daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #621
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Because my main mode of trans. is the rapid transit. Subway.
Light Rail Trains have a top speed 5-15 miles faster then Rapid Transit but they tend to stop more unlike a subway but thats usually in the denser areas.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #622
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Generally heavy rail subway type cars have a much faster acceleration than LR does, so it can be perceived to be faster. Also, they can attain maximum speeds faster and more frequently as the stations are usually further apart than LR stations, not to mention that they are always in a separate ROW or tunnel, unlike LR which sometimes runs in mixed traffic or a small separation. So, theoretically the speeds are close, but subway will almost always run at a faster speed operationally.

Steve
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #623
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Gold is only the name or just a wish i guess, coz on the metro maps the real color is yellow

But yu are right, it's pretty slow though.
But it is called the Gold Line.

The Eastside Extention is already complete. The Foothill Extension (to downtown Azuza) is under construction.
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #624
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
SO I took the Yellow Line from Union Station (beautiful by the way) to Little Tokyo. How fast does this thing go? It seems to be very slow. Is the max speed of the yellow line that slow? How does it compare to the full metro?
I believe you are taling about the bridge and jog across the 101 into little tokyo. If so, your talking about the slowest segment of the entire line. The reason that part is slow is due to the tight turns it must negotiate as well as there being a stop right at the bottom of the high grade into little tokyo.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #625
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:

"Where Does Metro Take You?" Contest
We'd like to know about all the places you Go Metro. And we’d like to share your tips with others. All you have to do is fill out the online entry form and tell us where, how and why you ride, how transit helps you and reasons why others should try it.

Your entry will be posted right here so others can rate it. Those with the highest ratings will have a chance to win a pass to ride Metro Local, Metro Rapid and Metro Rail for five days.

So…where does Metro take you?

Rate Your Favorite Entries
You can rate entries without entering. Just click on any of the categories on the right.
http://www.metro.net/itineraries/
Old October 16th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #626
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Ka-ching! In the first payout under the 30/10 plan, the U.S. Department of Transportation approved a $546 million loan to help finance the Crenshaw/LAX line. Work will begin in early 2011 on the $1.4 billion line, which will ultimately allow you to take light rail to LAX (thrilling!). It will take about five years to complete the roughly 9 mile project. "Today is a good day, I got some very good news," U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer said in a conference call with reporters. "[Department of Transportation Secretary] Ray LaHood called me early this morning and he gave me some advance notice of some very good news." Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa called the loan, which will be paid back with Measure R funds, "a substantial downpayment," and promised the project would be finished "in the teens." Without 30/10, the line wouldn't have opened until some point after 2020. The Crenshaw Line goes from Expo Crenshaw Station at Exposition Blvd and Crenshaw Blvd, down Crenshaw Blvd, connects through Inglewood, and down to LAX (you'll get to the terminals via a people mover) and then connects with the Green Line.
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #627
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Obviously fantastic news. that would mean FOUR new lines under construction at the same time.

Expo Phase 1 then 2
Crenshaw
Gold Foothill
Orange BRT extension

and probably before any of these are complete, we can assume that at least two more lines will start construction!
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #628
soup or man
Avant Garde

Lol..the Orange Line gets no love. But since the Valley hates rail, I guess it'll have to do. For what it is, it works well.
Old October 18th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #629
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Here's more on the story from The Transport Politic.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-rail-project/
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #630
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

It would probably be better if LAX builds an APM linking a the Crenshaw Line stop at Century (and even better extending the APM to Aviation Metro Green Line). I still don't understand why LAX doesn't have an APM, considering its size. Heck, even SEA has it!
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #631
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
It would probably be better if LAX builds an APM linking a the Crenshaw Line stop at Century (and even better extending the APM to Aviation Metro Green Line). I still don't understand why LAX doesn't have an APM, considering its size. Heck, even SEA has it!
If I remember correctly, the 30/10 plan would provide funding for an extension of the Green Line directly into LAX, though it would be a separate project from both the Crenshaw Line and Green Line Torrance Extension, from there a people mover could then loop from the station to the various terminals in LAX. (Like the BART SF International Airport station in the Bay Area, only unlike that an extension towards somewhere else would be possible.)
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #632
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
A APA is in the works. LAX is undergoing a massive overhaul/expansion.
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #633
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

All the best of luck to Los Angeles and Mayor Villaraigosa.

