daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #581
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
You have something against janitors? Or are you a fan of indentured servitude?
I guess I understand our colleague's point. Janitors don't make US$ 12/hour + benefits + pension + health care + paid sick leave + paid "school" days on private enterprises. Therefore, they are reaping a far higher salary there, which wouldn't be a problem if this pattern of overcompensations didn't hamper the ability of the transit authority to operate more efficiently in terms of its finances.

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #582
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

or if the work done justified the compensation, which anyone who has taken a ride on the LA metro knows is not the case. For 12 bucks an hour plus everything else i would expect those trains to be sparkling and the floors to be spotless, every light working and every escalator sparkling. instead brand new stations already look old and worn.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #583
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Hello, could you please tell me the estimate travel time from Hawthorne to the city centre?
In the webpage it says 90-120 minutes (I think), could someone specify more?
Thank you in advance.
Old June 15th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #584
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

**Bonus**

Metro's new map.

[/QUOTE]

Thats a map a 1-2 million European city would have, real poor for a 17 million...
Glad their working on more lines for LA though...
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #585
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

LA doesn't have 17 million people. LA has 4 million people.
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #586
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
LA doesn't have 17 million people. LA has 4 million people.
Think it's for the Los Angeles metropolitan area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Ang...ropolitan_Area
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #587
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfword View Post
Think it's for the Los Angeles metropolitan area

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Ang...ropolitan_Area
Even then people like to paint the picture that Los Angeles has ZERO public transportation. LA has numerous options. One think that people don't realize is that Metrolink serves 6 counties in Southern California (LA, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Ventura).

People have options getting around LA. Just not enough and too many people.

Orange County is getting into the act and proposed a streetcar.

Even dirty San Bernardino is nearing construction of sbX.

Not to mention the California High Speed Rail.
Old June 20th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #588
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
or if the work done justified the compensation, which anyone who has taken a ride on the LA metro knows is not the case. For 12 bucks an hour plus everything else i would expect those trains to be sparkling and the floors to be spotless, every light working and every escalator sparkling. instead brand new stations already look old and worn.
$12/hr is SHIT money. Try living on that in LA.
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #589
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Even then people like to paint the picture that Los Angeles has ZERO public transportation. LA has numerous options. One think that people don't realize is that Metrolink serves 6 counties in Southern California (LA, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Ventura).
These maps you show are in even a bigger area then the 17 million metro of LA? So I guess that really shows how poor the area is on public transport... But that's where the famous LA highways take over I guess

I live in a very small country: Belgium
It's smaller than the area you showed here and 10.5 million people live there.
It's around the same size as LA county and Kern county together...(31.000sqkm or 11966 sqmi)
Still there is much more transportation than you would expect:
I know it doesn't belongs here... So as soon if you've seen it delete it...
Belgian rail map:
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:06 AM   #590
soup or man
Avant Garde

I like it when people try to tell you about how messed up their city is. In LA's case, it's lack of a comprehensive transportation system. Like we don't already know it.

Old June 21st, 2010, 01:20 AM   #591
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

Sure LA doesn't have the (rail based) public transportation it needs, but it's working damn hard to get it as fast as possible. I'd be grateful if my city was even half as ambitious.
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM   #592
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
These maps you show are in even a bigger area then the 17 million metro of LA? So I guess that really shows how poor the area is on public transport... But that's where the famous LA highways take over I guess

I live in a very small country: Belgium
It's smaller than the area you showed here and 10.5 million people live there.
It's around the same size as LA county and Kern county together...(31.000sqkm or 11966 sqmi)
Still there is much more transportation than you would expect:
I know it doesn't belongs here... So as soon if you've seen it delete it...
Belgian rail map:
Your system may be big , but form i hear its terrible always breaking down. Old trains , never on time...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Last edited by deasine; June 22nd, 2010 at 01:47 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:54 AM   #593
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I agree with this. Try paying your California bills, rent, fuel...etc with that wage.

I'm surprised unless I missed it that there is no direct link to the airport for the metro. No station inside the airport. I think all airports in major cities should have efficient public transport to and from the airport.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:54 AM   #594
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Id kill for 12 bucks an hour to have such shoddy work done.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #595
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Since the Green Line is completely grade-separated, would it ever be up for a conversion to heavy rail (while still being powered by overhead wiring)?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #596
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
Since the Green Line is completely grade-separated, would it ever be up for a conversion to heavy rail (while still being powered by overhead wiring)?
What you would see on LA's LRT system as a whole (Not just the Green Line, but the Blue, Gold, Expo, and Crenshaw Lines as well.) would be something like that of Tokyo's Suburban Railroads, a gradual process of increasing platform length, (The Blue Line would be first in line for this, given how crowded it is.) Grade separations, and increasing frequencies to the point where the average Joe-Blow won't care about the difference. (This is, in general, how I think most modern American LRT systems will evolve in the decades to come, with some exceptions such as Houston.)
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #597
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
What you would see on LA's LRT system as a whole (Not just the Green Line, but the Blue, Gold, Expo, and Crenshaw Lines as well.) would be something like that of Tokyo's Suburban Railroads, a gradual process of increasing platform length, (The Blue Line would be first in line for this, given how crowded it is.) Grade separations, and increasing frequencies to the point where the average Joe-Blow won't care about the difference. (This is, in general, how I think most modern American LRT systems will evolve in the decades to come, with some exceptions such as Houston.)
Among the LRT systems built in the United States since the 1980s, I cannot think of a single case where a line has been upgraded to be grade-separated through a downtown area. When money is available, it is spent on new lines, not providing grade separation for existing lines. The Blue Line in Los Angeles was upgraded to increase platform lengths to accommodate 3-car trains, but there weren't any changes to the street median sections of the route in Long Beach and downtown Los Angeles. Dallas is presently confronting a capacity problem where several lines converge in the downtown area. The chosen solution is to build a second non-grade-separated route through downtown.

If Los Angeles did choose to upgrade some light rail lines to full metro standards, it would have a good head start. All the light rail lines in Los Angeles have high-floor cars serving high-platform stations. If you disregard the pantographs, the Green Line pretty much is a metro.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #598
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
Among the LRT systems built in the United States since the 1980s, I cannot think of a single case where a line has been upgraded to be grade-separated through a downtown area. When money is available, it is spent on new lines, not providing grade separation for existing lines. The Blue Line in Los Angeles was upgraded to increase platform lengths to accommodate 3-car trains, but there weren't any changes to the street median sections of the route in Long Beach and downtown Los Angeles. Dallas is presently confronting a capacity problem where several lines converge in the downtown area. The chosen solution is to build a second non-grade-separated route through downtown.

If Los Angeles did choose to upgrade some light rail lines to full metro standards, it would have a good head start. All the light rail lines in Los Angeles have high-floor cars serving high-platform stations. If you disregard the pantographs, the Green Line pretty much is a metro.
While these theoretical upgrades haven't happened yet, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that they could happen in the next few decades as ridership rises on these systems. In a way it's already happening, with many planned lines, including recently opened ones being built to far more rigorous standards than some of the Original LRT lines built 1980's. (point case: Sacramento's LRT system when it was originally built was 60% single track, Seattle's system was constructed to be mostly grade separated (with some exceptions) and was built to accommodate 4-car trains.)
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:50 PM   #599
Skyrobot

Likes (Received): 9

And I thought commuting in LA is just via cars on freeways! Someone said LA is so spread out that it is not feasible for subway systems.
Skyrobot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #600
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrobot View Post
And I thought commuting in LA is just via cars on freeways! Someone said LA is so spread out that it is not feasible for subway systems.
That's simply untrue. Subway is very successful in L.A., and has high ridership per mile. It's a very limited network at this point, which is why its numbers appear low.

It looks as if the Westside extension may be built, along with several other corridors, if the 30/10 plan proposed by the mayor is approved.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles