension should break ground this summer. Expo is way behind schedule, but they may open a portion of it in about a year. Expo Phase 2 should start construction before the end of the year pending the success of a planned NIMBY lawsuit.
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #524
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Did the Metro decide on the route for the purple line, isnt that normally a first step to getting federal funding? Also if they are trying to get Waxman to get LA some cash, i think they would be better off holding a bake sale
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #525
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
Did the Metro decide on the route for the purple line, isnt that normally a first step to getting federal funding? Also if they are trying to get Waxman to get LA some cash, i think they would be better off holding a bake sale
This is somewhat how it stands right now.

"The estimated cost of subway construction below Wilshire Boulevard is approximately $350 million per mile. Measure R, approved in the November 4, 2008 election, will increase sales taxes in Los Angeles County by 0.5% and raise approximately $40 billion for transportation over 30 years. Of that money, the Westside extension of the Purple Line was allocated approximately $4 billion by the LACMTA Board when it devised the spending plan for Measure R earlier in the year.[12] The money would initially become available in 2013 and would be disbursed over the thirty year period of the measure, meaning the subway's construction is likely to be done in discrete segments through 2036 and extend as far as Westwood. However, a grant of federal matching funds could extend the terminus to Santa Monica and accelerate the timeline."
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #526
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Good to know. Where is the quote from?
Old March 6th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #527
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbough View Post
There's a hostel near the intersection of CA 1 and terminus of I-10.
Lol...you mean the PCH and the Santa Monica freeway. I don't think anyone in California calls it CA 1 or the I-10.
Old March 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #528
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Lol...you mean the PCH and the Santa Monica freeway. I don't think anyone in California calls it CA 1 or the I-10.
I call the 10 the 10, however the 1 is PCH, and the ventura and hollywood freeways keep their names cuz the numbers change. BUt the 110 is the 110 not the harbor, 710 is the 710 not whatever the name is, the 60 is the 60 not the pamona freeway, the 5 is the 5 not the golden state. the 14 is the 14 not the AV freeway. the 405 is the 4 or 5 hours to get anywhere not the san diego freeway...

Speaking of the 405 did they ever finish widening it to the airport like they said they would....i remember getting stuck in that before deployment.

Also slightly troll 4 DAYS LEFT TILL DEMOB.

Sorry im overexcited to get back to LA and see how everything has changed in the past 2 years
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #529
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Likes (Received): 4

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/w...geles-Plan.jpg

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...geles-transit/

Forget that old cliché about Los Angeles. It’s not the old highway-obsessed metropolis it used to be. In fact, as L.A. matures, it’s densifying, shedding its abhorrence towards public transportation.

The region already has one of the most ambitious transit expansion plans in the country; a new light rail line to East L.A. opened last year, the Expo light rail line from downtown to Culver City is under construction, and dozens of other routes are in planning throughout Los Angeles County. The passage in November 2008 of Measure R, an additional half-cent sales tax for transit, means that these projects aren’t just conjectural.

But L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who has always been a strong proponent of new rail and bus lines, isn’t satisfied by the thirty-year timetable that will be required to complete the projects lined up for $13.7 billion in local funding. (Measure R would also fund $27 billion in transit operations, maintenance, and roads projects.) Current financial assumptions indicate that the Mayor’s highest priority–an extension of the Westside subway (Purple Line) to Westwood–wouldn’t be complete until 2032. A fixed guideway link along I-405 between the San Fernando Valley and UCLA would have to wait until 2038.

For Mr. Villaraigosa, this situation isn’t feasible: he wants his subway as soon as possible, rather than force his city’s inhabitants to spend decades more in congestion. But over ten years, Measure R is only expected to bring in about $3 billion for transit capital projects–enough to build the first phase of the subway, but nothing else. Because the Metropolitan Transportation Authority represents L.A. County’s ten million inhabitants, not just the city’s four million, prioritizing a line that would provide service to a tiny percentage of the region’s overall geographic area would not be politically feasible.

In October last year, the mayor suggested an alternative: ask the federal government to loan Metro billions of dollars to complete the majority of the county’s transit projects, in the city and out, in ten years, rather then thirty. The transit authority would then pay Washington back for twenty more years as revenues from Measure R trickled in.

The 30/10 proposal would allow Metro to construct the full Westside extension, but also two easterly extensions of the Gold Line, two new branches for the Green Line, several busways in San Fernando Valley, a link along I-405, and new light rail lines downtown, along Crenshaw Boulevard, to Santa Monica, and via the West Santa Ana branch corridor. All by 2020.

It was a brilliant solution to an intractable political problem by ensuring the extension of transit in corridors everywhere in the county within a tight time frame.
LAmarODom420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #530
Kenni
Admin

Villaraigosa has the right mindset (thank god)

Hopefully the Feds will fall in line with his 30/10 proposal.
Go Super V!
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #531
LosAngelesMetroBoy

the feds would have to have money, and again the problem is waxman
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #532
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Sometime in the early '80's, a commercial bank in Atlanta offered to lend MARTA enough money to finish its rail system. The interest rate was favorable but not concessionary.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #533
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
the feds would have to have money, and again the problem is waxman
Waxman
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #534
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Waxman
From what I've read Waxman seems supportive of 30/10, and that Villagarosa stands a good chance of getting his way.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #535
Kenni
Admin

Good, it's gotta be a unified front

Here's an excelent pic of the old Red Cars. This one crossing Fletcher in Atwater Village.

image hosted on flickr

GOLD LINE STATION ABOVE UNION STATION DOWNTOWN EN ROUTE TO PASADENA

image hosted on flickr

GREEN LINE APPROACHING AVIATION STATION, LINK TO LAX THROUGH FREE SHUTTLE.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

GOLD LINE AT LITTLE TOKYO SECTOR OF DOWNTWON LA, LEAVING DOWNTOWN TOWARDS EAST LOS ANGELES

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Kenni; March 15th, 2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #536
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

^ Erm..that last one is the Blue Line leaving 1st Street and approaching the Long Beach Transit Mall.
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #537
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

yep, I was wondering how could Gold Line be running one-way only through Little Tokyo.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #538
LosAngelesMetroBoy

its also green line at aviation... will be on that tomorrow headed home!
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #539
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

That is one long light rail train!
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #540
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Kenni: How old are your photos?

Tags