daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2005, 12:24 AM   #41
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Great update LASportsFan. Too bad about Centerline though.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:42 AM   #42
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 4

well thats pretty recent... i had no idea.. how uncool, ehh wat can u do
Old October 31st, 2005, 01:35 AM   #43
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

orange line makes a strong debut, LA times and LA Daily news articles...
October 30, 2005
latimes.com : California
E-mail story Print Most E-mailed Small Text SizeSmall Text Size Regular Text SizeRegular Text Size Large Text SizeLarge Text Size Change text size
Valley's Orange Line a Hit Out the Gate
# An estimated 30,000 riders are drawn to a free trial run of the 14-mile busway, enough for MTA officials to add 13 buses for the test.

By Caitlin Liu and Amanda Covarrubias, Times Staff Writers

It was supposed to be a free trial run of the new Orange Line busway in the San Fernando Valley. But on Saturday, commuters were already using it to get to and from work, just as transit officials had hoped.

There were so many people drawn by curiosity that 13 buses were quickly added to the 28 that were taking riders 14 miles across the Valley floor. Officials estimated that 30,000 people boarded Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
For those who didn't have the day off, the $350-million line promised a quicker and cheaper way to and from work.

"For me, it's better. It's faster," said Teoro Hernandez, a North Hollywood construction worker on his way to Warner Center in Woodland Hills, where he planned to catch another bus to get to his job in Thousand Oaks. "It's good that they put in this rapid service for us."

LaToya Brown, 23, a lab technician just coming off her night shift, said she believed the Orange Line — with a stop across the street from her job — would be easier than the two regular buses she was accustomed to taking.

Noel Leiva, in his 30s, said he would definitely start taking the Orange Line from his home in Lake Balboa to his job as a technology consultant for a post-production company in Hollywood.

"Traffic here is so bad, it takes 15 to 20 minutes just to get to the freeway entrance," Leiva said after disembarking from a bus at the Balboa Boulevard station. "I'm going to ride it regularly."

Leiva said his only complaint was he thought the buses would have traffic signal priority, and he was disappointed to learn the lights don't automatically turn green on approach. "Overall, it's pretty good," he said.

Rami Yahalom was so excited that he was in line by 5:45 a.m. He ran his hand over a gleaming metal bar on the first bus made available to the public.

"It's so posh," said his wife, Sylvia Woolhouse, as the bus pulled away from Warner Center. "This will be better than taking a car, beating traffic. There will be no traffic on this line!"

Officials at the Metropolitan Transportation Authority hope the line between North Hollywood and Woodland Hills will get Valley residents used to mass transit and encourage the development of more mixed-use projects along the route.

To help keep ridership up after the free weekend, the MTA will continue a marketing campaign, including billboards and newspaper advertisements, MTA spokesman Dave Sotero said.

"We're hoping people who experienced it today will want to take it again," he said. "I think people were pleasantly surprised by the route. We got a good reaction."

Although the buses were crowded all day, no problems or glitches in the system arose, Sotero said.

All that most passengers could think about was the fun of riding on the sparkling new silver coaches.

As they whizzed past apartment buildings, strip malls, office parks and green fields, riders admired the interior, which is designed to resemble a rail car, and puzzled over the accordion-like middle that allows the 60-foot-long vehicle to turn.

"It's like two buses connected together," said Mark Hain, a Woodland Hills sign-language interpreter, who said he might use the line to commute to his part-time job at Pierce College.

Daphne Gardner, 48, a bookkeeper, said the Orange Line "feels like a Disneyland tram — the monorail."

"The bus ride — look how smooth it is!" said Gardner, who lives in Los Angeles and took her two daughters along for a family ride. "It's so cool. It's so fast and it smells like new!"

Richard Radmacher, 56, an engineer who lives half a block away from the Orange Line's stop at Valley College, said he is thinking of taking it to his job downtown.

"That's pretty convenient," said the Valley Glen resident. "Then I can do other things [during my commute], like reading."

Ty Arendano, 38, an environmental safety manager for an insurance company in Glendale, said he plans to take the Orange Line from his home in Van Nuys to the Red Line subway next year when his office moves downtown.

"With traffic, gas and parking, this will be cheaper, in some ways," Arendano said. "For $3, you can't beat that." The MTA charges $3 a day for unlimited rides on all bus and rail lines.

But Junior Portillo, 27, a construction worker, said he found the Orange Line disappointing. Before the busway opened, the resident of South Los Angeles took the Blue Line and two buses to his job in Van Nuys.

But because the MTA cut some bus service to help pay for the Orange Line, Portillo now must transfer to an additional bus — for a total of three, including the Orange Line — to get to work.

"I don't think I'll ride it again," Portillo said. "I'll find another bus."

Mark Johnson, 62, a ball bearing salesman who lives in North Hollywood, pulled out an Orange Line schedule and looked at his watch.

"It's about five minutes late right now," Johnson told his friend, Gus Novak.

Novak, 79, a retired aircraft mechanic, said that he wanted to try the Orange Line just for fun but that he doesn't plan to use it much.

"I'm a sucker for the car," Novak said, adding, "If it gets a couple of thousand cars off streets, it's worthwhile."

Jack Murphy, a retired 77-year-old meteorologist, said he is worried about safety at the route's many intersections, which some motorists find confusing.

"To me, it's almost as dangerous as a railroad," Murphy said.

Free bus rides on the Orange Line will continue today from 5 a.m. to midnight.

The MTA will begin charging fares Monday, when the Orange Line begins its regular schedule of 4 a.m. to 1 a.m. seven days a week.

Daily News

And away we go!
MTA launches the busway with great hoopla; more than 30,000 riders on day one
By Lisa Mascaro and Lisa M. Sodders, Staff Writers

For More Info

•Photo Gallery: Orange Line Opens
• View the Orange Line section.
• Watch a flash presentation about the Orange Line.
• Visit the Metro website.

In this car-crazed region, crowds of people waited in line Saturday under the San Fernando Valley sun to do the unthinkable - ride a bus.

The Metro Orange Line debuted to more than 30,000 curious passengers, many of whom stood for up to an hour in a line snaking around a city block to try the long-awaited mass transit line across the Valley.

On board the silver double-length buses, some found an alternative to grueling freeway commutes. Others saw a way to get around on weekends. And others found nothing worthwhile to draw them back.

"We think it's a wonderful idea whose time has come," said Calabasas attorney Jerry Posell, on board with his wife, Ellen, on a practice run for a potential trip downtown.

"We're definitely motivated to this," he said, saying he could take the Orange Line occasionally for work or to theaters. "It was a long time coming."

Celeny Martinez, 27, of Van Nuys, tested the bus for her daily commute to work at HealthNet in Woodland Hills.

"It's easier than the 101 with all that traffic."

And Marilyn Stine, who's lived in the Valley since 1961, decided to step outside her neighborhood and see what she's been missing.

"This is the first bus I've been on in, like, 40 years," said Stine, a widow, enjoying the sights from the window and considering trips downtown. "I want to see parts of the area I haven't seen before."

No sooner did the morning's free rides get under way than lines started forming at the North Hollywood Station, the eastern terminus of the 14-mile route that stretches across the Valley to Warner Center. The free rides continue today.

The Valley has waited more than 20 years for an east-west transit line that was promised when voters first approved new taxes for transportation. The busway wasn't the Valley's first choice but emerged as a compromise when it became clear the MTA had no money left to build a subway or light rail. Its total cost was $350 million.

"We've been looking forward to the opening of it," said Valley Glen mom Dalet Brady.

"For years," added her husband, Max Bulwa.

The couple plan to take their boys Felix, 5, and Declan, 2, on the Orange Line to Lake Balboa Park to feed the ducks and to Saturday soccer practice at Pierce College.

"I wish there was more of it," she said. "L.A. needs more public transit."

But for all the crowds Saturday, riders were mixed on whether the Orange Line would be of much use to them.

The Orange Line promises a 40-minute ride across the Valley, about as fast as the freeway during rush hour.

Woodland Hills resident John

Advertisement
Adblock
Adblock

Morris, waiting in line at Warner Center with his wife, Yan, wanted to see if he could take the busway to his job near Universal City because he's grown so tired of the freeway.

"I've been driving the 101 and it's just like sitting," he said.

"The only advantage to this would just be being able to relax."

But Winnetka resident Shirley Miller said the route isn't near enough to destinations like the Sherman Oaks Fashion Square or medical centers.

"It doesn't really go anyplace I want to go and the stops are not convenient to anything," she said.

And while Gerri Mastrangelo said she might take it to the malls in Warner Center, her husband, Martin, said there needs to be more off-hour connecting service.

"I think they need more cross buses later at night. That's the only thing I'm disappointed in. Not everybody has cars. People work at night and they need the buses."

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority's general manager for the Valley said he wants to hear riders' comments, and urged them to bring their suggestions to the Governance Council, which meets the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the Van Nuys Civic Center.

"Let us know. We want to hear that."

A handful of protesters showed up at the North Hollywood Station, critical of the route's safety as well as cutbacks to the local bus lines.

Protester Donna Gooley of North Hollywood said spending money on the new buses when other routes were being cut was "a slap in the face to bus riders."

The morning saw Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky out greeting riders, while later on Councilman Tom LaBonge was on hand and Councilwoman Wendy Greuel brought her toddler out for a look.

MTA officials, who rolled out more buses to meet the crowd, were thrilled with the turnout.

"I couldn't have asked for a better start," said Yaroslavsky. "This is what I predicted from Day One. Let people vote with their feet."
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:04 PM   #44
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

I wish that was a real map. Well..most of it is. The red, blue, green, gold, and expo are real.
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:22 AM   #45
mic of Orion
I come in peace \V/

Likes (Received): 48

cool stuff...

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Religion leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to bigotry, bigotry leads to suffering!!!" Mic of Orion
mic of Orion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:46 AM   #46
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

While it is sad that this isn't an LRT, I wouldn't mind have this instead of nothing at all
Bertez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:29 AM   #47
PotatoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred

I wish that was a real map. Well..most of it is. The red, blue, green, gold, and expo are real.
that would be soooo cool, did u make that urself or did u get that from some site??
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #48
Smartboy

Likes (Received): 0

Please, someone could post or has some pics from the new orange line transit system.
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #49
LosAngelesSportsFan

http://www.metro.net/projects_progra...nteractive.htm

i couldnt copy the pics but here is the link to the MTA Orange line site. it has pics of the Liners and the stations.
Old November 11th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #50
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I'm glad to see the opening of the OrangeLine. I went to the website and I must, however, say that I was not particularily impressed with the service level. Every 6 minutes during peak times and every 12 minutes in off peak isn't a very high service level.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #51
PotatoGuy

well the region around the orange line isnt exactly like "urban" it's in the san fernando valley so mostly suburban ish stuff.. and again.. people prefer using cars
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #52
LosAngelesSportsFan

just a little update on orange line ridership. the MTA was expecting 5 - 7000 daily riders but the line is pulling in 10,000 - 12,000 on weekdays and 16,000 on weekends.
Old December 1st, 2005, 08:05 AM   #53
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

That orange "metro" line reminds me the Tvm line in Paris. Where the Orange pretends to be a "metro", the Tvm pretends to be a "tram", but both are simply bus lines.

The Tvm (Trans Val-de-Marne) is a bus having its exclusive lanes in the middle of the avenue. Several bridges have even been built to make it bypass roads crossing. It's thought as a tramway, the main difference being that there's no rail.

Here's a picture of the Tvm :

It could be a solution for a low density city such as Los Angeles. However, the inconvenients of that system are the same as those of the trams : Once built, there are less lanes for cars, hence, it can easily create awful traffic jams.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 09:55 AM   #54
bustero

Likes (Received): 10

I tried just using the public system when I visited LA once. All I can say is never again!

I think it works best for certain regular commutes but for visitors , it's not really very practical as LA area is a strange place to walk in.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM   #55
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Los Angeles Subway/LRT Stations

We might not have the biggest transit network (In terms of subway/light rail), but that which we do have isn't bad at all. We have very unique stations all designed by local artists. This is every single station for every line in LA. Hope you enjoy the tour.

--Red Line Subway--

Union Station

Civic Center

Pershing Square

7th Street

Westlake/MacArthur Park

Wilshire/Vermont (Looks nothing like this anymore)

Wilshire/Normandie

Wilshire/Western

Vermont/Beverly

Vermont/Santa Monica

Vermont/Sunset

Hollywood/Western

Hollywood/Vine

Hollywood/Highland

Universal City

North Hollywood

==Blue Line LRT==

Anaheim

Artesia

Compton

Del Amo

5th Street

1st Street

Grand

Imperial/Willmington/Rosa Parks

103rd St./Kenneth Hahn

Pacific

Pacific Coast Highway

Pico

San Pedro

7th Street
(See Red Line)

Slauson

Transit Mall

Vernon

Wardlow

Washington

((Green Line LRT))

Avalon

Avation

Crenshaw

Douglas/Rosecrans

El Sugundo/Nash

Harbor Freeway

Hawthorne

Rosa Parks (See Blue Line)

I-605/I-105

Lakewood

Long Beach

Marine/Redondo

Mariposa/Nash

Vermont

!!Gold Line Eastside Connection (Opens 2009)!!

Little Tokyo/Arts District

Pico Aliso

Mariachi Plaza

Soto

Maravilla

E. LA Civic Center

Atlantic

<<Future Wilshire/Western Devlopment>>

\\Future Wilshire/Vermont Devlopment//

PHEW!!! Hope you enjoy.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 10:20 AM   #56
Iggui
Tercermundista de corazón

Likes (Received): 1256

hey, that's great. i live in LA and have no idea where this subway goes. thanks for posting. the stations look great.
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:39 PM   #57
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

LA's subway stations are impressive! They have character

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 12:55 PM   #58
ignoramus

Great job in having pictures of every single subway and lrt station posted! That's a feat in itself (even though the rail system ain't that large, but its large enough!). The stations certainly have character. No station is identical to another, right...
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM   #59
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

I love the uniqueness!! Something the Copenhagen Metro doesn't have
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 06:20 PM   #60
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I'm glad Los Angeles is improving its public transport system. It was really a shame.
gronier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles