daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #541
Kenni
Admin

Those wonderful pictures are not mine, but they are not that old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
^ Erm..that last one is the Blue Line leaving 1st Street and approaching the Long Beach Transit Mall.
My bad, on a second glance you're right. (loved the pic so much and I had GOLD in my mind)

Last edited by Kenni; March 15th, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #542
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Also for the sake of accuracy it is the green line that goes to Aviation for the free shuttle to LAX, not the blue line. Also that pic is of El Segundo/Nash not Aviation and there's no free shuttle there. FWIW the pic after that is the blue line at Del Amo.
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #543
Kenni
Admin

geesh, was I drunk that day? And I know them so well.
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #544
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

hey kenni it happens to everyone
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #545
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Would LA ever think of purchasing dual-mode light rail vehicles that could draw power from both third rails and overhead lines?

Something similar to the Amsterdam Metro/Sneltram vehicles.

Third-rail operations.

image hosted on flickr

The same type of train, running on overhead lines.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #546
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Maybe, but there would really be limited benefit to convert to this type of system. The lines that are currently third rail powered (red and purple) are completely separate from the catenary powered lines. The trains are interchangeable between the catenary powered lines as it is, which is the vast majority of the system.

Steve
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:46 PM   #547
LosAngelesMetroBoy

ok i got a question, can anyone else read the adds in the red line tunnel and unviersal city and hollywood highland?

i have tried a few times but its never worked
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #548
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
ok i got a question, can anyone else read the adds in the red line tunnel and unviersal city and hollywood highland?

You mean that super duper light show? Lol..no. I've never been able to.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM   #549
LosAngelesMetroBoy

yeah its just lights for a quick second. interesting technology when it works. it just doesnt in that tunnel
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:49 AM   #550
soup or man
Avant Garde

$690 million OKd for Gold Line extension to Azusa

The MTA board's approval of the funding means the project is on track to break ground in June and begin service in 2014.

By My-Thuan Tran
LA Times
March 26, 2010

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6507584.story

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority board on Thursday approved $690 million in funding for the extension of the Gold Line in the San Gabriel Valley, marking a significant step forward for the project.

The money would go toward extending the light rail line 11.3 miles from its current terminus at Sierra Madre Villa Avenue in Pasadena to Azusa. The board's approval means the project is on track to break ground in June and begin service in 2014.

Javier Solorzano, 18, left, chats with his brother Daniel, 11, as they ride the Gold Line along the 210 Freeway in Pasadena. The money allocated to the extension project comes from the half-cent-on-the-dollar sales tax hike that voters approved in 2008. (Bob Chamberlin / Los Angeles Times / March 25, 2010)

The extension is one of several major rail projects being planned for L.A. County in the next few years, including an extension of the Expo Line into Santa Monica, a new line down Crenshaw Boulevard into the South Bay and an extension of the Eastside portion of the Gold Line.

There has been much debate about which projects should get funding, and county Supervisor Mike Antonovich said it's important that a line outside the city of Los Angeles received money.

"We need to have a regional transportation network and not one that just favors one city," he said. "Los Angeles has cannibalized the funds, and this is the first time we have been able to bring 'regional' to the front of the plate instead of the back of the bus."

Antonovich said the extension -- with stops in Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, Irwindale and Azusa -- would move the area toward a "truly regional transit system."

Cities are looking at creating a high-tech corridor and building housing and multi-use commercial projects along the line, which parallels the 210 Freeway.

Planners would like to eventually extend the Gold Line all the way to LA/Ontario International Airport in San Bernardino County.

With the Thursday vote, $690 million in revenue from Measure R will be transferred to the Gold Line Construction Authority. County voters approved the measure in 2008 to increase the sales tax by half a cent on the dollar for 30 years to raise $40 billion to construct specific mass transit projects.

The Gold Line funding effectively moves the scheduled opening of the Azusa extension to 2014 from 2017, Antonovich said, because it allows for the construction authority to seek bids for faster construction in a private-public partnership.

Building the extension would generate 6,900 jobs, a third of them construction-related, during the three-year project, according to the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp.

The second phase of the project would add stations in Glendora, San Dimas, La Verne, Pomona, Claremont and Montclair and is estimated to cost about $600 million to $700 million.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa was in Washington earlier this month lobbying Congress to support the region's rail projects. He has made a priority of extending the subway to the Westside.
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #551
LAmarODom420
Lamarvelous

Likes (Received): 4

Transit-wise, it's pointless. Politically, it's necessary. After this is done we can focus on the CORE of the city -- Downtown to the Pacific.
LAmarODom420 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #552
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

it seems sort of long for a light rail line, but the more extensions the better I suppose
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #553
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmarODom420 View Post
Transit-wise, it's pointless. Politically, it's necessary. After this is done we can focus on the CORE of the city -- Downtown to the Pacific.
Well the SGV (as well as the IE) will need more connections to Los Angeles in the near future. While I don't think that someone from Montclair will ever ride to Gold Line all the way to Union Station, it will open the change for other cities to create city centers of sorts.
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #554
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Also, most traffic in LA is suburb to suburb. I think the system can really use a circle line along the lines of 605 to like Manhattan Beach. That would bypass having to go through the hub.
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #555
LosAngelesMetroBoy

a few ring lines will be needed and i think one of the first steps should be the crenshaw line connecting the expo and eventually the purple line to the green line
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #556
Kenni
Admin

Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

Besides the Blue line, the whole basin is not conected north-south, the Crenshaw corridor line will have very high ridership.

And the "ulitmate dream", the "subway to the sea"!

This video was made to campaign mostly to the residents of the west side to have them get on board. Done!
Old April 20th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #557
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post

These?

I think they're awesome, what ever they say,...instead of staring into blank darkness

This one looks like a Movie preview
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #558
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Yes, I was thinking the same thing.

Besides the Blue line, the whole basin is not conected north-south, the Crenshaw corridor line will have very high ridership.

And the "ulitmate dream", the "subway to the sea"!

This video was made to campaign mostly to the residents of the west side to have them get on board. Done!
Great video, but the host is a douche.

"I got the part!"
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #559
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
These?

I think they're awesome, what ever they say,...instead of staring into blank darkness

This one looks like a Movie preview
Holy crap, so thats what they look like when they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Great video, but the host is a douche.

"I got the part!"
Im convinced everyone attached to Mayor V is a douche. Hes got good ideas, but needs to stop sleeping with every reporter that writes a good story about him and idk BALANCE THE CITIES FREAKING BUDGET WITHOUT RAISING CITY BUSINESS LICENSE FEES BEFORE I MOVE MY SHIT OUTTA LA
Old April 25th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #560
Kenni
Admin

Expo Line Updates

Between USC and Exposition Park

Building the Vermont Station

Platform work at Crenshaw Station

Western Station

Expo Park/USC

Near La Cienega

Pilars for Venice/Robertson aerial structure.

Ballona

La Brea

Tags
los angeles