daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #661
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17038

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Maybe because most Northeastern cities already have their systems in place and have had them for around a century or so. The T in Boston is quite extensive, especially since the city itself is relatively small. Comparing a system being built essentially from scratch to one that's served vital areas for decades is simply unfair.
Its still lacking , and they have plans there not being fast tracked , Philly has the worst system. Boston needs to bridge the gaps , NYC has gaps in Queens and Brookyln , SI has only one 1 and is slow with the rest of the plans. Baltimore has a terrible system , NJ , SE PA , MA , NH and MD need to restore aton of lines. The plans are all set , just no $$$.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #662
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

Has anyone noticed metro seems to be scrubbing all the brake dust thats accumulated over the last decade out of the Hollywood/Highland station overhangs? And does anyone know why the Universal City station is covered in scaffolding inside? It looks like they are just replacing all the lights (what i always thought was a flaw with their design) but that shouldn't take as long as the scaffolding has been there.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #663
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Hello Everyone - First post (although I've been a 'lurker' for a few days now)
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #664
Davodavo
inFocusDC.com

Likes (Received): 45

We've got projects, we've got ideas, but we need more than that.

LA deserves a much better public transportation network.

Old November 25th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #665
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

LA is definitely working on it. A new line opened last year. Another opens next year. There are two rail lines under construction now, another starts next year, a BRT extension is under construction now and with measure R, you will see about 8 more lines be built in the near future. Not to mention the California High Speed rail project.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 02:33 AM   #666
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanCleverly View Post
Hello Everyone - First post (although I've been a 'lurker' for a few days now)
Great post. Welcome aboard.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #667
Kenni
Admin

I'm very excited about the Aqua Line (aka Expo Line) opening soon. They're testing the new trains these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #668
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Its still lacking , and they have plans there not being fast tracked , Philly has the worst system. Boston needs to bridge the gaps , NYC has gaps in Queens and Brookyln , SI has only one 1 and is slow with the rest of the plans. Baltimore has a terrible system , NJ , SE PA , MA , NH and MD need to restore aton of lines. The plans are all set , just no $$$.
We cant have rapid transit serve every parts of the city. Thats why we have buses.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #669
LosAngelesSportsFan

Expo Phase two (the extension from Culver City to Santa Monica) has been approved and construction will start within the year!

Gold Line Foothill Extension is also under construction.

Were headed the right way!
Old April 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #670
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Metro Website
Metro tonight will become the new owner of Union Station, 38 acres of land around the station and the development rights associated with that land in the $75-million deal. The next step will be developing a master plan for the station.

Metro’s $75 million real estate purchase from ProLogis Logistics Services Incorporated closes today, marking a new milestone in the station’s 72-year history and paving the way for future improvements to bring Southern California’s largest public transportation hub into the 21st century......<continues>
Taken from the LA Metro's Website
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:19 AM   #671
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

The Expo Line station markers are being installed.

And a refresher on the Expo Line route.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:24 AM   #672
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
snip
So it will be called the Aqua Line then.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM   #673
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

would be good to name the lines with numbers or letters, coz with each new line all it will be harder to name them with the main colors

And btw. it's pity that the line wasnt built indipendend from road traffic, in a trench or something similar - not fully underground if that's so expensive. All those level crossings make it to a tram-lrt and not a real metro unfortunately.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #674
FDW

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
would be good to name the lines with numbers or letters, coz with each new line all it will be harder to name them with the main colors
I was thinking of this as well. My idea would be to assign a color to each mode of transportation (So Heavy Rail (Subway) would get one, Light Rail (Rapid Tram) another, Commuter Rail (Suburban Rail) a third and the BRT/Rapid Bus lines a fourth), and then each route would be numbered depending upon it's age, so the oldest services would be numbered lowest.
FDW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #675
LosAngelesSportsFan

Well, im pretty sure once the regional connector subway is completed (it ties together 4 different light rail lines in downtown LA and should start construction in the next couple years), then the MTA will shift to numbers and letters. We are already running out of base colors and with a bunch of new lines planned, its only a matter of time.
Old April 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #676
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Why not get rid of silver line, the BRT route and rename it to BRT line 1 and 2 and so on...
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #677
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Can't you guys come up with more "Colorful" names beside numbers and/or the alphabet?

I believe you guys can do better then us Japanese. How about placing naming rights on sales?
I bet a lot of corporations that have significant connection to a certain line would be interested like a company that has their headquarters in front of those lines.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #678
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Long names are hard to remeber and it takes years to speak them up. With numbers ist easy and can be used by anybody, tourists and locals, and there is no need to learn anything. With many lines i.e. Tokyo and tons of names it doesnt say anything to me Tohoku, tozai, Asakusa line. Plus there is a name for every private local railway line, which means dozens and dozens of words - almost a proper language!

If yu have to remeber: take 4 then change for 8 - all yu need to remember is 4 and 8. When yu have to use full names it's much harder. Its just making complicated things that are simple.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #679
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Can't you guys come up with more "Colorful" names beside numbers and/or the alphabet?

I believe you guys can do better then us Japanese. How about placing naming rights on sales?
I bet a lot of corporations that have significant connection to a certain line would be interested like a company that has their headquarters in front of those lines.
Dunno what LA's plans are, but Seattle lets local businesses sponsor stops:
http://www.seattlestreetcar.org/map/

On blog criticized Amazon.com for not sponsoring the Terry and Mercer stop thats right in the middle of their new campus.
Old April 24th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #680
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Dunno what LA's plans are, but Seattle lets local businesses sponsor stops:
http://www.seattlestreetcar.org/map/

On blog criticized Amazon.com for not sponsoring the Terry and Mercer stop thats right in the middle of their new campus.
Well...you guys (in Seattle) shouldn't complain too much because you have the S.L.U.T. (South Lake Union Trolley). I want to go there and buy one of those shirts that say 'I've ridden the S.L.U.T.'). Lol.

But what LA should do in the near future is give names to their lines. I would name them like this:

Red Line = Hollywood Line
Purple Line = Wilshire Line
Blue Line = Long Beach Line
Green Line = Century Line since it mostly runs inside of the Century (105) Freeway
Gold Line = Pasadena Line

Then tie in with the eventual Crenshaw Line and Santa Ana Line.

Tags
los angeles