Also, some updates in the Transport Politic about the Purple Line extension.
http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...way-extension/
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #634
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

How big is earthquake a factor when building a metro in LA? I thought at first that was the reason why LA prefers light rail over heavy rail.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #635
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
How big is earthquake a factor when building a metro in LA? I thought at first that was the reason why LA prefers light rail over heavy rail.
I never understood why earthquakes would be a big issue...lots of areas of the world that are Earthquake-prone have subway tunnels without issues (see Japan, Mexico, Chile, Greece, etc.).
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:05 AM   #636
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
As I understand it, it is because LA sits on an oil/gas field that has been largely depleted or simply developed, it is what contributed to some of the original booming in LA. The La Brea tar pits are evidence of this. Anyway, when drilling for subways, they hit pockets of methane and I think there was an explosion, which scared everyone because it was costly and unsafe, so they banned drilling in LA, but that ban is lifted.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:44 PM   #637
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Not to mention that you could build Heavy Rail elevated anyway, so that negates the potential drilling issues. IIRC the main reason most of the lines are LR is the cost to build heavy rail, be it elevated or in a tunnel.

Steve
Old October 29th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #638
soup or man
Avant Garde

Today, a miracle in the City of Angels.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/1..._votes_for.php
Quote:
And it's on its way: This morning, the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority Metro Board approved the route for the Westside subway, picking the 9-mile Wilshire Boulevard to Westwood/VA hospital path option. “This is a historic day, this is the first time in our lifetime…that we have gotten this close to extending and building a subway through the Wilshire Corridor," said Zev Yaroslavsky, a county supervisor and board member at today's meeting, held at Metro's downtown headquarters. Additionally, and as expected, the board voted to drop that station at Crenshaw Boulevard. As far as a timeline on construction, David Mieger, Deputy Executive Officer at Metro, said initial work on the Westside subway will start late next year. The first steps will be utility relocation, right of way acquisition and early paleontology work along Wilshire Boulevard (our slumbering ancestors are lodged along the planned subway route, and those fossils need to be removed, according to Mieger).
Beverly Hills residents speak out, Mayor weighs in on possible lawsuit.>>>

While a decision on where to put that controversial planned Century City stop--the subway will go through the area, although it's not exactly clear what route it will take--wasn't up for a final vote today, dozens of people came out to speak on the topic. As covered before, many Beverly Hills residents want a more northerly route that would avoid tunneling under both homes and Beverly Hills High. Others want a stop closer to Century City, at Constellation Boulevard or Avenue of the Stars.

Ken Goldman, President of the Southwest Homeowners Association, told the board that you “don’t trade the safety of our only high school…just to save riders from walking one block.” Beverly Hills councilwoman Nancy Krasne also asked that the route skip Beverly Hills High. "All our treasured assets are there," she said. "Our children." As an alternative suggestion, Beverly Hills vice mayor Barry Brucker proposed "a moving sidewalk off Santa Monica Boulevard," to ferry people to the subway stop.

After numerous Beverly Hills residents spoke, Jeff Jacobberger, chair of the Mid City West Community Council, got up and had a tart response to the speakers from Beverly Hills. In support of a stop closer to Century City, he told the board: "I’m going to say something no one from Beverly Hills said this morning: I took Metro to this meeting." (As it turns out, a Beverly Hills supporter also took public transportation to the meeting, it was later revealed by a speaker). But Jacobberger's point seemed to re-iterate the fight over this subway stop is perceived by some as a socioeconomic battle. He told the board: "You should build a transit service that services transit riders…rather than catering to the wealthy."

Susan Bursk, President and CEO of the Century City Chamber of Commerce, was also one of those who spoke out in favor of a stop at Avenue of the Stars.

As Streetsblog first reported, yesterday Yaroslavsky submitted a motion that "would order a 'full exploration' of the risks of tunneling under Beverly Hills to construct the Westside Subway, a move that looks to somehow placate those worried about tunneling under Beverly Hills. At a press conference after the vote, Mayor Villaraigosa was asked about a possible lawsuit filed on behalf of Beverly Hills residents, and replied: "I think we will work the concerns out." And in an apparent nod to the forthcoming subway studies planned in Beverly Hills, he said that "science has to dictate [the subway stop choice], not other considerations."
Old October 29th, 2010, 02:16 AM   #639
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Honestly, these Measure R projects, mainly the Wilshire Subway and the Downtown Connector, will reshape Los Angeles more than anything in the history of the city and metropolis. This is such a game changer and most of the people in the area have no idea. New developments, pedestrian friendly streets, transit options, wow, so much will come from this. Truly a great day.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #640
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

LA, the 2nd largest city in US, has smaller transit system than the 3rd largest, Chicago. LA has serious work cut out for them.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles